• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are there games you play on mute?

Not completely, but partially, there are.

Atlus games, I play on mute for the most part.
During dungeons where I already heard the music. During random battles.
And exploring dungeons and random battles are like 70% of most of their game's playtime.

Their games have fantastic music, but I don't want to listen to it for 2 hours each.

I unmute when it's a important battle, story moment, or during the first hour of a new dungeon.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Most AAA games. Not many of them have memorable music so i just blast a youtube video or some EDM instead.

Honestly a game without a great soundtrack can never be a 10/10 in my eyes. if the tunes aren't memorable and i set the music to low, you need a better composer

Last edited:

Quasicat

I usually play Fortnite with friends with the sound turned down chatting through my phone. When I play it on my own, I turn the sound up and it’s too much with all of the footsteps and shooting in the distance. So I listen to a podcast instead.

amigastar

I usually try to play games with my music in the background. These are games where you don't need to listen to their audio like Diablo 4, so yes.

Not completely muted most of the time but I listen to Sacred Symbols a lot while I play games.

Weirdly enough when I'm playing Battlefield or COD I sometimes do better with a podcast playing then actual in game audio lol

Drizzlehell

Banned
I put on podcasts and youtube videos on a second monitor very often for games where I don't care about the story or it's non-existent. I never outright mute those games because I still want to hear some feedback from what I'm doing but I'll usually bring the volume down a little so that I could hear the podcast more.

The only game where I literally muted something was Borderlands 3, where I completely turned off the dialogue volume because it was so annoying that I didn't care about it.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Are there games you play on mute? Maybe you toss on a podcast in the background or play your own music?
My go-to atm is Fall Guys. I hop on for an hour or so, but I mostly play it on mute these days.
I did this with the first Luigi's Mansion and 3rd. I like the game with volume but I'd throw on an instrumental track as I played. I've done the same with the Suikoden games (2-4) or with racing games I tend to do this a lot.

Pejo

Games that I put a lot of hours into, I will eventually turn off the BGM and start listening to my own music. Stuff like Rocket League, Monster Hunter, etc.

Not necessarily because I don't like the music, but just because I've heard it too much and want to hear something else.

Sorcerer

I leave dialogue and sound effects on but shut the music if possible because I like to listen to podcasts. If a dramatic point or ending of a game is approaching, I turn music back on and shut the podcast.

Last edited:
No, but in some games I mute occasional if there is some kind of really annoying repetitive sound. Such as in Zelda 3, when I'm low on hearts. Can't stand the beep, christ. Super stressful.

kiphalfton

Pretty sure my brother wanted to kill me when I was playing the first kingdom hearts game, and kept walking around Transverse Town.

For the unaware:

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
Need for Speed Underground 2.
I literally mute every single music track except for Black Betty because they all fucking suck.
Especially when both its predecessor and its follow-up (Underground and Most Wanted, respectively), had some of the best soundtracks in gaming

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Pretty sure my brother wanted to kill me when I was playing the first kingdom hearts game, and kept walking around Transverse Town.

For the unaware:

Kingdom Hearts music is good until you hear it for the 10th time on loop because you're confused on where to go next

great game and all but holy fuck....

Alex11

Only one, GTA 5, I had it installed on my PC from launch day till 2019, and in the span of 2017-2019 it was my therapy game. Just played ~1h per day, every day in those 2 years, on mute, with music in the background, I had the Duke O'Death, fully upgraded and just going to town on the cops, just pure mayhem and fun.

Laptop1991

No i don't, means ive wasted money on a soundcard and speaker's, i turn the music down of off in some games, but i've never
played a game on mute personally.

Last edited:

Damigos

WoW cause usually i do1 million other things
Hearthstone cause i either play wow and hearthstone at the same time or i play mobile
Diablo 4 on PS5 cause i have a baby at home
Everything else i play normally, with headphones, during the night

xrnzaaas

Almost never on complete mute but I sometimes can't stand the teenage banter in games like Need for Speed and I disable it. Same goes with muting all hiphop stations/songs if that's possible.

jm89

I muted GT7 when trying to get gold on some of the really tough licenses.

Hearing the start race sound and failing the test sound drove me crazy after i retried a license for the 100th time.

I do it for other games when there is some boss or some section i'm struggling, oddly helps.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Vampire Survivors and Streets of Rage 4 are games can play on mute if I want to listen to something else. No story to pay attention to.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I muted GT7 when trying to get gold on some of the really tough licenses.

Hearing the start race sound and failing the test sound drove me crazy after i retried a license for the 100th time.

I do it for other games when there is some boss or some section i'm struggling, oddly helps.
License tests should not be in GT in general. They're time wasting and infuriating especially on repeat playthroughs when you know the fundamentals already

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Diablo during the dungeon crawls. Not mute per-say, but lower volume with a podcast or something running in my ears via earphones.

HL3.exe

Pretty much every game, with a podcast running in the background.

Only up until some demand my attention, (stuff like system shock because it doesn't even has objectives or waypoints) which rarely happens.

Diablo 4 at the minute, and before that Destiny 2. But I'm not playing them necessarily on mute, more like at 10-15% volume and listening to a podcast or watching netlfix/youtube on a separate screen.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Every game that isn't heavily story focused, I often have a podcast or a video and sometimes I have music too.I may have a litle attention trouble, when I was younger I used to watch 2 videos simultaneously.But now it's more things to keep my mind occupied and most games aren't enough...Except games moving pretty fast.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Zelda: BOTW and Tears Of the Kingdom.

While the music is kinda nice to start with, it gets super repetitive and annoying. The worst part is the weird moans all the NPC's do when you interact with them. It was funny at the start but it's just lame now.

My girl play its on almost full volume while im watching TV and its grinds my fucking gears.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
You're just listening to the wrong version of the soundtrack.

Oh No Please GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Yeah, Tetris. I keep it muted because I'm usually doing something else at the same time. Like shitting or listening to a podcast..

Even if I'm listening to a documentary in the background, I don't ever put a game on mute, though I might turn it down some. But yeah depending on the game I will often listen to documentaries simultaneously.

Top Bottom