• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are games devolving or not?

kyussman

Given it seems a majority of the people making them(certainly in the US)are ideologically captured ignorant brainwashed morons.....I have to say yes,games are indeed devolving.

Duchess

GrNtEGB.jpg
And the fries and cola are only available on Xbox because Microsoft bought the companies that make them :)

marjo

This is why AA is important, look at RoboCop Rogue City, that game has some of the better destruction physics around, yes it's not perfect put it adds to to the charm seeing a criminal fuck up physics wise and turn into a pretzel after being blasted up
I haven't got it yet, but some of the clips I've seen of RoboCop actually remind me of the old Build engine games (i.e. the original Duke Nukem), where a room would look completely destroyed after an intense fire fight. I loved that shit and really miss it in most modern games.

StueyDuck

Given it seems a majority of the people making them(certainly in the US)are ideologically captured ignorant brainwashed morons.....I have to say yes,games are indeed devolving.
while i agree that there is definitely a shit ton of self inserts and pandering today in gaming, I also think a lot of devs aren''t devs by passion, but there cause it's a job or there just to "change" things.

you can always tell when a game is made with passion vs a game made by entities used by external sources for what ever reason, where it's hunting for cash cows or pushing agendas etc.

In terms of fully fledged AAA products I haven't played one this year that felt like a passion project instead of just iteration and chasing the most money (because modern day entertainment isn't allowed to just do well, it has to break records and bring in more profit than ever before, or else you are done).

Last edited:

killatopak

Yes.

Games before was catered to specific audiences. Those audiences however weren’t enough so the developers had to dumb down their games to expand the audience.

Ehhhh, the grass is always greener, and nostalgia is a hell of a drug........

Some games may have gone backwards, but gaming as a whole is in such a good place right now. Go look at a GOTY thread and start making a list of how many amazing games have come out this year. My backlog of recent must play games is insane, and getting longer every day. I also think that when people go back and play some of theses older games they will realize how hard it is to play them. Just because it was the best thing ever 20 years ago doesn't mean the gameplay is going to hold up today.

Top Bottom