• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AppLovin offers to buy video game software maker Unity in $17.5 bln deal

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
AppLovin_Logo_Vert_Blue_2019_RGB-01.png

Gaming software company AppLovin Corp (APP.O) made an offer on Tuesday to buy its peer Unity Software Inc (U.N) in a $17.54 billion all-stock deal, threatening to derail Unity's announced plan to acquire AppLovin's smaller competitor ironSource .

AppLovin hired advisors to work out an offer after Unity last month said it would buy ironSource in a $4.4 billion all-stock transaction, sources familiar with the matter told Reuters. Unity's board will have to terminate the ironSource deal if it wants to pursue a combination with AppLovin, according to the proposal.

Unity said its board would evaluate the offer. The company is slated to report its earnings after the bell on Tuesday.

CamHostage

Fuckin' what is the value of money?!

I just can't tell anymore, the last time I felt I understood what was worth what in the world was when Marvel and Star Wars each sold for $4bil each and that seemed to make sense for brands with clear and lasting value... after that, the concept of a billion dollars and who has a billion to spend just seems to be anything-goes.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Unity is in such a bad state when basically two invasive ads companies are this interested in you.......and you are seriously considering it.

Didnt Unity just split up Weta?
WetaFX should just buy back WetaDigital and while they are at it grab Ziva Dynamics and save them from Unity Technologies garbage.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Why haven’t we heard of this gaming software company that has 17 billion to spend before? Even the name is weird. AppLovin? Really?

Shifty

Sink Unity below the mobile gaming line with terrible PR, then wait for a dubious shell company to emerge from the depths with a big sack of cash.

Darth Riccitiello's plan is going off without a hitch.

Darth Sidious Laugh GIF - Star Wars Sith Lord Darth Sidious - Discover ...

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Never heard of them.
Don't let the Western-ish name fool you. It's just China's umbrella growing larger
I thought so too, but reading a bit further it seems that the acquisitions wasn’t allowed to go through, which is missing from your screen cap;
“The acquisition deal was subsequently abandoned for debt investment after opposition to the plans from the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States”

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Banned
Never heard of them.

I thought so too, but reading a bit further it seems that the acquisitions wasn’t allowed to go through, which is missing from your screen cap;
“The acquisition deal was subsequently abandoned for debt investment after opposition to the plans from CFIUS”

Oh whoops. I admittedly did stop reading since I figured it was corporate jargon after

Top Bottom