• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Preparing a ‘Portable Hybrid Console’ With a Brand New SoC That Offers Enhanced GPU Performance Increase

reinking

Gold Member
I am an Android phone user but I would welcome them into the market if they launched a console Looking at their devices like Apple TV their hardware is solid.

kyussman

I'm guessing I'll be able to buy a PS5,XSX,a year of PS+,a year of Xbox Live and a handful of games for the same price as this is gonna cost,lol.

I hope it doesn't go the same way as Google and Amazon's attempt at breaking in to the console industry.

I hope it flops like a donkey's flaccid cock. Fuck Apple and there over priced pretentious crap.

sad puke GIF

rolandss

If this is true Nintendo has one hell of a fight on its hands
Not if Apple price it anything else like the rest of their product line. Nintendo are expensive already but imagine an Apple version. It’ll be twice the price if not more.

Good luck to them, but this is a hard business to crack. Nintendo is killing it in the face of mobile gaming for a few reasons but a big one is Nintendo first party. They have a huge fan base and goodwill towards their key franchises. Apple can’t match that. If it’s real my guess is they’ll buy a few exclusives, but it’ll mostly be another way of playing mobile games on Apple Arcade with enhanced graphics.

To me, the fact the iPhone and iPad exist makes this rumour really suss anyway. They release yearly and each iteration they get more and more powerful and there’s a thriving gaming market in the App Store already.

It would make more sense to me for Apple to release a really beefed up Apple TV and go for the home console market. A true all in one entertainment box that sits under your TV powered by Apple silicon with a proper GPU that plays PS5 level games and also has all the other functions of an Apple TV. If you had an Apple TV in the form factor similar to a Mac Mini, maybe slight larger, that also got all the multiplats PS5 and Xbox got, it’s own Arcade service for casuals, and Apple threw some of their endless amounts of money behind some exclusive AAA IP, that would be a true competitor in the gaming space.

Zeroing

Banned
Not everything Apple does is a success. Also entering the gaming business is a hard thing. The days of Apple launching revolutionary products are long gone

We don't need any more players in the console business.
Very debatable. If they can bring something new to the industry that's an overall net positive and unique, then why not? Personally I think there's a space for a 4th but it would be someone focused on some type of tight integration between console gaming and arcade/FEC (and given the state of things, theater) gaming, giving a big boon to those markets while also benefiting gaming.

Apple doesn't seem like that particular company, though, so the market innovation angle is harder to justify or see coming from there. And market innovation (not just in terms of end user experience but also business and development models that are tightly integrated through a vertical stack) is something a 4th player must bring to stand a chance.

2021 Apple is making so great products: even the MacBook Air, or the iPhone 12 are powerful hardwares. And off course, they are not coming back with a Pipin. This Apple is long time dead.

They make so much money, they can sell it at loose, like the others anyway. With the right games, it could be a sucess. Did I say they make so much more money than Nintendo would ever make ? Apple has so much more money than the other 3 will ever make. Apple is fuking rich. If they come to gaming, they are coming to sell big.

And like it or not, Apple with its silicon is a killer.

Oh, and please Apple, buy SEGA... just to the reaction from the fans of the american box with Windows inside. 🤡😂

Last edited:

Mistake

Apple has the app store for mobile games already, but when it comes to consoles, I don’t see anyone getting past the big 3. VR companies are the only one so far

Last edited:

GHG

I've said it for a while now but they would be stupid not to get involved considering how good their chips are along with apple arcade.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Apple can crash and burn. I don’t want them in the gaming hardware business.
I'm grossed out by this.. I've had enough of them in this industry. They came in and bulldozed with almost no effort, and then we got "gacha" gaming. Which was derived from smart phone games. I don't want Apple and games together, unless they bring some REALLY amazing games themselves that I actually like.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
There's a few caveats that do throw a wrench in this making sense for Apple:

- They are already dwarfing the console business in game software revenue, mostly from F2P games or $2-5 games that also have MTX
- They are way dwarfing them in hardware profits, selling 2.2 billion devices in around 2 console generations w/ hundreds of dollars of profit per sale

What use would it be for Apple to truly enter the "console" business?

They might see one.. as they have hit the wall as far as much growth potential in their current business.. but it would likely be a phone w/ better gaming capabilities, maybe an Apple branded really slick controller add-on... not a "game console"

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
If this launched at a mass market price of 299, it could have a chance. Imagine if they partnered with ms for software........

Dr Bass

I've said it for a while now but they would be stupid not to get involved considering how good their chips are along with apple arcade.
That's the scary part. The hardware is so good in terms of mobile performance they could make something that could run amazing games in a small form factor. Imagine them becoming a power player in the games industry. They would try to lock up control in yet another area ...

Robins

Key 2 problems Apple would need to overcome.

A price that is competitive against the switch (unlikely).

Videogame software that doesn't feel like it was designed for the phone (Possible but takes time).

reinking

Gold Member
Videogame software that doesn't feel like it was designed for the phone (Possible but takes time).
I would argue we are getting to a point that a lot of games are already starting to blend those lines. I am not happy about it but it is happening.

FStubbs

I'm sure Apple in their R&D have probably created a Switch-like device to prove out some of their admittedly amazing cpu/gpu tech (they're what now, 2.5 years ahead of anyone else in ARM at this point?) but I don't think they'd ever bring it to market. Doesn't fit their ecosystem. Even if they did run Nintendo out of business, the opportunity cost of doing so wouldn't be worth it. Gaming will continue to be something Apple supports on their general purpose devices along with all the other stuff iOS devices do.

THE DUCK

I wouldn't assume Apple can't or won't be able to make a mass market price, they have been selling $300-349 iPad forever very successfuly......

The bigger issue for them would be exclusive software.

Kirazuki_01

Neo Member
This will be expensive as hell and be locked away from the emulation freedom you get with android handhelds. No thanks

FStubbs

I wouldn't assume Apple can't or won't be able to make a mass market price, they have been selling $300-349 iPad forever very successfuly......

The bigger issue for them would be exclusive software.
That wouldn't be a big deal. They have exclusives now like Fantasian.

... I don't think they'd WANT exclusives, at least to their gaming device. They'd want games you could play on your iOS devices too, which means it will be just another iOS device.

To actually make a device and ecosystem that would run Nintendo out of business would require Apple to do some very un-Apple things. I think they could do it through sheer force, but it would cost more than it would be worth to them.

THE DUCK

That wouldn't be a big deal. They have exclusives now like Fantasian.

... I don't think they'd WANT exclusives, at least to their gaming device. They'd want games you could play on your iOS devices too, which means it will be just another iOS device.

To actually make a device and ecosystem that would run Nintendo out of business would require Apple to do some very un-Apple things. I think they could do it through sheer force, but it would cost more than it would be worth to them.

I'm not sure I agree with that, Nintendo is the apple of the gaming world, and they made it work. It just takes the right combination of hardware, price and games to make it a success. The history of the gaming market proves this can be done, just look at how Sony and ms started out with nothing.

It wouldn't even cost them that much, with apple brand recognition and the right software partners.

Last edited:

FStubbs

I'm not sure I agree with that, Nintendo is the apple of the gaming world, and they made it work. It just takes the right combination of hardware, price and games to make it a success. The history of the gaming market proves this can be done, just look at how Sony and ms started out with nothing.

It wouldn't even cost them that much, with apple brand recognition and the right software partners.
Nintendo and Apple have radically different philosophies, because in the end, they have radically different origins so I don't know if I can agree that Nintendo is the Apple of the gaming world. If anything, Sony being an innovative gadget company from the beginning makes them closer to Apple than Nintendo is. But even Sony produced music and movies, so Sony already had the DNA in their company to produce entertainment. (Not to mention Sony helped Nintendo create the SNES and we all know what happened to make Playstation happen.)

Nintendo is, at the end of the day, a toy/games company. Apple is a tech company that pushes their ecosystem on high end expensive devices. Other than both having integrated hardware/software solutions, their philosophies are very different.

For Apple to run Nintendo out of the market, they would need to outprice them (which they can do since they create their own cpus and gpus), starve Nintendo of third party content, and create compelling first party content. These are things they could do but it would cost a LOT of money. Microsoft threw a lot of money at the problem and still hasn't solved it (though Apple is probably a lot smarter than Microsoft in consumer products, admittedly).

Zeroing

Banned
Nintendo and Apple have radically different philosophies, because in the end, they have radically different origins so I don't know if I can agree that Nintendo is the Apple of the gaming world. If anything, Sony being an innovative gadget company from the beginning makes them closer to Apple than Nintendo is. But even Sony produced music and movies, so Sony already had the DNA in their company to produce entertainment. (Not to mention Sony helped Nintendo create the SNES and we all know what happened to make Playstation happen.)

Nintendo is, at the end of the day, a toy/games company. Apple is a tech company that pushes their ecosystem on high end expensive devices. Other than both having integrated hardware/software solutions, their philosophies are very different.

For Apple to run Nintendo out of the market, they would need to outprice them (which they can do since they create their own cpus and gpus), starve Nintendo of third party content, and create compelling first party content. These are things they could do but it would cost a LOT of money. Microsoft threw a lot of money at the problem and still hasn't solved it (though Apple is probably a lot smarter than Microsoft in consumer products, admittedly).
The problem with MS was they, kept trying to anticipate what Apple would do and it wasn’t what they would do, Xbox one tv - Apple TV
so they lost years in that absurd quest

I am almost sure Apple will copy Nintendo switch, lately we are seeing that trend, like what they did with the air tags.

Apple will not compete with price. it will be the usual “high end Apple experience” meaning it will be expensive.

Kerotan

So the switch will finally have a competitor. I'm firmly team switch and hope it dominates the apple console.

FStubbs

The problem with MS was they, kept trying to anticipate what Apple would do and it wasn’t what they would do, Xbox one tv - Apple TV
so they lost years in that absurd quest

I am almost sure Apple will copy Nintendo switch, lately we are seeing that trend, like what they did with the air tags.

Apple will not compete with price. it will be the usual “high end Apple experience” meaning it will be expensive.
At which point it won't work against the Switch. Like I said, they could beat the Switch and run Nintendo out of business but they'd have to very un-Apple things. An Apple hybrid device would still run iOS and be integrated into their ecosystem, and not be a gaming-focused device.

Vestal

Gold Member
If this is true Nintendo has one hell of a fight on its hands.
No it doesn't. Look I love Apple devices, however they are premium devices in which you pay a premium because its Apple. Apple has no gaming background, no real first party studios, and they don't have a real footprint in the gaming market outside of Apple Arcade. Nintendo has arguably the greatest franchises in all of Gaming, and continue to pump out high quality polished games that the masses eat up.

SNG32

If this is true Nintendo has one hell of a fight on its hands.

lol is this sarcasm. First of all if you can play all the games on your phone people won’t buy this in droves unless they are making exclusives for it. I think Nintendo will be just fine.30 years of brand loyalty and exclusive nintendo titles don’t go away over night. Nintendo has destroyed both Sony portables when they were competeting.

ZehDon

Gold Member
There are only a few certain things in this world.

Never fight a land war in Asia.
Never bet against James Cameron.
And you never go against Nintendo in the handheld market.

Good luck and may God have mercy on you Apple, because Nintendo surely won't.

Zeroing

Banned
At which point it won't work against the Switch. Like I said, they could beat the Switch and run Nintendo out of business but they'd have to very un-Apple things. An Apple hybrid device would still run iOS and be integrated into their ecosystem, and not be a gaming-focused device.
Yes and technically they already have an hybrid, all iOS apps and games can run on M1 chips, so does on the Apple TV and now Apple supports controllers…. AAA gaming on macs been neglected for a long time.

Top Bottom