• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apex Legends Next-Gen Versions - Tomorrow (March 29)

8BiTw0LF

Banned

NEXT-GEN UPDATES​

This patch is also bringing some sweet updates for Playstation 5 and Xbox Series X|S owners. On March 29, we will be launching the native next-gen versions of Apex Legends. You will be able to play your favorite game in native 4K (PS5 & Xbox Series X) along with the game being outputted in glorious HDR. Additionally, we are planning support for more next-gen features in future updates.

Improvements over back-compat versions:

• 4K output
PS5 & Xbox Series X
  • Full 60hz gameplay
PS5 & Xbox Series X|S
  • HDR
PS5 & Xbox Series X|S
  • Higher resolution shadow maps
PS5 & Xbox Series X
  • Greater LOD distances
PS5 & Xbox Series X
Coming in future updates:

• 120hz gameplay
PS5 & Xbox Series X|S
  • Adaptive triggers
PS5
  • Haptics
PS5
  • Visual Improvements
PS5 & Xbox Series X|S
  • Audio Improvements
PS5 & Xbox Series X|S
To ensure you have the latest version starting March 29:

For PS5 Owners who already have Apex Legends installed:

Navigate to the Game Hub for Apex Legends on the PS5 dashboard.
Press the "Options" button next to "Play Game" (represented by "..." inside the Game Hub).
Press "Select Version" and choose the PS5 version to download the updated next-gen version.
Once the download is complete, navigate to the Game Library to delete the PS4 version.

For PS5 Owners who do not currently have Apex Legends installed:

Navigate to the "Your Collection" tab of the Game Library on the PS5 dashboard.
Find Apex Legends in your list of games and select it.
When prompted, choose the PS5 version to download the updated next-gen version.

For Xbox Series X/S Owners:

Apex Legends uses Smart Delivery on Xbox consoles. The best version of the game is automatically delivered to your console, regardless of generation – no extra steps are required from you.

Hoddi

I thought the game was already running at 60fps on the last gen consoles. Am I missing something here?

I don't mean to sound negative but it's starting to feel like 99% of these 'next-gen' variants are just slightly tweaked config files. Like, it takes four years to create the entire thing but then it needs two whole years just to tweak the resolution a bit.

Banned
on the one hand, a res boost would be nice to spot and identify distant enemies, on the other hand due to it being a native PS5 app I would have to use the Dualsense controller which completely cramps up my hands when playing intense games like Apex for more than 30min (THANKS AGAIN SONY BTW! FUCKING STUPID FUCKING ARBITRARY CONTROLLER LOCK!)

I might just wait for the 120fps patch that will come at a later date until I switch to the PS5 version

I thought the game was already running at 60fps on the last gen consoles. Am I missing something here

I don't mean to sound negative but it's starting to feel like 99% of these 'next-gen' variants are just slightly tweaked config files. Like, it takes four years to create the entire thing but then it needs two whole years just to tweak the resolution a bit

well it ran at 60fps as much as Elden Ring on Series X runs at 60fps... meaning rarely and barely. playing on the new consoles fixed that of course, a 120fps patch will come at a later date

and of course these next gen updates are mostly just .ini tweaks

Last edited:
Smart Delivery is pretty cool. It's neat to not have to do anything to get the best version of a game on your platform.
It's even neater being able to choose between the two. Like how the PS4 version of Elden Ring on PS5 ran better than either the Series X or PS5 versions. Or how Dying Light 2 doesn't let you play with your friends if they're still stuck on the previous gen hardware, so it's either last gen version on your current gen console or nothing. It's nice to have options.

Justin9mm

I played Apex within the first few months of release for a few hours and never picked it up again. Can someone let me know if it is much improved and worthy to jump back in. I found it meh at the time.

It's even neater being able to choose between the two. Like how the PS4 version of Elden Ring on PS5 ran better than either the Series X or PS5 versions. Or how Dying Light 2 doesn't let you play with your friends if they're still stuck on the previous gen hardware, so it's either last gen version on your current gen console or nothing. It's nice to have options.
Seems like the PS4 version being the best running version of Elden Ring on PS5 even over the PS5 version is more of a bug than a feature. I shouldn't have to run a last generation version of a game to get good performance on my new console and it certainly can't be taken as a knock against Smart Delivery.

Under normal circumstances I would want to best version of a game for my system and that is exactly what Smart Delivery does. Not having to fiddle with game saves and settings is exactly what console gaming is all about.

Last edited:
Bruh what the fuck man.

This has been in the works for 18 months and the Series S improvements are:

1. Full 60fps (instead of unlocked 60fps)
  2. HDR
What in the ever loving fuck? What the absolute fuck.

Those are headline features.

If you have been playing it already, you will notice upgrade immediately.

Series S is biggest beneficiary in next gen patches. Series x already run one x version so IQ improvement tends to be miniscule.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Those are headline features.

If you have been playing it already, you will notice upgrade immediately.

Series S is biggest beneficiary in next gen patches. Series x already run one x version so IQ improvement tends to be miniscule.
I have and ok, I will check. But you would have thought they’d have mentioned fidelity improvements for Series S.

Last edited:
does anyone know what time this is going to drop? I don’t really want to download the previous gen version on Series X now just to download it all again later lol

Banjo64

cumsessed
Bruh what the fuck man.

2. HDR
Also the Series S version of Apex already has auto HDR

Helghan

Bruh what the fuck man.

2. HDR
What did you expect? I'm more disappointed in not having 120fps support yet. It's a multiplayer shooter, it's the most important aspect...

Klik

Bare minimum stuff after 1 year of hype.. Unbelievable.. Wtf they do for 1 year??

Last edited:

Boss Mog

As cool has adaptive trigger support would be for PS5, I could never use them in apex; it would put me at a huge disadvantage, especially considering I'm already at a big disadvantage for using a standard controller compared to the many who use enhanced controllers and cheat devices such as the Cronus Zen.

Banjo64

cumsessed
What did you expect? I'm more disappointed in not having 120fps support yet. It's a multiplayer shooter, it's the most important aspect...
Not sure mate but considering the Series S is 4* as powerful as the One S I was expecting a lot more than this.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
The two most important things I'd could ask for in an "next-gen" update for Apex are 120fps and sound optimization..

Guess I'll have to wait another 6 months - or more - let's see. By the timeframe Respawn had to get this out since PS5/XS release, I'm not expecting less.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
How does it not have 120hz? I'm here playing 170hz 1440p on a mid-range PC.
Edit
8BiTw0LF 8BiTw0LF Apex has had trash broken audio since launch. Don't expect them ever to fix it.
There's literally no excuse other than the rage from last-gen players getting upset over the edge (120fps) new-gen players have over them.

Yea, I know - but the 3D sound on PS5 sounds weird compared to "normal" sound, so if they just optimize for 3D sound and make it sound better, I'll be happy.

Helghan

Not sure mate but considering the Series S is 4* as powerful as the One S I was expecting a lot more than this.
Isn't that the whole thing about the Series S? The same experience as the Series X except lower resolution? The only thing missing now is that it also has a lower LOD distance. I don't really see an issue with it. They're also planning to add 120fps support for Series S.

There's literally no excuse other than the rage from last-gen players getting upset over the edge (120fps) new-gen players have over them.

Yea, I know - but the 3D sound on PS5 sounds weird compared to "normal" sound, so if they just optimize for 3D sound and make it sound better, I'll be happy.
Oh I didn't know. On PC I'm not a huge fan of any audio option but Dolby headphone has the most accurate directional audio for my ears. Still sounds bad though.

jorgejjvr

I played Apex within the first few months of release for a few hours and never picked it up again. Can someone let me know if it is much improved and worthy to jump back in. I found it meh at the time.
I mean, its the best BR around, if you have buddies to play with, its a blast

sendit

Until last gen stop's getting so much support it will remain that way. And it won't be 2 years until November.
Ultimate Warrior Wrestling GIF by WWE

Top Bottom