• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else own a rice cooker?

Catphish

I picked up a Zojirushi 'Fuzzy Logic' rice cooker a couple of months ago, largely because of this whole Japanese kick I've been on lately, and holy fking sht is this thing awesome.

Plain rice, rice with chicken and vegetables, rice with browned ground beef and vegetables,.. pretty much rice with anything else I want to mix with it, just throw it in there, mix it up, push the button, come back when it beeps, and Bam! Complete meal, ready to eat.

People laughed at me when I said I bought a $150 rice cooker. Tell you what, since I bought it, it's paid for itself with all the use I've gotten out of it, and it's by far the most used appliance in my kitchen. Plus, I'm eating a shit ton more veggies between this and my newfound addiction to stir fry.

Love this thing. Anyone else have one?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That is the brand I use too. I have a nice electronic one for over 10 years now and it looks and runs like it's day one. Made in Japan model.

It's fantastic. But I think my next investment is going to be an instapot, since it's a little more versatile and much quicker then a slow cooker for legumes and such. It's basically a pressure cooker, rice steamer, and slow cooker all in one. You can also make homemade plant based yogurts in it.

Last edited:

Catphish

That is the brand I use too. I have a nice electronic one for over 10 years now and it looks and runs like it's day one. Made in Japan model.

It's fantastic. But I think my next investment is going to be an instapot, since it's a little more versatile and much quicker then a slow cooker for legumes and such. It's basically a pressure cooker, rice steamer, and slow cooker all in one. You can also make homemade plant based yogurts in it.
Oooo. That sounds interesting. Got a link to one you're interested in?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That looks really impressive. The reviews are really good as well.

A couple of my friends have one and they rave about it all the time. It's one of those things you buy, and then you buy a cookbook with it (or look up recipes online) and just going to town experimenting with different recipes and combinations.

Last edited:

I bought an instapot last month. I made rice in it for the first time last night. It came out great. I just got the basic 3 quart $60 model. That $150 rice cooker must be something else.

Rice is one of my favorite foods, I usually make some a few times a week. I'm pretty good at doing it on the stove, but it's nice to have the instapot and not heat up my house so much. I'd never used a pressure cooker before. It's crazy how fast it works. The first I thing I cooked was some country style pork ribs. Fork tender in less than an hour. This instapot has been a very useful addition to my kitchen.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I bought an instapot last month. I made rice in it for the first time last night. It came out great. I just got the basic 3 quart $60 model. That $150 rice cooker must be something else.

Rice is one of my favorite foods, I usually make some a few times a week. I'm pretty good at doing it on the stove, but it's nice to have the instapot and not heat up my house so much. I'd never used a pressure cooker before. It's crazy how fast it works. The first I thing I cooked was some country style pork ribs. Fork tender in less than an hour. This instapot has been a very useful addition to my kitchen.

That's why I think I'm going to upgrade very soon and consolidate extra appliances that were separate for different tasks. All I hear are good things about them as you stated, and I'm living much more minimalistic now so it'll fit perfectly for that lifestyle.

ndreamer

I have something similar to the instant pot. I have used it to cook broth it takes hours instead of days and it cooks meals in a matter of minus.
Love steamed rice so a rice cooker is a must, plus my wife is Thai. I still cook sticky rice in a bamboo basket there's no substitute for that.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I have something similar to the instant pot. I have used it to cook broth it takes hours instead of days and it cooks meals in a matter of minus.
Love steamed rice so a rice cooker is a must, plus my wife is Thai. I still cook sticky rice in a bamboo basket there's no substitute for that.

Sticky rice in the bamboo baskets where comes out perfectly al dente, them mouthfeels tho!!!

My favorite!

TrainedRage

Banned
that's like a college student who only microwaves their cup noodles and not using boiling water, the taste is night and day
I know, I was just stirring the 'rice cooker'. Nah I know rice cookers are nice and make things more simple. They just take up a bit of space. But buying rice in bulk and having a rice cooker it like, not starving 101.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I know, I was just stirring the 'rice cooker'. Nah I know rice cookers are nice and make things more simple. They just take up a bit of space. But buying rice in bulk and having a rice cooker it like, not starving 101.

They make really small ones that are good for one or two people, even three that take up very minimal space.

But I know what you mean, hence why I'm going with an instapot next to condense the rice cooker and slow cooker.

Less is more sometimes.

highrider

Banned
I usually cook basmati rice if I do make some and it’s really easy, I’ve never felt the need for a specialized device for it. Although I am a professional chef so I’m more comfortable cooking than your average joe.

Sakura

When I was poor (well, still poor now) and trying to save money, I basically lived off a rice cooker. I'd eat rice with HP sauce all the time. Was pretty good.
Only thing I'd say is don't forget to clean it out. I stopped using it for a few months and totally forgot about it, then I opened it up and it was filled with some kind of pinkish rice soup. Absolutely disgusting.

$600 are you kidding me ?

I can't imagine it does anything special enoughto warrant that price.

Ya $600 seems absurd unless it does a lot more than just cook rice.

Perfectly good rice cookers between $50-100

I think mine was like $80 and I have been using it couple times a week more than 10 years.

Last edited:

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I was in the same boat, praising my rice cooker for the great effortless rice it produced. Then I got an instapot. The rice cooker is now sitting in a cabinet and I see no reason to ever get it out again. Pressure cooker does everything the rice cooker did and tons more. The best mini appliance purchase ever for me.

Makariel

I just have a simple rice cooker that was just a few hundred baht new, now it's over a decade old. It makes a noise when it's done.

Rice cookers are indeed awesome. Tons of food with so little work. :p I love making a rice and red lentil mix with lots of spices and variations. So filling, delicious, cheap and healthy.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Can't you just cook rice on anything? Does the rice cooker make it better tasting or is this just a convenience thing?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I have a Zojirushi water boiler for tea and the thing just doesn't quit! I've owned it for 3 years now.

I think I own a rice-cooker somewhere but I don't use it any more. I either cook it on the stove or I mix the rice with hot water overnight in a thermos to make congee for breakfast. it's super handy, though!

flacopol

... rice cooker?

just 1 cup of rice and 3 cups of water , when the water is evaporated... the rice is done... maybe yamani needs a little more water.... but... for rice?

BANGS

Banned
I pride myself on being a relatively good cook, but my god rice always eludes me. I can never get it right. I need to get myself a rice cooker, one day...

LordPezix

This is actually incorrect.

Even though glutamic acid is naturally found in many foods such as mushrooms, grapes, and tow-MATE-toes. When introduced to American Chinese food being served at an undercover triad resturant located somewhere in old china town, MSG has serious negative side effects.

You can find all my evidence in the movie - Revenge of the Green Dragons. It's a historical bio pic featuring Ray Liotta.

Even though it only received a 13% on RT, Google users gave it an 85% so it's really like a fresh 91% on RT if you weigh the averages.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
This is actually incorrect.

Even though glutamic acid is naturally found in many foods such as mushrooms, grapes, and tow-MATE-toes. When introduced to American Chinese food being served at an undercover triad resturant located somewhere in old china town, MSG has serious negative side effects.

You can find all my evidence in the movie - Revenge of the Green Dragons. It's a historical bio pic featuring Ray Liotta.

Even though it only received a 13% on RT, Google users gave it an 85% so it's really like a fresh 91% on RT if you weigh the averages.

q8S9vnJ.gif

lil puff

I pride myself on being a relatively good cook, but my god rice always eludes me. I can never get it right. I need to get myself a rice cooker, one day...
Same. I follow the instructions, but I always end up walking off to do something and come back and the bottom is scorched. (wow that word scorched looks weird if you look at it too long) I hate overcooked or undercooked rice. If it's not perfect it's garbage.

However we don't eat enough rice to justify a cooker, and I know I am too lazy to clean it, if it's not self cleaning.

BANGS

Banned
Same. I follow the instructions, but I always end up walking off to do something and come back and the bottom is scorched. (wow that word scorched looks weird if you look at it too long) I hate overcooked or undercooked rice. If it's not perfect it's garbage.

However we don't eat enough rice to justify a cooker, and I know I am too lazy to clean it, if it's not self cleaning.
Honestly I don't know what my malfunction is. I always leave it in for the recommended time, and it's always undercooked. I try to cook it longer, still tastes undercooked lol. Eventually I get hungry and impatient and just eat undercooked rice...

TrainedRage

Banned
Honestly I don't know what my malfunction is. I always leave it in for the recommended time, and it's always undercooked. I try to cook it longer, still tastes undercooked lol. Eventually I get hungry and impatient and just eat undercooked rice...
Maybe add more water, and salt.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I think that's what I'm doing... I'm not a patient cooker at all... I'm very active in the kitchen...
Trust your timer. It's the steam that cooks it properly, not the boiling water.

1. Bring water to boil.
2. Add rice.
3. Stir it a few times while it comes back to a boil (helps prevent sticking to bottom)
4. Once it starts to bubble, turn heat to Med-Low or Low (depending on your burner), put the lid on, and wait.
5. Cook with the lid on for 20m or so (it depends on the rice type)
6. Enjoy flawless rice!

BANGS

Banned
Trust your timer. It's the steam that cooks it properly, not the boiling water.

1. Bring water to boil.
2. Add rice.
3. Stir it a few times while it comes back to a boil (helps prevent sticking to bottom)
4. Once it starts to bubble, turn heat to Med-Low or Low (depending on your burner), put the lid on, and wait.
5. Cook with the lid on for 20m or so (it depends on the rice type)
6. Enjoy flawless rice!
You forgot step 7, check it every 2 minutes cause fuck me that's why lmfao

I'll keep this in mind, I had no idea breaking the seal could do so much damage. I assume this also applies to "boil in a bag" rice? Sometimes I use that and get the same problem lol

lil puff

It may be the heat level of the stove ... is my guess.

At least you added some crunch to your meal tho LOL

The rice that never fails me is the Uncle Bens Precooked. Pop that shit in the microwave and done. It has a nice firm texture that I actually like. And no cleaning.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

I'll keep this in mind, I had no idea breaking the seal could do so much damage. I assume this also applies to "boil in a bag" rice? Sometimes I use that and get the same problem lol
I'm not sure if it applies to the boil in a bag rice. Remember that rice is a dry grain. Every bit of water that you let out of the pot (in the form of steam when you open the lid) is water that's robbed from the final product.

cryptoadam

Banned

Not sure what kind of rice you are cooking but those steps seem very complicated. If its plain white rice put it in a pot with water (whatever is recommended on the box). Put the heat at about 5-7, and then let it go for about 7-10 mins.

Thats it. I cook rice that way 5 times a week. Just don't leave it in the pot to long or it will start to get burnt. Rice is literally the easiest thing to cook.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Okay, but seriously about MSG and delicious cooking and whatnot (science lesson time):

The sense of taste called 'umami' is primarily a tastebud response to glutamates, amino acids that are naturally present in all kinds of foods. Monosodium glutamate (MSG) is just a single sodium (monosodium) molecule slapped onto a standard a-glutamate animo acid.

So... you can enhance your food with the same effect as MSG by simply finding foods high in a-glutamate. Three of my favorites are anchovies, tomato paste, and Marmite. All three add the umami flavor without the 'unhealthy' MSG. Although in reality, MSG is only slightly unhealthier due to the sodium molecule but nothing beyond that. It's "bad" for you because eating way too much salt (without enough potassium to balance it out, at least) is also "bad" for you. It's like the... deep fried version of regular glutamate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom