• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.2%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 37 18.2%

• Total voters
I think I was reading that the current industry has the process so down that they can produce a ton of stuff per season for cheap and even if it's a dud, it won't hurt very much. That would explain why something like Hyakuren got made, lol.

That makes me definitely wonder why Crunchyroll didn't fund productions done by a japanese studio, rather than employing people in SF. I mean, their whole schtick is japanese anime, so that'd be the sensible option if they want more original productions ala Netflix.

manfestival

Anime?

bdf3505ccf09d99a1b6079baedc60ae30392bca0_00.jpg

How popular is this city hunter anime? There are so many adaptations of it. There's one with Jackie Chan, a korean tv series, and now a french movie coming out next year.

hecatomb

Banned
Can someone explain to me how shows like Hyakuren get made every season? Has somebody been taking the families of these animators hostage or something?

The anime is OK. For 0 they change up a number of things, but they seem to be working within the restraints of the anime format well enough.
I really like the art style in the first Steins Gate, but they don't quite capture it as well in the anime.
I don't know, its like why are they still making Berserk in 3d, seems like a good idea.

Sakura

That makes me definitely wonder why Crunchyroll didn't fund productions done by a japanese studio, rather than employing people in SF. I mean, their whole schtick is japanese anime, so that'd be the sensible option if they want more original productions ala Netflix.
Just curious but wouldn't Japanese studios be cheaper too? I thought American animation was a lot more costly.

hecatomb

Banned
Just curious but wouldn't Japanese studios be cheaper too? I thought American animation was a lot more costly.
I don't think any Japanese studio would want to touch that show, I also don't think the Japanese understand the SJW American ideas. The show wouldn't benefit them at all. The show isn't even going to benefit crunchy roll, they had to turn off their forums about this show, and had a ton of dislikes on the trailer, and turned off their comments on the youtube trailer.

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
I don't think any Japanese studio would want to touch that show, I also don't think the Japanese understand the SJW American ideas. The show wouldn't benefit them at all. The show isn't even going to benefit crunchy roll, they had to turn off their forums about this show, and had a ton of dislikes on the trailer, and turned off their comments on the youtube trailer.

Myself, I don't support the toxicity rift between Japanese and American animation in the first place. AFAIK the style known in the west today as "anime" was descended from western influence. Not only that, but the Japanese usage of the word was never intended to have cultural connotations.

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
Myself, I don't support the toxicity rift between Japanese and American animation in the first place. AFAIK the style known in the west today as "anime" was descended from western influence. Not only that, but the Japanese usage of the word was never intended to have cultural connotations.
I was talking about how Japanese might not understand the whole SJW culture of America, not the animation. Why would Japanese want to make this show is the question since its only target audience is SJWs, which is very limited. This show has a very specific audience thats mostly only tarted for them.

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
The show looks more generic than particularly bad.
Still no matter the quality, politics, or lack thereof, trying to push what people perceive as imitation Japanese animation to fans of the real deal wasn't a bright idea.

Starlight Revue Episode1:

I enjoyed it a lot great animations and overall nice music, i particular enjoyed how characters seemed sometimes to go into singing conversations,
overall the final moment reminded me of some of the more theatrical scenes in Penguin drum. i really hope this keeps up but for now i am hooked.
amd the sound of the alarm clock in the opening scene made me smile.

hecatomb

Banned
The show looks more generic than particularly bad.
Still no matter the quality, politics, or lack thereof, trying to push what people perceive as imitation Japanese animation to fans of the real deal wasn't a bright idea.
I heard people who watched the show said its nothing special at all. Doesn't surprise me at all.

manfestival

Are we gonna have the season posts in here then? I really do miss those detailed season posts. It really gave me so much insight into what was good and available. It also helps with my roommates have funimation/hulu/netflix/crunchyroll downstairs.

hecatomb

Banned
Are we gonna have the season posts in here then? I really do miss those detailed season posts. It really gave me so much insight into what was good and available. It also helps with my roommates have funimation/hulu/netflix/crunchyroll downstairs.
I mean I don't know what you guys watch, so maybe watch My Hero Academia and Attack on Titan.

Last edited:

manfestival

I mean I don't know what you guys watch, so maybe watch My Hero Academia and Attack on Titan.
Oh those 2 shows that I read the manga on?... I am looking for NEW anime... not popular older shows. Thanks to those posts I discovered gems like parasyte and rezero.

hecatomb

Banned
Oh those 2 shows that I read the manga on?... I am looking for NEW anime... not popular older shows. Thanks to those posts I discovered gems like parasyte and rezero.
Well Jojo part 5 is coming out pretty soon. Other then that not sure if you ever watched baki the grappler, its on a lot of free anime streaming sites, but baki 2018 takes place after it. Its pretty much a martial arts action anime.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I can do that for the next season sure. Or anybody else can I'm actually watching more than two things next season so...hype?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I've re-watched Disaterous Life of Saiki K for the third time now. Excellent anime if you don't mind slapsticky humor that mocks tropes.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Would love this honestly I do not even now what to watch besides the ending of Fairy Tail XD
I'll work on it but can't today or prob this whole week properly cause Dragon Quest :p

I did one show so far tell me if you like the format or need more info.

Hmmm, really looking forward to this part from the Overlord LN:

LXJHbhd.jpg

Though I'm kinda disappointed in the animation of the anime. Wish it'd be much better. Then again, we've been lucky to get as much as 3 seasons at all. I kind of wish it'd have had the art style of the artwork from the LN. I also personally prefer the Death Knights from the LN, while I know a lot of people prefer the anime ones.

Overlord-Season-3-Anime-Confirmed-Overlord-III-Trailer-Shows-Premiere-Of-Third-Season-In-Summer-Of-2018.jpg

petran79

Banned
Except Jojo, the shows I am interested in 2019 will be the new Boogiepop Phantom adaptation, the new series by Ikuhara and the ones by Dennou Coil producers and the Trigger mecha series. And the defunct Project D.I'll take a break till summer I guess

Last series I watched was the whole Ojamajo Doremi .After watching over 30 characters grow together for 200+ episodes from third to sixth grade in elementary school, I am not in the mood to watch any short series.

hecatomb

Banned
Except Jojo, the shows I am interested in 2019 will be the new Boogiepop Phantom adaptation, the new series by Ikuhara and the ones by Dennou Coil producers and the Trigger mecha series. And the defunct Project D.I'll take a break till summer I guess

Last series I watched was the whole Ojamajo Doremi .After watching over 30 characters grow together for 200+ episodes from third to sixth grade in elementary school, I am not in the mood to watch any short series.
If you like Jojo, you would like Baki, though Baki is just martial arts fighting, with no powers. Boku no Hero Academia the movie got pretty good reviews so I might have to watch It when its on video.

Hayao Miyazaki is working on his last movie he says. Last time I saw him, he was in some interview talking about how he hates modern anime.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
If you like Jojo, you would like Baki, though Baki is just martial arts fighting, with no powers. Boku no Hero Academia the movie got pretty good reviews so I might have to watch It when its on video.

I am not that much into the genre, but when it comes to martial arts I am more into realistic seinen series, mainly manga, like Tepuu and All Rounder Meguru. Currently waiting for the sequel of Cestvs manga to be translated.

When it comes to superpowers seinen, genre reached its peak with 3x3 Eyes and this satisfied my thirst.

hecatomb

Banned
I mean no martial arts anime is pretty realistic, but I though baki series was petty good. Its realistic in the fact they used real martial arts moves, and don't have any superpowers. The tournament in the 2nd part was really good, watching all the different martial arts fight each other, like Kung fu vs karate, and even a boxer vs a gang leader. And a aikido master also just tossing around people like nothing.

Last edited:
It was all just a bunch of Hikari Chan!
Naah im kidding, i am pretty much sold on the way they have decided to compose the BGM for this show. as well as i overall like the hints of
sad and tragedy unfolding underneath all the glamour and looks, the scene with handcuffed Karen was also hinting that the show is not afraid to go there.
so i am hopeful on the next episodes arriving :)

Last edited:

NahaNago

Are there new hayao miyazaki movies to watch ?
Is the story of the new db super movie known ?

The next ghibli film probably won't release until 2021/2022 and it is called How do you live? Originally folks were hoping it would release in 2020 for the olympics but no luck it seems. No real new news on broly movie.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Updated next season picks! Will add more later if you want to add something you can post it here and I can add it for you guys ^^

DonJimbo

The next ghibli film probably won't release until 2021/2022 and it is called How do you live? Originally folks were hoping it would release in 2020 for the olympics but no luck it seems. No real new news on broly movie.
Thanks i have to wait then i hate waiting for Hayao miyazakis masterpieces
Hope the story of Broly gets leaked the style of painting of the movie looks like the old z movies
I hated the super series so much
Super is the worst but the movie looks interesting

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
I mean no martial arts anime is pretty realistic, but I though baki series was petty good. Its realistic in the fact they used real martial arts moves, and don't have any superpowers. The tournament in the 2nd part was really good, watching all the different martial arts fight each other, like Kung fu vs karate, and even a boxer vs a gang leader. And a aikido master also just tossing around people like nothing.

Yawara did a little better in realism for its era but I would not classify it as a pure martial arts anime since romance plays also a large part.

NahaNago

Thanks i have to wait then i hate waiting for Hayao miyazakis masterpieces
Hope the story of Broly gets leaked the style of painting of the movie looks like the old z movies
I hated the super series so much
Super is the worst but the movie looks interesting

Super kinda feels like they are combining dragon ball and dragon ball z with all of these tournaments but with new hair colors . I still would like to have a weaker character travel all of the galaxies and encounter these alien civilizations I want to say similar to the beginning of gt but I barely remember that series outside of them in a spaceship and traveling. I'm not really feeling the style of the movie, I get the whole more fluid style they are going for , for fights . I guess I should like it more since we would should see more combat and less disappearing and reappearing.

hecatomb

Banned
Dragon ball super is still better then GT by far. Im glad super was made so I never have to watch GT again.

DonJimbo

Super kinda feels like they are combining dragon ball and dragon ball z with all of these tournaments but with new hair colors . I still would like to have a weaker character travel all of the galaxies and encounter these alien civilizations I want to say similar to the beginning of gt but I barely remember that series outside of them in a spaceship and traveling. I'm not really feeling the style of the movie, I get the whole more fluid style they are going for , for fights . I guess I should like it more since we would should see more combat and less disappearing and reappearing.
Its not canon thats the problem
The Story is intended to tell what happened between z and gt and its the biggest bullshit i saw in my life there is no connection with the canon story and its most likely a fanservice
And the Movie is like Broly and goku never meet eachother even we had three z movies with Broly

DonJimbo

Theres no proof that Super isn't cannon, it takes place right after Buu saga, and is done by Akira Toriyama himself.
No its not Toriyama is only a superviser and the story is done by another guy
There is no proof either that its canon
What ?

Super is canon, unless your talking about super dragonball heroes? that is definitely not canon and is pure fanservice...
No its not give me proof that it is

hecatomb

Banned
No its not Toriyama is only a superviser and the story is done by another guy
There is no proof either that its canon

No its not give me proof that it is
The manga is pretty much the proof that it is canon. Want even more proof they said Broly is canon. Toriyama was also the one who came up with the story for super. The filler eps are not canon though for the most part cause they are not in the manga.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Super

Last edited:

DonJimbo

The manga is pretty much the proof that it is canon. Want even more proof they said Broly is canon. Toriyama was also the one who came up with the story for super. The filler eps are not canon though for the most part cause they are not in the manga.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Super
Its not canon proof is pan is not born in super
But in Z she was born
Why is Goku Dumb but in Z not
The only canon is the original manga by toriyama

Last edited:
Top Bottom