• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.2%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 37 18.2%

• Total voters

Celcius

°Temp. member
I spent July 4th binging Shield Hero season 2. It was good but man they do a great job of making you hate the new villain.

Last edited:

Sakura

Man how fucking overrated is Spy X Family? I struggled to get through the first two episodes and I doubt I'll even bother with the third one. The tone is all over the place and even when I suspend my disbelief the situations the characters find themselves in just don't land for me.
I watched the first three episodes the other day.
It wasn't bad I guess, but not really what I was expecting after the first episode. Just kind of comes off as a generic slice of life show, with comedy that isn't that funny.

The_hunter

Berserk 367 came out. Another 15 pages
Griffith kidnapped Casca again. Art was good. Looks like Griffith got cut by Guts in the face last chapter? Next chapter in August. Evil spirits are to invade the elf island. Griffith embraced Casca, but I feel this is more the masquerade he puts on, rather than the moonchild.I think he's going to go to Falconia with Casca.

Last edited:
Welp saw Vash's new look in the new Trigun, and fuck...
trigun-stampede-vash-the-stampede.jpg

Star Trek Reaction GIF
Not my Vash is all I'm saying

No one here read the new oneshot by Fujimoto? "Just listen to the Song"?

62c23c0e87959_external_cover.jpg

It's very short, and he wrote this just to "gaslight" us.
It's like he is saying this:

But I think he is wrong.
He may not think too much about the things he puts in his stories, but nothing of that comes without a reason. It's fruit of his life experiences and thoughts. The consumes his own media, it's influenced buy his surroundings and this leads to his stories. The same happens with the readers of his stories. What they see in the stories he creates it's all there.
But I wonder how the expectations for the continuation of Chainsaw Man (that starts next week) are affecting him. It's like this one shot it's a warning to not expect too much.

Berserk 367 came out. Another 15 pages
Griffith kidnapped Casca again. Art was good. Looks like Griffith got cut by Guts in the face last chapter? Next chapter in August. Evil spirits are to invade the elf island. Griffith embraced Casca, but I feel this is more the masquerade he puts on, rather than the moonchild.I think he's going to go to Falconia with Casca.

I'm surprised by how fast the chapters are being published.
Shit came back just to show Guts suffering more.
And how convenient, after so much time it took to get in the island and get Caska back to normal Griffith decided to appear there. Seems like he was just waiting for this moment, for Guts to get Caska back to normal to go get her. It's strange that she let herself being taken so easily, just fainted, and can anyone really imagine Caska living in Falconia with all those demons? Some there were in the Eclipse? How can she accept that?
But more importantly, what was the point of that talk and reflection about Guts giving up revenge and living there in peace? What choice he has now?

Last edited:

NahaNago

Man we're finally getting new Slam Dunk stuff after so long and it's some ugly ass CG animation

Well that's disappointing. So we have now berserk, trigun, and slam dunk with this cg animation. That reminds me that Belle movie had some really ugly cg animation outfit.

At least the slam dunk characters don't look that terrible.

Reactions: Fbh

Durask

This looks interesting. Soviet Space Vampire!

Tsuki to Laika to Nosferatu (The Moon, Laika, and Nosferatu)

themarkedofcainhavereachedthemoon.jpg

Well, I finally got around to watching it. Not bad at all. Decided to pick up the first translated LN volume afterwards which is also good.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member

next video is low quality but was taken from the live stream

New Gundam seems to coming along nicely, you can tell they use there now traditional blend of CGI and Hand drawn, however the fights are all fully animated, no terrible CGI clunkers whacking off each other with no weight here.

Doom85

Started reading Love Hina.
Simple but entertaining.

love-hina-une.jpg

I’m not sure I could get into that manga. In the anime, I found Naru insufferable as there was so many times it was obvious something happened that wasn’t Keitaro’s fault and even the other girls would recognize this yet Naru would beat the shit out of him regardless. This might have worked somewhat for me if Keitaro was at times pervy, cocky, etc. but IIRC he was just a chill dude.

For a contrasting example, while in the Inuyasha anime Kagome’s “sit boy!” antics might have some off as similarly abusive it didn’t bother me as much as it was usually due to Inuyasha being rude, arrogant, selfish, etc. Not still justified technically but at least there was a bit of karma at play.

However, I do love the other manga from Lova Hina’s mangaka: Negima. Also a brilliant case of trolling, though I can’t find an article link about this now, but I remember hearing that after finishing Love Hina, Ken Akamatsu (the mangaka) wanted to make an action shonen series. However, his editor insisted he make another harem due to Lova Hina’s success and Akamatsu “agreed” to this. And so for the first volume or so it seems like another fanservice harem. But little drops of lore are dropped and not too long after Negi, the MC, and one of his classmates are fighting a vampire. Oh, but now it’s a field trip, yay more shenanigans, oh wait half the class is petrified and Negi and some others have to fight the attackers. And it continued this trend of starting an arc that would seem comedic but evolve into something more serious until Vol. 20 where all hell breaks loose* and no one could deny anymore that this was an action shonen series. I’m not sure when the editor realized it but probably too late to stop it as I imagine the series was already doing great in sales.

(*hell, the villains who show up in Vol. 20 were the page image for TV Tropes’ “Cerberus Syndrome” for quite a whole and the trope refers to fiction that starts off mostly comedic but evolves into a more serious tone)

Sadly no happy ending as due to the publisher eventually attempting to claim ownership and copyright of the title away from Akamatsu the latter ended the series on a random abrupt one year time skip in the final chapter that “resolved” a huge character arc of Negi offscreen, sunk a ton of relationship ships just to do so without confirming which ones did happen, and wrote each character’s epilogue in a rushed paragraph for the dozens of major characters at this point. While he was probably trying to spite the publisher, obviously the real victims were the fans as no one found this acceptable. Hell, I would have preferred to merely be left hanging in the final arc rather than given a “we’re just skipping straight to the ending, and boy is it dogshit!”

I know he did a “100 or so years later” sequel manga later that apparently fixed a few issues with the ending but I personally don’t feel like bothering after being burned that badly. I still love the Negima manga but I just try to pretend it ended unresolved in the penultimate chapter and that the final chapter didn’t happen.

Doom85

Yeah it can be a little superficial sometimes, I agree.
But the girls are cute, so I let it pass.

Will give it a read after I finish Love Hina.
By the way, the author is a politician now?

-that’s fair, I would have preferred the series focused on Motoko (who starts off similarly violent but grows out of more quickly, plus has a backstory that made her initial dislike of him more natural) and Shinobu (who was just purely likable) over Naru.

-Yeah, as far as I can tell he wrapped up Uq Holder (the Negima sequel) so I guess he moved to politics.

Honestly, a Negima “Brotherhood” re-adaptation would be amazing as the two anime series was one 26 episode series that had a filler ending (that wasn’t even good or made sense either) and then another 26 episode series that was pure filler (as in it just had the cast in school doing hijinks and didn’t use any of the arcs from the manga) but it was actually slightly funny (adapted by Shaft, and they even have a cameo from a joke character from one of their other comedies Pani Poni Dash which I really loved and wish had gotten more notice back in the day).

There were some OVAs that adapted some of the later chapters but A) they were never licensed for home video or streaming in the US so I never saw them and B) it still left a lot of the manga unadapted. So yeah, a new full adaptation would be sweet. Heck, Love Hina could use a full anime adaptation as well for that matter.

-that’s fair, I would have preferred the series focused on Motoko (who starts off similarly violent but grows out of more quickly, plus has a backstory that made her initial dislike of him more natural) and Shinobu (who was just purely likable) over Naru.

-Yeah, as far as I can tell he wrapped up Uq Holder (the Negima sequel) so I guess he moved to politics.

Honestly, a Negima “Brotherhood” re-adaptation would be amazing as the two anime series was one 26 episode series that had a filler ending (that wasn’t even good or made sense either) and then another 26 episode series that was pure filler (as in it just had the cast in school doing hijinks and didn’t use any of the arcs from the manga) but it was actually slightly funny (adapted by Shaft, and they even have a cameo from a joke character from one of their other comedies Pani Poni Dash which I really loved and wish had gotten more notice back in the day).

There were some OVAs that adapted some of the later chapters but A) they were never licensed for home video or streaming in the US so I never saw them and B) it still left a lot of the manga unadapted. So yeah, a new full adaptation would be sweet. Heck, Love Hina could use a full anime adaptation as well for that matter.
Shinobu best girl by far

Doom85

I just read the first chapter, soulful. For me it's the tsundere, can't remember the last time an anime or manga had a tsundere.

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Bounce

Really? That feels like a character type that never went away. Off the top of my head as I literally have to go to work we have 2nd best Re:Zero girl (1st being Emil-pfft, haha, no it’s Rem of course):

H1BrfbQ.gif

You guys should really check out the Fist of the North Star manga. I believe it is being translated in its entirety for the first time and in hardcover too. It's much much better than the anime.
I remember reading the first volume a long time ago. The art is incredible and much better than the anime. However the (old) anime does shine with the voice acting, vfx, and music.

Last edited:

Labolas

You guys should really check out the Fist of the North Star manga. I believe it is being translated in its entirety for the first time and in hardcover too. It's much much better than the anime.
Agreed. Oh yeah the hard covers for it are really nice. But I still recommend checking out the anime, it's a good time regardless.

To play devil's advocate for Netflix's live-action Yu Yu Hakusho, it is--at the very least--a fully Japanese production, meaning production studio & producer, director, writers, actors, and is being shot in Japan. Sure, it's got monetary backing from Netflix, which is always concerning, but there's probably a better chance of the series turning out similar to the usual Japan-made, live action adaptations of anime & manga, rather than say Neflix's Cowboy Bebop.

A promotional image of Takumi Kitamura was also released, and for a head-shot, he's certainly recognizable as Yusuke.

yyh.jpeg

Last edited:

Labolas

To play devil's advocate for Netflix's live-action Yu Yu Hakusho, it is--at the very least--a fully Japanese production, meaning production studio & producer, director, writers, actors, and is being shot in Japan. Sure, it's got monetary backing from Netflix, which is always concerning, but there's probably a better chance of the series turning out similar to the usual Japan-made, live action adaptations of anime & manga, rather than say Neflix's Cowboy Bebop.

A promotional image of Takumi Kitamura was also released, and for a head-shot, he's certainly recognizable as Yusuke.

yyh.jpeg

I will say that it's good at least it does have Japanese actors, but ultimately that doesn't matter, if the budget is shit. Even stuff I liked, Sweet Home (the manwha was better) and Hellbound had low budget cgi.

NanaMiku

Just finished watching Banished from Hero's Party since I already read the manga. Damn, Japan need to stop churning out anime, the battle animation is so sad

Doom85

Just finished watching Banished from Hero's Party since I already read the manga. Damn, Japan need to stop churning out anime, the battle animation is so sad

Anime isn’t made by ”studio Japan”, there’s a ton of individual studios. Quickly checking the title you mentioned, it was made by a studio who has only three titles, one of which was that Peter Grill shit. Yeah, big shock it wasn’t a looker in the animation department.

Meanwhile, UFOtable, Mappa, Kyoto Animation, Wit, etc. continue to flex yearly.

Kimetsu No Yaiba Fight GIF by Funimation
5Z5OWQt.gif
YzIxEl2.gif
4lfhQdC.gif
95OYXPm.gif

So as far as I’m concerned, “Japan” can keep churning that butter!

NanaMiku

Anime isn’t made by ”studio Japan”, there’s a ton of individual studios. Quickly checking the title you mentioned, it was made by a studio who has only three titles, one of which was that Peter Grill shit. Yeah, big shock it wasn’t a looker in the animation department.

Meanwhile, UFOtable, Mappa, Kyoto Animation, Wit, etc. continue to flex yearly.

Kimetsu No Yaiba Fight GIF by Funimation
5Z5OWQt.gif
YzIxEl2.gif
4lfhQdC.gif
95OYXPm.gif

So as far as I’m concerned, “Japan” can keep churning that butter!
Yes I know, but now Japan have so many anime studios and 1 season consists of so many titles. The staffs are too spread thin. the animation industry in Japan is currently facing problem with low salary + no new staff.
I just want each title produced with more care

Labolas

Tekken Bloodline probably won't be the worst fighting game adaptation ever. It doesn't look terrible but it doesn't look great. The animation looks like a studio's first attempt doing it. I tried to see who is doing the animation for this. The only thing that pop up was Barnstorm Design Labo who mostly just does art designs and setting designs, which would explain why it looks the way it does with especially the weird triangular shadows.

Also why the fuck is Feng and Leroy Smith in this? Feng doesn't appear until Tekken 5 and Leroy in Tekken 7. This storyline takes place in Tekken 2 and 3. Where the fuck is Lei or Law?

Fbh

Watched Bubble on Netflix

Some nice animation and production values

ca7bff61572440acbb3a1bb100094ae9

But cookie cutter characters and a bland plot. It was like bargain bin Eureka 7.

Tekken Bloodline probably won't be the worst fighting game adaptation ever. It doesn't look terrible but it doesn't look great. The animation looks like a studio's first attempt doing it. I tried to see who is doing the animation for this. The only thing that pop up was Barnstorm Design Labo who mostly just does art designs and setting designs, which would explain why it looks the way it does with especially the weird triangular shadows.

Also why the fuck is Feng and Leroy Smith in this? Feng doesn't appear until Tekken 5 and Leroy in Tekken 7. This storyline takes place in Tekken 2 and 3. Where the fuck is Lei or Law?

Everyone having a weird triangular shadow on their head bothers me more than it should.

Dr_Salt

I'm looking to get into Junji Ito and I am thinking about buying either Uzumaki or Shiver. I read a little bit of Uzumaki and really liked it but I'm scared that if I read Shiver after it will not compare to how good Uzumaki is. I also enjoy anthologies so there is no problem with that regarding Shiver.

Any recommendations on which of the two to start with?

The_hunter

I watched "Kiki's delivery service". Very chill, with a great story about hard work and witches. I really enjoyed it.

I haven't watched much anime from the last 3 years, what are some must watch series? I've seen demon slayer, and have spy x family to watch next.

Last edited:

Doom85

I watched "Kiki's delivery service". Very chill, with a great story about hard work and witches. I really enjoyed it.

I haven't watched much anime from the last 3 years, what are some must watch series? I've seen demon slayer, and have spy x family to watch next.

Well, there were a LOT of well received anime over the last few years. 2021 in particular was insane due to the delays of the prior year due to COVID meaning so much stuff was moved to 2021.

Plus, I’m not sure what genres you’re into, but for one off the top of my head because I was mentioning it to someone the other day:

TcZZPzf.jpg

Great Pretender is an anime that follows a group of con artists that pull complicated scams all around the world against powerful and corrupt businessmen and untouchable criminals who have used their power to abuse, harm, and/or take advantage of innocent people. So very modern day Robin Hood. Imagine mixing Ocean’s Eleven and Catch Me if You Can. The characters are really fun to follow and slowly get fleshed out in each arc, and it has a pretty satisfying (albeit stretching believability in terms of their final con’s strategy) ending though leaving a few elements open if they ever do a follow up season.

And also, the ED is Freddie Mercury’s cover of the song Great Pretender. You might not have heard of the guy, he was pretty obscure during his time. :messenger_winking:

Labolas

Finally finished reading JAGAAAAAN. Man, I was really dragging my feet reading this but I will get more into that later as to why. Probably one of the better seinen mangas I've read that came out recently but it is not without its hangups. So let's get into it.

iu

JAGAAAAAAAN

Plot Summary (from its wiki):
Shintarou Jagasaki is your average police officer with something a little off in his mental. One day riding the train a mysterious monster appears and it's Jagasaki's job to fix it, but he can't, until he discovers he can now transform his right hand into a sort-of gun. When arriving home to his girlfriend he finds that she has transformed too, being forced to kill her he discovers that he was transformed into a fractured human warrior and the people he's killed were fractured humans infected by frenzied frogs. A new companion tells Jagasaki that it is his destiny to hunt down and kill all the fractured humans collect all of the frenzied frogs which will allow him a single wish.

What does Jagasaki hope to wish for? The resurrection of his girlfriend he killed.

Jagasaki himself is an interesting protagonist. He has girlfriend who presumably will be his future fiancé and has normal job. But man, the character is so withdrawn within himself. His story is could easily be one of a villain. But him killing his girlfriend made sure he stayed on the path of a hero. And hell, all of the characters are despicable and very selfish in some way. Which plays into the theme of selfishness and desire that are seen through out the manga. Speaking of characters, one character completely drags the manga down imo. Yadori.

Yadori starts off as a typical loser character. Gets bully and push around by people around him. His boss, coworkers, hell even kids. He states his desire of wanting to be a main character. But wait there's more, you see. He gains the power of mimicry, meaning anyone he consumes he becomes. So who does he consumes or become you may ask? Well, he becomes a woman. But not only that he becomes a scandalous woman at that. So much of the middle portion of Jagaaan is center around him and it's basically him getting fucked by various dudes. This, this is what kill the momentum of the manga for me. I ended up put it on hold for about 6 months since I found out it finished because of how bad the middle section was. Sure, an argument can be made about this being a "trans" character but I would argue it's a bad portrayal of one because how selfishness and narcissistic the character is. There are other characters that more fascinating than Yadori that don't get as much as development as he does. Oruto Aruko, Yuma Kujou, and Moroha Imashika are some of the ones could used that.

The art is great when it's dynamic and there's action and the panel work is great but when it comes to the slower and more dialogue heavy scenes, the art looks flat and is static. Just those scenes don't look great. The characters' transformations into their fractured forms looked cool as well. Particularly, Jagasaki, Misogi Hakuto, Mikazuchi, and Noman's are favorite ones.

Overall, I'd say the first half is great, then the middle half was pretty mediocre, and the last arc brought it back for me. Overall, I think Jagaaan is a weaker story than say Gantz but has more a satisfyingly ending. (7.5/10)

Other manga I've read. Undead Unluck was one I had started to liking the premise of but then it quickly deviated towards typical SJ fare. Was super disappointed on how that turn out. I'm definitely dropping it. Alien Area is another one. Like the protag and premise is somewhat original. But it's still early in its run. Mashle is another SJ comic I didn't care for and seems to typical SJ fare as well.

Last edited:

Doom85

Well at least it looks better BNA. That had some rough animation.

Well, their most recent series was SSSS Dynazenon, which I still need to get to. But I know SSSS Gridman had good animation, in fact the CGI was a smart choice as I feel they were able to replicate the type of movement seen in tokusatsu films/series better than they would have with standard animation.

Labolas

Well, their most recent series was SSSS Dynazenon, which I still need to get to. But I know SSSS Gridman had good animation, in fact the CGI was a smart choice as I feel they were able to replicate the type of movement seen in tokusatsu films/series better than they would have with standard animation.
Yeah I watched a bit of it. It's aight. I brought BNA because it was also streamed on Netflix and it was one of the series that Trigger that had notable low tier animation.

Last edited:
Figured this was worth mentioning, since they're such a big part of US retail for anime, manga, and related goods: Right Stuf has been acquired by Crunchyroll (which is to say, Sony).

Crunchyroll announcement: https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-n...s-deal-to-acquire-anime-superstore-right-stuf

Right Stuf's FAQ on things: https://www.rightstufanime.com/post...ws&utm_campaign=news_en&referrer=editorial_cr

Also, Right Stuf will no longer sell adult items and has unloaded their existing adult business onto a separate, Nevada-based entity, Ero Anime LLC. The company's website: https://eroanimestore.com/

Last edited:

Dancer_BV

Figured this was worth mentioning, since they're such a big part of US retail for anime, manga and related goods: Right Stuf has been acquired by Crunchyroll (which is to say, Sony).

Crunchyroll announcement: https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-n...s-deal-to-acquire-anime-superstore-right-stuf

Right Stuf's FAQ on things: https://www.rightstufanime.com/post...ws&utm_campaign=news_en&referrer=editorial_cr

Also, Right Stuf will no longer sell adult items and has unloaded their existing-adult business on a separate, Nevada-based entity, Ero Anime LLC. The company's website: https://eroanimestore.com/
That is interesting, this will make their marketing more powerful. I wonder how much it will change merchandise production... acquisition, not so much

Labolas

Figured this was worth mentioning, since they're such a big part of US retail for anime, manga, and related goods: Right Stuf has been acquired by Crunchyroll (which is to say, Sony).

Also, Right Stuf will no longer sell adult items and has unloaded their existing adult business onto a separate, Nevada-based entity, Ero Anime LLC. The company's website: https://eroanimestore.com/
Well, that sucks and I kinda like Right Stuf.

Top Bottom