• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anger from voice actors as NSFW mods use AI deepfakes to replicate their voices: 'This is NOT okay'

They probably realize the gravy train is over and going forward companies will stop using voice actors. Just like the artists in China who are being displaced voice actors are next.

AI voice won’t ask for short work days, go on strike, will do retakes in seconds and rewrite dialog when asked.

VAs never really had a gravy train so to speak. Not when big name celebs have been taking a good chunk of the work and money.

One of the things I see touted is people thinking THEIR creative industry couldn't be taken over by AI, while people in other industries say the same thing about theirs. Let's say it's voiceovers and script writers. The kicker is that both of industries are happy to cut out the other in other to get the budget down.

Dead wrong there. Many screen/voice actors joined the writer's strike in full solidarity. The only holdouts were rich nutcases like Tyler Perry.

YCoCg

But if a robot or software program is replacing you, it means you arent that good to begin with.
How the AI is trained is that it takes a persons already recorded lines, analyses it and then reproduces it, the more content fed into it, the more accurate and realistic it is, so it's the reverse of what you're saying, IF they can fully replace the actor with AI, then that means the Actor has provided enough content to get the AI accurate and realistic. It all comes down to money again, what they should be doing is at least licensing their "likeness" which SHOULD include voice, instead studios are just looking to slash the budget by not hiring actors and instead replace them with their AI clones instead so they don't have to pay out.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Dead wrong there. Many screen/voice actors joined the writer's strike in full solidarity. The only holdouts were rich nutcases like Tyler Perry.

My personal experience (so obviously not a huge sample) is that composers making library music are happy to use AI art to help promote it (would have paid an artist before) and video editors are looking to save money on music with AI created tracks (would have licensed music from a music library) both groups of people seemingly having little loyalty to other people working in creative industries. I think both jobs could become less viable for a number of people relatively quickly.

If you're that good at your job you'll keep it no matter how many Skynets there are. But if a robot or software program is replacing you, it means you arent that good to begin with.

I can understand why you've said that, but I think that many people will find that A) excellence isn't really that important when "good enough" comes so much cheaper and there are budgets to hit, and
B) people underestimate how tangible their humanity is in their work, and
C) that the AI is really, really good. And if it's not today, anything that you can do with it that's not good enough at the moment, will likely be good enough within a few years. The AI will be quicker, make fewer mistakes - and it's mistakes will be forgiven because of the biggest trump card: it'll do it much, much cheaper.

If AI can do your job badly at the moment, there's potential for it to get better at it than you and soon. I point again to the revolution in AI use that's taken place since ChatGPT4 launched, a few months ago, and the chatGPT3 era that existed for a couple of years before. If ChatGpt5 represents a similar jump, then once again we might be looking at AI being able to do unimaginable things for businesses.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
The real danger of AI is not things like this, it is that eventually it will displace so many jobs that the capitalistic economy system we are in will collapse.

I personally believe it is innevitable, the days where everyone has a job to pay bills and buy food as a sort of socioeconomic normal will become entirely dependent on the government because AI powered bots do most of the 'work'.

Last edited:
Top Bottom