• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angelina Jolie's Unconventional Method for Casting Her Latest Movie

Rootbeer

Banned
I don't know about this guys...

To cast the children in the film, Jolie looked at orphanages, circuses, and slum schools, specifically seeking children who had experienced hardship. In order to find their lead, to play young Loung Ung, the casting directors set up a game, rather disturbing in its realism: they put money on the table and asked the child to think of something she needed the money for, and then to snatch it away. The director would pretend to catch the child, and the child would have to come up with a lie. ”Srey Moch [the girl ultimately chosen for the part] was the only child that stared at the money for a very, very long time," Jolie says. ”When she was forced to give it back, she became overwhelmed with emotion. All these different things came flooding back." Jolie then tears up. ”When she was asked later what the money was for, she said her grandfather had died, and they didn't have enough money for a nice funeral."
Source (thecut.com)

Full piece on Vanity Fair

Mod edit: the response - Vanity Fair fucked up:

”Every measure was taken to ensure the safety, comfort and well-being of the children on the film starting from the auditions through production to the present," Angelina said. ”I am upset that a pretend exercise in an improvisation, from an actual scene in the film, has been written about as if it was a real scenario. The suggestion that real money was taken from a child during an audition is false and upsetting. I would be outraged myself if this had happened."

Statement by the Producer Rithy Panh:

"I want to comment on recent reports about the casting process for Angelina Jolie's First They Killed My Father, which grossly mischaracterize how child actors were selected for the film, and I want to clear up the misunderstandings.

Because so many children were involved in the production,
Angelina and I took the greatest care to ensure their welfare was protected. Our goal was to respect the realities of war, while nurturing everyone who helped us to recreate it for the film.

The casting was done in the most sensitive way possible. The children were from different backgrounds. Some were underprivileged; others were not. Some were orphans. All of the children were tended to at all times by relatives or carers from the NGOs responsible for them. The production team followed the families' preferences and the NGO organizations' guidelines. Some of the auditions took place on the NGOs' premises.

Ahead of the screen tests, the casting crew showed the
children the camera and the sound recording material. It explained to them that they were going to be asked to act out a part: to pretend to steal petty cash or a piece of food left unattended and then get caught in the act. It relates to a real episode from the life of Loung Ung, and a scene in the movie, when she and her siblings were caught by the Khmer Rouge and accused of stealing.

The purpose of the audition was to improvise with the children and explore how a child feels when caught doing something he or she is not supposed to be doing.

We wanted to see how they would improvise when their character is found ‘stealing' and how they would justify their action. The children were not tricked or entrapped, as some have suggested. They understood very well that this was acting, and make believe. What made Srey Moch, who was chosen for the lead role of Loung Ung, so special was that she said that she would want the money not for herself, but for her grandfather. Great care was taken with the children not only during auditions, but throughout the entirety of the film's making. They were accompanied on set by their parents, other relatives or tutors. Time was set aside for them to study and play. The children's well-being was monitored by a special team each day, including at home, and contact continues to the present. Because the memories of the genocide are so raw, and many Cambodians still have difficulty speaking about their experiences, a team of doctors and therapists worked with us on set every day so that anyone from the cast or crew who wanted to talk could do so. The children gave their all in their performances and have made all of us in the production, and, I believe, in Cambodia, very proud."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...profile-auditions_us_597cf41ae4b02a8434b6d1e4

Pastry

Banned
Yeah that seems umm fucking awful to do to children.

Not only have these children suffered through poverty their whole lives but then you get this fucking uppity director coming in and doing poverty tests. Sorry kid, you haven't experienced enough shit to be cast in my film.

Keri

That seems like an absolutely cruel thing to do to a group of disadvantaged children, for the purpose of casting a fucking movie.

Your movie doesn't matter more than the feelings of those children, Jolie. And tearing up over the child's reaction? Give me a break. You don't get to cry, when you're the one forcing this experience on the poor little girl.

Pretty fucked up doing that to already traumatized kids

Kudos to her for making a movie about the Cambodian genocide and actually casting Cambodians in it tho. I'll check it out.

Busty

Banned
I imagine Angelina to be utterly unbearable in real life.

Stories like this do nothing to convince me otherwise.

Viewt

I read that description like three times because I felt like it couldn't be as bad as it sounds.

Because it sounds like she brought poor kids into a room, taunted them with money, and then made them beg for it.

Crazy that a person who used to carry a vial of her lover's blood around her neck and open mouth kiss her brother would do such a thing.

Wait, what? So they put the money on the table, let the kid pick it up and then tell them to give it back? Did the director leave the room and come back to "catch" them? What's there to catch if they didn't leave the room?

Keri

Pretty fucked up doing that to already traumatized kids

Kudos to her for making a movie about the Cambodian genocide and actually casting Cambodians in it tho. I'll check it out.

Uh, maybe take a pass on the movie actively traumatizing children in the casting process, even though it managed to get one thing right.

I'm pretty sure you could cast children without traumatizing them further...but I'm not a director though, so what so I know.

Seriously though, this is cruel and unnecessary.

Busty

Banned
Guys, I think the rumours about her being guano levels of crazy were not that far out.

Not only that but apparently she's a Republican.

Seriously. It's an odd political stance given her humanitarian work but she's a conservative through and through.

Rootbeer

Banned
Not only that but apparently she's a Republican.

Seriously. It's an odd political stance given her humanitarian work but she's a conservative through and through.
That's news to me... I guess nothing should shock me about her anymore though

Thats...horrible.

As someone said, this is peak colonialism.

She can fuck off.

Remember that vanity piece she made a few years back where several people in the movie exist to tell her she's pretty.

By_The_Sea_Teaser.jpg

That's some cruel twisted Willy Wonka scenario there.

Jolie has directed a moving, large-scale adaptation of First They Killed My Father, Loung Ung’s 2000 memoir of the Khmer Rouge genocide, in which Ung’s parents and two of her siblings perished, along with an estimated two million other Cambodians, a quarter of the country’s population. Shot entirely in Cambodia, and in the Khmer language, the film, a Netflix original, is the largest production the country has witnessed since the war, and according to the reports of several Cambodians who’ve seen it, it’s one of the most revelatory pieces of art about that chapter in the country’s history, a history that’s still difficult for Cambodians to discuss.

I can't deny the movie sounds interesting, but the means don't justify the ends.

That's just lazy directing. You can pull that shit with adult actors, but any director with actual talent would not stoop to that level with children.

zeemumu

Reminds me of Starry Eyes with them basing their casting decision off of the main character having a panic attack in the restroom

Top Bottom