• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMERICAN HORROR STORY: Coven |OT| When witches don't fight, we burn....

Status
Not open for further replies.

inm8num2

I thought the finale was decent enough and touched upon what I thought the season would be about. Still, it didn't salvage the mess that was the rest of Coven.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
b]EDIT:[/b] Interesting stuff, apparently the Supreme was in front of us the entire time?

If you look at the page for Santa Muerte you see that she also was named "Lady Of The Seven Powers". Scroll down and you'll find this piece of artwork.

Now compare this to the image that is shown behind Sarah Paulson's cast name

Wikipedia said:
and safe delivery to the afterlife by her devotees.

Hmm... makes sense why Fiona didn't stab her outright and absorb her powers back. I guess she finally accepted her death like Cordellia said to and died in Cordellia's arms to pass "safely." Too bad for her her deal with Legba takes her to the Axeman.

Hmm... makes sense why Fiona didn't stab her outright and absorb her powers back. I guess she finally accepted her death like Cordellia said to and died in Cordellia's arms to pass "safely." Too bad for her her deal with Legba takes her to the Axeman.

I thought she couldn't make a deal with him though because she had no soul? Or did I miss something? That's why her ending up there kind of confused me

Trigger

I thought she couldn't make a deal with him though because she had no soul? Or did I miss something? That's why her ending up there kind of confused me

Yeah, I assume Fiona went to hell just for being a bad person. She has murdered, lied, and probably done worse things than what was shown.

I think True Detective also has a part in making me realize how an anthology should be done. I don't have a problem with cheese, but have some direction. Make us care about someone or something. Stop wasting great actors like Basett and Bates. I'll give this show one last chance next season.

Terrible finale.
I think I would have signed up for four episodes of the Myrtle Snow show.
THAT I would have loved.

So, with 20 minutes to go, I realized that there was no Lange, no Bassett, no Bates.
Now, sure they were killed in earlier episodes, but who expected them to stay dead?
Whatever else went on with the plotting of the show, and the way it was wrapped up, It didn't help to have the best actresses sidelined.

Also, why was Queenie "eliminated" before the test of divnation? She came back fom hell, teleported all over the place, and next up, she was just the helper for the divination test. Did I miss a line where she said she couldn't do it?

So Misty was the weakest? Thats so lame. I always figured that she would be the strongest . She always seemed the most powerful til this episode

ultron87

One of the big themes of the first episode of the show was foreshadowing a big conflict between normal people and witches. Fiona, Madison, and Zoe kill people with their powers and Madison does it in an extremely public way. You also have Delphine and Marie coming to conflict in flashback. Cordelia tells the story of Misty getting burned at the stake by normal people as a warning that they can't reveal themselves.

Then by the end of the season they just reveal themselves to the world as an afterthought with no mention of the previously mentioned disastrous consequences.

Also, why was Queenie "eliminated" before the test of divnation? She came back fom hell, teleported all over the place, and next up, she was just the helper for the divination test. Did I miss a line where she said she couldn't do it?

She failed at resurrecting Zoe.

Agkel

Seriously? @ the people writing off AHS bcs this season was not up to snuff! The age we live in...

We got a great season and a pretty good season with S1 and S2. Admittedly this season was all over the place, had pacing troubles and lots of loopholes but it sure as hell still better than most shit out there on TV. I'm sure they can pick up back again and fix their problems for S4.

McLovin

I really liked this season. It had a lot of awesome characters. (Myrtle, Misty, Voodoo Queen, Madam Delphine, Fiona...) but good lord Cordelia's ending felt like it was really pulled outta thin air. It all got really clumsy towards the end.

Also, wtf does Myrtle yell
when she's being burnt again?

Balenciaaaaagaaaaa

I'm not 100% sure why she shouted it. Maybe it was a fashion thing? She did go on about fashion throughout the whole season.

Also, I might be mistaken, but didn't Queenie bring someone back to life in an earlier episode? Or maybe I'm thinking about when she came back from having her brains blown out?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Right. But because of all the evil shit she did, Legba gets her "soul"-soul. Which I think is why she wanted to die in Cordelia's arms, to try to prevent that. A double meaning between accepting her death and fate while accepting her daughter. AND accepting she was dying and trying to save herself from whatever fate/possible hell on the otherside. Just like some people ask a priest to forgive their sins on their deathbed to avoid being "sinned" and going to hell.

Nemesis_

Then by the end of the season they just reveal themselves to the world as an afterthought with no mention of the previously mentioned disastrous consequences.

When you consider where Cordelia was at when she first said that line and where she was when she did the interview, I feel like it makes sense. She's realised she's literally the most powerful witch and willing to protect her girls. She's confident and not scared anymore. That's basically meant to reflect how far her character arc has come.

So they had Fiona fake her death so that she could come back....and die. Great.

American Horrible Story. Have severe doubts about checking out Season 4 now.

It's honestly tough to tackle anything regarding witchcraft. It's not taken seriously enough, and either delves into black comedy, or horrible B quality shit that is more akin to the X-men. It doesn't help that they chose to set it in a time of great skepticism and materialism, so we were confined to a single house and characters all killing and resurrecting each other because there just wasn't enough to go on.

They completely dropped the ball with this season in every respect. EVERY one. But each season stands alone and the first two are actually quite good. The fourth season should not be beholden to the same fate as three, unless the creators just don't have the motivation to be adventurous and creative with the material.

Yeah this shows saving grace is that each season differs from the last. Unless you didn't like any of the seasons, not watching four because three wasn't your cup of tea is pretty silly.

Koomaster

But she had managed to resurrect Misty just the night before so...
I wondered the same thing. My best explanation is that any witch can at one point or another do any/all of the seven wonders. But just because they control fire once doesn't mean they have a mastery over pyrokinesis. The seven wonders test is to prove that they can do all those seven powers at whim.

So while Queenie was able to resurrect Misty that one time; it doesn't mean she has such control over that power as to do it whenever she wants. The supreme on the other hand is able to perform all seven wonders at any time she pleases, which is what the test is looking for.

Yeah this shows saving grace is that each season differs from the last. Unless you didn't like any of the seasons, not watching four because three wasn't your cup of tea is pretty silly.

Didn't like 1 or 3, though I did see 3 through end which is something I couldn't do for 1. Besides, the one thing that links all three is the writing team. Right now, the odds are that I won't like 4, but I'll give the first couple episodes a shot before I write it totally off.

Pretty mediocre season overall. The story just never came together. It doesn't help that all the writers have ADHD. They could never settle on a single, overarching story. Shit just happened because.

The finale was no different.

Just so many different story elements at play that were just introduced at the last moment. Every character suddenly has powers they hadn't exhibited before. Suddenly Fiona isn't dead, only to die in the most undramatic scene ever. There were zero long gestating storylines to pay-off, as a result the episode fell flat.

This season's saving grace was Myrtle Snow. <3

Coven needed Zachary Quinto as a flamboyantly psychotic warlock.

Oh, and that dog from Murder House. He should have had powers as well.

Hopefully next season is better.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Wow, this season sucked hard. I was expecting so much, since the second one was incredible... damn. What a disappointment.

Here's hoping next season is better... much better.

Double D

I feel like this season would have worked a lot better as it's own continuing show that spanned several seasons. A lot of potentially interesting arcs that were just rushed along and then swept under the rug.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
I can't believe Evan Peter's role this season. His role in both the first and second seasons was very important (and he is a very good actor), but in the third season he was there only because. :|

Zoe

I wondered the same thing. My best explanation is that any witch can at one point or another do any/all of the seven wonders. But just because they control fire once doesn't mean they have a mastery over pyrokinesis. The seven wonders test is to prove that they can do all those seven powers at whim.

Yeah, that girl in the silent film did all 7 wonders but burned up in her own fire.

inm8num2

I can't believe Evan Peter's role this season. His role in both the first and second seasons was very important (and he is a very good actor), but in the third season he was there only because. :|

Maybe it had to do with limited availability from filming X-Men: Days of Future Past.

starmud

i feel a lot of the let down comes from the fact that it was a happy ending for the ones who survived.

in the end, much of the story was fluff, it didn't lead to a satisfying twist or conclusion, what we all could expect (hell, my 60 year old mother predicted the supreme) turned out to be true. the opening credits/previews did somewhat spoil what was going to happen after all, which is the biggest joke for me.

it was a happy ending. the rightful person got supreme. the young witches with some good nature lived on (other than poor misty, but her ending fitted her storyline)... and the coven became safely known and was able to prosper. they even went over the top with the theme of good and justice by having myrtle burned for her crimes.

there is something to be said that they did go for good versus evil plot and let good win. even if it was a disgusting let down to the degree which they did. everyone in hell, belonged there.

the best moment in the show bar none was fiona in her hell. it was amazing. i could have watched it play on a loop.

I already checked out on the season. Haven't seen the finale, but honestly I don't care enough to.

Just like last time, it tried to do too much, and after a time it just felt like they were tossing things in there for the sake of it. I'm actively going to pass on next season unless I hear that it's properly good again...damn shame too. It's almost like the piss poor plot overshadows Lange. GOD that woman is magnificent.

T.O.P

Banned
I actually liked the finale, it was nice to have a happy ending for once (yay Madison dead, buuuuu Misty dead)

Anyway

Asylum > Coven > Murder House (wich i will rewatch sometime next week as it didn't really grab me the first time)

Best character of this season
tumblr_mya8zinh611s4jr0no1_500.gif

fuckin love everything Frances Conroy does <3

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
While i still would put S3 over two .. i'm starting to think it might just be this series in general is complete shit. I'm trying really hard to think about good things from ANY point in AHS and I'm realizing that at the end of every single season i'm basically thinking "Ok.. well this whole Hard R'ish horror on TV thing is a pretty good idea but this was kind of garbage... i bet they get their footing now and next season is killer!"
And now it's feeing like Deje'vu cause i've done this shit for 3 seasons in a row.

The writers for this pile are just terrible, horrible, no good, very bad people at having any time of arc or cohesion or meaningful story. Season1 was marred by terrible acting out of the young cast and a see it a mile away plot. Season two was 800 too many fucking cooks in the kitchen and felt like a producer showed up 3 episodes before the finale and was like "You assholes know you only have 3 weeks left right?" and then everyone checked their calendars and went "welp fuck this. Everyone dies i guess?" and Season 3 was literally boring. A horror story with gore and violence and dark magic abound and nothing. Fucking. Happened. Seriously the final episode is picking a supreme? That's fucking it??!!

They didn't even make Cordelia look like a proper boss as she was finishing her trials. Just ONE witch should have woke up (Madison would have been a decent choice) and been smiling and all "I actually kind of like it there!' but at the same time hell wasn't even fucking CLOSE to scary. Hell is apparently one situation that any half decent pulled together and stable human being deals with multiple times through out their life? Killing a godamned frog???!!!1

Fuck this stupid show.

ultron87

I totally thought for a sec that Kyle was going to exhibit surpise witch powers to resurrect Zoe when he was crying over her and become the first male supreme.

That would've been just as out of nowhere as Cordelia suddenly becoming a competent leader for no reason.

Ekdrm2d1

I actually liked the finale, it was nice to have a happy ending for once (yay Madison dead, buuuuu Misty dead)

Anyway

Asylum > Coven > Murder House (wich i will rewatch sometime next week as it didn't really grab me the first time)

Best character of this season
tumblr_mya8zinh611s4jr0no1_500.gif

fuckin love everything Frances Conroy does <3

lol. That's a hardcore gif!

Just watched it.

A fittingly lame end to a thoroughly terrible season of television.

So. Fucking. Stupid. Such a waste of talent. Such a muddled mess.

Asylum >>>>>>>>>> Murder House >> Coven

Overall, this season came across as disjointed, weirdly inspired in usage of film technique and wanting in true character and storyline development and payoff overall. It appeared to be a great deal of sensationalism and absurdity thrown about with just enough serious tones to make it stick, much like a toddler tossing baby food at a wall, it could be considered art, but... well... was it really?

The whole concept was quite enthralling and the ideas presented in the first few episodes were strong and had great potential to thrive. Where things went wrong in my opinion was ratcheting up the conflict with the outgoing Supreme and her disciples. I'm not sure if they truly had envisioned the Supreme as an antagonist or simply an obstacle to be overcome by the coven.

That and adding side stories that really had little relevance to the main story like the situations occurring with the neighbor and the butler were just more wasted time. At the very least the neighbor should have been a witch or warlock being dominated by his mother. At the very most the butler should have had much less screen time.

I would have done quite a bit differently, but alas I am not a writer or producer working on AHS. I can only hope that such liberties are not taken next season.

I'll stick to my previous statement that the season could have brilliant if it were entirely about Delphine LaLaurie. And hell, keep Marie Laveu, too. Make it all about their conflict. Ditch the witch bullshit entirely.

That could have been great television.

Nemesis_

Did anyone really like the sound score for this season? It was very electronic and felt very modern. I particularly loved the way everything came together during Cordelia's demonstration of her powers. It almost sounded like Donkey Kong *.*

tirminyl

This season was a complete disappointment to me. It seemed like it had no focus and they were just testing things out each episode to see what worked and then ditching it for something else. I am going to have to question if I will even watch the next season.

As for Cordelia, I am happy the way things turned out for her. Myrtle was simply the best character on that show and she was the only character that I liked from beginning to end. I didn't care for anyone else really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom