• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American christian killed attempting to preach to hostile "uncontacted" tribe.

VAL0R

Banned
The young missionary knew he would likely be attacked and perhaps be killed. He hoped to, however, win the people over, befriend them, help and serve them and ultimately introduce the gospel of Jesus Christ to them. He did not want to die. He believed that if he was murdered while trying to spread the gospel to an unreached people, that he would become a martyr for Christ. Martyrs for the sake of Jesus enjoy unimaginable heavenly reward forever, according to Christianity. If Christianity is true, he died in what is perhaps the most glorious way possible and will be rewarded thusly.

Also, Christians care nothing for the legality of evangelism in any given nation. "It was illegal" to do what he did, some say. But Christians are not bound by the laws of man if those laws hinder the worship of God. Or as the apostles put it, 'we serve God and not man.' This is why Christians smuggle Bibles into nations where they are forbidden and have secret underground churches, preach where it is outlawed, and so on.

He has been added to the number of God's martyrs in heaven. There is a chosen number of martyrs that God will allow, known only to Him, and once completed God will judge the world with fire and his angels.

Revelation 6
9 And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held.
10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying: How long, O Lord (holy and true) dost thou not judge and revenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?
11 And white robes were given to every one of them one; and it was said to them, that they should rest for a little time, till their fellow servants, and their brethren, who are to be slain, even as they, should be filled up.

2 Thessalonians 1
4 So that we ourselves also glory in you in the churches of God, for your patience and faith, and in all your persecutions and tribulations, which you endure,
5 For an example of the just judgment of God, that you may be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which also you suffer.
6 Seeing it is a just thing with God to repay tribulation to them that trouble you:
7 And to you who are troubled, rest with us when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven, with the angels of his power:
8 In a flame of fire, giving vengeance to them who know not God, and who obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.
9 Who shall suffer eternal punishment in destruction, from the face of the Lord, and from the glory of his power:
10 When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be made wonderful in all them who have believed; because our testimony was believed upon you in that day.

He died for what he believed in, but the islanders killed for what they believe in as well. They honestly believe that his presence represents the end of every single one of them, via bacteria/disease/infections that they have no immunity to.

I don’t think this is as simple as Indian police boating over and slapping cuffs on some villagers. I think there is some assumption going on here of “how we think things work” but they don’t actually work that way in this case. This is a pretty tough situation.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
The young missionary knew he would likely be attacked and perhaps be killed. He hoped to, however, win the people over, befriend them, help and serve them and ultimately introduce the gospel of Jesus Christ to them. He did not want to die. He believed that if he was murdered while trying to spread the gospel to an unreached people, that he would become a martyr for Christ. Martyrs for the sake of Jesus enjoy unimaginable heavenly reward forever, according to Christianity. If Christianity is true, he died in what is perhaps the most glorious way possible and will be rewarded thusly.

Also, Christians care nothing for the legality of evangelism in any given nation. "It was illegal" to do what he did, some say. But Christians are not bound by the laws of man if those laws hinder the worship of God. Or as the apostles put it, 'we serve God and not man.' This is why Christians smuggle Bibles into nations where they are forbidden and have secret underground churches, preach where it is outlawed, and so on.

He has been added to the number of God's martyrs in heaven. There is a chosen number of martyrs that God will allow, known only to Him, and once completed God will judge the world with fire and his angels.

Revelation 6
9 And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held.
10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying: How long, O Lord (holy and true) dost thou not judge and revenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?
11 And white robes were given to every one of them one; and it was said to them, that they should rest for a little time, till their fellow servants, and their brethren, who are to be slain, even as they, should be filled up.

2 Thessalonians 1
4 So that we ourselves also glory in you in the churches of God, for your patience and faith, and in all your persecutions and tribulations, which you endure,
5 For an example of the just judgment of God, that you may be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which also you suffer.
6 Seeing it is a just thing with God to repay tribulation to them that trouble you:
7 And to you who are troubled, rest with us when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven, with the angels of his power:
8 In a flame of fire, giving vengeance to them who know not God, and who obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.
9 Who shall suffer eternal punishment in destruction, from the face of the Lord, and from the glory of his power:
10 When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be made wonderful in all them who have believed; because our testimony was believed upon you in that day.

in other words he risks destroying an entire group of people for greed. Who cares about the lives or desires of a group of people, so long as I can get my martyr card and reward.

Last edited:

Catphish

I'm never one to be happy for seeing anyone suffer, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel some satisfaction at seeing these people hold their ground.

Native peoples the world over have seen their cultures and societies decimated or outright destroyed because of outsiders trying to inject their religion into them.

And, really, religion has only been the lubricant that brings the rest of it; resource theft, enslavement, etc.. Though my guess is, if their little island had anything of actual value on it, the indigenous would have been removed long ago.

Good on 'em for keeping "civilization" off their shores. If a people want to remain isolated from this shit show we've turned the planet into, they should be allowed to. Leave them the fuck alone.

Ovek

7Member7
At least they buried him the last two people (two Indian fishermen) they killed they stuck on bamboo spikes looking out to sea as a warning.

Last edited:

VAL0R

Banned
in other words he risks destroying an entire group of people for greed. Who cares about the lives or desires of a group of people, so long as I can get my martyr card and reward.
I'm sure he was motivayed by love and saw his goal as saving their souls, bringing them from darkness to light. But yes, believing that God would reward him even if his mission failed.

Last edited:

VAL0R

Banned
He died for what he believed in, but the islanders killed for what they believe in as well. They honestly believe that his presence represents the end of every single one of them, via bacteria/disease/infections that they have no immunity to.

I don’t think this is as simple as Indian police boating over and slapping cuffs on some villagers. I think there is some assumption going on here of “how we think things work” but they don’t actually work that way in this case. This is a pretty tough situation.

I highly doubt they have any concept of germs or anything like it. I read that some (anthropologists?) believe they have even forgotten how to make fire (!) and so always keep one burning. These aren't scientifically minded people. These are the definition of primitive savage people.

Kenpachii

It's only a matter of time before that island gets invaded. I could see them being stalked to no end by youtubers or people that want to get famous in whatever way possible. I could even see it becoming a populaire suicide island.

Last edited:

John Day

I highly doubt they have any concept of germs or anything like it. I read that some (anthropologists?) believe they have even forgotten how to make fire (!) and so always keep one burning. These aren't scientifically minded people. These are the definition of primitive savage people.

How about they let them be? What was the price to pay the last time christianity arrived “to save” poor native savages?

danielberg

Neophyte
So even some randoms get to have border control and leftists even support it but be europe and its all "hurr open up cause bullshit reasons!" damn i am jealous.
So you have to be poor, stupid and react with violence to anyone that comes to be allowed to have borders, goddamn leftists make up the dumbest rules ever. :p

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Banned
One has to wonder, just how many generations does it take for Homo Sapiens Sapiens to speciate. They have been an isolated group for hundreds, if not thousands of years, or were they ever part of Homo Sapiens Sapiens to begin with. They are probably at the very least as different from modern Humans as Bonobos are from Chimpanzees.

danielberg

Neophyte
One has to wonder, just how many generations does it take for Homo Sapiens Sapiens to speciate. They have been an isolated group for hundreds, if not thousands of years, or were they ever part of Homo Sapiens Sapiens to begin with. They are probably at the very least as different from modern Humans as Bonobos are from Chimpanzees.

They would probably die if they come in contact with the modern world and its variation of diseases, so just leave them be seems to be the only viable solution anyway.
Nature is soo freaking weird.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
They would probably die if they come in contact with the modern world and its variation of diseases, so just leave them be seems to be the only viable solution anyway.
Nature is soo freaking weird.

Oh I agree, people need to leave them alone, treat them like an endangered species and just consider the area to be a nature reserve. There is absolutely no reason for any person to visit that island.

I don't really think nature is all that weird though. Humans show an amazing amount of compassion compared to other life on this planet towards weaker creatures, though that is a relatively modern development. We have been eradicating weaker hominids for our entire existence on this planet. If anything the Sentinelese got really lucky to have survived this long, and their aggression towards outsiders is likely all that has kept them alive, as their relatives on other islands nearby have been all but nearly wiped out by modernization.

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
I’m not religious, but I kind of admire that he had the courage to truly test his faith. Obviously it didn’t work out well, and it sounds like it’s a doomed population that’s slowly dying out. That said, it is my hope that when the island can be explored that we find precious gems and perhaps a fountain or cave with supernatural powers.

Xenon

Uh.
Tajikistan isn’t the Middle East, and it seems like they spent a tiny fraction of their trip in the Middle East (in relatively stable countries that are frequently visited by tourists).

The country is often included in the middle East, https://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/me.htm So it's not wrong to say that here considering the group that took credit was ISIS. Also I don't really think where they didn't get killed is relevant to the point of the article.

jadedm17

Etc

Suicide doesn't get you in Heaven, right? Going to an island where death is almost certain does? You seem genuine so I'm thoroughly confused how you think something this close to suicide means reward; That's an odd loophole, you can't just look for death.

VAL0R

Banned
Suicide doesn't get you in Heaven, right? Going to an island where death is almost certain does? You seem genuine so I'm thoroughly confused how you think something this close to suicide means reward; That's an odd loophole, you can't just look for death.
It's obviously not suicide.

Bolivar687

Banned

As a general legal principal, no one is normally responsible for the criminal act of another person. Murder is an extraordinary departure from the natural order - to fault someone for being killed by another person's malice is the literal definition of victim blaming.

I honestly can't imagine how much you would have to hate Jesus Christ to cheer on or celebrate this. The Gospel has been a timeless beacon of selflessness, boundless love, and relentless charity. As atheist biblical scholar Bart Ehrman wrote in his introduction to The Triumph of Christianity , the Western world simply did not have government welfare, public hospitals, or philanthropy as we know it until the Christian ideology overthrew the Thucydidian mindset. Universities and scientific research are almost entirely products of medieval Christian scholarship.

To point towards the evangelical accompaniment of colonial conquests is insane. In many cases, the clerical missionaries, like Bartolomé de las Casas, were the only ones advocating on behalf of natives back in Europe, while bringing them writing, medicine, and preserving their cultures.

I know people like to downplay the reality of anti-Christian animus, but the last few hundred years of Western history are rife with examples, time and again, of secular societies reveling in the butchery of Christians. To see people here delighting in murder shows that something has gone seriously wrong.

John Day

I don’t delight in murder, and it’s sad the man met his end as it was.

But why is not ok to just leave those people alone? Who said they need any gospel to save them?

As is, it’s better off to leave them as is, mainly because it actually may be unhealthy for them to have contact with outsiders, although how huge an impact i wouldn’t know.

highrider

Banned
As a general legal principal, no one is normally responsible for the criminal act of another person. Murder is an extraordinary departure from the natural order - to fault someone for being killed by another person's malice is the literal definition of victim blaming.

I honestly can't imagine how much you would have to hate Jesus Christ to cheer on or celebrate this. The Gospel has been a timeless beacon of selflessness, boundless love, and relentless charity. As atheist biblical scholar Bart Ehrman wrote in his introduction to The Triumph of Christianity , the Western world simply did not have government welfare, public hospitals, or philanthropy as we know it until the Christian ideology overthrew the Thucydidian mindset. Universities and scientific research are almost entirely products of medieval Christian scholarship.

To point towards the evangelical accompaniment of colonial conquests is insane. In many cases, the clerical missionaries, like Bartolomé de las Casas, were the only ones advocating on behalf of natives back in Europe, while bringing them writing, medicine, and preserving their cultures.

I know people like to downplay the reality of anti-Christian animus, but the last few hundred years of Western history are rife with examples, time and again, of secular societies reveling in the butchery of Christians. To see people here delighting in murder shows that something has gone seriously wrong.

Anti-Christian animus is certainly very real although how big of a problem it is is another discussion. I think a lot of it stems from the arrogance of Christianity and its certainly that it is the divine instrument required by all people. This arrogance got this young man killed. Have your beliefs, I try to respect everyone’s, but when you are told a population has killed any people that have attempted to make contact, listen. As I said I admire his courage, but also acknowledge the stupidity of his actions. Stop trying to convert everyone. Also your interpretation of Christian history.. 😬

Last edited:

There’s no such thing as primitive people. If these people have been apart from God for years and this man was just another missionary, he never had a chance. To go toe to toe with the evil you have to be free from sin and worldliness just as Christ was.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
The savages who killed him should be brought to justice. They could have captured him easily and held him. A culture which murders all other human beings on sight isn't worthy to coexist with modern man. Punish the murderers and re-educate the populous, especially focusing on the children. Their grandkids will be very grateful for Coke and civilization. Even let them live on the island if they want to stay, but watched and under the rule of law.

When they were first discovered, the explorer brought disease with him that decimated their population. From that moment, they decided there would never be another outsider to their island. So capturing him could and would have spelled Doom for them. Their immune systems aren't like ours.

They basically quarantined themselves.

When they were first discovered, the explorer brought disease with him that decimated their population. From that moment, they decided there would never be another outsider to their island. So capturing him could and would have spelled Doom for them. Their immune systems aren't like ours.

How would anyone even know this if they’re “quarantined” from everyone in the first place? Did they send out a newsletter?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Indian government says an isolated area should be left alone. Rebel Christian guy wants to spread his gospel on the other side of the world doesn't listen, pays off local people to get him there, and then gets whacked by pissed of natives who don't give a shit about Jesus.

News at 11.

Ragnaroz

Well, at least they guy that killed him is gonna be a hero in the tribe and marry many wives. So, some good came out of it.

Last edited:

This isn't true, at least from their perspective.

From wikipedia:

On further visits, he recorded that the islanders reacted to him with a mixture of amusement, bewilderment and hostility. He attempted to sing worship songs to them, and spoke to them in Xhosa, after which they often fell silent; while other attempts to communicate ended with them bursting into laughter.[46] He recorded that they communicated with "lots of high pitched sounds" and gestures.[47] Eventually, when he tried to hand over fish and gifts, a boy shot a metal-headed arrow at him which struck his Bible, and he left the island.[46]

If they viewed him as a life or death threat to their entire society, they would have killed him immediately, not laughed at him. I get that they might be hateful and distrustful of outsiders, but people don't generally laugh and find amusement from a person they feel is a threat to their entire existence. I don't think they had any idea about germs or immunity. They just killed him because he was an outsider.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
At least they buried him the last two people (two Indian fishermen) they killed they stuck on bamboo spikes looking out to sea as a warning.

WHOA!!!

Is something wrong with you man? You can't be serious! This is like reading what a racist KKK member would say about freed black people in the 1880s.

Top Bottom