• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American christian killed attempting to preach to hostile "uncontacted" tribe.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/21/asia/andaman-nicobar-us-missionary-killed-intl/index.html

An American Christian missionary is thought to have been killed by tribespeople from one of the world's most isolated communities on a remote island hundreds of miles off the coast of India, according to officials.
The 27-year-old American, identified as John Allen Chau, came to India on a tourist visa but came to the Andaman and Nicobar islands in October with the express purpose of proselytizing, Dependra Pathak, director general of police of the Andaman and Nicobar islands, told CNN.

"We refuse to call him a tourist. Yes, he came on a tourist visa but he came with a specific purpose to preach on a prohibited island," Pathak said.
Chau did not inform the police of his intentions to travel to the island to attempt to convert its inhabitants, officials said.

"John loved people, and he loved Jesus. He was willing to give his life to share Jesus with the people on North Sentinel island," Staver said in a press release. "Ever since high school, John wanted to go to North Sentinel to share Jesus with this indigenous people."

"The Sentinelese have shown again and again that they want to be left alone, and their wishes should be respected," the group said. "The British colonial occupation of the Andaman Islands decimated the tribes living there, wiping out thousands of tribespeople, and only a fraction of the original population now survive. So the Sentinelese fear of outsiders is very understandable."

-----------
https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Sentinelese

An uncontacted people, the group, estimated to be composed of anywhere from 40 to 500 individuals, is believed to have lived on North Sentinel Island for as long as 55,000 years and speaks the Sentinelese language, a language isolate not related to the native languages found on the surrounding islands.[6][7][8] Indian authorities have put in place laws that prohibit any individual being closer than 3 miles (4.8 km) to the island, for both the safety of outsiders, as the Sentinelese are known to be hostile, and the Sentinelese themselves. Being an isolated group, they likely do not possess the genetic immunity to survive exposure to common viruses, such as influenza and measles.[6][9] Because of their self-governing nature, India treats North Sentinel Island and its inhabitants as a sovereign state.[10]
Unlike other ethnic groups found in the Andamanese Islands, who were more welcoming to outsiders and now interact with them somewhat regularly, the Sentinelese appear to have consistently refused any interaction with the outside world.

Little new research available for anthropologists to review, the Sentinelese language remains an unclassified language.

Notable examples of direct contact
Contact by Maurice Vidal Portman (1880)
In 1880, in an effort to establish contact with the Islanders, British naval officer Maurice Vidal Portman (1860–1935), who was serving as a colonial administrator to the Andaman and Nicobar Islands at the time, led a group of Europeans to North Sentinel Island. Upon the arrival of the armed group, Islanders fled into the treeline but, after several days ashore, Portman's men were ultimately able to capture six individuals, an elderly man and woman and four children. The man and woman died shortly after or before their arrival in Port Blair, likely from disease, and so Portman attempted to befriend the surviving children by giving them gifts before returning them to North Sentinel Island, in hopes that the children would help village elders realise the British were friendly. The attempt was unsuccessful, likely due to the aggressive manner of Portman's visit to the island and the fact that his efforts resulted in the deaths of two Sentinelese people.[12][26] Additionally, due to differences in culture, the children might not have recognised the gifts as gifts.

Contact by T. N. Pandit (1967–1991)
In 1967, anthropologist T. N. Pandit, in a partnership with the Indian government, left gifts on the beaches of North Sentinel Island in hopes that friendly contact could be established with them. However, the Sentinelese did not accept the gifts.[9] Pandit made many more attempts over the years, all of them futile, and ultimately ceased his efforts to make contact in 1991.[9]

Contact by National Geographic (1974)
In early 1974, a National Geographic film crew went to the island with a team of anthropologists to film a documentary, Man in Search of Man. They were accompanied by armed police officers with sufficient protection. When the motorboat broke through the barrier reefs, the locals emerged from the jungle and discharged arrows at the boat. They landed at a safe-point on the coast and gifts in the forms of a miniature plastic car, some coconuts, a live pig, a doll, and aluminum cookware were left in the sand.[27] The Sentinelese followed up by launching another round of arrows, one of which struck the documentary director in his thigh. The man who wounded the director withdrew to the shade of a tree and laughed proudly while others speared and then buried the pig and the doll. Afterwards, they left, taking with them the coconuts and aluminium cookware.[13]

Wreck of the Primrose (1981)
In August 1981, the cargo ship Primrose ran aground in rough seas just off North Sentinel Island, stranding a small crew. After a few days, a reported 50 islanders appeared, threatening the crew. The captain of the ship broadcast urgent messages indicating that natives were on the verge of attacking the vessel with arrows and spears.[28] Nearly a week later, the ship was evacuated by helicopter.

Death of John Allen Chau (2018)
In November 2018, John Allen Chau from Alabama, a Christian missionary,[29] visited North Sentinel Island. He had reportedly paid fishermen Rs 25,000 to smuggle him from Port Blair to North Sentinel (considered to be a sovereign state under Indian law, which also prohibits travel to the island). According to First Post India, Chau had made several prior visits to the Andaman Islands.[30][31] John Allen Chau was trying to spread Christianity to the tribe and had made attempts before too.[32]
On November 18th, after an abortive attempt two days before, Chau reached North Sentinel Island by kayak. The fishermen who had taken him there (but had not themselves landed) saw him attacked by the islanders with bows and arrows as he reached the shore, but reported he kept walking despite the attack.[31] They later saw the islanders attach a rope around his neck and drag his body, whereupon the fishermen fled, but returned the following day and saw Chau's body on the shore.[31]
The fishermen who had illegally taken Chau to the island then reported his death to a local preacher and friend, who called his family in the USA, and the family subsequently called the United States Embassy in New Delhi.[31] Following this contact, Indian authorities arrested seven fishermen who, as of November 2018, may face a number of charges including being culpable of Chau's homicide.[33][34][35][36] No charges can be brought by India against Sentinelese islanders following its declaration as a sovereign state by the Indian government. Furthermore, Chau was in direct violation of Indian law, which dictates that any passage within three miles of the coastline is illegal, and is enforced by the Indian Navy.[37][38]

the group, estimated to be composed of anywhere from 40 to 500 individuals

This isn't genetically diverse enough to maintain itself for longer than a few hundred years. Sooner or later the tribe will have to leave their island, or alternatively go extinct. Seems they have been on transient decline for some time.

Also this guy was pissing into the wind. As were the Jesuits when they tried to convert Japan to Christianity.

Alternatively, all one has to do to convert them into modernity, is to airdrop a few boxes of Chocolates+other treats and some alcohol. They will be forced into trade or off the island by virtue of their newfound cravings for junk food and drugs.

As things stand the tribe is better off isolated from Indian society, as the bulk of Indian society is overpopulated and among the poorest demographic regions on the planet. Tribe would be downgrading.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
And people wonder what would happen if we ever contacted aliens and these are just hermits on the same planet

Snow_Lizard

"No charges can be brought by India against Sentinelese islanders following its declaration as a sovereign state by the Indian government."

Um, why not? Murder's murder, and nations bring charges against foreigners all the time.

bitbydeath

"No charges can be brought by India against Sentinelese islanders following its declaration as a sovereign state by the Indian government."

Um, why not? Murder's murder, and nations bring charges against foreigners all the time.

The guy broke the law by going there anyway.

Aintitcool

Banned
If somebody wanted to be extra malicious, they could transport a cow to the island and record as the natives kill it on the beach then proliferate the footage. Hindus would swarm the island and tear the natives to pieces.
Just so you know, In india if you go to Muslim restaurants, you can eat cow.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
What an absolutely needless death. What a bloody fool. It’s sad that people feel the need to go convert foreign people to their way of life.

SaviourMK2

I pity his friends and loved ones for having lost someone they care about. I don't pity Chau because that was beyond one of the stupidest things a person could do. He would've had a better shot preaching in North Korea.

What the hell was his game plan? Walk up to a secluded group who didnt speak English (I assume based on his stupidity he had only enough room for one language) and is known for killing trespassers and preach a teaching they couldn't possibly understand and... MAGICALLY convert them?

I'm just outraged by the clear level of irresponsibility, stupidity and thoughtlessness of this idiot's decision.

He didnt die a martyr, he committed suicide.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
So, be stupid get killed? I think their aggressive disinterest in his preachings were well-known. It does not excuse them for the murder, but he was a douchebag either way.

That's a real shame, but what was he thinking? It was obvious it wasn't going to end well, but what a shame nevertheless.

It's weird to think of "angry island natives" still being a thing in 2018.

I've lived in the Andaman and Nicobar for 2 years.

Everybody knows that the government has rules and restrictions around North Sentinel. Just as there are rules and restrictions around the Jarawa tribes in the Andamans.

To expect anything other than a spear or an arrow in your midriff as you get onto that beach is incredibly naive and stupid.

This was less murder and more suicide. Murder will be the word to use if his dead body ends up contaminating the last remaining members of the tribe in any way. Should that happen - this guy would be responsible for the extinction of an entire people from the planet.

He was an idiot who knew what he was doing as are the fishermen who led him to his death.

Edit: SMH at the blatant attempts at thread derailment with the Hindu/Indian trolling.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Of course really they're just a security team dressed up as tribes men pretending to be a primitive people whilst India uses the island as a secret weapons research facility.

AfricanKing

Went to do Gods work .. ended up meeting him

His intentions where good but he should not have been there in the first place man . Sad story

Ichabod

Banned
0OvwyTW.jpg

Mr Hyde

I love the description of the tribe folks that´s written on Wikipedia.

"Their main occupation is hunting, gathering and spearing nosy people. "

Sakura

I don't understand what he was expecting. Did he not read the stories of other people going to the island? It's not like he speaks their language anyway so I'm not sure what he thought would happen.
This isn't genetically diverse enough to maintain itself for longer than a few hundred years. Sooner or later the tribe will have to leave their island, or alternatively go extinct. Seems they have been on transient decline for some time.
They've already been on the island for hundreds of years.

Arkhan

Grand Vizier of Khemri
Staff Member
I've had to delete a few posts and remind some folk that a contribution to a topic means actually posting about the topic, not a random string of words they think are funny or offensive enough to bait others. I will be issuing further warnings as needed. Keep it on topic please.

WaterAstro

I pity his friends and loved ones for having lost someone they care about. I don't pity Chau because that was beyond one of the stupidest things a person could do. He would've had a better shot preaching in North Korea.

What the hell was his game plan? Walk up to a secluded group who didnt speak English (I assume based on his stupidity he had only enough room for one language) and is known for killing trespassers and preach a teaching they couldn't possibly understand and... MAGICALLY convert them?

I'm just outraged by the clear level of irresponsibility, stupidity and thoughtlessness of this idiot's decision.

He didnt die a martyr, he committed suicide.
Pretty much. Whatever he thinks himself as a matyr, religion doesn't tell people to kill themselves. It's the people themselves that twist the belief and justify their actions.

This guy killed himself for no reason.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
"John loved people, and he loved Jesus. He was willing to give his life to share Jesus with the people on North Sentinel island," Staver said in a press release. "Ever since high school, John wanted to go to North Sentinel to share Jesus with this indigenous people."

butwhy.gif

Madonis

He didn't deserve to die, as a person, but his own actions were responsible for that sad outcome.

I can understand people wanting to spread their religion, on paper, yet this was a suicide mission.

Makariel

Only when the murder is on their own sovereign territory. The island is considered a sovereign state as far as I'm aware, your laws don't apply to them.
I know. But you won't find Big Macs on the menu in hindu majority areas. At least not with beef patties.
I had a lovely steak in Delhi. That McD doesn't have beef on offer has more to do with limited demand than anything else. McD's primary business is business, they likely figured out the demand for beef was so low it doesn't deserve a spot on the menu. Even if it's on the menu, most folks just don't eat beef. McD in Thailand is the opposite, double big macs and other bugers with 4+ beef patties are common there.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Sheesh, people in this thread seem ignorant that Christian missionaries are responsible for bringing medicine and education to hundreds of cultures over the centuries, often being put to death by the local governments for their efforts. The proliferation of literature across numerous languages was also largely due to Christianity's push for translating the Bible into new languages.

Sucks that the guy died.

Sucks that anybody died for any reason, but he should have done some basic research. It's like jumping into a volcano and expecting to live.

People around him really should have been telling him this was an awful idea. I mean, I don’t want to speak ill of a seemingly good guy who was murdered but there’s some sort of ego trip involved in thinking everyone in the world is missing one thing and that thing is “My God.”

I dunno.

jadedm17

It seems crazy but to be fair they've made their wishes to be left alone clear for some decades now, and minutes of Google research - or 30 seconds of reading the OP - and any sane individual wouldn't try to visit. They also wouldn't lie and break laws to get there. Seems simple enough right?

ph33rknot

Banned

just like when you go hunting and not trying to disparage but you don't blame the animal if he kills the hunter they're not bound by our rules

VAL0R

Banned
The savages who killed him should be brought to justice. They could have captured him easily and held him. A culture which murders all other human beings on sight isn't worthy to coexist with modern man. Punish the murderers and re-educate the populous, especially focusing on the children. Their grandkids will be very grateful for Coke and civilization. Even let them live on the island if they want to stay, but watched and under the rule of law.

On Rogan’s podcast they pulled up the google reviews people are leaving for the island. I feel bad to laugh so hard at some of the comments.

The savages who killed him should be brought to justice. They could have captured him easily and held him. A culture which murders all other human beings on sight isn't worthy to coexist with modern man. Punish the murderers and re-educate the populous, especially focusing on the children. Their grandkids will be very grateful for Coke and civilization. Even let them live on the island if they want to stay, but watched and under the rule of law.

Technically don’t they not co-exist, though? They aim to live on their own.

Gotta be honest I’m not sure how I feel about this. Who are we to say what another culture needs to be? I’m pretty sure it’s illegal to go to their island, they don’t want to harm any of us. To them an outsider, even just one guy, carries a possible infection that kills every single one of them.

Last edited:

-Minsc-

People around him really should have been telling him this was an awful idea. I mean, I don’t want to speak ill of a seemingly good guy who was murdered but there’s some sort of ego trip involved in thinking everyone in the world is missing one thing and that thing is “My God.”

I dunno.

To think this through, based on my understanding of certain things, the fellow likely considered this "his calling" from God. Around him there was very likely people telling him it was a very bad idea (mixed with those who supported his mission). Some would even have said that their message from God was it being a bad idea. Sometimes we just get set on a path and nothing anyone else says can change out minds.

petran79

Banned

Yes, there are limits to a sovereign state. Indian police can intervene anytime they see fit and the perpetrators should be judged and put to jail on that islands. I guess the island has police at least, meaning native bilingual policemen.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

Top Bottom