• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen 3000 Overclocking Mounting Brackets Debut --Improve your Ryzen temps without delidding --- [7°C gain ] --- [Der8auer ]

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/n...ing-mounting-brackets-debut-for-just-dollar33

AMD's Ryzen 3000-series CPUs are based on a chiplet design, which means that there is one central I/O die with the CPU core dies placed next to it. Because of this, the heat doesn't come from the central spot on the heat spreader anymore, and for a long time there have been discussions on whether cooler placement and orientation matters. Some parties say it does matter, but others, such as Noctua, say it doesn't (at least on their coolers). Overclocker Der8auer, from Germany, does believe that cooler placement matters, particularly for AIOs that don't provide full coverage. With that in mind, he built a new set of mounting brackets that solve the problem.

The products he's built are the Ryzen 3000 OC Bracket AIO and the Ryzen 3000 OC Bracket Custom, which are built for all-in-one water coolers and custom water cooling loops, respectively.

iPSUGeGKw4QeYL9CFgeXAd-650-80.png

W7Nmi7R78j8GEqYYH7FKKd-650-80.png

The principle idea behind the brackets is that they allow you to adjust the placement of the liquid cooler's cold plate, as they're often round or too small to cover the entire CPU's heatspreader. By adjusting it, you'll be able to place the central part of the cold plate closer to the hot spot generated by the CPUs I/O and core dies. In his testing, Der8auer found that optimizing the placement can yield temperatures up to 7C lower than the standard placement. Of course, we would have to test this for ourselves to see if indeed it makes that big a difference. If it does, it's a pretty neat way to improve temperatures on Ryzen 3000 CPUs without delidding, which is quite difficult due to the dies lying below the height of the AM4 socket's mounting mechanism.
8BJWHnPeNqY2M7bFCBAann-650-80.png

Der8auer tested the brackets on roughly 30 different AMD X570 motherboards with a handful of coolers and built up a compatibility list with the information. The overclocker has also compiled a list of exactly which deviations you should maintain in the X and Y axis to achieve optimal results, depending on which CPU you're using.

The Der8auer OC brackets are available in Germany from Caseking for just €30 per set ($33 USD). On their product pages (Ryzen 3000 OC Bracket AIO and the Ryzen 3000 OC Bracket Custom) you can also find the compatibility information per motherboard.

As soon as I get my hands on that Kraken AIO, I'll get these brackets. This is geared towards water coolers and AIO's. Not really meant for air coolers.

Last edited:
This might explain why water coolers performed so badly in the LTT-Video where funnily, the quietest and best cooling method was a air cooler.
Yeah I watched that video and was pretty shocked. With this kit, that's pretty much solved. And it's not expensive. Only 33 bucks.

CuNi

Yeah I watched that video and was pretty shocked. With this kit, that's pretty much solved. And it's not expensive. Only 33 bucks.

Gotta say, those 33 bucks do come on top of the price for the cooling solution though so one has to see if price/perf still is as good as before.
With AIO's being somewhat more expensive (depending on which you buy and against which air solution you compare it to ofc.) adding additional 33 bucks on top of that, while cooling the CPU better, IMHO actually makes air coolers somewhat more attractive unless you plan on doing a overclock etc.

Nope. Ltt test used intel 9700k not Ryzen chiplets. Explanation is just that noctua air coolers are really good and aios aren't really that great.
Aio's are great but do have problems with ryzens because of the chiplet design. I got business I got to take care now, but I'll link you the results with this kit. It's quite a difference.
EDIT: Actually, there are no tests yet for this der8auer kit. For now we have to trust him when he says it' lowering temps up to 7°C .

Last edited:

waylo

Banned
Anyone care to link this LTT video being talked about? I've got a 3800X just running on the stock cooler at the moment. I want to get an AIO, but my buddy got one and his temps aren't a whole lot better than what I've got now (granted, I do have a custom curve setup that's pretty aggressive to help mitigate the fact these things run hot as hell).

Last edited:
Anyone care to link this LTT video being talked about? I've got a 3800X just running on the stock cooler at the moment. I want to get an AIO, but my buddy got one and his temps aren't a whole lot better than what I've got now (granted, I do have a custom curve setup that's pretty aggressive to help mitigate the fact these things run hot as hell).
I don't know how can you live with that stock cooler. I had mine for 2 weeks and I couldn't live with anymore. Constant fan up and down. So annoying. I invested in artic freezer esports duo 34. I also had to setup the custom fan curve, it still did the fan rev when ever I opened a tab or similar things. I have set it up like this:
50 percent fan speed all the time until temps get to 65C. From 65C fans go to 75 percent and after 80C it's full blast. So far this is working out for me.
As for the temps, it's pretty normal for ryzens to idle at 50C. I was shocked too, but after thorough investigation, it's fine.
Here's mine in desktop.

mWcvwJ2.jpg

Last edited:

CuNi

Here you go!

Nope. Ltt test used intel 9700k not Ryzen chiplets. Explanation is just that noctua air coolers are really good and aios aren't really that great.

But those chips also have I/O parts on them, and in their tests, the heat difference was only 2-3°C, so not huge but something, which could easily be attributed to also cooling the wrong spot.
If moving the "center of cooling" a few mm down cooled the Chip 7°!!! then it's not totally unimaginable that this is also the reason for ~2° on Intel CPU's, where AFAIK the cores also sit left and right and the I/O is in the middle.
Just to reiterate, I'm not saying "this has to be the reason!", just that this might be the reason. I'm no CPU architect expert.

Last edited:
But those chips also have I/O parts on them, and in their tests, the heat difference was only 2-3°C, so not huge but something, which could easily be attributed to also cooling the wrong spot.
If moving the "center of cooling" a few mm down cooled the Chip 7°!!! then it's not totally unimaginable that this is also the reason for ~2° on Intel CPU's, where AFAIK the cores also sit left and right and the I/O is in the middle.
Just to reiterate, I'm not saying "this has to be the reason!", just that this might be the reason. I'm no CPU architect expert.

I can only speak from my experience and my experiences with AIO's and those where acceptable but not great, like in the LTT test. Over 2 CPU generations I cooled with 2 Corsair AIO's and the results where ok but not mindblowing. On those 2 AIO's one pump broke. With my Noctua NHD15 the cooling results are better and there is no pump that could break. I would only go custom loop or air. AIO's are just not that great IMO. Expensive, not easier to install than a big air, cooling results are not that great. I believe Roman if he says that his bracket can improve results on ryzen but that doesn't mean AIO's are a good thing, just that they got more expensive to maybe get the same results than a good air.

waylo

Banned
I don't know how can you live with that stock cooler. I had mine for 2 weeks and I couldn't live with anymore. Constant fan up and down. So annoying. I invested in artic freezer esports duo 34. I also had to setup the custom fan curve, it still did the fan rev when ever I opened a tab or similar things. I have set it up like this:
50 percent fan speed all the time until temps get to 65C. From 65C fans go to 75 percent and after 80C it's full blast. So far this is working out for me.
As for the temps, it's pretty normal for ryzens to idle at 50C. I was shocked too, but after thorough investigation, it's fine.
Here's mine in desktop.

mWcvwJ2.jpg
The fan speed up and down is what made me go in and make a custom curve. By default, the fans do that because the temps spike all over and it's set to react to that. If you set a solid curve, it completely eliminates the ramping.

Top Bottom