• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD RX 6000 'Big Navi' GPU Event | 10/28/2020 @ 12PM EST/9AM PST/4PM UK

GymWolf

As Ascend Ascend mentioned, the initial batch will sell out but restocks should be good/regular
i'm sorry dude, i never buy gpus at launch so i'm not familiar with restocks timings, is it 2-3 months like i said of before that?!

I wanna build the new rig before anything important comes out in 2021 so ideally around january-february, it's bad already that i have to play cyberpunk with a filthy 2070 super...

Last edited:

Elias

i'm sorry dude, i never buy gpus at launch so i'm not familiar with restocks timings, is it 2-3 months like i said of before that?!

I wanna build the new rig before anything important comes out in 2021 so ideally around january-february, it's bad already that i have to play cyberpunk with a filthy 2070 super...

restocks are usually weekly or bi-weekly... not months.

rnlval

Where'd you read that? Very relevant for me but haven't heard a peep on specifics like that.

amd-5800x-cpu-aa.png

amd-5800x-cpu-mm.png

My comment: Significant AVX performance jump with Ryzen 7 5800X 8C/16T vs Ryzen 7 3700X 8C/16T

SiSoftware's Executive Summary:
Zen3 (X, 8-core) is ~25-40% faster than Zen2 (X, 8-core) across all kinds of algorithms. We have to give it 10/10 overall!

Despite no major architectural changes over Zen2 (except larger 8-core single CCX layout and thus unified L3 cache), Zen3 manages to be quite a bit faster across legacy and heavily vectorised SIMD algorithms: it beats the competition even with AVX512 and more cores (e.g. 10-core SKL-X). Even streaming algorithms (memory-bound) improve over 20%. We certainly did not expect performance to be this good.

In effect, it is like getting 50% more cores – 8-core Zen3 performs like a 12-core Zen2 (e.g. 3900X) – and thus even a 10-core 10900K cannot compete. Considering you can just “pop it” into an existing AM4 mainboard (requires a BIOS update to support it) it is a massive upgrade from say, original Zen1/Zen+.

Last edited:

rnlval

While I think the RDNA2 cards are very impressive performance wise lets not go crazy.

They don't "wipe the floor" with Ampere, that's silly.

The 6800XT will trade blows with the 3080, game by game basis either one card or the other will "win" normally by a small number of frames or small percentage. Some will be so close it will essentially be a draw (1-3fps difference). If you turn on SAM and Rage Mode the 6800XT will generally pull ahead of the 3080 by a little, the 3080 will probably pull ahead in games with RT enabled by a little. We are not going to see night and day differences here people.

The 6900XT without SAM and RM on will likely be just a hair or so behind the 3090 in rasterization when all is said and done. Maybe like 2 or 3% behind overall? Possibly 5% at max. If you turn on SAM and RM it will generally close the distance to essentially be on par. Granted the card draws 50 watts less and costs $500 less for very close performance. If the OC headroom rumours are true then pushing up the power envelope to match 3090 should provide pretty great results.

And 6800 clearly beats 3070 with a very clear undisputed win.

Now given that these cards are cheaper, lower power draw, on a smaller chip/card and have less transistors, smaller bus, not to mention cool exclusive features like SAM and Infinity Cache, more VRAM (outside 3090) and that they are competitive in performance with Nvidia is pretty amazing.

But they are not going to demolish Nvidia or wipe the floor with the 3000 series in rasterization performance. Anyone expecting that is going to be disappointed come benchmarks day. They will be roughly on par on a game by game basis with wins and loses for each card. Depending on the titles benchmarked and how many of them there are, the 3000 series might actually pull ahead in the overall average by 1 or 2% margin potentially. Lets just wait and see final performance in real benchmarks, the impressive part is that both Nvidia and AMD are pretty much on par now in performance, which is great for everyone.

The cards reportedly do have a lot of overclocking headroom, so doing a manual OC, especially in the case of 6900XT which is against a 3090 with 50 more watts, should provide additional performance gains. I expect AIB OC models of all the 6000 series to really excel. However we have not seen "proof" of this necessarily with benchmarks/announcements from AIBs so lets not take it as confirmed fact until we get confirmation.

I think AMD seem to have done an amazing job here, especially seeing how far behind they were before and how much bigger Nvidia is as a company compared to the Radeon group inside AMD.
From https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-3070.c3674
RTX 3070 only has 448 GB/s video memory bandwidth.

RX 6800 has a large memory bandwidth booster with 128 MB Infinity Cache which is based on Zen 2's Level 3 cache IP which helps 512 GB/s 256-bit GDDR6-16000 video memory (https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/amd-radeon-rx-6800).

Both RX 6800 and RTX 3070 has 96 ROPS.

Overclocking RX 6800 will also overclock 128 MB Infinity Cache, hence enables 6800's performance to scale better with overclocking.

RX 6800 XT has 128 ROPS, 72 CU scale, and a higher clock speed.

rnlval

Please let me know when you get a date for preorders in Europe, I want a launch 6800XT.

Blast processing, eSRAM and TrayRacing.
Infinity Cache is not XBO style eSRAM i.e. it's a proper SRAM cache based on Zen 2's L3 cache IP.

XBO's eSRAM bandwidth is about 256-bit GDDR5-5500 levels. 128 MB Infinity Cache (L3 cache) has memory bandwidth similar to R9-290X's 1MB L2 cache (1 TB/s at 1Ghz)
XBO's eSRAM is not transparent to software which needs to be programmed for it. 128 MB Infinity Cache is transparent to existing software.

From https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-3070.c3674
RTX 3070 only has 448 GB/s video memory bandwidth.

RX 6800 has a large memory bandwidth booster with 128 MB Infinity Cache which is based on Zen 2's Level 3 cache IP which helps 512 GB/s 256-bit GDDR6-16000 video memory (https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/amd-radeon-rx-6800).

Both RX 6800 and RTX 3070 has 96 ROPS.

Overclocking RX 6800 will also overclock 128 MB Infinity Cache, hence enables 6800's performance to scale better with overclocking.

RX 6800 XT has 128 ROPS, 72 CU scale, and a higher clock speed.

I'm familiar with the specs.....why are you quoting me to mention the specs? I'm honestly not sure what point it is you are trying to make?

If the point was 6800 is much more powerful than 3070, then I haven't said otherwise. In fact in the post you quoted I mention that outright.

I'm honestly just a little confused about what your point is....can you clarify a bit for me?

rnlval

I'm familiar with the specs.....why are you quoting me to mention the specs? I'm honestly not sure what point it is you are trying to make?

If the point was 6800 is much more powerful than 3070, then I haven't said otherwise. In fact in the post you quoted I mention that outright.

I'm honestly just a little confused about what your point is....can you clarify a bit for me?
In terms of memory bandwidth, RX 6800 is a class above the short term RTX 3070.

NVIDIA will need to update RTX 3070 into something like an RTX 3070 Super or RTX 3070 Ti 16 GB VRAM.

Bolivar687

Banned
Sapphire-RX-6800-XT-NITRO-hero.jpg

edit: oh noes!!!

Last edited:

mr.dilya

Banned

On your marks.....get set.........to suck a Microcenter employees dick for the chance to sniff a 6800XT.

MadYarpen

They have also pulse edition teaser

I ve heard that different aib partners have different view on how the supply will look like. Maybe some received more from AMD. I hope I can grab pulse or nitro 6800 from sapphire..

I've said it a few times but people need to cool it with claims of being faster or much faster than Nvidia across the board.

We have not seen 3rd party benchmarks yet. 6800XT will likely be neck and neck with 3080, 6900XT will be a little slower than 3090 by a tiny amount and 6800 will be much faster than 3070. That is the most likely scenario.

If people keep hyping up them being faster then you are only setting yourself up for some crow eating later.

I've said it a few times but people need to cool it with claims of being faster or much faster than Nvidia across the board.

We have not seen 3rd party benchmarks yet. 6800XT will likely be neck and neck with 3080, 6900XT will be a little slower than 3090 by a tiny amount and 6800 will be much faster than 3070. That is the most likely scenario.

If people keep hyping up them being faster then you are only setting yourself up for some crow eating later.
Welcome to every gpu launch over the past few generations, if some of the people in here need a reminder. Early excitement almost always comes back to bite people in the ass. Look what happened yesterday on these very forums lol.

Last edited:

Velius

Banned
Last time I bought the Radeon/AMD card and CPU was 2003 I believe.

I think it's time to go back. What is the best build to get? Which CPU/GPU?

Last time I bought the Radeon/AMD card and CPU was 2003 I believe.

I think it's time to go back. What is the best build to get? Which CPU/GPU?

Well we haven't yet seen 3rd party benchmarks for the RDNA2 GPUs just yet, benchmarks are in for the new CPUs and they seem to (mostly) live up to the hype.

As with anything it depend on your budget and your target resolution.

6800XT for $649 seems to be the best overall bet right now for the GPUs. Regarding CPUs, it depends on how much multitasking/productivity stuff you do outside of gaming. generally the 5600X is probably a solid choice in a price/performance sweet spot. If you need the absolute best of both then the 6900XT and 5950X should be the cream of the crop for GPU/CPU will set you back a fair bit.

There is also the SAM feature to consider. If you have a 5000 series CPU, a 6000 series GPU and a 500 series motherboard then you can avail of the SAM feature to allow your CPU full access to the GPU memory, which improves overall efficiency and in turn improves performance around 5-7% average depending on the title.

We don't know if SAM will be backported to 400 series motherboards or not, we will have to wait and see but AMD has not mentioned anything yet so assume 500 boards only for now.

00_Zer0

They have also pulse edition teaser

I ve heard that different aib partners have different view on how the supply will look like. Maybe some received more from AMD. I hope I can grab pulse or nitro 6800 from sapphire..

I have the 5700 XT Nitro+in my rig right now and love it, so I'll be grabbing a 6800 XT Nitro+ asap and selling off this one. If supply is limited on the first batch of Sapphire cards I'll wait instead of getting a different 6800 XT card, because Sapphire card's are always worth waiting for.

mr.dilya

Banned
I have the 5700 XT Nitro+in my rig right now and love it, so I'll be grabbing a 6800 XT Nitro+ asap and selling off this one. If supply is limited on the first batch of Sapphire cards I'll wait instead of getting a different 6800 XT card, because Sapphire card's are always worth waiting for.

yeah decided to sell my 2060 for 200 and get a sapphire pulse 5700xt for now. I can’t do the hassle trying to get one of these new cards.

Velius

Banned
Well we haven't yet seen 3rd party benchmarks for the RDNA2 GPUs just yet, benchmarks are in for the new CPUs and they seem to (mostly) live up to the hype.

As with anything it depend on your budget and your target resolution.

6800XT for $649 seems to be the best overall bet right now for the GPUs. Regarding CPUs, it depends on how much multitasking/productivity stuff you do outside of gaming. generally the 5600X is probably a solid choice in a price/performance sweet spot. If you need the absolute best of both then the 6900XT and 5950X should be the cream of the crop for GPU/CPU will set you back a fair bit.

There is also the SAM feature to consider. If you have a 5000 series CPU, a 6000 series GPU and a 500 series motherboard then you can avail of the SAM feature to allow your CPU full access to the GPU memory, which improves overall efficiency and in turn improves performance around 5-7% average depending on the title.

We don't know if SAM will be backported to 400 series motherboards or not, we will have to wait and see but AMD has not mentioned anything yet so assume 500 boards only for now.
I just got a promotion and I'm looking to upgrade my quality of life, everything, car, home and rig. It was top tier back in 2015 and it can still tank everything better than XB1X and PS4Pro but I want actual 4k gaming at actual 60+, not the stupid bullshit Microsoft and Sony keep promising and then backpedaling on every five fucking years.

I've got the GTX 1080, an i5, I think it 's Devil's Canyon, I believe 16 gb of DDR3

I just got a promotion and I'm looking to upgrade my quality of life, everything, car, home and rig. It was top tier back in 2015 and it can still tank everything better than XB1X and PS4Pro but I want actual 4k gaming at actual 60+, not the stupid bullshit Microsoft and Sony keep promising and then backpedaling on every five fucking years.

I've got the GTX 1080, an i5, I think it 's Devil's Canyon, I believe 16 gb of DDR3

Nice, I think the 6800XT should be enough for 4K, but if you want a little extra performance for a lot more money you could go 6900XT.

You may also want to wait for AIB partner models, such as Sapphire as they tend to be factory overclocked with more performance than reference and a better cooling solution.

Regarding CPU they are much less important at 4K but a good choice might be the 5800X, 8 cores but a little expensive compared to 5600X but not that much to be honest.

For motherboard you will likely want either a B550 or X570 motherboard. X570 are the premium tier while B550 are the budget tier.

With motherboards you are mostly paying for features, number of ports, voltage capacity for overclocking/feeding power hungry parts and ports/slots. You will also be able to take advantage of the SAM feature if you go with the right CPU/CPU/Mobo

Bolivar687

Banned
I don't plan on moving on from the 4790k anytime soon. The results I've seen haven't convinced me bottlenecking is a serious concern and if it does, mine overclocks to 4.7 stable with applications. I'll just run it into the ground with that for as long as I can stand it.

When it does come time to upgrade my CPU I don't think I could move to AMD because Intel processors are just so absurdly cheap at Microcenter.

Armorian

Banned
yeah decided to sell my 2060 for 200 and get a sapphire pulse 5700xt for now. I can’t do the hassle trying to get one of these new cards.

Why RDNA1? You get fucking nothing, no RT, no DX12U (VRS) support and buggy drivers (and AMD will optimize for RDNA2). You had all that on 2060 (minus the drivers LOL) and could wait for new cards to be available...

Last edited:

Ascend

Unsolicited advice time;

If you maintain your current quality of life for 5 years and invest your additional income instead, after those 5 years you can easily surpass what you would be able to live like right now.

I don't plan on moving on from the 4790k anytime soon. The results I've seen haven't convinced me bottlenecking is a serious concern and if it does, mine overclocks to 4.7 stable with applications. I'll just run it into the ground with that for as long as I can stand it.

When it does come time to upgrade my CPU I don't think I could move to AMD because Intel processors are just so absurdly cheap at Microcenter.
The AMD motherboards are a lot cheaper, especially for what they offer.

Bolivar687

Banned

I know but the Microcenter factor comes in again, since they give great deals on bundling Intel processors with their motherboards so you come away with quality components for way less than you would have paid.

mr.dilya

Banned
Why RDNA1? You get fucking nothing, no RT, no DX12U (VRS) support and buggy drivers (and AMD will optimize for RDNA2). You had all that on 2060 (minus the drivers LOL) and could wait for new cards to be available...

I don’t care about ray tracing and the 5700xt is way better than a base 2060 and more on par with a 2070super, which is overpriced as hell. I value the better overall specs and the extra 2gigs of vram right now. Driver issues are pretty much fixed and I’ve had no problems. That’s $150 bucks I don’t mind spending to hold me down until I’m ready to go all out when there are more options and things are actually in stock for purchase.

Last edited:

notseqi

this is what I am shopping for however I have a feeling getting all of that this year will be very difficult due to shortages.
I will be happy if I'm wrong.
Just wait a bit for it all to die down. CP2077 is prolly the only thing worth upgrading for, if it actually hits this year.

pr0cs

Just wait a bit for it all to die down. CP2077 is prolly the only thing worth upgrading for, if it actually hits this year.
Yeah I'm not in a huge hurry, I want to see what the community says about the 6800xt, all bets are off until we get a good synopsis on drivers and stability.
I have a bunch of VR titles I want to play so that's my primary upgrade reason.

Velius

Banned
Unsolicited advice time;

If you maintain your current quality of life for 5 years and invest your additional income instead, after those 5 years you can easily surpass what you would be able to live like right now.

But I wanna buy shit I don't need!!! COME ON MAN

rnlval

Nice, I think the 6800XT should be enough for 4K, but if you want a little extra performance for a lot more money you could go 6900XT.

You may also want to wait for AIB partner models, such as Sapphire as they tend to be factory overclocked with more performance than reference and a better cooling solution.

Regarding CPU they are much less important at 4K but a good choice might be the 5800X, 8 cores but a little expensive compared to 5600X but not that much to be honest.

For motherboard you will likely want either a B550 or X570 motherboard. X570 are the premium tier while B550 are the budget tier.

With motherboards you are mostly paying for features, number of ports, voltage capacity for overclocking/feeding power hungry parts and ports/slots. You will also be able to take advantage of the SAM feature if you go with the right CPU/CPU/Mobo
6800 XT has the same ASIC, PCB and RAM as 6900 XT, hence just overlock 6800 XT.

Overlocked 6800 XT also overlocks 128 MB Infinity Cache (L3 cache) which scales the performance.

Last edited:

Rikkori

I just rewarded Samsung by buying one of their phones.
They're decent phones just overpriced at launch, always best to wait for the inevitable discount. Still on a Sony myself, I'm clinging to 16:9 until it completely dies, fookin' hate these thin tall phones they're making now! :messenger_astonished:

Ascend

They're decent phones just overpriced at launch, always best to wait for the inevitable discount. Still on a Sony myself, I'm clinging to 16:9 until it completely dies, fookin' hate these thin tall phones they're making now! :messenger_astonished:
I bought a new S10+ at $550. Upgraded from my HTC 10.

Let's just say I spend about as much on my phone as I would a graphics card.

Last edited:
Top Bottom