• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT To Counter-Attack NVIDIA RTX 2060 With Faster Clocks, New Factory Shipped BIOS From Several AIBs Ready

thelastword

Banned
It looks like AMD has decided to counter-attack NVIDIA's recent price drop of the RTX 2060 by offering faster clock speeds on their Radeon RX 5600 XT graphics card. Yesterday, NVIDIA's RTX 2060 got a price drop to $299 US, making it a surprisingly better deal than the upcoming AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT but AMD has a few tricks up their sleeves to counter that.

AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT Custom Models To Recieve Faster Factory-Shipped Clocks on Launch To Counter NVIDIA's RTX 2060

The mainstream $250-$300 US got superheated this month when AMD unveiled their Radeon RX 5600 XT graphics card but EVGA soon followed up with what for a while seemed to be their own answer to AMD's RX 5600 XT series, the RTX 2060 KO edition graphics card. Starting at $279 US, the graphics card was placed right against AMD's latest Navi offering but offered much more in terms of performance, features, and efficiency. We stated that this move couldn't be just from EVGA alone and other AIBs would soon follow suit which they did when yesterday, NVIDIA themselves announced the price cut of $299 US on their RTX 2060 graphics card.

Now that NVIDIA has played their cards, its time for AMD to respond back and they are doing so by allowing their AIBs to ship the RX 5600 XT custom designs with faster clocks through new BIOS. The new BIOS will allow AIBs to offer consumers RX 5600 XT graphics cards with faster clocks than what was initially disclosed by AMD and their board partners. Specifications such as the core config and the memory remain the same at 2304 stream processors, 6 GB GDDR6 VRAM and a 192-bit bus but the clocks are getting a boost.

Sapphire-Radeon-RX-5600-XT-PULSE-Specs-New-BIOS.jpg

This all has led to a slight increase in power consumption of the card which is up from 150W to 160W. The 8% increase in boost and a 3% increase in the game clock should result in a 5-10% increase in gaming performance over what was initially showcased, bringing it much closer to the RTX 2060 but the RTX cards still have the better feature set on board along with higher efficiency that Turing based GPUs have to offer.

https://wccftech.com/amd-counter-attacks-rtx-2060-faster-rx-5600-xt-clocks/

----------------------------------------------------------
Anybody remember when AMD was launching Navi people said, NV is unaffected, AMD is a nonfactor and Nvidia is not even worried? Now upon Navi's 5700 launch, you had the 2060S, the 2070S, the 2080S and rumors of the 2080ti-S when they heard of big Navi.......They said any card with raytracing was backwards and not competitive with them and soon after they launched a slew of non-rtx turing cards.......Now that the 5600XT is coming out to decimate that entire lineup of NON RTX cards, Nvidia drops the price of their RTX 2060 to $299........Nvidia is unaffected by AMD they say, but NVidia has reacted to every card AMD has dropped in the NAVI line including the 5500XT, they must be quaking in their boots about Big Navi, I'm just glad AMD has ensured that leaks on Big NAVI are kept to a minimum.....

Ascend

AMD really is playing the game of releasing something, already planning in advance to change it, and when nVidia plays their card, AMD adapts. They know nVidia is waiting, so they are prepared to respond to their response.

I like it. AMD is being a bit aggressive in return here, which we didn't really see in the past.

thelastword

Banned
AMD really is playing the game of releasing something, already planning in advance to change it, and when nVidia plays their card, AMD adapts. They know nVidia is waiting, so they are prepared to respond to their response.

I like it. AMD is being a bit aggressive in return here, which we didn't really see in the past.
AMD is unto them, Jebaited and now the upclocks, hence why NVidia must be shaking in their pants about big Navi, few leaks on big Navi and of course NV on a new node won't be as smooth as people expect.....Big Navi will be on 7nm+ already with 5-3nm RDNA 3.0 GPU's in the works.....AMD is setting up RTG just like they did Ryzen, first assault, second assault and the third assault is what will obliterate the competition...….People keep forgetting, that a huge core of the Ryzen team were deployed to RTG years ago to bring that same success that Ryzen enjoys to GPU's, that team is focused on architecture, IPC, efficiency and software and if RDNA is so fast with only 40 CU's, people better hold on to their hats......

ethomaz

Banned
When you need to increase clocks of a product to “compete” with another two years old product lol

Last edited:
AMD is unto them, Jebaited and now the upclocks, hence why NVidia must be shaking in their pants about big Navi, few leaks on big Navi and of course NV on a new node won't be as smooth as people expect.....Big Navi will be on 7nm+ already with 5-3nm RDNA 3.0 GPU's in the works.....AMD is setting up RTG just like they did Ryzen, first assault, second assault and the third assault is what will obliterate the competition...….People keep forgetting, that a huge core of the Ryzen team were deployed to RTG years ago to bring that same success that Ryzen enjoys to GPU's, that team is focused on architecture, IPC, efficiency and software and if RDNA is so fast with only 40 CU's, people better hold on to their hats......
Delusion is a helluva drug

base

Banned
Basically 5600XT uses the same core as 5700 so they could use the same clocks for 5600XT. Why is everyone so surprised? :)

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Its always fucking SOONtm with AMD 🤣

and yet they never deliver

thelastword

Banned
The 14nm RTX 2060 is due to be replaced by the 7nm RTX 3060 this year but it's nice to see that AMD is bringing the heat to compete with a old generation which is on the verge of replacement running on an old process node.
We don't know when exactly, don't know if there will be delays, and we don't know what it's performance will be like, we have an inkling with Big Navi, which points to it being here sooner than Ampere and of course Big NAVI has many sku's...….This is NV's first stab into 7nm, yet they bank on mature nodes......NV said a 50% uptick over Turing is what we should expect, yet we all know that's the best case scenario and won't be practical overall......We all know how much they boasted Turing, but yet the performance over Pascal was not as wide as many anticipated, if not very close; the 2060 vs the 1070ti, 1080 vs 2070 and 2080 vs 1080ti......You had to pay lots more on Turing vs Pascal to barely get better performance......And you had to pay a tonne of cash ($1200) to get 2080ti performance, which is about a +25% more performance in games over the 1080ti....

RTX? "since we like boasting about two years" is on how many titles after those 2 years? Nobody is losing their sleep over RTX in it's current form, low fps and low resolutions.....

This makes the 5700 worthless... and the RTX 2060 is STILL a better value with RTX, DLSS, VRS, Mesh Shaders, ect ect ect...

Try again AMD.
The 5700 is still 10% faster over a 5600XT and faster than a 2060, it can also be flashed to just shy of 5700XT performance...….Also, who still speaks and dares mention DLSS anymore? A name I haven't heard in a long time, which was boasted even more than RT, but look at them now.......VRS is in how many games at the moment? Perhaps just as many or even less than RTX games.......And Mesh shaders? like in the Asteroids demo, how many games support it.....and I'll tell you AMD pioneered Async Compute and lots of games are using that, even Nvidia had to get on board...........Mantle to Vulkan, Freesync, Radeon Chill, RIS, Radeon Anti Lag and Radeon Boost.....These are some revolutionary features that people should be excited about and that has shaped the industry...….Soon people will be seeing the strength of Radeon Rays and of course NV will need to react and one area they won't be able to react to is with AMD's Smartshift, where many people are going in on with an AMD GPU+CPU where smart technology on the silicon, boosts performance when you have all AMD hardware...….It's something I predicted a year plus ago, way before my Smartshift thread last night....

Of course, when Big Navi launches AMD can just scale down the prices a bit on all it's current hardware and do another Jebaition.......NV said Turing was a big die, it cost a tonne to produce, when they were just giving us 2016 mobile level hardware for RT, they priced all their cards at ridiculous prices saying it's justified (cause RTX), in quicktime, in response to AMD, they gave us Supers with better performance for much less money, now the 2060 that was a steal at $400 is now
$299 trying to compete with a NON RTX card, I wonder why......Just goes to show if you accept the fake show from NV, they will price gouge you forever.......Good thing is AMD has given many reasons to purchase their products, that's why Nvidia is so reactive......An AMD CPU+GPU combo offering extra performance is another metric many people will consider when building a PC, mindshare is now with AMD and NV knows it.......We are not affected, "NO RTX", AMD can't compete, reminds me of "Comical Ali" and his famous press briefing...…..Jensen suggested, he was not as pressed....

I just watched latest game benchmarks and it seems 5700XT is pretty much matching or beating 2070S. So I am not sure how much RTX effect or DLSS is worth, but I assume not alot.
You'll have to ask AMD later this year when they release new GPUs with accelerated RT hardware while the consoles manufacturers are also touting their RT support.. I'm sure AMD will start singing praises about how much it's worth it then, and you'll probably understand.

5700 series owners got duped. The 5700 series, much like the Radeon VII, was a stop-gap filler to appease Radeon fans and keep AMD in the conversation for a year until they could finalize and release actual next generation GPUs with forward looking features.

Ascend

You'll have to ask AMD later this year when they release new GPUs with accelerated RT hardware while the consoles manufacturers are also touting their RT support.. I'm sure AMD will start singing praises about how much it's worth it then, and you'll probably understand.

5700 series owners got duped. The 5700 series, much like the Radeon VII, was a stop-gap filler to appease Radeon fans and keep AMD in the conversation for a year until they could finalize and release actual next generation GPUs with forward looking features.
Not nearly as much as the people that overpaid with hundreds of dollars for RTX cards with barely any games for it.

Not nearly as much as the people that overpaid with hundreds of dollars for RTX cards with barely any games for it.
I beg to differ. After 1 year those people aren't going to have to run out and buy another GPU just to have the functionality. AMD releases the 5700 series over 6 months later and.... those people will have no choice but to upgrade if they want to even be a part of the conversation. "pie_tears_joy:

Last edited:
N
I beg to differ. After 1 year those people aren't going to have to run out and buy another GPU just to have the functionality. AMD releases the 5700 series over 6 months later and.... those people will have no choice but to upgrade if they want to even be a part of the conversation. "pie_tears_joy:
No choice to be part of the sub 60fps conversation? Fuck me sounds like a dictatorship.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

My God, so the 1080Ti was also a stop gap, over 20 years of stop gap HW until we could get to RayTracing!!! Truly :enlightening 😲.

Last edited:
My God, so the 1080Ti was also a stop gap, over 20 years of stop gap HW until we could get to RayTracing!!! Truly :enlightening 😲.
Radeon 7 was a card that was discontinued after less than 5 months....

The 5700 series are stop-gap RDNA products because AMD's RT tech wasn't ready, or simply wasn't able, to be revealed yet.. likely due to the consoles. People expected these cards to have RT support... and AMD knew that and were working on it. But AMD needed something out... so they released the 5700 series knowing full well that they were already generationally behind featureset-wise.

It's about expectations. After the release of the 20 Series RTX cards... it was clear that there would be 2 tiers of GPUs from then on. Those with hardware accelerated RT support, and those without. You can argue it all you want... but there's no going back. Anything AMD releases that doesn't have accelerated support for this fundamental change in rendering is a stop-gap because that's what the world expects from now on. The bar has been set... AMD is releasing what they can until they can meet that expectation.

Last edited:

Ascend

Radeon 7 was a card that was discontinued after less than 5 months....

The 5700 series are stop-gap RDNA products because AMD's RT tech wasn't ready, or simply wasn't able, to be revealed yet.. likely due to the consoles. People expected these cards to have RT support... and AMD knew that and were working on it. But AMD needed something out... so they released the 5700 series knowing full well that they were already generationally behind featureset-wise.

It's about expectations. After the release of the 20 Series RTX cards... it was clear that there would be 2 tiers of GPUs from then on. Those with hardware accelerated RT support, and those without. You can argue it all you want... but there's no going back. Anything AMD releases that doesn't have accelerated support for this fundamental change in rendering is a stop-gap because that's what the world expects from now on. The bar has been set... AMD is releasing what they can until they can meet that expectation.
There are literally a handful of games that use RTX to this day, just like Async Compute. But you were always awfully quiet about that one, weren't you? Did you say the same thing on Async Compute? No you didn't. Biased hypocrite.

There are literally a handful of games that use RTX to this day, just like Async Compute. But you were always awfully quiet about that one, weren't you? Did you say the same thing on Async Compute? No you didn't. Biased hypocrite.
That's a false equivalency. Async compute is NOT a fundamental change to the way graphics are rendered... it's a method of keeping the GPU as saturated as possible with work as a means to improve throughput. You bring up that they "are only used in a handful of games to this day" in an attempt to diminish the significant difference between them.. lmao...

That's why I didn't say anything about Async compute...

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
That's a false equivalency. Async compute is NOT a fundamental change to the way graphics are rendered... it's a method of keeping the GPU as saturated as possible with work as a means to improve throughput. You bring up that they "are only used in a handful of games to this day" in an attempt to diminish the significant difference between them.. lmao...

That's why I didn't say anything about Async compute...

Well, RT cores/RTX are a way to accelerate an HW implementation of parts of the ray tracing rendering pipeline... they “just” allow to keep the GPU as efficient as possible while shooting and bouncing “rays” across the scene. Async compite and compute shaders on the GPU allows you to move algorithms to the GPU you would not have found it practical to do before. Similar enough ;).

Well, RT cores/RTX are a way to accelerate an HW implementation of parts of the ray tracing rendering pipeline... they “just” allow to keep the GPU as efficient as possible while shooting and bouncing “rays” across the scene. Async compite and compute shaders on the GPU allows you to move algorithms to the GPU you would not have found it practical to do before. Similar enough ;).
Yea... RT cores accelerate a NEW pipeline...

When AMD can accelerate that new pipeline which fundamentally changes how visuals are rendered...let me know. :messenger_winking:

Last edited:

llien

I like how they quit BS marketing of Raja times and started rolling solid products unlike, oh wait, Raja times.

and yet they never deliver
Green bubble is called "green bubble" for a reason.

The 14nm RTX 2060 is due to be replaced by the 7nm RTX 3060
Haha, replaced, you said?
Remind me, why did 2060 cost $349, when 1060 it "replaced" was, uh,, $249?
Heck, 1660Ti was $279.

GamingKaiju

I’m not really into this fanboi shit but my experience with AMD gpu’s has always been poor. They run hot and consume more power of the wall. Hell I had a 7950 that ran that hot the PCB started to bow. The manufacturers must have known because they included a stand that supported the GPU this was after I returned the first faulty card. But it was poorly designed again because it was too short for my PC case and I ended up using a external HDD caddy give it the extra inch it needed.

Their CPU division is making good moves but I will never a AMD gpu again.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I like how they quit BS marketing of Raja times and started rolling solid products unlike, oh wait, Raja times.

Heck, 1660Ti was $279.
and yet the bubble remains as long as amd won't fight them in the high end.
i have zero fucking interest in their gpu's atm.
all they do is make empty promises and never deliver.

would love to see them do them as they did intel.

llien

Official release date for 5600 is 21th of Jan.

and yet the bubble remains as long as amd won't fight them in the high end.
No, it will simply remain.
Intel's much MUCH weaker blue bubble was enough for Prescott to wipe the floor with (superior on all fronts, from performance, to thermals and price) Athlon.

But, heck, why should anyone give a f*ck about people buying overpriced green cards? smirk.gif

Some dudes might occasionally discover that cheaper red card beats their overpriced green card and switch, but that kind of transition takes a very loooong time.
If Raja's fuck ups at AMD were indeed caused by lack of R&D resources, Intel and AMD might do things on the APU front that would render NV an outsider.

But oh well, if it doesn't.
AMD's pricing is very aggressive on CPU front, as Intel is far too dominant. (AMD started at 1% server market)
On GPU side of things, however, AMD has around 35% of the market and will inevitably expand into full product portfolio, covering high end.
That is pretty sustainable as is.
People buying overpriced green should be encouraged to continue doing so, chuckle.

Last edited:
Radeon Rays :p. It ain’t a newer pipeline than compute shaders.Ray tracing is nice, but the arrival of compute shaders is a fundamentally higher achievement.
:rolleyes:

See... you're here trying to argue with me about AMD's accomplishments vs Nvidia's... because you're on some fanboy shit right now.

What I'm talking about has nothing to do with WHO developed something.. Nvidia didn't invent ray tracing. Nvidia just happened to released the first GPU with dedicated hardware to accelerate the pipeline. It doesn't matter who would have brought it to market first, it's about the fact there's now a very clear "before" and "after" segmentation to GPU hardware now. You either have it, or you don't. It's the same for any fundamental hardware acceleration... regardless of who created it. We already know AMD is heading in the same direction.. we know it's the future, they're just currently behind.

AMD fans who bought a 5700 series GPU don't have it, and if they do want it.. they'll be shelling out for another GPU.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

See... you're here trying to argue with me about AMD's accomplishments vs Nvidia's... because you're on some fanboy shit right now.

What I'm talking about has nothing to do with WHO developed something.. Nvidia didn't invent ray tracing. Nvidia just happened to released the first GPU with dedicated hardware to accelerate the pipeline. It doesn't matter who would have brought it to market first, it's about the fact there's now a very clear "before" and "after" segmentation to GPU hardware now. You either have it, or you don't. It's the same for any fundamental hardware acceleration... regardless of who created it. We already know AMD is heading in the same direction.. we know it's the future, they're just currently behind.

AMD fans who bought a 5700 series GPU don't have it, and if they do want it.. they'll be shelling out for another GPU.

Oh yeah, aggressive rant, jumping to conclusions, and calling other names... joy :rolleyes: .
Now on the straw man that I said something about who invented and what.

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

Ray tracing makes you spooge. We get it. It is cool tech, but very early days.
Anyone with a 1660Ti or lower is also in the same boat. As am I with my 1080Ti but I can still run the demos, if I really want to... just not at an acceptable level of performance to bring it from "demo" back up to "game" again.
We have very little idea about AMD's ray tracing implementation, and even less about what fallback rendering options might be available for previous cards and to what degree the historically compute heavy architectures might be leveraged.
You might remember that AMD was first with DX11 & tessellation support? Things change, and within a few years it was AMD that had to catch up on tessellation.
First out the gate counts, but there is still the race to come.
To be clear, I expect Nvidia to provide a really big upgrade to RT performance in the 3000 series and lesser gains for raster, but your post is so premature.

You're swooning over first gen RT parts here. Everyone is going to need new cards for raytracing at 4K. And no, DLSS reconstruction upscaling is not gonna cut it.

GreatnessRD

It appears this 1060 3GB gonna last a little longer in my system. I can't wait till July or so when we get the 3000 series and hopefully, AMD's Big Navi monster. This is gonna be a great year for PC folk I believe.

SantaC

Heck, 1660Ti was $279.
Raja was awful and he will sink Intel.

Ray tracing makes you spooge. We get it. It is cool tech, but very early days.

You're swooning over first gen RT parts here. Everyone is going to need new cards for raytracing at 4K. And no, DLSS reconstruction upscaling is not gonna cut it.
Not sure why you say that I'm splooging over it. I'm simply speaking from the fact that we know it's the future of real-time graphics, and we know how important it will be to accelerate it...

I love how you downplay the technology because (it's not currently in your GPU of choice) it's a "first gen RT card" and people "will have to upgrade anyway" to RT at 4K... like as if that is anything but an arbitrary self-imposed target you personally want to hit. Guess what? People have to buy new cards to play at higher resolutions and faster framerates even without RT!!!! And you immediately handwave the notion of using reconstruction techniques to hit those self-imposed targets too... You wont accept anything other than true native 4K!

When companies release new technologies to the world.. let's take 4K TVs for example.. they were expensive, and weren't very well supported with content to take advantage of them. So are those companies which create and push technology not supposed to create them because they are "first generation" and wont be as good as the future TVs that would come after? lmao... I think you see where I'm going with this...

There's a necessary process that hardware technology has to go through to become viable.. you have to release a product to get the ball rolling. The tech itself IS exciting.. because it's the future. You don't have to be excited about it right now, but that doesn't change the fact that much like 4K TVs now...we're not going back to old 1080p TVs. While people will continue to play games at varying resolutions for performance reasons.. the GPU hardware line has been crossed.. and accelerating RT will be something we don't come back from.

Last edited:

TaroYamada

And none of it will matter if Navi drivers aren't fixed.

Ascend

Same applies for anyone that bought an RTX 2060, because it's too slow to use it in any practical gaming scenario, and it also applies for anyone that bought anything cheaper than an RTX 2060.

You calling out others on fanboyism is hilariously ironic.

Same applies for anyone that bought an RTX 2060, because it's too slow to use it in any practical gaming scenario, and it also applies for anyone that bought anything cheaper than an RTX 2060.

You calling out others on fanboyism is hilariously ironic.
1080p isn't a practical gaming scenario? Give me a break...

And no... refuting points that AMD fanboys make does not make me an Nvidia fanboy.

llien

It seems AMD intentionally lowered engineering spec, waited for NV to react, then bumped it up. (10 watts is nothing)
(12 => 14gps jump of Ram is particularly peculiar)

And, heck, this is basically 5700 die for $279, yields must be good at TSMC.

Last edited:

Ascend

It seems AMD intentionally lowered engineering lower spec, waited for NV to react, then bumped it up. (10 watts is nothing)

And, heck, this is basically 5700 die for $279, yields must be good at TSMC.
Makes me wonder if the 5500XT doesn't have more juice, but they simply didn't change anything because nVidia didn't really react.

Top Bottom