• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Preparing 2nd Generation Navi GPUs Based On 7nm+, Navi 21, 22 and 23 Spotted In Linux Driver Update

thelastword

Banned
AMD has made its comeback in the CPU side of things and it is now time for the company to turn its attention back to the segment that was once its bread and butter: Radeon. As I stated almost 1.5 years ago, you should not expect a high-end GPU before 2020. Well, guess what, 2020 is almost here and with it comes to the first leak of AMD's 2nd Generation NAVI GPUS: Navi 21, 22 and 23. Needless to say, we have very little to go on with regards to the exact parts at this point and it is unclear whether AMD merged the GPU formerly known as Navi 20 into one of these three or that remains in the pipeline.

AMD working on powerful new Radeon GPUs - do these contain some TITAN killers?

AMD's second-generation Navi series will likely utilize Next-Generation RDNA (RDNA 2 in all likelihood) and will be manufactured on the improved 7nm+ node. This is the point where AMD's process advantage will really start to hurt Nvidia and the time where we expect them to shift to 7nm as well with Ampere. Considering the leaks for that have already started as well, late-2020 seems like the year where we will see the PC market return to its former glory and possibly hit new heights.

Before we go any further, let's go over the actual leak. Mention of Navi 21, 22 and 23 were made in upcoming Linux drivers - which are opensource and usually a very reliable leaky point in the AMD pipeline. This was first spotted by user Berniyh on 3DCenter forums. Mention of Navi 22 and 23 can be found over here while you can read about Navi 21 over here. So far, the nomenclature AMD has been following usually indicates that the lower the second numeric, the more powerful the chip. This means if AMD sticks to tradition, Navi 21 is the most powerful out of all of these although there is a small caveat with this statement. Navi 21 wasn't the chip that was spotted in the Linux Changelog. It was Navi 21 Lite.

Here's the deal though. As per my information that dates back almost a year and half, the chip you want to actually look out for is Navi 20. It is unclear whether AMD scrapped that and renamed it to one of these three or whether it's still in the pipeline. If it has not been scrapped then these three GPUs are just going to be the starting acts that will warm up the stage for the actual event: the Navi 20 GPU. If this is not the case and one of these is the GPU formerly known as Navi 20, then that is just as good, because it would mean AMD is making excellent time on getting to RDNA Next-Gen/RDNA 2 based parts.

While there is no word on release dates right now, these things do not enter into the driver code until very later in the game when pretty much all of the design stages have finished. This would mean that AMD is at most, 6 months away from launching these parts, Computex 2020 might be the most realistic launch date although AMD could potentially surprise all of us by launching these at CES 2020 (unlikely in my personal opinion, unless these are mid-range cards). One thing is for sure though: 2020 is going to be a great time to be a PC gamer.

amd-navi-22-and-navi-23.png

navi-21.png

https://wccftech.com/amd-preparing-...2-and-navi-23-spotted-in-linux-driver-update/
--------------------------------------------

I remember telling folk in the next gen speculation threads that PS5 would be based on 7nm+ and so will the Ryzen CPU...….Why would Sony not use this more powerful and more efficient node...…..These current PC chips are no more than 6 months away at the most.......That gives them a possible 6 months release date ahead of PS5....It's even possible that PS5 will have features from the GPU design after RDNA 2, just like PRO had Vega Features before Vega debuted......…Sure, it's possible that the PC release can be delayed to coincide with the consoles, but the wares are definitely in the pipeline and there, nothing wrong with a little more jebaiting (Talks of 2080ti Super is now ringing innit!).........I think AMD is poised to take pole position in all GPU tiers.....…In the meantime, I await big RDNA 1/ NAVI 1 (aka.. Navi 12, 5800XT)…....

Thing is when AMD said they're preparing an Nvidia killer, people thought they were talking about 2080ti, I don't think so, beating 2080ti is not so big or farfetched, people just want a card that beats 2080ti at a lower price and we all know Navi is fast enough to do that in it's sleep with a few more CU's, heightened clocks, faster/higher bandwidth memory.....aka bigger chip. I think they will match or beat the 2080ti or 2080ti super with 5800XT, but their Nvidia killer is what they will launch late in 2020 or early 2021.......Their Nvidia killer is aimed at AMPERE....That's why Lisa Su said they are now concentrating in architecture and getting RDNA as fast as possible.....Hence, they are also focusing on VRS, drivers, and teaming with MS to deliver Raytracing to their current lineup through software, improvements to DXR has already seen gains of +20%m that will bode well for compute heavy cards.......These next few months should be very interesting in the lead to CES, that's for sure.....

Having AMD around to compete with Nvidia is a VERY good thing, I just wish they would do a better job.

Whatever AMD is working on I have little doubt that Nvidia will release something that crushes it LONG before AMD finally manage to actually release something. AMD is still 1-2 years behind Nvidia.

Currently Nvidia is comfortably dominating AMD while AMD has a node advantage. What happens when Nvidia releases their 3000 line and at 7nm.

PhoenixTank

Thought this thread seemed familiar:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I remember forums way back where forum users (who think they are experts) claimed we'd never see any chips smaller than 14 or 20nm.

"Way too small guys". "It gets to a point of diminishing returns and physics etc...."

And here we are at 7nm? Sounds good.

thelastword

Banned
I remember forums way back where forum users (who think they are experts) claimed we'd never see any chips smaller than 14 or 20nm.

"Way too small guys". "It gets to a point of diminishing returns and physics etc...."

And here we are at 7nm? Sounds good.
5nm is already being tested and gearing up for production in 2021.....3nm fab production is already underway, gearing up for 2023 production......2nm is being R&D'd currently and 1nm sound like it will be very interesting and engineers are already doing some great work in the labs towards that end....

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/tsmc-fab-3nm-5nm-process-intel-samsung

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/66264/tsmc-announces-work-begun-next-gen-2nm-node/index.html

https://semiengineering.com/powerperformance-bits-oct-11/

Top Bottom