• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD 4700S CPU Reviewed: Defective PS5 Chips Find New Life

MikeM

This doesn't mean anything to me. Especially considering that I play Doom Eternal and many other games at 120fps on both consoles.

Meme GIF by ALL SEEING EYES

Lysandros

It seems everyone forgot about this post, it's from the principal software engineer of PS5 (guess at which machine whose CPU is 110 MHz higher he is alluding to)... Also look at the later post, there is a clear hint of hardware customization to reduce inter-fabric latencies, that is just not 1 ccx (we know that now), it's something else.

Edit: On the same subject, look how the two XSX CPU core/cache clusters are apart from each other.
zweMtc3.jpg

Now look at the PS5 ones tightly packed to the left, the two 'glued' together.

cV7A2L6.jpg

As far as i know, the law saying 'further the components are apart higher the latency' should still apply here..

Last edited:

It seems everyone forgot about this post, it's from the principal software engineer of PS5 (guess at which machine whose CPU is 110 MHz higher he is alluding to)... Also look at the later post, there is a clear hint of hardware customization to reduce inter-fabric latencies, that is just not 1 ccx (we know that now), it's something else.

Do you think if comparisons we're actually made, in parity, would that help out? For instance XBSX always has higher resolution, but a could more dips in framerates.

If ps5 aimed for the same resolution, would this still stand true? Or would ps5 pull ahead with both being at a lower resolution? Wish this stuff could be easily tested

A hippo is much stronger than a cheetah, but doesn't mean it's as agile.

Excited Tail GIF by BBC Earth

They are cute animals!
giphy.gif

And look who's scared now!
3095299A00000578-3417038-image-m-5_1453801858250.jpg

So obviously, I want my Ferrari steering wheel and ... well I already have my Ryzen 5800x

What are we arguing about again?

Oh that APU, I don't think you can really compare it to an actual Ryzen CPU this way (given what others have revealed in the thread), but it would have been interesting.

As for the features that were removed from the CPU for the PS5, they taken out to reach a price/performance/heat target, it's neither good or bad in and of itself... the PS5 itself handles what it's supposed to pretty well... The PC part is abysmal, which is sad because I would have liked to have a PC in my Livingroom that was a PS5 in a different box, I would have slapped a "PS5 sticker" on the box and it would have been a nice conversation starter.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
There's a thread about future proofing the PC in the light of new consoles and their CPUs, and I think it's safe to say those benchmarks show well enought that even a 6-core Ryzen 5 is slightly better than this console CPU, and that's even before "disabling" one of the cores entirely for the OS and while running at higher clocks on top of that. So I take it as a good news, because I'm not a fan of frequent CPU upgrades, better to put that money into GPU where all the heavy work is done.

Its 2021 and people haven't realized that a console is far more efficient than a PC. Use this CPU in a PC with a GPU close to PS5 spec and you won't even come close to actual PS5 performance.

It's 2021 and people haven't realized that a console is nothing but a closed-spec PC nowadays... Just type in "Ryzen 5 + 6600XT" on YT which is more or less the equivalent of PS5 and you'll end up with countless proofs how consoles aren't more efficient at all. 30FPS was never any sort of achievement, nor is 1200-1400p by todays standards, and with time there will only be more and more sacrifices in terms of resolution/framerate in favor of prettier visuals, as always.

ParaSeoul

There's a thread about future proofing the PC in the light of new consoles and their CPUs, and I think it's safe to say those benchmarks show well enought that even a 6-core Ryzen 5 is slightly better than this console CPU, and that's even before "disabling" one of the cores entirely for the OS and while running at higher clocks on top of that. So I take it as a good news, because I'm not a fan of frequent CPU upgrades, better to put that money into GPU where all the heavy work is done.

It's 2021 and people haven't realized that a console is nothing but a closed-spec PC nowadays... Just type in "Ryzen 5 + 6600XT" on YT which is more or less the equivalent of PS5 and you'll end up with countless proofs how consoles aren't more efficient at all. 30FPS was never any sort of achievement, nor is 1200-1400p by todays standards, and with time there will only be more and more sacrifices in terms of resolution/framerate in favor of prettier visuals, as always.
Bored Blah Blah Blah GIF

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

Edit: On the same subject, look how the two XSX CPU core/cache clusters are apart from each other.
zweMtc3.jpg

Now look at the PS5 ones tightly packed to the left, the two 'glued' together.

cV7A2L6.jpg

As far as i know, the law saying 'further the components are apart higher the latency' should still apply here..

In NS (nanosecond) range definitely, but this is not in question within those tweets, it's rather CPU <> RAM latency, which is the issue. Also unified everything is not always the best solution, as we are seeing console performs tasks, which are essential on PC side, even with much lower end HW, then what is in the last get consoles. And that it's AFx16 and suffice to say that Sony this gen have higher chance of hitting AFx16 in the titles, than Xbox, as to why it is, I don't know, because I am dev. So I can only guess, which I don't want at this evening time.

lukilladog

From the cpu benchmark you can see it is a very good cpu, the gaming benchmark just exposes a bottleneck on the pcie bus for this specific implementation. Maybe they didn´t want to make Sony angry.

Top Bottom