• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon will launch thousands of satellites to provide internet around the world

CyberPanda

Banned
"Amazon plans to launch a constellation of 3,236 satellites into low Earth orbit in order to provide internet to “unserved and underserved communities around the world."

"Amazon is the latest in a string of companies with plans to use a network of thousands of satellites to offer broadband around the world. Unlike traditional satellite internet, these plans involve the use of satellites in low Earth orbit, which can be operated cheaply and with lower latencies. SpaceX has plans to launch as many as 12,000 satellites as part of its Starlink constellation, OneWeb wants to launch 650 satellites, and Facebook is also developing an internet satellite of its own."

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/4/1...rnet-low-earth-orbit-facebook-spacex-starlink

Last edited:
Just when I thought things couldn't get any more Orwellian :messenger_neutral::messenger_neutral:

So much space junk!

I forgot if it was Warhammer 40k or whatever but wasn't there a series about how ships couldn't break earths orbit because space junk acted as a revolving prison shield? Or was that a TNG thing in Nemesis when warp drive got invented? Maybe it was Wall-E lol, didn't one of the ark ships get destroyed by space junk breaking orbit?

Grinchy

Banned
Give internet to those who need it because then they can use the internet to order staplers with 2 hour delivery.

This sounds like a bunch of microsats. They have limited power output due to the absolute size of their onboard energy storage, meaning fairly modest signal strengths and bandwidths. Maybe 1-4mbit speeds at best. This is purely a giant corporate spy net, as it will be primarily used by cellphone users. Listening in on conversations, tracking location, siphoning personal data from phone accounts, etc. All something Amazon would love to do.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Sounds like SpaceX's Starlink, I think it's a great idea

Just when I thought things couldn't get any more Orwellian :messenger_neutral::messenger_neutral:

I forgot if it was Warhammer 40k or whatever but wasn't there a series about how ships couldn't break earths orbit because space junk acted as a revolving prison shield? Or was that a TNG thing in Nemesis when warp drive got invented? Maybe it was Wall-E lol, didn't one of the ark ships get destroyed by space junk breaking orbit?
Well, I guess it’s back to land line telephones and newspapers for all of humanity 😄

DiscoJer

I've got Hughesnet. The latency from my PC to satellite and back is actually better than the network congestion. I can get pings like 600 ms when there's no traffic, but it's like twice that when there is. Not saying 600 ms is great, but it's bearable

llien

Which part of the planet are they targeting?
Last time I was in a relatively poor country, India, they had 4G coverage with 1.5Gb per day limit for about 2 Euros.

Lanrutcon

Which part of the planet are they targeting?
Last time I was in a relatively poor country, India, they had 4G coverage with 1.5Gb per day limit for about 2 Euros.

India is a goddamn utopia compared to large parts of Africa, my man.

E-Cat

Bezos is like a James Bond villain
He even looks like it.

7af0dc69744c789e.jpg

Last edited:

betrayal

Banned
Satisfying the needs of citizen while at the same time gathering lots of data is a great way getting your foot into the governments and hearts of people for future influence.

Last edited:

silentstalker

Neo Member
I don't know about this. Internet service providers in a country still depends on their own policies. Even if the Amazon satellite is in place, if the internet service providers do not use them, they still cannot be usable on those areas.

But maybe, they could serve as a cheaper alternative to the current satellite services used by the local internet providers. If that is the case then that is the time that this project will be of actual help.

Top Bottom