• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Prime Fallout: First look revealed

clarky

Gold Member
The boys is woke as hell, bearable because everything else is up to par, violence, effects, etc... but wokeness is there...
I just watched a guy shrink himself to go inside another dudes penis to give a weird inside out blowjob, then sneeze and go back to regular size whilst still inside said penis, body parts all over the room.......Then get caught at miniature size and get shoved inside a small bag of coke and OD.

Woke?

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

Season 9 Idk GIF by The Office

Roberts

I don't watch TV series anymore (except for stuff like Vice Principals once in a few years) but I kind of want to see this. They nailed the tone of the Bethesda Fallouts without being a carbon copy.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
This is gonna be good. I trust Walton Goggins and original Fallout material on this one.

It's interesting how Todd Howard acts like he is the creator of the Fallout world. I'd feel embarrassed if I were him. It's like J.J. Abrams being marketed as the creator of Star Wars.

Roberts

This is gonna be good. I trust Walton Goggins and original Fallout material on this one.

It's interesting how Todd Howard acts like he is the creator of the Fallout world. I'd feel embarrassed if I were him. It's like J.J. Abrams being marketed as the creator of Star Wars.
How does he act? Because he is credited in the trailer as a video game creator?

First of all, he is an exec producer on the show and a video game creator so the credit doesn't lie. Second, under his leadership, Fallout has found that specific identity that it still maintains and that is evident in the adaptation here.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I'm not a 1/2 elitist, and I got a lot of enjoyment out of 3/NV/4. But watching this does nothing for me. Power armour and Yao Guai, great.

I think the magic of Fallout is experiencing the world for yourself and making choices in a long-form adventure. None of those things will be replicated, so all you have left if CGI and for whatever reason a cyclops overseer that keeps a mouldy drink on his desk with the fresh drink.

I get the feeling that it's going to be mediocre comedy and action with a Fallout setting. But I hope I'm proved wrong.

old-parts

A little hope still burns in me looking at those involved and the trailer seems alright.

A lot depends on the writing and were they go with the story, I actually hope its not the Enclave (again) and they do something else.

Roberts

Yeah, wow. You still didn't answer my question.

Also, I am not saying OG Fallout games didn't have an identity before. It had it in spades and I remember loving them, but Bethesda games reshaped it into something very specific and that is carried over to this trailer.

Like it or not, but Fallout is a Howard's baby now even if he didn't invent it. Speaking of identities, it is actually kind of like second and third Bourne movie. Most movie buffs now associate the franchise with Paul Greengrass.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll

Also, I am not saying OG Fallout games didn't have an identity before. It had it in spades and I remember loving them, but Bethesda games reshaped it into something very specific and that is carried over to this trailer.

Like it or not, but Fallout is a Howard's baby now even if he didn't invent it. Speaking of identities, it is actually kind of like second and third Bourne movie. Most movie buffs now associate the franchise with Paul Greengrass.

The only thing Todd and his team did was turning Fallout into a 3D Skyrim. The series' story and tone were already established in the first two games. It's not Todd's baby. It's an adopted child seeking it's biological parents after suffering mistreatment while growing up.

/so edgy atm.

StueyDuck

I don't think the show needs to be super serious but I do agree it needs to take itself fairly seriously.

If they just try make it borderlands edge lord cringe humor (it has some people behind the boys working on it so that doesn't bode well) then it's going to be a hot mess of a show.

I think the vibe it needs to nail is straight shooter with dry, smart humor. If it's crass like a cowboy skeleton man screaming yeeehaw as he stick dead mens severed penis' in his ears to block the sound of a nuke and then gives the screen a thumbs up then I'm out

StereoVsn

It's funny, I hope the exact opposite of this. Fallout doesn't take itself too seriously, and that's it's greatest strength in my opinion. If people want overly serious post apocalyptic shit, The Last of Us is there, Fallout should be silly as Hell like it's always been.
It depends which Fallout we are talking about. Fallout 1 was a pretty serious story. Yea, there was some humor but it was fairly low key. Fallout 2 kind of went full ham in places.

Fallout 3 had some humorous parts but again was fairly serious… just not well written. Fallout NV was very well written but again was nowhere near a comedy.

Then we have Fallout 4 which was a disaster from writing perspective. And we have Fallout 76…

So really the only Fallout that went full ham on humor, but was still pretty dark despite that, was Fallout 2.

I kind of want to see the mix of both serious subject matter as well as Fallout hijinks. I just don’t trust Amazon to do it considering their previous attempts with Rings of Power and Wheel of Time.

StereoVsn

If we can expect Bethesda “quality” writing then I am out. The only one remotely interesting from that aspect was Morrowind. And of course New Vegas, but that’s not Bethesda.

Stafford

Well fucking then....😑

I look forward to a time where I can just look forward to something without some additional news that honestly lowers my hype for it.

The key to Fallout's humor has always be the trope of the straight man in an absurd world. The setting should take itself seriously, therein lies the humor when you have wacky shit like the USA culturally stagnating for 125 years in the 50's Atomic Age aesthetic.

Top Bottom