• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Games kills its ambitious shooter Crucible after only five months

"In a Friday post titled "Final Crucible developer update," the game's devs placed the blame on two factors: "the feedback we’ve heard from you, paired with the data we’ve collected." But the letter doesn't explain what that data spelled out—which was likely scant data, gathered from whatever miniscule playerbase remained after the Steam delisting. We'd been keeping an eye on Crucible's Steam updates and saw the developers continue to post detailed patch notes, which we thought might be paid forward by an official "relaunch" at a later date.

"Weirdly, Amazon Games has promised to continue patching and touching up the game in its 30-day end-of-life period before shutting down development and "transitioning" its staff to the upcoming MMORPG New World (which received its own delay from this fall into 2021) and "other upcoming projects." Once the game's matchmaking service is shut down on November 9, its client will continue to support "custom" peer-to-peer matchmaking—which we seriously appreciate at Ars, as opposed to making a game die with its servers—and the staff will host a last-hurrah matchmaking frenzy with fans before that November 9 date.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I forgot this existed. IMHO, there wasn’t a big enough marketing campaign for this. Not AAA level at least. Most of these games are the same, the most popular on social media tends to win.

MrS

Banned
tenor.gif

Compsiox

Banned
This is because they're trying to make games for streamers. Their esports title failed as well. They need to stop trying to pander so hard. They're trying to force success.

If their MMO fails too I think there will be some sort of restructuring within their game studios.

Last edited:

Holammer

Wrote this YT comment for the game back in may.
In my opinion, my internet expert opinion, this game will be a failure. There are no or few conventionally beautiful or sexy characters innit, most of them just look dour or angry, it needs the right fuel-to-air ratio of perky waifu & husbandos with the ugly monsters. Current year considerations for body positivity and representation will kneecap the game right out of the gate with such unappealing designs.

Doubtless it had more problems than that. But I think it's a factor.

This is because they're trying to make games for streamers. Their esports title failed as well. They need to stop trying to pander so hard. They're trying to force success.

If their MMO fails too I think there will be some sort of restructuring within their game studios.

Isn't New World pretty much confirmed as a failure already? That trainwreck has been chugging along for years with no discernible progress.

It's not like $ is Amazon's problem, they must have something f'ed up about their internal culture.

reinking

Gold Member
Wonder if they are going to see that it is much easier and faster to start buying up publishers/studios..

Halo0629

Tried this game on steam a few months back and it isn't really fun. Game feels more like a numbers game rather than actual skill or strategy. It's also chaotic, like fall guys but without the fun.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Making a game based off trends when you’re relatively new to the scene has never proven to be a good idea. I never saw the potential in them having a game studio. IMO I’d much rather see Amazon publish games instead of make them.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Didn't they cancel this once already? I feel like I've seen this story from them before.

Last edited:

LordCBH

Another example of why it’s dumb to chase the multiplayer fad and money. The market is so saturated that the odds of success are low.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
You mean they should buy a few studios like Bethesda?
Right. They are good at storage (Amazon marketplace) and data (AWS). They do a good job at selling brands that aren’t exactly theirs. I don’t see them writing books or filming movies. What they can do is be the big brother or Publisher for other developers. Even if that’s throwing a couple billion at well known developers.

I for one don’t like this scene of Streamer culture. It’s for a completely different crowd. It doesn’t excite me nor do I see the potential in it. I see people with ideas making games based off trends and it’s boring if you ask me. Spending a couple million and hoping Twitch people pick up on it is lame to me. That’s beside the point.

Every time these new ideas of multiplayer craziness come out, none of them stand out like “wow that’s amazing”. I’m thinking “who are they going to fool into spending countless hours on this”.

Last edited:
My gut says quite a few people will leave Amazon and move on to better things. They poached quite a bit of talent with next to nothing to show for it.

Top Bottom