• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I the asshole for not backing up my mom?

bender

What time is it?
Ironically if OP would have just said lol women he would have gotten a hi-5 but oh no Karen is going too far. HOW DARE HE?

Idk adults communicate by talking not signals or gestures/suggestions mom was literally being quite immature over a non issue.

You may be taking this a tad too seriously.

Humans communicate with a lot more than just words.

Raven117

Ironically if OP would have just said lol women he would have gotten a hi-5 but oh no Karen is going too far. HOW DARE HE?

Idk adults communicate by talking not signals or gestures/suggestions mom was literally being quite immature over a non issue.

This guy fucks.
Karen carries with it a different connotation. Grinchy is the one dropping truth bombs.

Don't try to fix it or argue it. Accept that this is how it is done sometimes and apply the water buffalo strategy...just stay very still until the moment passes.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
You may be taking this a tad too seriously.
I'm not calling people dildos so you know I'm not serious.
Humans communicate with a lot more than just words.
Right cavemen communicated with grunts as well if only we could just have some kind of language to better communicate? Oh wait we do!

(I'm actually sad catbox img hosting embeds were disabled. :( )

bender

What time is it?
I'm not calling people dildos so you know I'm not serious.

Right cavemen communicated with grunts as well if only we could just have some kind of language to better communicate? Oh wait we do!

(I'm actually sad catbox img hosting embeds were disabled. :( )

I know you are serious because of how upset you are about other people's "outrage" of being called a Karen. Spoiler: no one gives a fuck.

A lot more goes into commination than uttering words. See: Facial gestures, posture, hand/arm gesticulation, etc.

And words aren't always the best form of communication. For example: having a conversation with your mother and using the flavor of the month pejorative slang to try and get your point across.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I know you are serious because of how upset you are about other people's "outrage" of being called a Karen. Spoiler: no one gives a fuck.
It's like you don't even know me (neat) but you are actually seething rn. Kinda sad.

A lot more goes into commination than uttering words. See: Facial gestures, posture, hand/arm gesticulation, etc.
Oh wow you took it seriously.
And words aren't always the best form of communication.
If you are 5 sure.
For example: having a conversation with your mother and using the flavor of the month pejorative slang to try and get your point across.
225px-Mother%27s_Day_Card.jpg

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Here's what I interpret...

Mom wanted to vent to OP in hopes he would sympathize with her and talk to his sister. This would be in hopes that she would change her ways and think about what her mother is going through, and, offer to help (for a change?). Obviously, things didn't go that way.

OP instead sounded like a detached entity who decided to tell his mother that she needed to properly communicate with her daughter instead of venting to her son (who we didn't know initially didn't live anywhere near home for a very very long time, which is also irrelevant to the conversation since mom didn't ask for his help). This comes off as unsupportive in general and crass when he brings up the Karen comment. I can say without a doubt that what you said to your mother would push her away. If you want that, keep saying things like you have, and also never apologize for what you said.

It's OK to mention that you think it may be a good idea for your mother to tell your sister exactly what she told you in hopes her daughter would understand. That's constructive criticism.
For example, if you said almost exactly what you said, but worded it: "Mom, I understand where you're coming from. Clearly she isn't taking into consideration what you're going through. Maybe it would be helpful for you to tell her exactly what you told me." You could also offer to talk to your sister as well, and include, however, that it may be more effective coming directly from her.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
lol my mom got over it pretty quick. She was returning my calls about two weeks later.

For what it's worth, my mom has always been like that. She expects you to read her mind. She's very firm on the "I shouldn't have to tell you" stance in all ways. It's always been frustrated

lol my mom got over it pretty quick. She was returning my calls about two weeks later.

For what it's worth, my mom has always been like that. She expects you to read her mind. She's very firm on the "I shouldn't have to tell you" stance in all ways. It's always been frustrated
The problem lies with you and your sister being so selfish and spoiled you can't tell when someone might need help or even bothered to offer lol especially a family member being in physical pain/discomfort. Nothing to do with mind reading - just you as a family member not being oblivious and having some compassion and decency to offer helping a parent.

Zato

Banned
Calling your Mum a Karen, for calling out your sister for helping someone before helping her Mum.

Lol, so much of this younger generation fucking sucks!

Top Bottom