• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Altered Carbon Canceled By Netflix

jonnyp

MrS MrS you realise this is your fault right?

Not surprising after that shitfest of a second season.

MrS

Banned
8hUhQJj.jpg

Grinchy

Banned
I got through season 1 and enjoyed a handful of aspects. I just don't really get into the "anthology series" idea for shows and never attempted to check out season 2. Sounds like I'm not alone.

JLMC469

Banned
Most Netflix series don’t last that much. I guess they don’t want to pay the actors more when they start becoming famous.

Last edited:

Hari Seldon

Season 2 was pretty bad. Definitely the right move to kill it off. Mackie was awful, the writing was bad, got rid of all the nudity which made a ton of sense in a show about how depraved people are when they have disposable sleeves. I don’t know what happened.

Valonquar

The 2nd season was terrible fan fiction compared to the 1st season. Way too much change of character for most of the cast personalities. Between that and the trash tier anime, not really sad to see it die.

Fbh

So was the CGI anime trash as well or nah? Just wondering.

I didn't think it was terrible, I actually like it more than S2.
But it wasn't good either and it also felt completely unrelated to everything. If you changed some character names and a few minor plot point you probably wouldn't even guess it was supposed to be Altered Carbon.

Last edited:

sol_bad

You go from a great season one to diversity hire season two bullshit and killed a great show. No worries, we got Cuties, guys!

I haven't seen season 2 yet, probably won't watch it now. But you mean just the main character was a diversity hire?

*EDIT*
Everyone saying that season 2 is terrible is making me want to watch it.
lol

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I was just starting to get into this show, but if it ends on a cliffhanger and has no satisfying ending, I’m out.

Every season should be written like it’s the last (IMO) instead of these big cliffhangers they expect us to wait months for, that rarely pay off.

Last edited:

LoV

Banned
I haven't seen season 2 yet, probably won't watch it now. But you mean just the main character was a diversity hire?

*EDIT*
Everyone saying that season 2 is terrible is making me want to watch it.
lol
You won't last an episode.

Season 1 was great. It wasn't perfect but it had that "something" that made it stand out from other shows. That being said, Falcon as the main guy in Season 2 was a horrible decision. What a horrible way to end the show.

TheContact

s01 was good, s02 was miserable

exactly my thoughts. I think the nature of the sleeves is asking too much of your audience to get fully commited into an actor and the next season have it look like someone else but supposed to be the same person. It was just weird. I can see it working in a novel but not a tv series. The writing was a lot worse too.

Tesseract

Banned
exactly my thoughts. I think the nature of the sleeves is asking too much of your audience to get fully commited into an actor and the next season have it look like someone else but supposed to be the same person. It was just weird. I can see it working in a novel but not a tv series. The writing was a lot worse too.
similar feeling, had concerns about it jumping to another medium for this reason

not sure there's a solution since personality capture and emulation is so difficult

Barrage

That's always a tough spot with Anthologies- the urgency isn't necessarily there to keep up with the new season, as it is in many ways a new show. When you combine that with the clearly high budget of Altered Carbon, if viewership AND viewer enjoyment dropped i'm not surprised it got cancelled.

I only watched Season 1, and I thought it was OK- I didn't feel like I needed any more. I agree with a previous poster about the world-building regarding the depravity of the immortal and rich being the most interesting part. I was really bummed about
the Sister being killed in the final episode- I thought she wouldve been a great consistent villian.

Also, since i'm back on Neogaf I can fully embrace my prevy side and say- Ortega's body was fucking insane. Holy shit.

T.v

Season one was flawed but left me wanting more. Couldn't make it past two episodes in the second season. It had nothing of the look and feel that made season one great, the action was laughably bad, and Mackie made Kinnaman look like an Oscar worthy actor by comparison.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I couldn't get past a few episodes. Found the mc to be unlikable.
Me as well. Didn't care about the main character, it was too slow, they didn't do anything to offset the slowness like have action segments, and it was scifi based on a gimmick that never seemed to do anything with the gimmick.

I got the impression season 2 was going woke (main character was black and less nudity). I didnt watch it.
I didnt like season 1 that much either. It was okay-ish, but none of the characters were very interesting.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Hm at people not liking kinnamans performance, personally i loved it.

I really wanted to like season 2, but it was a shitfest casting and storywise.
Yeah I liked Kinnamans performance, he is a bit wooden, but he sold the don't give a fuck attitude, and he can really sell any line with the word 'fuck' in it. That's why Mackie didn't work for me, you just couldn't imagine him being the same guy who would buy a kids backpack full of illegal drugs and then go on a massive bender.

Top Bottom