• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Altered Carbon Canceled By Netflix

bitbydeath

MrS MrS you realise this is your fault right?

Netflix has canceled the body-swapping sci-fi series “Altered Carbon” after two seasons. Thise first two seasons remain available to stream.

The decision reportedly was unrelated to the pandemic, but rather the cost of producing another season vs. the viewership numbers not being high enough to justify it.

MrS

Banned
MrS MrS you realise this is your fault right?

Fuck sake. Might have to cancel my sub out of spite.

DESTROYA

Have yet to see season 2 but is there any closure to the series ? I’d hate to watch a whole season and find out it ends in some cliffhanger or something that will never get made.

MrS

Banned
netflix won't let anything that isn't a major sensation get past season 2
Haha I dunno man. Bullshit like Dirty John, The Politician, Sex Education, Umbrella Academy, Warrior Nun and Diablero are nailed on to get a third season.

Have yet to see season 2 but is there any closure to the series ? I’d hate to watch a whole season and find out it ends in some cliffhanger or something that will never get made.
I'd advise you to not get involved based on what you've described. The end of S2 is definitely set up for season 3.

Last edited:
First season was b-grade with great production values, risk taking and some awesome characters coming off the books. I enjoyed it plenty. The second season was a dumpster fire. I did not enjoy that. It would have been better to go hard on a season 3 rather than outright cancel.

alstrike

First season had a problem and that was the actor playing the main character. Second season I did not bother with so I guess I won't have to anymore...

frostyxc

First season had a problem and that was the actor playing the main character. Second season I did not bother with so I guess I won't have to anymore...
Yeah, in the first season, Joel Kinnaman was kind of a flatline, but I found the story and other characters mostly compelling. While I could stare at Simone Missick all day, season two sucked and was confusing. Season two also made it crystal clear to me that Anthony Mackie isn't a very good actor. He's just good at playing Falcon in the Marvel movies... which is totally fine by me. I like his Falcon.

The first season had some nice production design, but was difficult to watch for me.
In the second season I made it through one episode, and that was it.

Horrible.

Spaceman292

Banned
Yeah it was pretty boring. I didn't hear anyone talking about it the way the race about other Netflix stuff. Plus it looked insanely expensive.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I really wanted to like this show but that first season was not good. Didn´t even bother watching the second one. It is really a shame because I thought the plot was interesting but the acting and script were terrible.
They got rid of Joel Kinaman, who was easily the weakest link in S1. Mackie is passable and doesn't really get in the way of the story like Kinaman's wooden performance did.
Honestly, not sure how Kinaman has an acting career. He's horrible in everything he does.
I still liked the series though, but don't really care that it got cancelled. There wasn't much left to do after S2.

Last edited:

bati

They got rid of Joel Kinaman, who was easily the weakest link in S1. Mackie is passable and doesn't really get in the way of the story like Kinaman's wooden performance did.
Honestly, not sure how Kinaman has an acting career. He's horrible in everything he does.
I still liked the series though, but don't really care that it got cancelled. There wasn't much left to do after S2.

Mackie is really not much better. Personally I'd have just handed the role to Will Yun Lee, dude is seriously underrated and fun to watch.

Kadayi

Banned
Well that's a shame. I wasn't digging season 2 all that much (have yet to finish it) but I do like Sci-fi and I found the whole sleeves thing quite compelling

sandkiller

I don't even think it was MAckie's fault on Season 2, the plot felt so convoluted... Anyway, I'm not surprised, it was a drag to watch.. [season 2]

Reactions: MrS

manfestival

I wanted to eventually watch season 2 now I am not sure if I should bother if there would be no closure(likely the case). Also I was definitely on team Higaerda

Fbh

Season 2 was shit so I didn't have a lot of hope for season 3 anyway.

Not only did they go woke, from what I understand they completely deviated from the books and made a shitty "original" story

VanEs

I liked the first season. Second season was pretty meh. Would've liked for them to get back to season one level of quality, and also see how it all ends. Guess I'll have to read the books for that.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Loved the first season, struggled to get through the second season. Changing the actor was fine, but the entire character changed - became dour and boring.

GymWolf

The only thing i remember of this thing is the hot female hispanic cop of the first season...

Never watched season 2 because i don't like the actor...

Mr Hyde

This is why I'm reluctant to invest in TV-series these days, especially from Netflix. It's a big time commitment to watch several episodes and seasons and then suddenly these fucking companies just axe it in the middle of the show? Fuck you. What a waste.

Setzer

First season was awesome but I couldn't make it through 3 episodes of the second. It's a shame because the show had potential.

xrnzaaas

I feel like the whole show was a commercial failure for Netflix, but they didn't to admit wasting money on it by cancelling the show after season 1. At least they got a few woke points from changing the lead in season 2.

Top Bottom