• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Fireteam Elite - Announce Trailer (Xbox One, Xbox Series, PS4, PS5, Steam)

johntown

Banned
Gears of Aliens - it looks good and fun but I am just not sure how they will change it up. Fighting the same aliens over and over would get boring IMO.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Cold Iron Studios, huh.

pyuXie3.gif

MiguelItUp

Gears of Aliens - it looks good and fun but I am just not sure how they will change it up. Fighting the same aliens over and over would get boring IMO.
Thankfully there's 11 different types of xenos as well as other enemies like androids, etc. So I'm sure there will be enough. Much like how L4D and Vermintide treated it with the special enemies. I'm just hoping there's a versus mode and good amounts of variety.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
But the marines were able to fight back

My main point is them being able to fight back in the first place. It ruins the horror established by the first movie, that gave the impression that the Alien was unbeatable (so it was much more terrifying)

You talk about IQ but cant understand such a simple concept?

Sorry, maybe I'm misremembering

Saw both movies a long time ago
Well, no. Of course it was beatable, they just didnt have the means, in the 2nd they did. It's not a hard concept, and it still had horror elements

So you can have both and you talk shit.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Picking this up depends on what else is out at the time.

July/August looking barren right now. Could make for a nice summer game.

MiguelItUp

Last edited:

Arachnid

Vasquez had already shot that xeno 3 times, and she pinned its head with her foot, for a split second before shooting in multiple times in the face from point blank range. I'm pretty sure i could pin a gorillas head with my foot for a split second, doesnt mean the gorilla isnt many times more powerful than me.
As for the turret bit, if you actually listened to that bit, the xeno's were being smart and testing the defences. many insect colony's do the same thing.
I can somewhat let go of the Vasquez scene, but she still should have been shredded the second that thing caught up to her. It's a wild animal grappling with her in an enclosed space. It has four sets of claws, two sets of jaws, and a killer tail. It should have been rabid and lethal. She should have, at the very least, earned some pretty gnarly gashes in that exchange. Also, she should have been splattered with acid blood and dead regardless (acid blood is the one cool thing Cameron added IMO).

I remember the marines watching the screen and giving that bit of info, but making a Xeno the intellectual equivalent of an insect just doesn't fly with me. Some insect colony swarm playing out thoughtless biological programming isn't smart tactics, and it still reduces the Xeno to mindless cannon fodder that are easy to outplay and kill. Cameron should have found a better explanation to get the Xeno's past the defenses other than 'keep throwing bodies at them until the turrets run out of bullets'. They should have retreated and found another avenue of attack, or found some other way to incapacitate or bypass the turrets. Some thought process. Tactics. Teamwork. Anything. A throw away line like "they're testing defenses" doesn't make the Xeno's look any less dumb in that scene. Even worse, they acted like that the even after that scene. Cannon fodder getting blown away left and right sprinting into gunfire. The first movie (and all the movies following Cameron's) showed them to be capable on an individual basis. That's what I want from Xeno's. It annoyed me even more because he showed Ripley straight up communicating with/threatening the Xeno's in the same movie, and they understood. They're smart enough to straight up communicate with humans, which is insane. I think he just leaned too much into the insect swarm dynamic with the turret scene. He killed the horror aspect of the series with this movie by turning it into an action movie too.

EDIT: Anyway, that's all just my personal opinion. Cameron's movie is still the second highest rated movie in the series (after the first), so it's clear people liked it. I just don't like the Xeno's being so weak and dumb individually, so it's not for me. I'm similarly annoyed with the Xeno's being reduced to dumb and slow horde mode fodder after getting the smartest and most lethal AI I've ever seen in a game in Alien Isolation. I'm still somewhat interested in this game since Aliens fans get pretty slim pickings in terms of video games. I just can't help but make comparisons to the previous Alien game.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I can somewhat let go of the Vasquez scene, but she still should have been shredded the second that thing caught up to her. It's a wild animal grappling with her in an enclosed space. It has four sets of claws, two sets of jaws, and a killer tail. It should have been rabid and lethal. She should have, at the very least, earned some pretty gnarly gashes in that exchange. Also, she should have been splattered with acid blood and dead regardless (acid blood is the one cool thing Cameron added IMO).

I remember the marines watching the screen and giving that bit of info, but making a Xeno the intellectual equivalent of an insect just doesn't fly with me. Some insect colony swarm playing out thoughtless biological programming isn't smart tactics, and it still reduces the Xeno to mindless cannon fodder that are easy to outplay and kill. Cameron should have found a better explanation to get the Xeno's past the defenses other than 'keep throwing bodies at them until the turrets run out of bullets'. They should have retreated and found another avenue of attack, or found some other way to incapacitate or bypass the turrets. Some thought process. Tactics. Teamwork. Anything. A throw away line like "they're testing defenses" doesn't make the Xeno's look any less dumb in that scene. Even worse, they acted like that the even after that scene. Cannon fodder getting blown away left and right sprinting into gunfire. The first movie (and all the movies following Cameron's) showed them to be capable on an individual basis. That's what I want from Xeno's. It annoyed me even more because he showed Ripley straight up communicating with/threatening the Xeno's in the same movie, and they understood. They're smart enough to straight up communicate with humans, which is insane. I think he just leaned too much into the insect swarm dynamic with the turret scene. He killed the horror aspect of the series with this movie by turning it into an action movie too.

EDIT: Anyway, that's all just my personal opinion. Cameron's movie is still the second highest rated movie in the series (after the first), so it's clear people liked it. I just don't like the Xeno's being so weak and dumb individually, so it's not for me. I'm similarly annoyed with the Xeno's being reduced to dumb and slow horde mode fodder after getting the smartest and most lethal AI I've ever seen in a game in Alien Isolation. I'm still somewhat interested in this game since Aliens fans get pretty slim pickings in terms of video games. I just can't help but make comparisons to the previous Alien game.
They did. They stopped attacking the turrets when the turrets still had ammo. They cut the power and attacked through the roof remember? '5 metres....4 metres, that cant be thats in the room' '........of fuck the ceiling'.
Also the acid blood was in Alien if you remeber, when the try and cut the facehugger off Kane. Also Parker later says 'it has a wonderful defence mechanism, you dont dare kill it' when refrencing the acid blood later in the film.

EDIT. Alos Cameron said from the start that he wasnt doing another 'haunted house' movie, he was doing a combat movie, something different.

Last edited:

Rat Rage

I'm a huge fan of Alien/Aliens as well as AvP 1+2 (Rebellion, Monolith). I'm an even bigger fan of the godlike AvP2 AJL MOD R2, which I consider the best AvP game to date because it recreates the feelings of the movies, who spend hundreds of hours playing that particular mod on some foreign russian servers at night back in the day (shout-out to the russians - they're really cool and fun people to play games with!), I can safely say, the trailer looks veeery generic and the Aliens don't look scary at all.

In contrast, take a look at these Aliens from Alien vs. Predator 2 (2001). Watch for at least 2 minutes.

These Aliens are fast, agressive and you can feel, they REALLY want to kill you.

The Aliens in Aliens Fireteam look pathetic. They look like they want to be killed by you.

Last edited:

molasar

Banned
Cameron should have found a better explanation to get the Xeno's past the defenses other than 'keep throwing bodies at them until the turrets run out of bullets'. They should have retreated and found another avenue of attack, or found some other way to incapacitate or bypass the turrets. Some thought process. Tactics. Teamwork. Anything. A throw away line like "they're testing defenses" doesn't make the Xeno's look any less dumb in that scene. Even worse, they acted like that the even after that scene. Cannon fodder getting blown away left and right. The first movie (and all the movies following Cameron's) showed them to be capable on an individual basis. That's what I want from Xeno's. It annoyed me even more because he showed Ripley straight up communicating with/threatening the Xeno's in the same movie, and they understood. They're smart enough to straight up communicate with humans, which is insane. I think he just leaned too much into the insect swarm dynamic with the turret scene. He killed the horror aspect of the series with this movie by turning it into an action movie too.

You could always theoretize that Xenos have seen Marines as a major threat to the hive after the first encounter with them as they were ready to sacrifice partially themselves until to some point where they retreated (the turret guns scene).

Also Cameron's movie saved the franchise.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

They did. They stopped attacking the turrets when the turrets still had ammo. They cut the power and attacked through the roof remember? '5 metres....4 metres, that cant be thats in the room' '........of fuck the ceiling'.
Also the acid blood was in Alien if you remeber, when the try and cut the facehugger off Kane. Also Parker later says 'it has a wonderful defence mechanism, you dont dare kill it' when refrencing the acid blood later in the film.

EDIT. Alos Cameron said from the start that he wasnt doing another 'haunted house' movie, he was doing a combat movie, something different.
Yuuuup, and that was the terrifying part. They weren't just mindless aliens that were attacking them. They were incredibly intelligent and were able to learn and adapt to the situation. "Turrets = bad, time to find a new point of entry."

I just personally loved how Aliens leaned harder into the ant ant approach. Their behavior was very ant-like, the hive, the queen, essentially protecting the queen, etc.

Yeah, that same scene in Alien also had Dallas and Brett in it mentioning how the only other fluid that reacted that way was molecular acid, haha. There was plenty pointing to it.

These Aliens are fast, agressive and you can feel, they REALLY want to kill you.

The Aliens in Aliens Fireteam look pathetic. They look like they want to be killed by you.
Ugh AVP 1 and 2 were SO good. 3 was.... fine. I just really want a new and better sequel. One that can do what 2 did, and even better across the board. I want it bad.

I get what you're saying, but I don't think its fair to judge it THAT hard from the first snippets of gameplay that we have seen yet.

I mean, personally when I look at it I think of multiple scenes in Aliens. Especially the one where they lose power and suddenly realize the Aliens are closing in from the gap in the ceiling. Along with various comics of course where there were OCEANS and WAVES of xenos closing in on a desperate group of marines.

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
Thankfully there's 11 different types of xenos as well as other enemies like androids, etc. So I'm sure there will be enough. Much like how L4D and Vermintide treated it with the special enemies. I'm just hoping there's a versus mode and good amounts of variety.
I didn't know there were 11 different xeno types?

This looks like killing floor 2 with aliens instead of zombies. Hopefully there is a hook to keep you playing. KF2 had all kinds of wacky cosmetics which I dont think would work in this game.

I get it, but that doesnt change the fact that by making people more capable against the xenomorph, it kinda became a joke of a monster

And that's ridiculous, imo

In the first movie and Isolation, it's presented as an unkillable organism. Heck, it even bleeds acid ffs.

Prometheus and Covenant are far from perfect movies, but at least the xenomorph is a threat in those
Because Alien had no guns apparently. I'd rather play this than Isolation, that game just isn't my thing.

Colonial Marines had so much potential too...

Arachnid

My mistake. It's been a couple of years. I might be due for a rewatch of the series sometime soon when I have more free time. Also, you're right that face hugger had the acid blood in first, but I thought Cameron gave it to the Xeno in the second (I associated it with huggers in the first when I was younger). That may or may not be wrong, but did the Xeno even get hurt in the first movie other than the last scene when she incinerated it?

Anyway, the point is I'm just not a fan of the action slant in the second or the Xenos being killed so easily and in such large quantity. It always rubbed me wrong. That applies to this game too.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I'm out, ps4 is ruining next gen. Oh wait I was supposed to be silly and say series s, my bad. I mean if not for ps4 we could have a extra alien arm or something, more mist effects.

Last edited:

bargeparty

My mistake. It's been a couple of years. I might be due for a rewatch of the series sometime soon when I have more free time. Also, you're right that face hugger had the acid blood in first, but I thought Cameron gave it to the Xeno in the second (I associated it with huggers in the first when I was younger). That may or may not be wrong, but did the Xeno even get hurt in the first movie other than the last scene when she incinerated it?

Anyway, the point is I'm just not a fan of the action slant in the second or the Xenos being killed so easily and in such large quantity. It always rubbed me wrong. That applies to this game too.

Yes the xeno's have acid blood. It's how Hicks gets hurt. He shotguns one in the face trying to get into the infantry carrier (humvee truck thing) as they escape.

Some of you nerds need to calm down though, jesus.

mcz117chief

Looks and sounds great, I love coop action games like Left 4 Dead or Vermintide. Give me more games like that and I'll buy all of them!

Yes the xeno's have acid blood. It's how Hicks gets hurt. He shotguns one in the face trying to get into the infantry carrier (humvee truck thing) as they escape.

He means the first movie and he might have a point, it is possible that the alien in the first movie didn't have acid blood, only the facehugger (originally of course).

Last edited:

Arachnid

We're talking about the first movie fam, before Cameron

Also, our exchange seems pretty civil lol. I'm not mad, and he doesn't come off as angry.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Also please have an area that takes place above ground/outside in a sort of Prometheus or jungly area from Covenant. I know people hate those movies but I still really dig the atmosphere in them.

bargeparty

He means the first movie and he might have a point, it is possible that the alien in the first movie didn't have acid blood, only the facehugger (originally of course).

Well it never bleeds in the first so you cannot say exactly. However in the second movie, which continues to establish canon, they have acid blood.

We're talking about the first movie fam, before Cameron

Also, our exchange seems pretty civil lol. I'm not mad, and he doesn't come off as angry.

I just meant the whole "nerds" thing in a sort of jest since some of you guys are going super hard into this.

Besides the discussion is jumping around the universe of these movies, fam.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Well, that video didn’t suggest SP for me...
The story of LV-895 unfolds over four different campaigns, each of which includes three missions. It seems you can expect missions to clock in at around 40 minutes in length, although there are a lot of variables at play that could extend or shorten the duration significantly. The game is best when you're in a three-player squad, but if your team is smaller than that, the open slots will be filled in with AI-controlled bots.

I genuinely can't believe people are excited for this, it won't be anything near what your expectations will be. People never learn when it comes to Alien shooters.

Top Bottom