• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Colonial Marines, Aliens vs. Predator (2010) no longer available on Steam

Xater

Why is it that most of the time, these companies never announce ahead of time (maybe a month or at least a few weeks) that their games are getting delisted? You would think they would at least want to get a few extra last minute sales or something.

I don't know, game companies like to be secretive about all kinds of shit. Would probably not happen in some other industry.

ElTopo

Banned
Confession: I bought AvP2010 before I knew it was getting delisted. I know it's mediocre, but I figure I can get ~$1.30's worth of enjoyment out of it.

I paid $60 for it on Day 1. And bought another copy to gift out. The single player campaigns are pretty decent and both versions (DX9 and 11) run very well.

It depends on how the licensing deals were structured. May be affected by things like the actors' licenses that are separate from the overall IP.

I guess that would make sense. I can't imagine Sega losing the Predator IP but I wonder if that's the case if it affects the release of Far Blood Dragon where Michael Bein voices a character and his likeness is used for cutscenes.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I guess that would make sense. I can't imagine Sega losing the Predator IP but I wonder if that's the case if it affects the release of Far Blood Dragon where Michael Bein voices a character and his likeness is used for cutscenes.

Actors generally aren't contracted on a temporary, licence-based basis.

Memory

AVP 2010 pvp was great what are ypu talking about? The campaigns were average at best but the pvp modes were awesome in their variety and quality, almost as good as Rebellions, nostalga aside.

It was one of the best multiplayer games last gen imo. What other game can hunt marines from the walls and roof tops or cloak up and face a whole army as a single predator?

Bought both from key sellers. (realized I already own CM retail but whatever). They really ought to give us an advance notice on delistings, they'd make some last minute money too.

It's not like they'd still be available in retail stores years after their launch. Also, people who already bought it still have it.

But retail games are still available for new players. Delisted digital games are gone forever and there's no way to buy them ever again.

epmode

So what would you suggest? How can a game continue to be sold digitally if no one owns the licensing rights? Who gets the money? It's not like retail where the store pays for copies before they go on sale to the enduser.

Digital + physical is ideal but going with a physical release presents a lot of problems for the publisher. It's not cheap to release a game to retail and the margins are low. This is fine for a big game but it is absolutely prohibitive for smaller projects.

By the way, you can activate retail versions of Steamworks games even if Steam delisted them. Retail PC games aren't all that common, though. Especially in America.

Aeqvitas

I wished AvP had been better, but controls and balance were all shit.

I don't hate colonial marines as much as most, but it was easily the most disappointing game I've ever bought into. For being a taped together turd sandwich, it did a few things okay. I finished the campaign, and the multiplayer was ok when it worked and before the imbalances showed.

But I don't think games should be pulled, makes one wary of the steam DRM empire. The only let you keep using the license out of goodwill after they pull it, nothing is stopping them from taking your games. But it's all cool because there are shitty sales a few times a year :/

ElTopo

Banned
Actors generally aren't contracted on a temporary, licence-based basis.

Hmmm. So, I would guess they lost the Predator license or something involving Fox. Because if they just lost the Predator license why would they take down Colonial Marines?

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
AvP2010 is a lot better than what people say about it. It's just a lot easier and streamlined than AvP1 or 2. The Marine campaign is the obvious highlight, but it's a solid 7/10 game overall.

I just bought it on Steam the other day, as it's region blocked in Taiwan (alongside every other Sega game) and I'm back home until February.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I was so close to pre-ordering Colonial Marines on Steam and a friend told me to hold back for reviews and man I sure am glad I actually listened to his advice. Should throw AvP 2 on Steam in exchange.

JPS Kai

Yes. Game content is never removed.

There was at least one case of games being removed from your Steam library, but that was an online title that had its servers shut down. Dunno exactly which one it was but its one of the Order of War titles that I believe has a single player campaign.

JaseC

There was at least one case of games being removed from your Steam library, but that was an online title that had its servers shut down. Dunno exactly which one it was but its one of the Order of War titles that I believe has a single player campaign.

Game content as in the data files Steam downloads. The example you bring up (the only one of its kind) was actually partially reversed by Valve -- those who'd bought Challenge in particular got the game back since Squeenix's stupid precedent left users who had paid for a specific licence with nothing (those who'd obtained it as part of the Order of War vanilla were unfortunately not so lucky, but at least Valve stepping in opened up the option of tracking down a retail key). Also, Challenge has no SP component at all outside of the tutorial missions, which is why Squeenix thought it'd be a good idea to revoke it following the server shutdowns.

Hmmm. So, I would guess they lost the Predator license or something involving Fox. Because if they just lost the Predator license why would they take down Colonial Marines?

I think Sega took a leaf out of Acti's book and gave up AvP earlier than intended for a partial refund, and similarly it negotiated a deal to receive a partial refund on the cost of the Alien licence by offering to give up Aliens in particular, with Alien being kept around for the sake of Isolation -- hence both games disappearing at the same time.

JMTHEFOX

Thank god that Colonial Marines is removed, its nothing but a bland game with Alien characters.

Sucks for AvP 2010 though. Seeing videos of multiplayer made me wish the community was still playing.

Oh well, at least I got AvP Classic for free on GOG.

xrnzaaas

And that's why I support the retail games market whenever I (financially) can. I don't care if they were good enough to stay or not, stuff like this shouldn't happen and I should be able to buy a game 5 or 10 years after its release if I want to.

draetenth

Sad to see AVP 2010 was removed. I will never understand the hatred it got. I thought it was a really fun and atmospheric game. I never touched multiplayer, I really loved trying to stealth kill everything as the alien and predator in single player. Sure I had some complaints (predator was really easy: cloak + speargun (i think), marine could block aliens and faced too many androids later in the game, and I really loved the Alien mission so I was pissed at it's ending
I wanted to play as a Praetorian and Queen :(
). However, IMO it easily compares to AVP 2 which had it's own problems (I kept getting lost during a couple of the predator missions).

IMO: AVP2 Alien missions = AVP 2010 missions
AVP 2 Marine Missions > AVP 2010 Marine missions (though they weren't bad).
AVP 2010 Predator mission > AVP 2 Predator missions. Despite being easier due to cloaking + speargun, the fact that I kept getting lost in the area right before the final boss in AVP 2's predator mission makes AVP 2010 the superior choice (though AVP 2's final boss was more fun than the one in AVP 2010).

I honestly didn't really care for AVP Classic so I didn't have high hopes for AVP 2010 so maybe that helped me enjoy it better?

ElTopo

Banned
I think Sega took a leaf out of Acti's book and gave up AvP earlier than intended for a partial refund, and similarly it negotiated a deal to receive a partial refund on the cost of the Alien licence by offering to give up Aliens in particular, with Alien being kept around for the sake of Isolation -- hence both games disappearing at the same time.

I don't know what to think of that if true. More Alien Isolation is fine with me but I was looking forward to Sega doing a good solo Predator game.

My dream is that Valve permanently gets AVP the license and develops another TF2 but with the AVP license and a good solo Predator game.

It'll never happen though.

I just got an email saying a game on your wishlist is on sale (I wanted to replay AvP on PC). I clicked on it and it came up with an error page.
What?

It was always going to be the worst version of a terrible 1/10 game

Unless this is some kind of joke regarding what they said pre-release

The game was terrible period but motion tracking with the gamepad would of make it the best version of the terribad.

JaseC

Are Alien and Aliens separate ips?

No. When Sega obtained the Alien licence in 2006, Aliens was also included (Sega confirmed an Aliens-based RPG was in development, which we now know was an ill-fated Obsidian game). As I said above, though, I think Sega negotiated a partial refund on the cost of licence by offering to give up on Aliens in particular, keeping Alien around for the sake of Isolation's continued availability.

ElTopo

Banned
I guess the big question is: what happens to AVP and Predator? Fox has no idea what to do with that license. After AVP2 came out for PC in 2001 they didn't do anything with it. Then came AVP Extinction and Predator Concrete Jungle. Then nothing again until Sega got the rights.

I just want a good solo Predator game. Is that so much to ask?

Meia

And that's why I support the retail games market whenever I (financially) can. I don't care if they were good enough to stay or not, stuff like this shouldn't happen and I should be able to buy a game 5 or 10 years after its release if I want to.

For every game that gets enough copies made to find 5-10 years later, there are 3 or 4 that you will never be able to find in that period. Hell, how many Atlus games were almost lost to the ether that would have never happened if digital was around back then?

Digital has a place, and as long as you can re-download a game you bought even if the license is out, it's fine. Not ideal, but fine.

REDSLATE

Confession: I bought AvP2010 before I knew it was getting delisted. I know it's mediocre, but I figure I can get ~$1.30's worth of enjoyment out of it.

It's not mediocre. It's actually pretty good, and there's a solid plot as well. It just happens to fall into that vein of games which weren't worth $60 at launch. You can very easily justify its purchase for under $2. Hell, the survival mode alone is worth that.

Did they ever patch it to be semi playable state or was it never really improved at all? Seemed like despite glitches, worst offender was the horrible AI?

Top Bottom