• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(*) Ali Salehi, a rendering engineer at Crytek contrasts the next Gen consoles in interview (Up: Tweets/Article removed)

Jigsaah

Gold Member
How do you know that without seeing one pure next-gen game on either console yet?
In Cerny and Phil I trust?

I don't know. However there is evidence without seeing games. Both companies work with developers to figure out what they are looking for. With that, they are both claiming 4k Support and 60 - 120 fps. I'm not a specs kinda guy, granted, but it would only make sense that any truly next gen game would include a minimum of 60 fps, though I would not go as far as to say 4k.

I believe the fact that these machines being as powerful as high end PCs currently should mean that 4k 60fps should easily be achieved on almost all games, depending on the implementation of raytracing. We look at the Nvidia cards as a reference and may assume because raytracing drains performance that it would do the same on these consoles. I'm not convinced of this though. Custom designed machines may have been able to mitigate that issue to some extent. The raytracing on console is already assumed to be inferior when compared to Nvidia, so maybe that plus whatever other solutions they've employed will allow greater performance even if the bells and whistles aren't as shiny.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
In Cerny and Phil I trust?

I don't know. However there is evidence without seeing games. Both companies work with developers to figure out what they are looking for. With that, they are both claiming 4k Support and 60 - 120 fps. I'm not a specs kinda guy, granted, but it would only make sense that any truly next gen game would include a minimum of 60 fps, though I would not go as far as to say 4k.

I believe the fact that these machines being as powerful as high end PCs currently should mean that 4k 60fps should easily be achieved on almost all games, depending on the implementation of raytracing. We look at the Nvidia cards as a reference and may assume because raytracing drains performance that it would do the same on these consoles. I'm not convinced of this though. Custom designed machines may have been able to mitigate that issue to some extent. The raytracing on console is already assumed to be inferior when compared to Nvidia, so maybe that plus whatever other solutions they've employed will allow greater performance even if the bells and whistles aren't as shiny.

The bolded is 100% NOT true at all! That's up to the developers. And it'll be super stupid to force something as dumb as mandatory 60 fps.

pawel86ck

Banned
Again.

DX12U is a logo or label... what that means? That means that any hardware that supports DX12U label needs to support 4 features: ray-trading hardware acceleration, support to Mesh Shaders, Variate Rate Shading and Sampler Feedback.

These are the 4 features that Are required to label DX12U in your hardware.

The API is the same.... it didn’t change... you have the same DX12 released in the past for better or worst.

The guy in the interview made a comparison that MS still uses the DX12 on Xbox Series X instead to made a API specific created/updated to the Xbox Series X hardware and that is true.

DX12 is a generic API made to work across several platforms and that come at a cost... it is not made specifically to use one single platform potential... unlike the PS5’s API where Sony build it specifically to use the hardware of PS5.
The biggest advantage of DX12 API is that it makes development across several platforms easier because you can use a common API.

You guys keep trying to make the CryTek dude wrong when he doesn’t say nothing wrong at all.

BTW quote part you guys are trying to pick up lol

“For the Xbox, they have to put DirectX and Windows on the console, which is many years old, but for each new console that Sony builds, it also rebuilds the software and APIs in any way it wants.”
Are you suggesting all these features highlighted in DX 12 ultimate are nothing new? So what about Inline raytracing, it'a a new feature or not?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The bolded is 100% NOT true at all! That's up to the developers. And it'll be super stupid to force something as dumb as mandatory 60 fps.
60 fps is dumb!?

A small part of me just died, are you happy now?

Edit to prevent double post.

I’m not saying this makes him wrong but he retracted his statements. I’m kinda surprised this thread is still going.
That's exactly what I was saying. Then there's spin even on this. People who lean Sony are saying that he was pressured to do so under threat from Crytek or NDA reasons. Xbox leaners say the complete opposite is true, that this means Xbox is easier to code for.

Very few people take the stance I take, which is that how easy a system is to code for is strictly subjective. Preferences would weigh heavily on this. Also, what does "easier" actually mean? Is this a huge difference? Is the difference debilitating to the point where it would affect release dates like it did with the PS3?

My point is it's irresponsible to make claims like this with zero first hand experience with the devkits and going off hearsay alone when a lot of this is subjective and depends heavily on the preferences of the individual developers he's spoken to.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I’m not saying this makes him wrong but he retracted his statements. I’m kinda surprised this thread is still going.
Yes because he wants his job over the interview.
That doesn’t make what he said wrong... just that CryTek got mad about it.
That happened after exposition... he even had a Q/A to answer questions for the same day.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
Yes because he wants his job over the interview.
That doesn’t make what he said wrong... just that CryTek got mad about it.
That happened after exposition... he even had a Q/A to answer questions for the same day.
Man I have asked you a very simple question. Inline raytracing is a new feature or not?

Tamy

Banned
You guys keep trying to make the CryTek dude wrong when he doesn’t say nothing wrong at all

what? he said many wrong things:

Because Sony has developed exclusive software for the PlayStation 5, it will definitely give developers much more capabilities than Microsoft, which has almost the same directX PC and for its consoles.

So, devs can develop for PC+XSX with a unified API using DX12 Ultimate and this is bad thing? It's way easier and better for devs develop a single time and have games ready for 2 platforms, how is this a bad thing? Does he really think for multiplatform games dev would take the use PS5s special features? Unlikely.

Sony runs PlayStation 5 on its own operating system, but Microsoft has put a customized version of Windows on the Xbox Series X.

It uses Game Core OS, not Windows 10.

A good example of this is the Xbox Series X hardware. Microsoft two seprate pools of Ram. The same mistake that they made over Xbox one. One pool of RAM has high bandwidth and the other pool of RAM has lower bandwidth. As a result, coding for the console is sometimes problematic. Because the total number of things we have to put in the faster pool RAM is so much that it will be annoying again, and add insult to injury the 4k output needs even more bandwidth. So there will be some factors which bottleneck XSX’s GPU.

Wrong. This is nothing like Xbox one, where xbox one use DDR3 and ESRAM, completely different.

"10 gigabytes of physical memory [runs at] 560GB/s. We call this GPU optimal memory. Six gigabytes [runs at] 336GB/s. We call this standard memory. GPU optimal and standard offer identical performance for CPU audio and file IO. The only hardware component that sees a difference in the GPU."

From Microsoft's perspective, it is still a unified memory system, even if performance can vary. "In conversations with developers, it's typically easy for games to more than fill up their standard memory quota with CPU, audio data, stack data, and executable data, script data, and developers like such a trade-off when it gives them more potential bandwidth," says Goossen.

CUs or even Traflaps are not necessarily the same between all architectures. That is, Teraflops cannot be compared between devices and decide which one is actually numerically superior. So you can't trust these numbers and call it a day.

Both console are based on RDNA 2.0, both have CPU and GPU from AMD. You can perfectly compare those numbers.

What Sony has done is much more logical because it decides whether the GPU frequency is higher or the CPU's frequency at certain times, depending on the processing load. For example, on a loading page, only the CPU is needed and the GPU is not used. Or in a close-up scene of the character's face, GPU gets involved and CPU plays a very small role. On the other hand, it's good that the Series X has good cooling and guarantees to keep the frequency constant and it doesn't have throttling, but the practical freedom that Sony has given is really a big deal.

Is he seriously saying that it's better to have a variable frequency instead of sustained?
Or is this a joke?

Microsoft also showed the ability to stop and run new games, which can run multiple games simultaneously and move between each in less than 5-6 seconds. This time will be under a second in PlayStation.

Does PS5 support suspend and resume for multiple games? And it didn't take 6 seconds to move between the different games

This demo:

Demo uses backward compatible Xbox titles to demonstrate Quick Resume technology and does not represent gameplay optimized for Xbox Series X.

As a programmer, I would say that the PlayStation 5 is much better, and I don't think you can find a programmer who chooses XBX over PS5. For the Xbox, they have to put DirectX and Windows on the console, which is many years old, but for each new console that Sony builds, it also rebuilds the software and APIs in any way it wants.

Microsoft’s DirectX 12 Ultimate unifies graphics tech for PC gaming and Xbox Series X

So a game can be optimized using DX12 Ultimate and run on a variety of Xbox devices and both AMD and Nvidia cards

So, how is:

a) Develop and optimize a game for a single platform
better than
b) develop and optimize a game using DX12 ultimate and run on xbox one, xbox series x, AMD und nVidia cards?

Wouldn't a dev invest way more time and resources in using that, because he gains so much more and has a much larger audience?

Last edited:
Expertise in a field does not make anyone immune to personal biases.

He doesn't appear to have any biases where it concerns compression. He just looks like a person whose passionate to the extreme for compression. He's worked for a wide range of companies and appears to just focus on compression 24/7.

martino

he is mixing what he said on the os and apply to the api...he want dx 12 to be bad for some reasons (he spread fud on rdr2 being two times worst than on vulkan in another thread)
his logic is so wrong ...how can hardware features developped for featureset of an api not perform perfectly ?
it's like saying you develop a decompression chip without making it optimized for the decompression algorithm you develop it for....(you see the pun here)

Last edited:

Agreed, devs could always make titles 60fps, even on current gen. It has to be a priority. Look at Doom Eternal. These consoles will both have more than enough power to do just about anything all gen long.

Also, I believe the update on this crytek guy is he doesn't actually have any access to dev kits, and he's also apparently a mobile developer by the looks of it. Doesn't mean a mobile dev can't know what he's talking about of course, but for the kinds of statements he made you wanna at least have access to the thing you're making those statements about.

ethomaz

Banned
what? he said many wrong things:

So, devs can develop for PC+XSX with a unified API using DX12 Ultimate and this is bad thing? It's way easier and better for devs develop a single time and have games ready for 2 platforms, how is this a bad thing? Does he really think for multiplatform games dev would take the use PS5s special features? Unlikely.

Wrong. This is nothing like Xbox one, where xbox one use DDR3 and ESRAM, completely different.

"10 gigabytes of physical memory [runs at] 560GB/s. We call this GPU optimal memory. Six gigabytes [runs at] 336GB/s. We call this standard memory. GPU optimal and standard offer identical performance for CPU audio and file IO. The only hardware component that sees a difference in the GPU."

From Microsoft's perspective, it is still a unified memory system, even if performance can vary. "In conversations with developers, it's typically easy for games to more than fill up their standard memory quota with CPU, audio data, stack data, and executable data, script data, and developers like such a trade-off when it gives them more potential bandwidth," says Goossen.

Both console are based on RDNA 2.0, both have CPU and GPU from AMD. You can perfectly compare those numbers.

Is he seriously saying that it's better to have a variable frequency instead of sustained?
Or is this a joke?

Does PS5 support suspend and resume for multiple games? And it didn't take 6 seconds to move between the different games

This demo:

Microsoft’s DirectX 12 Ultimate unifies graphics tech for PC gaming and Xbox Series X

So a game can be optimized using DX12 Ultimate and run on a variety of Xbox devices and both AMD and Nvidia cards

So, how is:

better than
b) develop and optimize a game using DX12 ultimate and run on xbox one, xbox series x, AMD und nVidia cards?

Wouldn't a dev invest way more time and resources in using that, because he gains so much more and has a much larger audience?

You did not contested their points.

- Yes develop dor a single platform API is easier to optimize than a multi platform API.
- It is still Windows.
- MS memory setup is indeed more tricky than PS5 memory setup.
- The performance of CUs depend of a sereis de others factors and they indeed can delivery different in each machine.
- What do you prefer Xbox with fixed 3.6Ghz and 1825Mhz or do like PS5 with 3.8Ghz and 1900Mhz? That is what he is saying... if you fix the clock you are limited to an average in both... variate clock give freedom to devs choose to run at peak GPU or CPU clock above the fixed average.
- Yeap he says with PS5 speeds it will be under a second... I believe it is more like 1-2 seconds but you can’t say it won’t be like he said.
- Like he said that add complexity to optimization because the tool is generic and not focused in a single platform... he says the PS5’s focused devkits are easier to use than Xbox’s multi devices devkits... we already discussed that when MS choose to support from Xbox One to Xbox Series X plus PC on their XDK... it is really add complexity... and it is not hard to believe PS5’s dev tools are easier... he is not the first dev to say that.

You basically didn’t counter any of his claims... just said you don’t believe in what he said.

I will got deep... what he said basically most devs will say about game development...

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Man I have asked you a very simple question. Inline raytracing is a new feature or not?
I said it is in my very first post lol
So I thought you were being redundant to something I already said...

DXR was added to DirectX 12 when nVidia releases Turing and now they updated DXR with AMD hardware support.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Look at his linkedin all mobile games and even then he's not John Carmack or any person who made a kickbutt graphical engine. I'll take someone like John Carmack over this guy on graphical capabilities
Yeap CryTek is crazy to put him to work in their games and to talk in GDC like events about render technics.

He is after all a nobody that know nothing... maybe he did not even studied in a university.

sircaw

Banned
Ali has only worked on mobile games so yeah....

I am sure there was a picture of him showing a ps4 hunt shadow case with "his baby he worked on or something."
So the stuff just about mobile stuff is false i believe.
As for his stuff getting taken down, Nda are serious business.

He probably got into a lot of trouble with what he revealed.
He is not even allowed to acknowledge them as far as i know.

pawel86ck

Banned
I said it is in my very first post lol
So I thought you were being redundant to something I already said...

DXR was added to DirectX 12 when nVidia releases Turing and now they updated DXR with AMD hardware support.
According to Nvidia DXR tier 1.1 will also benefit their own GPU's, and that would be not the case if direct ultimate would bring nothing new like you trying to say.

DXR tier 1.1 provides support for adding extra shaders to an existing ray tracing PSO, increasing the efficiency of dynamic PSO additions. Developers will receive ExecuteIndirect support for ray tracing, which enables adaptive algorithms where the number of rays is decided on the GPU execution timeline. Inline Raytracing has been added, which allows for more direct control of the ray traversal algorithm and shader scheduling.

Krisprolls

Banned
You did not contested their points.

- Yes develop dor a single platform API is easier to optimize than a multi platform API.
- It is still Windows.
- MS memory setup is indeed more tricky than PS5 memory setup.
- The performance of CUs depend of a sereis de others factors and they indeed can delivery different in each machine.
- What do you prefer Xbox with fixed 3.6Ghz and 1825Mhz or do like PS5 with 3.8Ghz and 1900Mhz? That is what he is saying... if you fix the clock you are limited to an average in both... variate clock give freedom to devs choose to run at peak GPU or CPU clock above the fixed average.
- Yeap he says with PS5 speeds it will be under a second... I believe it is more like 1-2 seconds but you can’t say it won’t be like he said.
- Like he said that add complexity to optimization because the tool is generic and not focused in a single platform... he says the PS5’s focused devkits are easier to use than Xbox’s multi devices devkits... we already discussed that when MS choose to support from Xbox One to Xbox Series X plus PC on their XDK... it is really add complexity... and it is not hard to believe PS5’s dev tools are easier... he is not the first dev to say that.

You basically didn’t counter any of his claims... just said you don’t believe in what he said.

I will got deep... what he said basically most devs will say about game development...

Yes, this guy has an opinion he expressed very clearly and explained pretty well. He retracted nothing, he was just under NDA so it brought him trouble obviously, but he's a well informed dev who worked on a PS4 game and he has a Xbox too. He may be biased but he doesn't look like a fanboy.

It doesn't mean he'll be right on every point, we don't know, but according to Jason Shreier, most devs feel the same as he does (including 3rd parties) about the PS5 being a "superior hardware in a lot of ways" so why bash him constantly and not all the other devs who said the same ? If everybody says the same thing, it may well be true.

Last edited:

Gediminas

Banned
retracted, statements? what are you talking about. there was no statements, just Q/A. retracted, more like m$ called and cried to Crytek and he had to delete that interview. more than anything that shows that he spoke the truth.
but of course, you not gonna get it as others m$ cheerleaders also, you are not capable of that.

ethomaz

Banned
Yes, this guy has an opinion he expressed very clearly and explained pretty well. He retracted nothing, he was just under NDA so it brought him trouble obviously, but he's a well informed dev who worked on a PS4 game and he has a Xbox too. He may be biased but he doesn't look like a fanboy.

It doesn't mean he'll be right on every point, we don't know, but according to Jason Shreier, most devs feel the same as he does (including 3rd parties) about the PS5 being a "superior hardware in a lot of ways" so why bash him constantly and not all the other devs who said the same ? If everybody says the same thing, it may well be true.
Yeap.

People seems to miss that he says Xbox have less trouble to push more pixels due the stronger GPU.

He just give his opinion that the PS5 devkit is easier to work and extract more from the hardware due several reasons.

Most devs says the same... it is not the first time we read PS5 tools are easier... well even PS4 dev tools are confirmed easier than Xbox One devstools.

Like somebody else said that changed internally in Sony after Cerny started to design the consoles... he is a game developer so he knows that the DevKit tools needs to be easy to work.

Last edited:

SaucyJack

So, how is:

better than

Isn’t the answer to that really really obvious?

psorcerer

Banned

Windows-based still. He's right.

This is nothing like Xbox one, where xbox one use DDR3 and ESRAM, completely different.

Still needs pool management. He's right.

Does PS5 support suspend and resume for multiple games?

It's a software feature. And it's unrelated.

You cannot optimize for all platforms at once, it's not called "optimization".
Optimization is when you optimize for a particular hw platform.

psorcerer

Banned
Like somebody else said that changed internally in Sony after Cerny started to design the consoles... he is a game developer so he knows that the DevKit tools needs to be easy to work.

Close. It started with the "ICE team" in PS3 days.
Remember these "Sony Ninjas" that were sent to various dev houses to help port/develop for PS3?
That's where the "dev-centric" approach started.
MSFT and NV are unfortunately still pretty behind in these matters. They think they know better which features are needed.

pawel86ck

Banned
XSX is the more powerful without a shadow of doubt.

Question is where will all that extra power go to use because the PS5 though weaker is also capable of 4K 60fps.

Better Raytracing? Most likely.

120fps? Doubt it since the power gap isnt big enough.

8k? No chance.
Performance gap is really small, so I expect just a little bit higher dynamic resolution or framerate in multiplatform games, while PS5 exclusives should easily surpass XSX games. Developers like Naughty Dog could build amazing looking games even on PS3 (the last of us), and PS4 (uncharted 4 and TLOU2), so I cant even imagine what they will do on PS5.

Performance gap is really small, so I expect just a little bit higher dynamic resolution or framerate in multiplatform games, while PS5 exclusives should easily surpass XSX games. Developers like Naughty Dog could build amazing looking games even on PS3 (the last of us), and PS4 (uncharted 4 and TLOU2), so I cant even imagine what they will do on PS5.

I'm guessing that Sonys 1st parties will do something pretty amazing with the SSD. Hopefully they put the new features of the controller to good use.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I don't know whether or not this video or the information therein has already been posted, but the video confirms that the PlayStation 5 is indeed capable of Variable Rate Shading.

Reactions: TLZ
He gave us the reasons why he assesses the PS5 as the better console--this does not sound like your run of the mill fanbuy drivel to me... a fanboy dev could also have said something like: Sony really dropped the ball this time around, this and that is weaker than it should be, but it's easier to work with, etc. Otherwise being a Sony fan is pretty easy since the PS4 release they have provided the goods.
This didn't age well at all.

N4G ignored this .

ixvrQ32.png

B_Boss

For folks who keep repeating or mentioning that "he's retracted, move along"....well I don't believe that is the point. Firstly, and as far as I am aware, we don't know exactly why he retracted. We can speculate on it (until we somehow get a hold of the irrefutable facts which I doubt personally) but Salehi said what he reportedly said in the interview and we are discussing the mere contents of that interview. Its nothing complicated. It is a part of the, to an extent I guess, the historical record now, at least as it concerns video games.

He said what he said and we're talking about what he said because regardless of what he said, that is interesting to some of us who are gaming hobbyists. Many of us here don't mind taking a closer look at what Salehi spoke about, being critical about his words and thoughts especially as we learn more facts surrounding both consoles. No matter what we look back on for the next generation of console gaming, this story will always be a part of it, but I definitely think we should place an asterisk next to it :messenger_beermugs:.

Last edited:
>Look at how easily my words get "fucking" misinterpreted. IDK where you got me saying that Series X will be hard to develop for, you pull that from the thoughts in your head. You need to chill man and stop nitpicking comments.

So first I nitpicked and misinterpreted what I said, then I wrote farrrr too much for you to read? Come on, which is it bud? Am I nitpicking your comment or am I too invested?

>I said the numbers never really mattered, at the end both systems had great looking exclusives. The only thing you took from my comment is that Series X is going to be hard to develop for like the PS3... SMH. Chill bro, chill.

So I fixed what you deemed to be an issue, and responded to your entire comment.

I would also like to add that in that comment of mine, all my words put together adds up to like.. one decent sized paragraph? Maybe two really small sized ones? In other words an amount of reading that shouldn't take you longer than what, 2 minutes?
Yea, Bud!

The Alien

Banned

Everyone can have their opinion, that's fine. However, he's primarily a mobile dev who has been with Crytek less than 18 months.

If hes not right on every point, or even has an opinion, he probably shouldnt be speaking for Crytek. I'm sure some will say he doesnt speak for Crytek...but the news plastered across the internet is "Crytek dev says".... it's probably why, internally, Crytek was pissed.

Tamy

Banned
I don't know whether or not this video or the information therein has already been posted, but the video confirms that the PlayStation 5 is indeed capable of Variable Rate Shading.

as long as Sony does not confirm this feature, then we don't know for sure. We have to wait for a confirmation from Sony. Everything else is just guessing and can't be taken as a confirmation.

xStoyax

Banned
So has anything about this been disproven over the last few months since we’ve had more info? Or this is sounding more legit?

Top Bottom