• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alanah Pearce - It's going to get worse

tkscz

I mean, with games costing $100 million or more to create now a days, we've reached that point where making a profit off software is becoming harder and harder. So yeah, taking a chance on a game that has a much higher chance of reaching profit overtime is the obvious choice even when it too is beginning to fail.

Really only Nintendo and Japanese third parties can get away with taking a chance on single player games. Choosing proprietary in house engines, less focus on pushing technology and keeping budgets down.

WoJ

Yeah this is my last gen.

If the future route is live service trash, im out.
This is kind of where I'm at in a sense. This gen has been so disappointing. I really don't see myself buying the next Playstation until it's at the end of its lifecycle. And I am still debating about the possibility of building a PC instead.

I'll stick with Nintendo, but eventually they catch up to the mainstream trends of the industry.

My backlog is so big anyways, there's not a ton of new stuff that interests me.

Puscifer

9e467d657e7d400526ef7f41265eab04a2a2a82f_low.webp
I would smack, grab and motorboat the fuck out of those wet titties

Last edited:

IAmRei

• Indie Games are not the answer to this problem. Indie game studios shut down all the time, you just don't hear about it like you would a Tango Gameworks or Arkane Studios. It is very difficult for Indie Games to get funded and find a publisher.
can confirm this as well, often indies burn over their own money, because partnership with publisher become harder than some years ago where everything is easier.

solidus12

If they fire her for that, then they are shit.
Work and hobby shouldnt be mixed. What she does outside of her job is none of their business.
Of course, but she seems to focus a lot on Xbox… kinda weird to go work for their direct competitor…

That is an objective truth. Those businesses exist in a world where capitalism is the leading economic/political system. Their success and failure is the result of the benefits and downfalls of capitalism. The end goal of capitalism is profit for whoever owns the product or service.

Although not stated explicitly, the Publishing Director of Larian followed a similar thread last month when talking about layoffs. This is also not just a games industry, but in tech as a whole right now.

Microsoft, Take-Two, Google, etc are posting record profits, approving higher and higher compensation packages for their CEOs, yet they're laying off hundreds, or thousands of employees.

The reason is they're prioritizing profits over the people who are working to generate those profits for them or the products that generate those profits. I personally know of 2 companies that laid off hundreds of workers in Q2 FY24 so they could bring their operating costs below amount that would make the overall end of year numbers look better for investors. Both those companies have not only hired back the number of people they laid off, but one of them has actually hired more than they laid off.
What you're describing is human greed and it exists in any and all political or economic systems. It's part of the human condition. You could eliminate all capitalist systems right now and replace them with any system of your choice and you wouldn't fix a damn thing. People would still, and always will be, greedy to the detriment of society at large.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Didn't she defend IGN's Stellar Blade review.
I mean she says shit and sometimes she right and then the dumbest shit comes out of her mouth.
Capitalism. The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.
Yeah people say shit like that and in this case the games industry wouldn't exist without Capitalism.

I like Alanah, I think if she was around in the late 2000's she would great and wouldn't spew so much crap with a heavy dose of Captain Obvious
But she is a product of this time in every sense of the word.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Meh, regurgitated "news" from a nobody. Anyway, the games industry has been expanding for a long time, and is bigger than ever after having been boosted by the pandemic. Something has to give eventually. It's part of the cycle and balance. And when something dies, something else and possibly better will most likely materialize in its place.

Competing for time isn't a new concept even in the games industry. Many of us had thousands of hours in some games decades ago.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Amouranth made $57 million dollars on only fans in 4 years.

Alanah is a retard. A body like that and the same gamers who drop fat stacks on Amouranth would simp for Alanah too.

Girl is sitting on generational wealth…
Yup. She’s halfway there with the photos she’s posted. If she doesn’t plan on having kids, she should totally make that only fans money.

I do feel bad for the next generation of kids whose moms whored themselves out on only fans and the kids get made fun of for it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Dont wanna rain on your parade, but those are made by AI

I like Alanah, but those points are obvious
There’s that elephant.

AI should solve some of those problems right? I cringe at the thought of a big AAA live service game with generic art, generic gameplay, and 70% AI generated.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
What you're describing is human greed and it exists in any and all political or economic systems. It's part of the human condition. You could eliminate all capitalist systems right now and replace them with any system of your choice and you wouldn't fix a damn thing. People would still, and always will be, greedy to the detriment of society at large.
You know what? You are absolutely 100% correct. But like I said, it's the system we exist and operate in. It drives the decisions that these people are making. So when businesses are doing well, it's not unfair to attribute some or most of that success to capitalism. Same thing when they're doing poorly.

Embracer started collecting studios like a starving squirrel collecting nuts. Their goal was to stockpile IPs so they could profit from them. When that didn't work, they fired all the people who worked decades to create and build those IPs. The CEO who made the decision to spend all that money still has a very well paying job.

Yes, it's greed. But it's greed enabled and encouraged by capitalism.

I should point out that I'm not taking a specific position on the merits or capitalism here. Just pointing out that it's not unreasonable to attribute the current fuck up to it.

feynoob

Dont wanna rain on your parade, but those are made by AI

I like Alanah, but those points are obvious
Yeah, that is 100% an AI.

The hands, the chest, the handle shower, extra meat on one of her boobs.

Its scary how much bots can actually create an image like that.

reinking

Gold Member
I have no boner for Alanah Pearce but I thought she did a good job of laying the topic out where even A Fucking Idiot could understand what is going on. 🤷‍♂️

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I mean, with games costing $100 million or more to create now a days, we've reached that point where making a profit off software is becoming harder and harder. So yeah, taking a chance on a game that has a much higher chance of reaching profit overtime is the obvious choice even when it too is beginning to fail.

Really only Nintendo and Japanese third parties can get away with taking a chance on single player games. Choosing proprietary in house engines, less focus on pushing technology and keeping budgets down.
Pretty much this. Making the required profit to satisfy companies is getting harder to achieve with AAA budgets.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
I wish just once people could get past the fact shes a girl and listen to what she says. Some of yall never seen a woman before?

Games take way too long to make, too expensive and people beat them so quick.

Madflavor

Ya know there’s been a lot of “well this was obvious” posts on here, but I’ve see far too many people, especially on Gaf, be guilty of at least one of those talking points. You’re kinda overestimating how many gamers have their finger on the pulse of the industry.

iorek21

Nah, single player games won’t become scarce. Actually, it’s the key to success, really.

As I say time and time again, Fortnite, Warzone and GTA Online already capitalized on the live service market. People are not dropping those for some random copycat like Suicide Squad or whatever.

Single player games are events on itself. BG3 was huge, TotK was huge, Ragnarok, Spiderman, Hogwarts, hell, even smaller stuff like Jedi Survivor got engagement.

Gaming living through the phase that Hollywood was living a couple of years ago: thinking streaming and services were the key. Then came Barbenheimmer and they understood that people are willing to go to the cinema if the movie’s good.

Same thing will happen for gaming: they’ll fail and fail at live service stuff until something like BG3 comes out and wipes the floor.

ShadowNate

1. Make a Fun game.
2. Gameplay is King.
3. Art direction is more important then graphics.
4. Dont make woke shit.
5. Stop making gaas.
6. Stop seasson passes everywhere.
7. Respect your custumer.
8. Be fair with your mtx prices.
Kind of seems that Hi-Fi Rush meets all of the above and the studio still got axed.

tmlDan

That is an objective truth. Those businesses exist in a world where capitalism is the leading economic/political system. Their success and failure is the result of the benefits and downfalls of capitalism. The end goal of capitalism is profit for whoever owns the product or service.

Although not stated explicitly, the Publishing Director of Larian followed a similar thread last month when talking about layoffs. This is also not just a games industry, but in tech as a whole right now.

Microsoft, Take-Two, Google, etc are posting record profits, approving higher and higher compensation packages for their CEOs, yet they're laying off hundreds, or thousands of employees.

The reason is they're prioritizing profits over the people who are working to generate those profits for them or the products that generate those profits. I personally know of 2 companies that laid off hundreds of workers in Q2 FY24 so they could bring their operating costs below amount that would make the overall end of year numbers look better for investors. Both those companies have not only hired back the number of people they laid off, but one of them has actually hired more than they laid off.
I am of the firm belief that capitalism is not the flaw, humans are. The constant need for growth is not necessary, companies don't have to go public and be traded on the stock market. Humanities inherent greed is the problem, not capitalism.

I didn't elaborate in my original post but to just casually blame a system set up to grow only if there is a need/want amongst society is not the primary issue.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Saw it yesterday and I 100% agree with her. It's fuckin' sad.

There has to be a way to get rid of the publishers alltogether and open some kind of independent and private company which won't be answering to shareholders and such (I know, but it is the only way to at least try and fix the situation we're in right now), cuz that's the main problem here - fuckin' capitalism and greed, they don't care about video games and people behind them at all.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Maybe we start with making games cheaper and smaller in terms of gameplay. Growing up I played many great games that I spent endless hours on trying to get high scores on. Now games are 28-40hrs of fetch quest and drawn out stories. Sell games at 29.99 and have them be 10-15 hours experiences. If it sells make a sequel. Reduces development/ allows more creative opportunities, allows more risk /

Look guys, we can shit on corpos all we want, how they ruined gaming etc but ever since this new generation of consoles, 80% of games are mediocre. PS4 era I can not even count how many games pleasantly surprised me and kept me going all night long. Now I turn on my new consoles and im like....urgh lets finish this level. Not saying the games are bad, they are ALL just safe. Everyone makes open worlds, bloat the hell out of them, sidequests are an afterthought with fetch me quests to prolong the length etc.

Lets take Redfall for example. Sure its corpos fault for pushing them to release it before its ready but as a whole...who thought another horde shooter is some game changer. Left For Dead did that in 2008. Every other game in the same genre is a copy of acopy of a copy. It was a shit game design anyway, Redfall without bugs would still be a mediocre, another of 100+ same gameplay titles. If studios actually made really good games, they wouldnt be shutting down left and right.

Again someone will say but its the corpos that are making them do this, be safe. Ok but what about the 2000s. NFS and COD were coming out even then every year; Hot Pursuit 2, Underground 1, Underground 2, Most Wanted, Carbon....all these games had at best 9 months development time, they were being pushed to put out a new game no matter what annualy. But obviously there was some imagination and passion to make the listed games as well as COD titles from that era fun and mega sellers. Theres no passion, its copy paste and as I sadi, mediocre games keep coming out and people wonder why it doesnt sell. Greedy higher ups always existed but the crap we get now is not even close to what people used to put out in a shorter amount of time.

Ill go back to NFS....they now have 2-3 years before the next title and those games are still SHIT. Souleless. Not to mention they use the same engine for like 10 years so its not like games are bigger and require more time because they are making everything from the ground up again..they have all the tools, just need new setting and story. But its all shit.

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
I am of the firm belief that capitalism is not the flaw, humans are. The constant need for growth is not necessary, companies don't have to go public and be traded on the stock market. Humanities inherent greed is the problem, not capitalism.

I didn't elaborate in my original post but to just casually blame a system set up to grow only if there is a need/want amongst society is not the primary issue.
The constant need for growth is because they're trying to generate more revenue to turn higher profits. Companies go public to increase their value and their access to capital so they can generate more revenue and turn higher profits. The whole point of capitalism is to generate profits. That is how businesses owned by private individual(s) operate in a capitalist economic system.

I'm not arguing that greed is not a problem or a factor. It certainly is. But the mechanism that makes this all operate is our economic system.

Having said that, I feel it's important to note that I am not against capitalism.

Top Bottom