• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Airlines get permission to fly over North Pole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.independent.co.uk/travel...s-cleared-to-use-santas-shortcut-6281263.html

Hard-pressed airlines have been handed the perfect Christmas present: permission to fly twin-jet aircraft over the North Pole, saving millions on fuel costs, opening up new destinations and reducing damage to the environment.

The easing of rules about how close twin-jets must keep to diversion airports means faster, cheaper and cleaner flights.

Until now, America's aviation regulators have insisted that the nearest suitable place to land must be no more than three hours away. That has now been extended to five-and-a-half hours – so long as the airline meets a series of criteria, from additional equipment to special training.

As a result, Boeing 777 and 787 "Dreamliner" twin jets will be able to fly almost anywhere in the world. A patch of territory in Antarctica remains inaccessible. But "Santa's short cut," as the route has been called, gives a green light to flights from Britain straight across the North Pole to Pacific islands that are currently off the route map.

For full graphic click here.

Sir Richard Branson, president of Virgin Atlantic, told The Independent: "This new development really does open up a whole new world and will allow us to take our Dreamliners to more exciting and exotic places. Our new fleet of 787s could well be flying to Honolulu or even Fiji one day." Fiji straddles the 180-degree line of latitude, and the most direct track passes directly over the North Pole – though because of the distance, over 10,000 miles, the payload would need to be restricted. The new policy could also make no-non-stop routes to Tahiti in the South Pacific and Anchorage in Alaska viable.

Twin-jets have always faced tight rules on how far they can stray from a diversion airport, with good reason: the failure of one engine is potentially much more serious than for a three- or four-jet aircraft. The default is that twin-jets must be able to reach a suitable diversion airport within an hour's flying time on a single engine. The worst-case scenario assumes depressurisation as well as the failure of one engine, requiring the aircraft to stay low. This implies a distance of 400-450 miles. The rules oblige pilots to fly circuitous routes that waste time and fuel, and render many trans-oceanic trips impossible for twin-engined aircraft.

To venture more than 60 minutes away requires "ETOPS" certification. The term derives from "Extended Twin-jet Operations over water", though a common joke in aviation circles is that it really stands for "Engines Turn Or Passengers Swim". The aircraft and engine makers must convince regulators that it is safe to fly further away from a safe haven. Many twin-jets are certified for 120-minute ETOPS, while British Airways' entire Boeing 777 fleet is ETOPS-180 compliant – so the planes face few restrictions across the Atlantic.

But routes across the North Pole, as well as many trans-Pacific journeys, have hitherto been out-of-bounds.

Larry Loftis, general manager of Boeing's 777 programme said: "This is the logical continuation of the Boeing philosophy of point-to-point service. Passengers want to minimise their overall travel time."

The first airline to take advantage of the relaxed restrictions is Air New Zealand, which operates across the Pacific. The airline's chief pilot, Captain David Morgan, said: "Less fuel is burned and less carbon dioxide is emitted into the atmosphere. It's also good for customers."

The Boeing 787 is expected soon to be ETOPS-330 certified, with Airbus seeking the same for its big twin jet – coincidentally named the A330.

Not everyone in aviation is happy with the relaxation of restrictions. While it is generally accepted that dual engine failure is extremely unlikely, some safety experts express concern about cabin conditions during a diversion.

One safety manager, who wished to remain anonymous, said: "It's all very well being able to make a safe landing, but passengers are likely to be distraught and extremely cold after a five-hour diversion to an airstrip in the Arctic."

But a spokesman for the British Airline Pilots' Association said: "Our members are confident that the safety case for equipment redundancy, pilot training and passenger welfare will be fully satisfied."

And Sir Richard Branson looked forward to new sightseeing opportunities: "Apart from the stunning destinations on arrival, the Arctic scenery will be just amazing on the way."
uDmXr.jpg

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
would be awesome especially since that 24 hours probably isn't accounting for layover time as well?

The first time this goes wrong it's going to be a pretty shitty death though. crash plus eaten by polar bears = sux day.

LQX

What if a plane hits Santa or crashes into Santa's village? Who will deliver gifts forever?

Emwitus

"FASTER, CHEAPER AND CLEANER FLIGHTS"
I was looking for safer :( are the airlines now confident enough with their planes to move them away from diversion airports? Their hasn't been any major innovation in the aviation industry in regard to fail safes for passengers in decades. Plane goes down...survival rate is crap.

Chuckie

I read that as Aliens get permission to fly over North Pole.

Too many Alien(s) threads.. being all hyped over Prometheus doesn't help either.

would be awesome especially since that 24 hours probably isn't accounting for layover time as well?

The first time this goes wrong it's going to be a pretty shitty death though. crash plus eaten by polar bears = sux day.

I wouldn't worry about it, you probably wouldn't survive the crash

And if you did you'd freeze to death before the polar bears or sea lions get ya

bengraven

The only thing different between a crash in the Arctic and a crash anywhere else is how difficult cleanup will be.

Can't wait for LOST II: ARCTIC EDITION.

There's be loads of Arctic animals like pola- wait, never mind

Snakes.

Speaking of which, there wasn't a single fucking snake on Lost. I know it was filmed in Hawaii, but the show wasn't set in Hawaii. Besides, Hawaii now has thousands of introduced species.

daw840

I was looking for safer :( are the airlines now confident enough with their planes to move them away from diversion airports? Their hasn't been any major innovation in the aviation industry in regard to fail safes for passengers in decades. Plane goes down...survival rate is crap.

Still by far the safest method of travel.

ShinNL

If you crash you die anyway and the chance to crash is about the same as getting struck by lightning. Yay for shortcuts.

Emwitus

Still by far the safest method of travel.
My issue isn't the ratio of accidents compared to other means of transport.it's the survival rate from a crush.also the ability of airlines too look for survivors if the plane goes down over the north pole.

daw840

My issue isn't the ratio of accidents compared to other means of transport.it's the survival rate from a crush.also the ability of airlines too look for survivors if the plane goes down over the north pole.

But the odds of you even being in a accident in a plane is so much less than any other method that it's still safer.

Emwitus

Daw840, I'm asking why hasn't their been any innovation on ways to survive a plane crash not the safeness of flying, for lack of better word, from point a to b. But i guess it's more of a nasa type area of expertise.

daw840

Daw840, I'm asking why hasn't their been any innovation on ways to survive a plane crash not the safeness of flying, for lack of better word, from point a to b. But i guess it's more of a nasa type area of expertise.

Probably because your traveling at ~700 mph? I know that strides have been made to make them safer by making sure that they don't crash, but a crash is still a death sentence basically.

Is there enough solid ice for a plane to stage a successful emergency landing at the North Pole? Make for a hell of a story.

daw840

Is there enough solid ice for a plane to stage a successful emergency landing at the North Pole? Make for a hell of a story.

Probably, but what the hell would you do once you were down? I doubt anyone on the plane would be equipped to survive more than the daylight hours in the arctic.

Why don't they just make the plane out of that black box material, huh? seinfeld.gif

I thought this was going to be a cute story about airline pilots asking Santa for permission to fly on Christmas Eve.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Can't wait for the second version of Lost, on a cold island. Luckily everyone will die within the first season, so I won't feel unfulfilled.

jvalioli

Making a crash safer is almost impossible. Preventing crashes makes so much more sense.

Asbel

I'd be more concern about your fellow hungry passengers. Better eat them before they eat you. Just to be safe, of course. Not because they're delicious.

Cast Away notwithstanding, why don't FedEx/UPS planes crash that often? Not to say that passenger planes fall out of the sky willy-nilly, but I don't recall hearing about package delivery plane failures.

Cast Away notwithstanding, why don't FedEx/UPS planes crash that often? Not to say that passenger planes fall out of the sky willy-nilly, but I don't recall hearing about package delivery plane failures.

They might happen weekly, but its not news worthy, so we dont hear about it.

Like how a small plane crashes every day, but the only time you hear about it is under the following scenario:

1) Youre local to the crash
2) News cycle. IE: 737 crashes (big news), rest of week follows with stories of small plane crashes (cries of people saying WTF is happening!!!)

Shorty

Banned
This sounds like a new Christmas movie. Airplane pilot accidentally hits Santa and must deliver all the gifts.
put in some cheesy muslim extremists who want to stop him, make it R rated and intentionally bad ala hobo with a shotgun and I'm so IN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom