• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Hardware Ah shit: Intel CEO says chip shortage could last until 2023

Kenpachii

Mar 23, 2018
? This obviously flew above your head. Sorry.

Edit: Thought I needed some backround info here obviously... You can't just give your contract's to others when China is sitting on over 90% of the minerals needed to make said chips. On some minerals they even have monopoly. Please do some reading, it's not hard.

Highly doubt that only one place those minerals can be found and its located in china. And even if that's the case. its time to start investing into alternative technology. Or start controlling china.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Mar 8, 2021
Thank god console using AMD chips

Meme Puppy GIF by Shibetoshi Nakamoto

Reactions: jaysius

RaySoft

May 31, 2013
Oslo, Norway
Highly doubt that only one place those minerals can be found and its located in china. And even if that's the case. its time to start investing into alternative technology. Or start controlling

Highly doubt that only one place those minerals can be found and its located in china. And even if that's the case. its time to start investing into alternative technology. Or start controlling china.
I had a funny repore here, but it's probaly not a good point. PLEASE educate yoursef instead of feeding of what you might be told otherwise.
For starters: US isn't the naval of the world.
Second: It dosent matter WHERE the minerals are situated, only WHO owns them.

Kenpachii

Mar 23, 2018
I had a funny repore here, but it's probaly not a good point. PLEASE educate yoursef instead of feeding of what you might be told otherwise.
For starters: US isn't the naval of the world.
Second: It dosent matter WHERE the minerals are situated, only WHO owns them.

This is where i base my reaction on.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/17/the-new-us-plan-to-rival-chinas-dominance-in-rare-earth-metals.html

Unless they are talking about different materials used in those chips, link me the names of what is used in those chips. So i can see how "right" you are. Because so far it sounds like utter bullshit that china "owns" all those mines on the planet and are the only ones able to mine it.

it sounds to me more like, the west doesn't give 2 flying fucks much like what that article i linked above says because china is cheaper and frankly that's a non issue. Unless china makes it a issue and boom the next day there monopoly is gone as people just mine and refine it themselves at that point.

So based on that article.

Moving production to the west and mining infastructure = problem solved.

Last edited:
Reactions: Swoopsail
Mar 7, 2017
This would be true if there was actually a supply shortage.

That's not the case. The problem in the semiconductor industry is one of massively over-inflated demand, due to customers panic buying to secure their place in the queue and shore up their supply chain.

The fabs like TSMC and co have to get the bigger customers to revise down their orders so that they reflect more realistic demand, and then push the smaller customers to do the same. It's not an easy problem to tackle, however, because everyone is overprotective of their spot.

It's basically the same thing that happened at the beginning of the pandemic lockdown with toilet paper, but instead of everyday people panic buying, it's corporations, and instead of toilet roll and kitchen towels, it's semiconductor products.

Reactions: kuncol02

Swoopsail

Apr 18, 2021
This would be true if there was actually a supply shortage.

That's not the case. The problem in the semiconductor industry is one of massively over-inflated demand, due to customers panic buying to secure their place in the queue and shore up their supply chain.

The fabs like TSMC and co have to get the bigger customers to revise down their orders so that they reflect more realistic demand, and then push the smaller customers to do the same. It's not an easy problem to tackle, however, because everyone is overprotective of their spot.

It's basically the same thing that happened at the beginning of the pandemic lockdown with toilet paper, but instead of everyday people panic buying, it's corporations, and instead of toilet roll and kitchen towels, it's semiconductor products.
Very interesting. While that problem is annoying, I guess I would be relieved to hear that there isn't actually some kind of global resource shortage for computer materials; especially as a gamer.

Jan 25, 2021
Hope these past couple years have waken people up specifically CEO's, wall street ass hats, that reliance on China is not good. We use to have Texas Instruments making cpu's for server's and company's back in the day. IBM Use to make their own stuff.

I mean with how automated fabrication is now, I see no reason to rely on china for chip manufacturing. It can be done in people's country's especially USA. We just have to many rich assholes who would rather use China. When with all the cost saving of not having to import or give breaks to China we could make a lot of these in house.
Don't bet on it. They would sell the oxygen out of your lungs to make a quick buck. Sociopaths are running the world.