• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After many years of not being interested in VR, I gotta say trying it for a few hours has sold me on it

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I got my Son a Oculus Quest 2 for xmas and finally had a chance to put a few hours in and I have to say its really impressive, so far I tried

• Half Life Alyx - Which was fantastic, I bought this on sale a while ago for the No VR mod, but needed to try it in VR first, loved every second of it to the point that I may have to actually complete it
  • Super VR - a showcase game and a great one at that
  • Vader Immortal - Finally being able to Wield a Lightsaber is so damned cool
  • Batman: Arkham VR - Surprisingly good and more depth to it that I thought, I thought it was a demo ish game at first but nope its a fully fledged game
Ugh, I'm gonna have to invest in a Quest 3 this year I think,

Welcome to the VR world. Hope you enjoy your stay!

MarkMe2525

Same thing happened to me. I tried out my nephew's Quest 2 on Christmas day and ran out to get a Quest 3 the next day. I'm so happy with my purchase too. Virtual Desktop is awesome for untethered PC VR, so I feel like I have the best of both worlds with the Quest 3. Also... someone hit me up for a referral. I want that $60 credit. Haha.
Heads up, any referrals after December award $30 for both parties. The $60 credit was a December promotion.

ZoukGalaxy

People have a strange natural anti-VR behavior until they try *for real* and stop saying "it's like 3D".

No, AT ALL.

Season 6 Vr GIF by Warner Archive

MarkMe2525

Poop. I thought the $60 was for the Quest 3 and $30 for the Quest 2.
That was the case, and who knows if they decide to extend the offer. It was originally advertised as a December only thing though.

SEGAvangelist SEGAvangelist I added two screengrabs and they both describe it differently. The front page mentions December but that language is not carried over into the more detailed description.
xf17R2n.jpg
nHHY0Q7.jpg

Last edited:

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
That was the case, and who knows if they decide to extend the offer. It was originally advertised as a December only thing though.

SEGAvangelist SEGAvangelist I added two screengrabs and they both describe it differently. The front page mentions December but that language is not carried over into the more detailed description.
xf17R2n.jpg
nHHY0Q7.jpg
Cool. Find someone for me to send a referral to, and then I'll let you know how much I get. :)

MAX PAYMENT

I haven't had many experiences that wowed me. All the games I've played remind me of old demo discs. Bite sized experiences.

Damigos

In the UK I have never seen anywhere in the shops where you can try it.

The alternative is to buy it and then return it ?
In Greece too, there is no place to try it. Not; sure if you can return it since its something you “wear”

Vlodril

In Greece too, there is no place to try it. Not; sure if you can return it since its something you “wear”

I think you can buy it and return it within 14 days no questions asked. The weird thing about it here though is that the Sony store i bought it from made it a point to mention the guarantee is only 1 year and not 2 as usual.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Unfortunately the lack of consistent high quality game releases kills off your VR love once the novelty wears off.

My PSVR2 and Quest 2 gather dust most of the time, until they finally put something worthwhile out.

Last edited:

elbourreau

I’ve said it a million times, if you think VR is a gimmick or a fad you probably haven’t tried it yet. It’s the real deal. It’s a real leap forward for games. Now whether it actually delivers long term and becomes a sustainable part of it is a different question.
This. SO MUCH this.

Hes Right GIF by MOODMAN

Ozzie666

For your son.. sure ;)

I still remember enjoying Blood and Truth and PSVR, really felt VR had a chance beyond games like Rez, Tretris and Beat Sabre. I wish they could increase the user base and AAA type titles. The only thing holding me back from PSV2, is Sony and the feeling it's already dead like the poor Vita.

Last edited:

GymWolf

My theory about people who doesn't like vr is that they tried a sweaty demo vr headset in some mall or a shit vr headset that use smartphones as screen or some terrible demo/software.

When they properly try vr with a clean, non-wet high end headset, with proper softwares and demo, it's incredibly hard not to like it unless you have very weak vr legs/stomach.

I turned dozens of people just with the old trex demo or skyscraper demo when you look down from and high place on the old oculus rift...

Last edited:

SCB3

My theory about people who doesn't like vr is that they tried a sweaty demo vr headset in some mall or a shit vr headset that use smartphones as screen or some terrible demo/software.

When they properly try vr with a clean, non-wet high end headset, with proper softwares and demo, it's incredibly hard not to like it unless you have very weak vr legs/stomach.

I turned dozens of people just with the old trex demo or skyscraper demo when you look down from and high place on the old oculus rift...
Theres a lot of truth to that, I've seen people say VR doesn't work but then they use google Cardboard with some weird tech demo that only half works

Klik

Try also Eleven Table tennis, its amazing(buy it rather through Quest store).

Also simracing games are a game changer in VR. I went from triple monitor to VR for simracing and its best decision ive done

Techies

If you are on pc have a big library of games, don't get UEVR.

It really messes up your sleep schedule. I've reach the point where I have Tekken characters fighting in my living room.

Ar¢tos

I'm jealous....
After 1 year of saving for the PSVR2, when I finally have the money for it, it's basically sold out everywhere (not because of high demand, because Sony for whatever reason isn't shipping it to retailers). The few stores that have stock have increase the prices to 700+€ and the only normal price alternative is PS Direct.
I wanted to buy in one of the big retailers for the extra warranty options. So I'm screwed until Sony gets their shit together.
Maybe a new hardware revision is coming?

MetalRain

First few times are amazing, real world feels different after long session in VR.

However many techniques in game development don't quite fit VR games, you see so much better how many volumetric effects are faked and billboards are everywhere. Handtracking is shaky, movement causes nausea.

You feel like there is this new possibility that is hampered by limits of your playspace, your body, VR technology and business opportunities. You have to suspend your disbelief to really immerse yourself into experiences you can enjoy.

Three

I’m shocked that MS hasn’t wanted to partner up with Meta yet, and use it for VR on the Xbox consoles.
You in the thread "was xbox right to drop its VR plans for xbox":
I’m sure I’ve replied to this already, but I’ll say it again, YES.

VR is cool, but not worth the price of admission, at this point.
I guess they just did the old "we're listening" to their fans.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Just dont go assaulting anyone verbally in the virtual world my friend... thats equal to rape in the real world some would say.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The thing is that those games you listed are it and have been the only good games for a long time.

I would buy a quest 3 today if someone would make like a Sherlock Holmes game or a kings quest, but no you will take carnival game #1334433 and that’s it!

Crayon

It will blow away just about anyone for an initial period. Sometimes a month. After that, there is a whole different side of it to appreciate but a lot of people don't stick with it. If you do appreciate it as an input/output method after the shock wears off, you will stick with it and it's fucking great. Racing games are the best example where playing them on a tv feels like a straight up waste of time compared to vr. Then of course horror games. But things like astrobot and beat saber show that it can enhance unlikely genres.

tr1p1ex

I’ve said it a million times, if you think VR is a gimmick or a fad you probably haven’t tried it yet. It’s the real deal. It’s a real leap forward for games. Now whether it actually delivers long term and becomes a sustainable part of it is a different question.
yes and no. there's definitely something new the tech brings and that seems to be... presence.

But a lot of today's games don't translate over to VR very well at all. Because a lot of the appeal of gaming is sitting on your couch and not moving. And doing a lot of stuff fast and quick. I mean when I play shooters I constantly am turning around and looking around. And that just doesn't suit VR. It needs new designs.

And even then...there is a tradeoff to playing VR. You have a box on your face. It makes many a bit queasy or uncomfortable. You are even more shutoff from the world around you. IT is less appealing to watch a friend or family member play VR. ...

And I think this translates to what the data is showing (WSJ article citing internal Meta documents) and that's that a lot of people shelve the thing after the honeymoon period wears off.

I think it might need to sneak into households to truly take off. LIke Nintendo could sneak it into the next Switch. Lab VR on the Switch was a proof of concept. Purists will argue specs this and that about this example. But use your imagination a bit and realize that it would basically be free on top of getting the next Switch.

Or another example. IT replaces a computer screen or tv in households. If they made these things super good at that. Total comfort and ease of use. Then VR gaming sneaks into households.

AT least this is how I feel about it. That if they can sneak it into my household then I would play some.

don't really want to cough up $500 for Q3. Or PSVR2. etc.

I would probably be into renting one. Like I rented an N64 back in the day at Blockbuster to play Duke Nukem N64 to scratch my itch while waiting for DN2 to come out which of course it never really did. But I rented one because I didn't really want to buy a console. Just wanted a glass of milk. I didn't want to own the cow.

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
PSVR sold me on it as well. I could tell this was gonna be big going forward.

Then I found that after the initial wow factor faded, when I wanted to play something, I never booted up VR. Something about the set up, wires, etc would put me off every time. Also, a lot of VR games are about some kind of experience. You can walk under Godzilla! You can pilot a jet! Most games aren't deep. It got old.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

I think for some people 3d vision just isn't as important to their perception of something as 'real'. For me it's like a PS2 to PS5 level jump in graphics just having that depth perception and sense of scale. In regular games when a boss is huge I never really get that sense, and if they zoom out it just feels like my character shrunk. For others I think they rely more on visual clues to get that sense of depth, like if you close one eye you don't lose all sense of depth or scale because you can still interpolate a lot of information from your viewpoint, shadows etc.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Unfortunately the lack of consistent high quality game releases kills off your VR love once the novelty wears off.

My PSVR2 and Quest 2 gather dust most of the time, until they finally put something worthwhile out.
IMO it's not as bad as you described. Not in 2024 and not for new-comer.
Slowly but VR library of awesome games is increasing. Now imagine someone who just got started with VR? It's very roughly 10-25 must-play VR titles for him to play. And you can choose your platform too - PCVR or PSVR2. Both of those have their strengths and weaknesses in hardware and software. PSVR2 is super-easy to use and have excellent exclusives - if you have PS5 it's an great option. PCVR (Quest 3) on other side have mods and that's another universe. Also Quest 3 is good without PC too!

TrebleShot

If I didn’t already own a PS5 and PSVR2 I’d definitely get a Quest 3. In fact, if a few more decent looking exclusives come out for it, I might pick one up anyway. I still love standard gaming, but I can’t imagine being without VR now.
That’s what I did and the quest is much much better

Hot5pur

VR is amazing but there are many hurdles depending on how deep the rabbit hole you want to go.
Meta just stopped being stupid and pushed everything to the mobile platform, no fiddling with multiple devices and cables.
Graphics in VR are less important than in 2D. Shit just feels alive and immersive even if it's some basic models.
There is far more of a learning curve in VR to be able to play everything (like getting VR legs, accessorizing, extending battery life, etc), so don't give up cuz it's so worth it. I barely think about pancake games anymore.

Wonko_C

I got my Son a Oculus Quest 2 for xmas and finally had a chance to put a few hours in and I have to say its really impressive, so far I tried

• Half Life Alyx - Which was fantastic, I bought this on sale a while ago for the No VR mod, but needed to try it in VR first, loved every second of it to the point that I may have to actually complete it
  • Super VR - a showcase game and a great one at that
  • Vader Immortal - Finally being able to Wield a Lightsaber is so damned cool
  • Batman: Arkham VR - Surprisingly good and more depth to it that I thought, I thought it was a demo ish game at first but nope its a fully fledged game
Ugh, I'm gonna have to invest in a Quest 3 this year I think,
I wanna hear the "previously not interested" part. What were your expectations of VR and why weren't you interested before? What did you imagine it was like? Did you try some form of VR previously?

I say that because I kind of was in the same boat until late 2017 (Meh, VR is a gimmick) until I tried cardboard, then had my own PSVR1. I haven't looked back since.

SCB3

I wanna hear the "previously not interested" part. What were your expectations of VR and why weren't you interested before? What did you imagine it was like? Did you try some form of VR previously?

I say that because I kind of was in the same boat until late 2017 (Meh, VR is a gimmick) until I tried cardboard, then had my own PSVR1. I haven't looked back since.
I tired a PSVR (the first one) with a few games and it was fine but felt very much a gimmick that I thought was at its limit so pretty much ignored it until I saw the Oculus Quest 2 and people were saying how good it was

My son was asking for one for ages and yea he loves it so have it another look and yea it sold me on it

MarkMe2525

Cool. Find someone for me to send a referral to, and then I'll let you know how much I get. :)
So someone used my link and I got $60 this morning. I looked into the "tos" and the $60 offer is good until January 7th. So you have 2 days to get hustling for that double store credit.

Svejk

If you got the legs/stomach for it, it really is the future of gaming.

Now, If only PS ported Astrobot to PC, more folks would understand how irrelevant Mario is in the 3D platforming realm. Astrobot for LIFE.

Ar¢tos

If you got the legs/stomach for it, it really is the future of gaming.

Now, If only PS ported Astrobot to PC, more folks would understand how irrelevant Mario is in the 3D platforming realm. Astrobot for LIFE.
They haven't even bothered to port it to PSVR2 because it would require remaking the levels that require the DS4 light, so I don't think that will ever happen.

Audiophile

Gold Member
If you want another fun little demo and wanna see how cool 3D movies could look in a virtual cinema on the Quest 2, try this conversion I made of the Avatar: TWOW 3D Teaser Trailer 1 from last year - it makes for a great little showcase for friends and family. I sourced it directly from a DCP from the cinema and encoded it at incredibly high quality. It'll require the Skybox VR app for optimum playback which is a few quid on the store if I remember right. Plus you'll have to directly copy the mkv video file to the headset's video folder via USB.

There's a text file in the folder with it, which has some instructions lower down for proper playback:

LINKY McLINK LINK

I'll leave it uploaded for a few days if anyone wants to try it.

Top Bottom