• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After many years of not being interested in VR, I gotta say trying it for a few hours has sold me on it

SCB3

I got my Son a Oculus Quest 2 for xmas and finally had a chance to put a few hours in and I have to say its really impressive, so far I tried

• Half Life Alyx - Which was fantastic, I bought this on sale a while ago for the No VR mod, but needed to try it in VR first, loved every second of it to the point that I may have to actually complete it
  • Super VR - a showcase game and a great one at that
  • Vader Immortal - Finally being able to Wield a Lightsaber is so damned cool
  • Batman: Arkham VR - Surprisingly good and more depth to it that I thought, I thought it was a demo ish game at first but nope its a fully fledged game
Ugh, I'm gonna have to invest in a Quest 3 this year I think,

Chukhopops

Quest 3 feels like the first “mass market ready” VR headset, compared to the Rift and Rift S. Really impressed with it.

Only flaw left is the battery life which is kinda shit.

Minsc

Gold Member
Nice! VR is a lot of fun, and definitely puts a new spin on a lot of genres. The game that natively is going to show off just the full extent of the device is definitely AW2.

If you do jump to a Quest 3, it's a pretty huge improvement, you can think of it like going from a single composite cable to a component cable or HDMI cable in terms of how much better the image looks. Even your PC VR stuff will be massively clearer, and much more impressive, including Alyx!

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Same thing happened to me. I tried out my nephew's Quest 2 on Christmas day and ran out to get a Quest 3 the next day. I'm so happy with my purchase too. Virtual Desktop is awesome for untethered PC VR, so I feel like I have the best of both worlds with the Quest 3. Also... someone hit me up for a referral. I want that $60 credit. Haha.

A couple of days ago I put the headset on and when Alyx loaded I had a couple seconds of thinking "Woah, I'm in a different world". This has never happened before to me, not even with Alyx, and I've had like 5 different HMDs

VR is finally reaching the sweet spot and we're here to witness it boys

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Just use your son's. You'll probably regret buying your own if you already have access to one.

Finish Alyx and play some Beat Sabre and you've already played the two by-far best experiences available. There's tons of other cool shit, but nothing close to those.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
i think the first few hours always going to be impressive.

...because the tech is cool.

Not so sure that it's there yet for the longer run.
If you are in to sim type experiences it will definitely last for a long time. If you like story driven type games I can see it losing its luster, except with praydogs UE injector PCVR just opened up a while lot of new games.

SCB3

Just use your son's. You'll probably regret buying your own if you already have access to one.

Finish Alyx and play some Beat Sabre and you've already played the two by-far best experiences available. There's tons of other cool shit, but nothing close to those.
Beat Saber seems like a lot of fun, I am planning on grabbing Star Trek Bridge Crew as well as its on a good sale til the end of the month

SCB3

i think the first few hours always going to be impressive.

...because the tech is cool.

Not so sure that it's there yet for the longer run.
I'm ok with smaller compact experiences on it for the moment, I don't think a full length 40 hour game would be the same for me, Asura's Wrath seems like a good time but its like that apparently

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I played it and loved it, I just haven't invested in it. I have thought about it though. I want to play HL Alyx.

poppabk

Nah.
Asseto Corsa no hesi in VR with a wheel eclipses those easy. Just driving down a highway weaving in and out of traffic like you want to in real life. Flight Sim using a stick or just the motion controls is sublime. Beamng.drive - a driving sandbox with enough mods to keep you busy forever. Half Life 2 itself is pretty close to Alyx in my opinion, the focus on physics and environmental story telling makes it an excellent fit for VR.
And that's just scratching the surface of amazing VR, there is still stuff like DCS and then reams of lower budget stuff that are good or great.

Beat Saber seems like a lot of fun, I am planning on grabbing Star Trek Bridge Crew as well as its on a good sale til the end of the month

Star Trek Bridge Crew is awesome with a couple of others playing coop, can also be played without VR if you have friends interested

Quest 3 feels like the first “mass market ready” VR headset, compared to the Rift and Rift S. Really impressed with it.

Only flaw left is the battery life which is kinda shit.

Battery life is annoyingly short. I pretty much just use it wired to my PC and it still drains before I'm ready to put the headset down.

Is the Quest still limited to the Meta ecosystem or can you use it freely and do what you want with it? Steam games? Third party platforms? Non-Meta software?

Last edited:

Bry0

If you are in to sim type experiences it will definitely last for a long time. If you like story driven type games I can see it losing its luster, except with praydogs UE injector PCVR just opened up a while lot of new games.
Yeah a good racing wheel and seat and VR for racing sims is a special kind of experience. There is nothing quite like it.

mortal

Gold Member
VR is very much a "you have to play to truly get it".
One of the downsides of trying to market VR via conventional platforms, I suppose.

There are a lot of unique ideas in the VR space, but quality is all over the place. Having more titles of the quality of Alyx and beyond would be pretty cool.
You'd think Sony would be the ones to invest more 1st party efforts into AAA VR experiences, but that hasn't been the case, besides a couple of instances.
That isn't to downplay or be demissive of the output from the devs currently in the VR space, but it would increase interest.

poppabk

It’s never been limited to Meta ecosystem, you’ve been able to hook up a cord to it and play SteamVR etc. since the beginning.
Yeah I bet they wish they could backtrack on that - but it's kinda too late now.

Yeah it’s good. I only use it for GT7, and the novel of other experiences hasn’t grabbed me. Maybe it is because I’m tethered, but the ease of hopping into GT7 and the hours in VR have proven the tech to me.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Yeah I bet they wish they could backtrack on that - but it's kinda too late now.
Eh I think it’s actually a big strength for the hardware. It’s very convenient to buy games on Meta and they have great games but you also get access to PC exclusives. If there are options for both I would rather buy the Meta version because it’s standalone.

Caio

I'm loving my Quest 3, playing Asgard's Wrath 2, fantastic Game. My first experience with VR, and I must say I'm sold, completely owned. My young son is playing SuperHot, and he's having a blast. I also bought Red Matter 2, which I will play after Asgard. The level of immersion is fantastic, I'm becoming addicted.

SilentUser

Nice and welcome! I love VR and that initial feeling of awe never faded away for me. I game a lot more on PSVR2 than flat as I simply prefer VR titles in general, it feels like it truly is the future of gaming.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Sounds like the majority of VR users, lol. Once you try it with an open mind, you’re sold. Now if only the big 3 made it easier/cheaper to get VR in gamers hands, we’d be on to something.

GHG

Personally I don't understand why someone wouldn't be interested in VR without at least trying it with some good games first.

It's really something that you need to experience first hand in order to figure out whether or not you get on with it.

He should get one for himself as well.

VR is the greatest medium for multiplayer games bar none. I now have a quest 3 and gave my old quest 2 to my wife and it allows us to play multiplayer games together in the same room.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
My 5 year old absolutely loves me playing in VR, especially the mixed reality games. I cast on to the tv and she loves seeing herself on the tv too. She practically begs me to play First Encounters every night after dinner.

SCB3

Personally I don't understand why someone wouldn't be interested in VR without at least trying it with some good games first.

It's really something that you need to experience first hand in order to figure out whether or not you get on with it.
For me its was Price of entry and Price of a decent PC for it, I have a decent PC now (though fucking Remnant 2 says otherwise) and I didn't really wanna shell out over £500 for a PSVR2

Reactions: GHG

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’m shocked that MS hasn’t wanted to partner up with Meta yet, and use it for VR on the Xbox consoles.

SCB3

I’m shocked that MS hasn’t wanted to partner up with Meta yet, and use it for VR on the Xbox consoles.
I mean Game Pass is on it, but yea I think MS got burnt hard with Hololens and decided to just not bother with VR for now

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I mean Game Pass is on it, but yea I think MS got burnt hard with Hololens and decided to just not bother with VR for now
Totally understandable. And game pass on the Quest 3 is fantastic. I’ve only played Fortnite, Starfield and Dead Space. Zero issues.

GHG

For me its was Price of entry and Price of a decent PC for it, I have a decent PC now (though fucking Remnant 2 says otherwise) and I didn't really wanna shell out over £500 for a PSVR2

Gotcha.

Having it in tandem with a PC makes a huge difference IMO, it's the best way to experience VR. If you want to pick up a few other games out before the Steam sale ends I'd suggest the following:

Also, no man's sky in VR is transformative. Try that out if you already have it, if not get it.

poppabk

MS's approach to VR has been super weird. They have third party VR games on PC gamepass that you wouldn't know about unless you look it up on reddit or whatever, then they have Flight Sim which has full VR implementation including motiin controls and hand tracking. Then they have Hellblade, Skyrim, Fallout etc that have VR versions but which aren't available on PC gamepass.
The Series S probably held them back from a deal with Meta to get them 'free' VR on the xbox, but the PC situation is just messed up and arbitrary.

Last edited:

Audiophile

Gold Member
Another underrated little experience is "Oculus First Contact"; it's free on the store and has a great, nostalgic 80s feel.

Ar¢tos

They very likely wanted, but Meta's answer was a big fat NO.
Why would Meta want their headsets working on Xbox?
They make small profit from the sale of hardware and selling games for the headset on Xbox store would give them zero money. Allowing Meta store on Xbox would give MS zero money also and sharing the profit would give them both pennies, so there is little to no motivation for Meta to allow Quest on Xbox.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
They very likely wanted, but Meta's answer was a big fat NO.
Why would Meta want their headsets working on Xbox?
They make small profit from the sale of hardware and selling games for the headset on Xbox store would give them zero money. Allowing Meta store on Xbox would give MS zero money also and sharing the profit would give them both pennies, so there is little to no motivation for Meta to allow Quest on Xbox.
It would be no different from Meta letting pc users use the Quests.

Maybe when MS acquires Meta.

Markio128

If I didn’t already own a PS5 and PSVR2 I’d definitely get a Quest 3. In fact, if a few more decent looking exclusives come out for it, I might pick one up anyway. I still love standard gaming, but I can’t imagine being without VR now.

Top Bottom