• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Games: The Thread

Labolas

Before I start, this isn't a debate about the best action game or the worst one. Just want to have a discussion, talk about, and recommend old, obscure, and new action games that have come or are coming out. From the triple a games to the very small indie titles. This includes character action games to regular old beatemups. To the very old and the up and coming. I feel like there isn't enough of discussion about the smaller games in particular. So let's rock, baby.

dmc3-lets-rock.gif

Since I usually talk about the more popular games of the genre I also wanted to start with some obscure and indie titles.

I remember liking Night Shade for the PS2, quite a bit. It isn't without flaws but I thought it was better than the Shinobi PS2 game.
Nightshade_%28PS2%29_Coverart.png

Does anyone remember the Otogi games? Yeah, before the Souls, this was a thing. On Xbox, it kinda flew under a lot of people's radar, including mine. Known as a pretty hard action game as well
Otogi.png

On the indie side we have... Assault Spy. A game inspired by bigger and more popular franchises like DMC and Bayo. The game is generally well received and is beloved as action game indie darling. Recommend as well.
header.jpg

Others that have been recommend to me:

Let's discuss.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
I keep returning to DMC1, probably wouldn't be a stretch to call it my favorite action game overall. I love the flow of it's combat and how it established many conventions for later action games. The horror atmosphere which is a combination of the scenery and bgm captivates me every time.

Labolas

Yeah, DMC1 is definitely the progenitor of character action games. I can see why someone have that as their favorite of the series or even the genre. As ProgenitorCastle ProgenitorCastle said, the horror aspect really set the mood. But more importantly, despite it showing its age, it still holds up well.

HYDE

Banned
The original Onimusha…I played it a decade after Ninja Gaiden and Black.
Can’t believe how much is ripped off from it. It’s an incredible game as are the 2nd and 3rd entry. MGR: R and Nioh 2 are fantastic fun too.

In a wave of deja vu, this thread reminded me of this indie hack n slasher called Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae!

Some other picks for this thread that I remember fondly are The Wonderful 101, DMC4, MGR, Lollipop Chainsaw, El Shaddai, God Hand, Viewtiful Joe, Onimusha series, and others that have been mentioned already

Last edited:

Labolas

In a wave of deja vu, this thread reminded me of this indie hack n slasher called Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae!

Some other picks for this thread that I remember fondly are The Wonderful 101, DMC4, MGR, Lollipop Chainsaw, El Shaddai, God Hand, Viewtiful Joe, Onimusha series, and others that have been mentioned already
Lol, it's funny because I recently found about that Mitsurugi Kamui as well.

It reminds me of the Onechanebara games. I really liked Origin. It's more slick and streamline version of the other games in the series apparently.

FA88D5699FAA4C01EFE8CC730E9F831730D715C2

stn

In terms of must-play action games, there are a few: Ninja Gaiden Black, Ninja Gaiden 2, Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition, Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition, Shinobi, Onimusha 1-3 & Dawn of Dreams, and Metal Gear Rising.

In terms of hidden gems, I'll add Ninja Blade, Binary Domain, Bujingai, Genji, and Vanquish.

As for recent action games? Wanted: Dead is solid.

Can't go wrong with any of the above. I love the hell out of action games.

Labolas

Talking about up and coming action games:

Stellar Blade is supposed to come out this year (although I wouldn't be surprised if it got pushed back another year.) and arguably the biggest:
f3e11ddcbd2d85b7bc10db73ff88282cefe00629.gifv
856e99d6970bd6eb26b48c53da582ea37e0927b8.gifv

Wo Long Dynasty from Team Ninja is coming out soon in March:

Also looks like FF16 might be stepping into the realm of hack and slash as well considering the fact that the battle director of the game has worked on DMC:
ffxvi-final-fantasy-xvi.gif
iu

On the indie side, we have:

Morbid Metal, which looks pretty decent.
ImpassionedSpiritedIndochinahogdeer-size_restricted.gif

Enenra, which has a demo for people try out.
ezgif.com-gif-maker__6_.gif

Last edited:

KàIRóS

God Hand IMO still has the most fun combat in any action game, not the best, I would give that to DMC5 but this game is just so creative and funny you can't help but feel how much fun the devs had programming it.

pEnxFId.gif

gT2OLci.gif

hKAmaOi.gif

m1XJuzU.jpg

dave_d

I guess I should ask, was Devil's Third any good? Curious since the Wii U shop is closing soon so not much time for me to pick it up if it was.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I guess I should ask, was Devil's Third any good? Curious since the Wii U shop is closing soon so not much time for me to pick it up if it was.
I enjoyed it. Definitely has a few performance issues, and some of the bosses I felt needed another pass on balancing. But I'm very glad I own it since it will disappear. I remember reading Itagaki interviews about how he enjoyed photographing WW2 vehicles and things, and you see some of that fun spirit in the final levels.

No one can recommend it to you since I can't tell if you're part of the 90% of gamers that will hate it and feel like I made you waste your money on indefensible trash. Only you can say if you're part of the 10%.

I'd watch some gameplay.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Lovely thread.

What about Furi? Loved this one for it's gameplay, challenge, visual style and the music.

While talking about visual design, it'd be a crime to skip on El Shaddai.

dave_d

I enjoyed it. Definitely has a few performance issues, and some of the bosses I felt needed another pass on balancing. But I'm very glad I own it since it will disappear. I remember reading Itagaki interviews about how he enjoyed photographing WW2 vehicles and things, and you see some of that fun spirit in the final levels.

No one can recommend it to you since I can't tell if you're part of the 90% of gamers that will hate it and feel like I made you waste your money on indefensible trash. Only you can say if you're part of the 10%.

I'd watch some gameplay.
Worth some looking into. Thanks.

Labolas

Lovely thread.

What about Furi? Loved this one for it's gameplay, challenge, visual style and the music.

While talking about visual design, it'd be a crime to skip on El Shaddai.

Sure, I would throw in Furi into the conversation. The game is dope. I really liked the music. This isn't just a thread about 3rd person character action or hack slash games, this includes stuff titles Furi as well.

Speaking of which, some side scrollers that have piqued my interest:

Icey - a game that came out in 2016. Haven't played it yet but it's on the list.
tumblr_ohvnxy4PNb1u4rawro4_500.gifv
iu

Slave Zero X - a game that was clearly inspired by fighting games like Street Fighter Third Strike and Guilty Gear. This has a lot of mechanics for a side scroller. It has a Strider PS1 feel to it.
03_Killer-Combos.gif
09_Strength-is-Nothing.gif

Awaken Astral Blade - which is supposed to come out this year. It looks fun nonetheless.
%E6%B7%B7%E5%90%88%E5%A4%A7%E6%8B%9B.gif
%E7%8B%BC%E7%8E%8B%E5%A4%A7%E6%8B%9B.gif

Labolas

Has anyone tried out No More Heroes 3 yet? What was the overall consensus on it? Was thinking about getting it.

Also Wo Long has a new demo to try out.

Mr Branding

Have Ultra Age and Soulstice in my wishlist for the longest time but can’t bite just yet. More impressions needed.

Also, great topic, character action in my bread and butter; subbed

Last edited:
One of these days I really, really have to record some footage of NeverDead.

Btw, got my eyes on Dolmen. I'll check it out at some point.

Last edited:

Labolas

Played a bit of this:
A game that has some hentai shit in it but is actually good. The music is enjoyable as well. Very much inspired by Nier Automata. They need to rework some of the enemies and make the boss be less spongey.
action_gif.gif
gif03.gif

I've played an old build of the game but the new update has a new character Susan.

Labolas

Necroing the thread to gush about Assault Spy. What a fucking game. Easily the game to beat when it comes indie character action games. I think that other indie devs need to follow in this game's model. Focus on making your game feel good to play and leave the other superfluous stuff out. The regular enemy mobs are no push over and teaches how to play the game. The bosses are actually fun to play against and are fun to learn.
xCjhAKI.gif
dynamic-action.gif

Top Bottom