• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Absolute firsts in video games

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Delta by Thalamus in 1987 for the C64 featured maybe the first interactive loading screen (mix-e) where you could remix the loading music as the main game loaded.

Wonfenstein a stealth game? Since when? Many mistake the first FPS for doom but Wolfenstein is the real first FPS, I don't think this game has stealth behind its concept, maybe if someone wants to play it in a stealthy way, but like that even GOW can be played in a stealthy way while it is not intentend to be. I don't know about 005, when I google it I get NSFW photos lol.

The first actual stealth game is 005, which was an arcade game made by Sega in 1981: : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18kn6_X1oEM

This game features actual enemy line of sight that the player has to avoid. The original Castle Wolfenstein for the Apple ][ came out only a few months after Sega's game and featured stealth elements as well.

id Software's Wolfenstein 3D does have some stealth elements, but it is not a stealth game. The original design for Wolfenstein 3D was going to be like the original Castle Wolfenstein and was going to be completely stealth based. But id decided to remove those features to make the game straight forward and faster paced. Though, the enemy AI does feature a few elements left in the code that lets the player sneak up behind them if they don't catch you in their line of sight first. Enemies in Wolf 3D would also respond if you fired a gun in their general vicinity, they will even try to find you. Sneaking up on enemies was a feature that was removed from Doom's AI for performance reasons. In Doom, the AI knows where you are at all times if they occupy the same area as you.

Here's a question I had when streaming Medal of Honor: Frontline earlier tonight:

What was the first game featuring firearms where a melee kill is always a one-hit kill when bullets aren't? Like what you see in many first-person shooters.

Dragonseeker

Neo Member
Primal Rage was the first fighting game to show the damage percent after a combo was done

Was Primal Rage also the first fighting game with no usable human characters?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
The reply about Choplifter is correct, the copyright dates on these materials confirm it.

kFPvu7e.jpg

16132801.jpg

16132802.jpg

As computer game to arcade game ports go, Choplifter definitelly trumps Tetris, by around 3 years.

Also, who did make the first arcade version of Tetris and who's arcade board did it run on?

Oh yeah THAT company. It's them again.

;)

As I've said above, the first ever game (home console in this case) to be ported TO the arcades was Cosmic Chasm in 1984

Dash Kappei said:
Oh, btw Cosmic Chasm on the Vectrex for the first home console game to be ported to the arcades in 1984

cosmic.jpg

38195002.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I haven't been able to find a combat racing game before RC Pro Am. Any ideas?

Does combat have to involve weapons, and does racing have to involve passing a finish line?

Otherwise Head-on for sega in 1979 has you trying to avoid an aggressive AI trying to crash into you, or Rally X in 1980 has several cars chasing you, and you have smoke as a defensive 'weapon'

Was Primal Rage also the first fighting game with no usable human characters?

Dino Rex (1992, Arcade) precedes Primal Rage by a couple of years and has only dinosaur characters. Not sure if there's some earlier game as well.

Btw, regarding the first game with an accompanying vocal soundtrack, Deus Ex Machina (1984) had an additional cassette tape with the soundtrack which was synchronized with the gameplay, with instructions when to pause and resume depending on where you are in the game.

flak57

Does combat have to involve weapons, and does racing have to involve passing a finish line?

Otherwise Head-on for sega in 1979 has you trying to avoid an aggressive AI trying to crash into you, or Rally X in 1980 has several cars chasing you, and you have smoke as a defensive 'weapon'

I was thinking more about using items/weapons to impede other racers that are also trying to win the race, basically the umbrella games like Mario Kart and Wipeout fall under (and not games like Spy Hunter, for example).

joeblow

Is Shadow of the Colossus (Sony - 2005) the first character-controlled action game to feature only boss fights and no other subordinates to defeat?

Is Phoenix (Centuri - 1980) the first game with a boss fight?
Edit: Nevermind, dnd had a boss fight in 1975.

flak57

Mach Rider predated it

I wouldn't call Mach Rider a racing game, or games like Space Harrier would be as well!

Edit: At least Yu Suzuki agrees with me, ha! The clock racing thing (endurance mode in Mach Rider) is sort of a grey area in my mind, since we really could call any game with a timer a racing game in that case. The enemies in Mach Rider are basically just obstacles like the goomba's in Mario, and not opponents you are trying to win a race against.

Here's a neat looking one from 89, Deathtrack -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6QFV_2BY6w

Phediuk

I believe Dragon's Lair 3D (Xbox, 2002) was the first console game to output at 1080i.

What was the first PC game to support 1920x1080 or higher, without mods?

scsa

I'd like to know what was the first game that used QTE's.
My first encounter with that element was in God of war, but I am sure it wasn't the first game to do so.

I'd like to know what was the first game that used QTE's.
My first encounter with that element was in God of war, but I am sure it wasn't the first game to do so.

I'm going to say the Dragon's Lair arcade game from 1983, the entire game was just a collection of QTE's. Though Shenmue was the game to coin the phrase "QTE".

Santiako

It's on the OP:

Quick time event: Either Dragon's Lair (arcade, 1983) or Die Hard Arcade (arcade, 1995), depending on definition.

Phediuk

What was the first polygonal game that let the player center the camera behind their character with a single button press?

Phediuk

Frogger (arcade, 1981) was the first game with a dynamic soundtrack.

Edit: actually, Space Invaders (1978) could also be considered a proto-example of dynamic music.

Maligna

Banned
Shenmue was the first (and still the only?) game that was set in the past in the real world that used actual historically accurate weather each day.

Phediuk

Shenmue was the first (and still the only?) game that was set in the past in the real world that used actual historically accurate weather each day.

Strange that they went that far for subtle historical accuracy but then left in blatant anachronisms everywhere.

Phediuk

Oh wait, I can answer the password save question now: it looks like Return of Ishtar (1986) was, at least, the first arcade game to feature one, and preceded all console uses as far as I know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Return_of_Ishtar

Edit: wait, scratch that. Hydlide (Famicom, March 1986) also uses a password save, as Dragon Quest, released in May of the same year.

Another edit: Okay, looks like PC-88 version of Hydlide (1984) also uses a password save. I believe that may be the first, then.

Any games before the US version of Metroid (NES, 1987) that use a password save?

I'd guess that the first game to use a password save would have came from the NES console... Atari 2600 games were just to primitive for such a feature and early home computers like the Commodore 64 and Apple ][ could save to disk. The Japanese version of Metroid was released on the Famicom Disk System and could save directly to disk as well. Legend of Zelda on the NES was the first game to use a battery in the cartridge for saving and I think that was released in the same month as Metroid in North America on the NES.

So Metroid might be the first.... or not, as Phediuk answered this question.

Also, here's another one to add:

The Neo-Geo AES was the first game console to use removable memory cards. The cards could also be used to interface with the Neo Geo MVS for saving high scores.
neo_geo_memory_card_2.jpg

What was the first PC game to support 1920x1080 or higher, without mods?

Interesting fact, apparently John Carmack coded Quake on a 28" CRT monitor @ 1920x1080, although that doesn't count.

Cyberbykes: Shadow Racer VR (1995) had an unusual resolution support, up to 1280x1024.

Just searched the widescreen gaming forums and found a pretty useful topic about early games with widescreen support etc. Apparently the oldest 3D game with a wide range of resolutions and ratios is Enclave (July 19, 2002 on Xbox and March 10, 2003 on PC). Just downloaded the Enclave demo from gamershell, installed it and I can confirm that it supports 1920x1080:

Phediuk

Interesting fact, apparently John Carmack coded Quake on a 28" CRT monitor @ 1920x1080, although that doesn't count.

Cyberbykes: Shadow Racer VR (1995) had an unusual resolution support, up to 1280x1024.

Just searched the widescreen gaming forums and found a pretty useful topic about early games with widescreen support etc. Apparently the oldest 3D game with a wide range of resolutions and ratios is Enclave (July 19, 2002 on Xbox and March 10, 2003 on PC). Just downloaded the Enclave demo from gamershell, installed it and I can confirm that it supports 1920x1080:

Good work!

Phediuk

Would Cyberbykes also be the first game with a per-frame resolution over 1 million pixels?

Phediuk

First game with ragdoll physics?

First game with bloom lighting?

First game with bump-mapping?

First game with real-time shadows? Virtua Fighter (arcade, 1993), perhaps? Virtua Racing (1992) has a shadow underneath the car, but nothing else has a shadow.

Edit: the consensus for ragdoll physics appears to be Jurassic Park: Trespasser (PC, 1998).

Another edit: Unreal (PC, 1998) appears to be the first game with bump-mapping.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Circuit Breakers on PSOne was I think the first disc based console game that had an add-on disc released, bringing 16 extra tracks fully playable in both single and multiplayer.

It was published for free in the official playstation magazine disc #37 in October 1998 in the UK. Checking google suggests GTA: London 1969 but that was released in 1999. Maybe it is counted as it was a paid-for add-on disc?

Dezeer

Was Mount&Blade the first game that you were able to buy and play in alpha/beta state, starting from 2004? Or was there some other/could you consider a shareware game to come earlier?

Would Cyberbykes also be the first game with a per-frame resolution over 1 million pixels?

Apparently Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (September 30, 1997) could go as high as 1680x1050.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot that Cyberbykes' from 1995.

I suppose the lowest standard resolution with over 1 million pixels would be something like 1280x800 so there might be an earlier example. I wonder if there are some arcade examples with very high resolutions, maybe some games with vector graphics?

First game with bloom lighting?

According to wikipedia, it's Ico (September 24, 2001).

Ico introduced several design and technical elements, including a story told with minimal dialog, bloom lighting and key frame animation, that have influenced subsequent games.

As for ragdoll physics, there might've been some older, simpler 2D example? Makai mentioned Ernest Evans (December 20, 1991).

Phediuk

Apparently Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (September 30, 1997) could go as high as 1680x1050.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot that Cyberbykes' from 1995.

I suppose the lowest standard resolution with over 1 million pixels would be something like 1280x800 so there might be an earlier example. I wonder if there are some arcade examples with very high resolutions, maybe some games with vector graphics?

According to wikipedia, it's Ico (September 24, 2001).

As for ragdoll physics, there might've been some older, simpler 2D example? Makai mentioned Ernest Evans (December 20, 1991).

Earnest Evans does not have ragdoll physics; its main character is a multi-jointed sprite that animates awkwardly. The limbs do not move dynamically.

Another edit: Unreal (PC, 1998) appears to be the first game with bump-mapping.

Mobygames states that Montezuma's Return's German release date is December 1997, predating Unreal by almost half a year but all other release dates point to October 30 1998. You can see the German back cover showing "1997" but I'm not sure how accurate this is.

According to wikipedia it had bump mapping:
Graphics are multiple, high-resolution 65,000 color graphics. The object modeling takes into account physics, such as gravity, reflection, air, and other features. The game is true 3D with movement in six degrees of freedom. Optional Fast Phong- and Gouraud shaded, perspective-mapping, light-sourcing, real-time shadows, bump mapping, z-buffering, MIP mapping and other things combine with multiple movable point and spotlight light sources, view ports, and cameras to make the graphics an outstanding visual treat. Weather effects and underwater sequences add to the effects.

Btw, found a GAF topic about bump mapping in games from 2007, people have mentioned lots of early games (Montezuma being one of them) but they're mostly '98-'99 onward.

Oh, also ran into this website, it could be useful just for listing all of the various graphics options for a lot of older PC games. PCgamingwiki also has video options screenshots for a lot of titles.

Earnest Evans does not have ragdoll physics; its main character is a multi-jointed sprite that animates awkwardly. The limbs do not move dynamically.

Ah, well I've never played it so I wasn't really sure either way.

There were ragdoll physic demos being developed back in the mid-early 90's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA1-6eu7QlI

Thanks, nice video, love this kind of early tech footage.

Phediuk

Mobygames states that Montezuma's Return's German release date is December 1997, predating Unreal by almost half a year but all other release dates point to October 30 1998. You can see the German back cover showing "1997" but I'm not sure how accurate this is.

According to wikipedia it had bump mapping:

Btw, found a GAF topic about bump mapping in games from 2007, people have mentioned lots of early games (Montezuma being one of them) but they're mostly '98-'99 onward.

Oh, also ran into this website, it could be useful just for listing all of the various graphics options for a lot of older PC games. PCgamingwiki also has video options screenshots for a lot of titles.

Nice!

On the subject of day/night cycles, Terror-Daktil 4D came out on the Spectrum in 1983 and had this:

Night
pzGnitI.png

Day
ZxbD79N.png

You had to survive for 7 days until rescued.

Lurch666

I knew 1984 sounded too late for a game with a health bar.
Trawled though the arcade games but couldn't find anything but then it hit me:

Attic attack.1983

Had a chicken which turned to bones over time but dropped quicker on contact with an enemy.
Might be something earlier but that's the only one I can think of at the moment.

Ragav

Banned
Time crisis(FPS) was the first game to use cover system
MGS was the first TPS to use cover system
WinBack: Covert Operations was the first TPS that let you pop out of cover

E.T is the first worst game ever , lol
Feel free to correct me

Top Bottom