• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A class-action lawsuit against Nintendo regarding Joy-con drift has been filed

llien

Well, US only, right.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for Nintendo to be punished for this BS.
Son's joycons were sent for repairs about a year or so ago.
Now one is drifting again.

Pathetic hardware quality.

F7QSeyS.jpg

There was a time when their seal genuinely used to mean something. Being a Nintendo customer myself for 30+ years now, I can attest to the fact that when you purchased a Nintendo product in the 80s, 90s, and most of the 2000s, you were guaranteed to have a lasting product. One can also wonder how Satoru Iwata would've handled this situation, but that is wishful thinking.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Well, US only, right.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for Nintendo to be punished for this BS.
Son's joycons were sent for repairs about a year or so ago.
Now one is drifting again.

Pathetic hardware quality.
Nobody cared when Sony entered the market, and introduced a new low in terms of hardware reliability, with the PS1. I know people who have had to buy two to three systems back in the day. And I don't remember any outrage.

Last edited:
Got another stick drifting badly, and Nintendo's repair centers are shut down right now. 🤨

This was the final Joy-Con of my four not to need a drift repair. So that's 4 for 4.

This might seem like a dumb question, and I'm sure you've tired it but in case you haven't and it might help, have you tried to recalibrate center through the options menu on your Switch on any of your Joycons?

When I repaired the analog unit on my blue Joycon it was out by a LOT once I got it put back together. I recalibrated it and i's been 100% ever since. Currently I have both Neon red and blue launch Joycons and two newer opposing neon red and blue and they all work like new.

Nobody cared when Sony entered the market, and introduced a new low in terms of hardware reliability, with the PS1. I know people who have had to buy two to three systems back in the day. And I don't remember any outrage.

Everybody cared! They just did so in small groups. Everyone I knew sat their PS1 on it's side or upside-down thanks to the cheap CD-Rom drive they used. I went through multiple PS1s and PS2s. So did most of the kids I knew back then. PS2 was infamous for DRE and general fall-apart. Always right out of warranty. Always right as a big game launched. They were pieces of Shitstation.

The internet just didn't exist yet so outrage was contained in little bubbles across the globe.

radewagon

Everybody cared! They just did so in small groups. Everyone I knew sat their PS1 on it's side or upside-down thanks to the cheap CD-Rom drive they used. I went through multiple PS1s and PS2s. So did most of the kids I knew back then. PS2 was infamous for DRE and general fall-apart. Always right out of warranty. Always right as a big game launched. They were pieces of Shitstation.

The internet just didn't exist yet so outrage was contained in little bubbles across the globe.

I think another reason why it wasn't seen as a huge deal was also that often times the console still worked. I had to stack books on top of my PS1 but it still worked. Also let's not forget that Sony had/has a habit of refreshing their consoles and then offering them for very competetive prices around black friday. So, even if a PS1, PS2, PS3, or PS4 died on you, if it happened late enough in the cycle, you could replace it with a better model in a bundle with some great games for a fair price. Not ideal, but not horrible either.

I honestly think that if Nintendo had fixed the drift and released newer better joycons, most people would have just eaten the cost and enjoyed their new cooler controllers. Nintendo's problem right now isn't that they released something faulty, like Sony did/does. It's that they haven't really done anything about it.

I started selling custom-shelled Joy-Cons on Etsy and in the process learned how to replace the joystick. It's not too hard, and you can get them on eBay fairly cheaply ($10 or so for a pair, I got a 10-pack for around $45). However, I don't know how long the replacements will last either. If anyone hears of an actually FIXED version of the joystick that can be installed in a Joy-Con please let me know.

All that said, although I'm a big Nintendo fan they're clearly to blame for a low-quality joystick here.

Solarstrike

That many people actually use the Joycon controllers to play? Get a Switch Pro Controller ya lazy bums, problem solved :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Edit: If anyone needs a class action lawsuit for controller drift, it's Microsoft. I've went through about six Microsoft wireless Xbox controllers in the last year. You so much as drop them or breathe on them the wrong way and the analog sticks get fked with drift.

Last edited:
That many people actually use the Joycon controllers to play? Get a Switch Pro Controller ya lazy bums, problem solved :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Edit: If anyone needs a class action lawsuit for controller drift, it's Microsoft. I've went through about six Microsoft wireless Xbox controllers in the last year. You so much as drop them or breathe on them the wrong way and the analog sticks get fked with drift.

The Pro controllers have the drift issue as well. I got one from Bestbuy on a deal and it drifted so I returned it, Got another from Amazon an it drifts as well.

devilNprada

After providing information on my Switch purchase yesterday, I received this today:

"Thank you for reaching out to us. We have filed a lawsuit against Nintendo regarding the Joy-Con drift defect. The lawsuit covers all owners of Nintendo Switch consoles and extra Joy-Con controllers. You can view the lawsuit here https://chimicles.com/cskd-files-class-action-lawsuit-against-nintendo-of-america-inc-relating-to-joy-con-drifting-issues/."

I don't believe Switch owners need to do anything - "the lawsuit covers all owners" and if it's successful, you should see a little something from it. The real goal is that Nintendo wake up to the issue and figure out a solution for it.

Nintendo knows the issue fixed 4 of mine no questions asked... This is bullshit lawyers making money..

John Wick

It's about time Nintendo admitted to this defect and were held accountable. Hopefully a massive fine world-wide

Tripolygon

Banned
Lol this isn't a Ford pinto that catches fire.
Send them in they'll fix it....
It took a lawsuit for them to acknowledge the fault and offer to fix it for free but not in all countries.

Apple does the same thing. They refuse to acknowledge customers are dealing with faulty keyboard or faulty buttons or faulty screens until someone sues them then they admit and setup a free repair program.

Last edited:
It's because everything is made in China now. That indestructible GameBoy? Made in Japan.
Fun fact, back in the day. I’m talking during the early parts of Japan’s economic rise. Japan had a similar reputation to what China has now in regards to their products feeling or being cheap. This eventually went away but for a whole generation of people (I would say people in their late 50s early 60s) Japan was often viewed as a place where cheap flimsy products came from.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Lol this isn't a Ford pinto that catches fire.
Send them in they'll fix it....
It’s not fine to continue selling products that are known to be faulty because Nintendo will repair. How about they repair the ones they haven’t sold yet and start selling products that aren’t faulty?

Fun fact, back in the day. I’m talking during the early parts of Japan’s economic rise. Japan had a similar reputation to what China has now in regards to their products feeling or being cheap. This eventually went away but for a whole generation of people (I would say people in their late 50s early 60s) Japan was often viewed as a place where cheap flimsy products came from.

mcz117chief

Yeah, was there a gag like that in Back to the Future or some other movie? Someone was like "damn, of course it doesn't work, it was made in Japan." to which the character replied "What are you talking about, only the best things are made in Japan."

Yeah, was there a gag like that in Back to the Future or some other movie? Someone was like "damn, of course it doesn't work, it was made in Japan." to which the character replied "What are you talking about, only the best things are made in Japan."
Lol that’s cool. Never seen the movie. I might have my generation number wrong. It’s probably people in their late 60s early 70s that remember Japan being associated with cheap products.

mcz117chief

Lol that’s cool. Never seen the movie. I might have my generation number wrong. It’s probably people in their late 60s early 70s that remember Japan being associated with cheap products.
I think it was Back to the Future, and I think that scene probably took place in 1955. That would sound about right, wouldn't it?

is this still an issue with newer batches of Switch? recently got one and still considering if I want to keep it or not.

also, regarding the whole Japan quality vs China thing, just want to add that the 50's Japan was basically a country that's recovering from fire bombing and 2 atomic bombs in most of its industrial areas, which is why it didn't take long for its production to get to a better quality. while in the case of China, the reason for some of their products being of subpar quality is more of an issue cause by greed and cutting corners. of course this had improved a lot now but depends on the manufacturer and how well they manage the lowly paid workers, it's inevitable that you'll run into a larger percentage (relatively speaking) of bad products. plus it's just math that with all the things the world had have China make, there's bond to be a part of it that's not up to standard. just my uneducated guess thou.

F7QSeyS.jpg

There was a time when their seal genuinely used to mean something. Being a Nintendo customer myself for 30+ years now, I can attest to the fact that when you purchased a Nintendo product in the 80s, 90s, and most of the 2000s, you were guaranteed to have a lasting product. One can also wonder how Satoru Iwata would've handled this situation, but that is wishful thinking.

This is true for 1st party items, but not for shovelware 3rd party games on the NES.

L0rdMike

Neo Member
No wonder this circuit failed. It says made in Japan.

What do you mean doc, all the best stuff is made in Japan.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
The analog units in the joycons are just flawed. Moving the stick slides two “trays” inside the units that slide up/down, and left/right for the two axis. The entire unit is only less than 1/2cm in height so the centering spring is short with a pretty large diameter which makes it pretty inaccurate. This is why you can calibrate the joy con and have the drift return in a different direction. It’s not something you can fix permanently, it’s a straight up design flaw.

The other issue with the units are the use of weak brittle white plastic that degrades. There is no lubrication in the units from the factory so the two pivot points wear over time which also causes the units to center inaccurately as they become loose where they connect to the “trays”.

Most of the controllers on the market use identical analog units. Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo (pro controllers), and many aftermarket controllers use a unit that rotates two separate drums which indicate position. The centering spring in these units is smaller in diameter but is a heavier gauge and longer providing higher tension. The base of the units also has white grease inside so that the slide attached to the centering spring doesn’t wear as it slides around the base plate. On these units drift is usually caused when there isn’t enough of this grease and the pad wears against the base causing it to become uneven, which causes the spring to rest off center.

With $150-$200 controllers on the market , the best thing you can do is immediately open them up and apply lubrication inside the analog units and reapply every now and then. With maintenance they’ll likely never drift. This is extremely easy to do on the Xbone controllers and still pretty easy on the DS4 and SWitch Pro controllers.

With the joycons this isn’t even realistically a possibility. For starters they are very difficult to open without damaging them, let along doing it more than once. I’ve repaired one of these units and opening it up carefully found one of the weak white plastic parts was simply broken at it’s pivot point. Applying lubricant won’t stop the main issue with the spring design, and in general working on the joycons is tedious. There are multiple thin ribbon cables, loose wiring, and pinch points all over the place. Working on the WiiU game pad was easier than a Joycon. I would have preferred the slider from the 3DS to these units.

Nintendo should never have let this through.
The issue is with how the positioning is measured and what materials are used. It's not HAL effect sensor, but rather classic flat resistance measurement. Which then wears out, because they are rubbing metal againts graphite. Here is shown:

So the issue is not with plastic.

To me it's insane that we are not having HALL effect sensors in consoles, would fix a lot of issues and it would probably not be much more expensive. Something like Elite 2 controlled not having it is travesty.

DESTROYA

Nintendo should be held accountable if they are selling a product that fails , saying that I have a OG Switch from day one and a Pro controller that still works like new but I’m pretty delicate with my Switch and don’t manhandle the controls 🤷‍♂️

iconmaster

Banned
This might seem like a dumb question, and I'm sure you've tired it but in case you haven't and it might help, have you tried to recalibrate center through the options menu on your Switch on any of your Joycons?

Early on, yes, I tried everything -- recalibration, compressed air, rubbing alcohol. I've replaced a stick or two myself with after-market parts. Pretty soon I got sick of all that and just started sending in controllers at the first sign of drift.

jigglet

Banned
The real goal is that Nintendo wake up to the issue and figure out a solution for it.

I don't know about that. The Switch Pro, if rumours are correct, is due out early next year. They will use that to slowly brush the problem aside. And even if we win, based on historical class actions of this nature, the compensation is generally so trivial it's almost not even worth walking to the bank to cash in the check.

The real goal IMO is to throw negative PR at Nintendo for this and slightly dint their reputation as a hardware maker, which is deserved. This problem should have been addressed with Switch Lite. This is a disgrace.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I really with it gets fixed, but unfortunatelly it worked wonders for them by making people buying more joycons and yet the Switch is selling gangbusters anyway... They won't "fix" it because it may no be "broken" on their eyes, for their finances this might be a "feature, not a bug"

Does the Switch Lite have joystick drift as well? My gf's brand new Switch Lite has an issue where she stutters between walk and run specifically when moving left in Pokémon Let's Go (it doesn't affect any other game) - is this joystick drift or some other hardware fault?

Last edited:

fallingdove

I don’t know that anything will come of this but hopefully enough people will speak up about this that Nintendo gets the message.

We had to throw away a pair of joycons a few weeks ago because the drift got so bad. This was after a Nintendo repair and several applications of contact cleaner over the course of a couple months.

Top Bottom