• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8 injured in Blue Rhino explosion in Tavares, FL

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloatOn

Blue-Rhino-propane-tanks-0730.jpg

The explosion began around 10:30 p.m. Monday at the Blue Rhino Plant on CR 448 in Tavares.

Twenty-four workers were at the plant when the explosion happened, along with 53,000 20-pound cylinders for gas.

Eight employees were injured, according to Tavares Fire Chief Richard Keith. Three men were taken to Orlando Regional Medical Center in critical condition, which is a level one trauma center, and are being treated for burns.

One of the men arrived around 4 a.m. Tuesday. He was first treated at Florida Hospital Waterman, which is not far away from the plant, but then transferred by ambulance to ORMC.

Two others are at Ocala Regional Medical Center and Shands Hospital in Gainesville.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation.

"We don't think this is any act of sabotage," Keith said. "We honestly think it was an equipment failure with the combination of human error from one of the staff."

Fifteen people who were missing have now been accounted for, according to the Lake County Sheriff's Office.

“The main part where the employees were working is more in the front part of the property,” said Lt. John Herrell from the Lake County Sheriff’s Office. “There are different areas on the facility where the propane is stored, the property, and there are different areas on the facility where the propane is stored. I’m not exactly sure where it started specifically, but that is what was relayed to me as far as how they were able to escape.”

Residents could see, feel and hear multiple explosions there. Everyone within a half-mile radius of the explosion was evacuated for several hours. However, that order has been lifted.

The flame and smoke could be seen in Apopka in Orange County and Webster in Sumter County. During a news conference, Keith said he has never seen anything like this in his 36 years of service.

At this plant, propane gas cylinders are filled and transported to retail facilities around Central Florida.

CR-448 was closed for several hours after the explosion, but has since reopened.

source:
http://www.cfnews13.com/content/new...n/2013/7/30/explosions_at_blue_r.html?cid=rss

Lock if old.

It got pretty crazy in Florida last night. If you use propane to grill, now would be a good time to buy some tanks as I fully expect prices to sky rocket.

Lucario

hLiCPkE.gif

Seriously though, this sucks, and I hope everyone injured makes a swift recovery. Good thing this wasn't during winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom