• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

7th generation versus 8th generation FROM Software

Which generation of FROM Software titles is better?

• 7th generation (PS3 / 360)

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • 8th generation (PS4 / X1)

Votes: 15 57.7%

• Total voters

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
And explain your reasonings below.

7th gen:
multiple Armored Core titles
Demon's Souls
Dark Souls
Dark Souls II
Ninja Blade
Shadow Assault: Tenchu

8th gen:
Bloodborne
Sekiro
Dark Souls III
Deracine
(upcoming) Elden Ring

I gotta go 7th Gen

Armored Core games are great IMO, I miss them

The original Souls games, Dark Souls 2 probably my favorite of the trilogy.

it’s tough because Sekiro is the first From game I’ve finished since AC5. I liked BB in the 22 hours I played of it but it’s not one of my games of the gen like with many others.

overall I just gotta give the 7th gen roster my vote

Last edited:

TacosNSalsa

7th gen
I liked Demon's Souls
I loved Dark Souls
Never played the rest

8th Gen
I like Sekrio
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDD Bloodborne
LOOOVED Dark Souls 3

As you can see from my "O" meter , I choose 8th gen

Arachnid

Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 are my personal favorite FROM games so 8th for me. Bloodborne alone seals the deal actually. My personal game of the generation, and one of the best games of all time.

Elden Ring is gonna be nuts too.

Banned
Dark Souls 3 is the best game in the series, Bloodborne was great, Sekiro was great...

last gen they had the ok Demon's Souls, the great Dark Souls and the mediocre Dark Souls 2

so this gen wins by a landslide.

and I don't care what Hardcore fans of the first Dark Souls say, Dark Souls 3 is the better game. it might have been more linear but the second half of DS1 is way too convoluted and the controls+fighting system of DS3 is superior in every way.

I would almost go so far and say that DS3 perfected the Souls formula

Last edited:
I don't feel like voting because I skipped so many of their titles last gen.
Chromehounds, Enchanted Arms, AC4/FA, AC5/VD...I'm going to retrieve these game at some point.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I think their 8th gen offerings are an action-gamer's paradise, blowing their 7th gen stuff out of the water, other than the obvious gap of no Armored Core. Bloodborne and Sekiro are both evolutions of Souls in their own way, and Dark Souls III is a grand finale for the series. Elden Ring is still on the way and will probably be on par with the other Souls titles for me.

An Armored Core before the end of the gen would seal the deal for me.

Arachnid

Dark Souls 3 is the best game in the series, Bloodborne was great, Sekiro was great...

last gen they had the ok Demon's Souls, the great Dark Souls and the mediocre Dark Souls 2

so this gen wins by a landslide.

and I don't care what Hardcore fans of the first Dark Souls say, Dark Souls 3 is the better game. it might have been more linear but the second half of DS1 is way too convoluted and the controls+fighting system of DS3 is superior in every way.

I would almost go so far and say that DS3 perfected the Souls formula
Agreed. Dark Souls 3 is straight up gold and the best send off the series could have hoped for.

It has better bosses (best set of bosses in the series actually), better and more varied combat, (obviously) better looking graphics and aesthetics, and (this one is IMO) I like the interconnected levels approach more than DS1s interconnected world that had you constantly backtracking. DS3 is some of the best work they've ever done. A lot of DS1 diehards talk trash about it because they consider it a nostalgia trip (the only real nostalgia cash-in's were Andre, Gwyns brief moveset in the Soul of Cinder, and Anor Londo; Anor Londo was the most gratuitous, but it was fkn fantastic complete with some of the best boss lore in the entire series). I loved all the little ways it tied in to 1 (for example, Nameless King being Gwyns abandoned first born son and a highly discussed/debated topic since DS1 came out). Just talking about it makes me want to do another playthrough.

I think their 8th gen offerings are an action-gamer's paradise, blowing their 7th gen stuff out of the water, other than the obvious gap of no Armored Core. Bloodborne and Sekiro are both evolutions of Souls in their own way, and Dark Souls III is a grand finale for the series. Elden Ring is still on the way and will probably be on par with the other Souls titles for me.

An Armored Core before the end of the gen would seal the deal for me.
I'm certain they're preparing to relaunch Armored Core as a series this decade.
I also expect other mecha (or just ''mechanical'') games from them because I just don't see the guys at FROM letting their past expertise developing robot games go to waste.

GodofWhimsy

I can't choose, but I gotta say the first Dark Souls makes a pretty strong argument for the 7th gen on it's own. It held a certain charm that hasn't been matched by future instalments and tbh I don't think they even attempted to replicate that. Yes, the sense of dread and despair is present in current soulsborne titles, but Dark Souls had a certain... sombreness? the world felt indifferent to your "quest", almost cold. The calm before the storm made that game what it was just as much as the iconic boss battles imo. The difference in the menu themes between 1 and 3 is the best way to explain this I think. Each is going for completely different tone straight off the bat.

< Dark Souls

< Dark Souls 3

The first entry had more a "through the looking glass" vibe, whilst future entries leaned more into epic dark fantasy imo.

Plus it had some of the best exploration and world design in the series. Jesus the first Dark Souls was a magical experience.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'm certain they're preparing to relaunch Armored Core as a series this decade.
I also expect other mecha (or just ''mechanical'') games from them because I just don't see the guys at FROM letting their past expertise developing robot games go to waste.
Fingers crossed. I'd love another Armored Core from them. That 4 Answer trailer still sends goosebumps up my arms:

Holgren

As much as I loved Demon's Souls (first time Flamelurker is still my most memorable boss from the franchise), I just got to give it to Bloodborne. The lore, gothic world and lovecraftian enemy designs are incredible.
Shoutouts to 6th gen King's Field IV and Shadow Tower: Abyss, great games that have a similar vibe to the souls games but are first-person view.
456207.jpg

51H9P93SK9L.jpg

I personally loved Shadow Tower, but they are more slower paced. I would recommend them for any fans of the soulsborne games who just can't get enough.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
2011 was the best year in video games and in a big part thanks to Dark Souls 1.
But my fav is DS2 and it's still last gen first!

Dane

What's kinda curious is that before Souls franchise, From Software was regarded at least critically an average developer at best. Then suddeny Demon's Souls comes in and they get into the high tier from night to day.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
What's kinda curious is that before Souls franchise, From Software was regarded at least critically an average developer at best. Then suddeny Demon's Souls comes in and they get into the high tier from night to day.
They've always been making niche games, but Demon's Souls / Dark Souls were lightning in a bottle and caught a lot of new attention.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Gen 7 easily. Bloodborne was great but DS3 was really disappointing to me and showed up the cracks and shortcomings in the formula. Sekiro never really interested me, quite frankly Nioh scratched that particular itch far too well, and as an overall package again rammed home to me how safe and predictable FROM's stuff has gotten.

c

I gotta go 7th Gen

Armored Core games are great IMO, I miss them

The original Souls games, Dark Souls 2 probably my favorite of the trilogy.

it’s tough because Sekiro is the first From game I’ve finished since AC5. I liked BB in the 22 hours I played of it but it’s not one of my games of the gen like with many others.

overall I just gotta give the 7th gen roster my vote

Maaan i wish I grabbed my ps3 before the lockdown so i could sink my teeth into Verdict Day. I cant believe how deep those games are. Still trying to find a copy of For Answer for PS3, though I have read the 360 versions performs better.

Top Bottom