• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$70 Mortal Kombat 1 Switch version called "robbery" as graphical comparisons flood the internet

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
That video of the character apparently on a different horizontal axis to the player is one thing, the price is another, but comparing the graphics and saying the next gen version is better than the Switch version like it's a surprise is baffling.

Gamers seem to be more interested in sneering at things than celebrating things. It's quite sad.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I mean...your fault for buying mutiplat games on a switch, what did you expect? Parity?

At least you can enjoy some comedy gold while watching the cutscenes :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Esppiral

They had to rebuild most if not all the graphics and logic to fit the game on the switch, so I find the price justified, this is not made by pressing the convert to switch button, also the console is like 2 generations old in terms of tech, was people really expecting next gen level of graphics? Lol

Astral Dog

It doesn't look... that bad? Not in motion but yes I think a patch or two could fix the close up images.

How many times does this need to be explained. The Switch is a 7 year old handheld trying to run a game clearly made for the PS5 etc.
Let's also not forget the fact that this game has to run in 60FPS so it cannot do the shortcut of halving the frames other games do with Switch ports and it's an improvement over 11 in image quality.
This game could look a lot better in 30FPS on switch but..... who wants a 30fs fighting game?

They made the right call and I've seen enough proper videos that suggest this is a very decent day and date port.

The price itself is a different debatable argument but it seems like me like you're getting the exact same content with the added benefit of being able to play it portable.
Wait what, the game runs at 60fps on the Switch!? 😳how they even managed to do that

looks ugly but nothing a 'next gen' patch couldn't fix lol

KOSUjUZ.gif
GIF by Tokkingheads

mcjmetroid

That "But it's portable!" mindset has really bitten a lot of y'all in the ass lol
Well no this is the way it's always been., handheld ports of current consoles ports are ALWAYS worse, in the past the divide was so large they just created specific versions for each system. See GBA and PS2. It's a tale as old as time.
1 is a system you carry around with you and consumes much less power and has to balance the power that it does have with battery conservation.

You expect less power from a smaller device.

This isn't new by the way the vita port of mortal kombat had way worse graphics as well but people excepted it because it was a handheld.

It wasn't until the Switch where people really started comparing console to handheld gaming, I assume a lot of this is younger gamers mind you and I'm guessing the reason is because you can dock it and use it as a console if you so choose.

But the Switch is a handheld system first, always has been always will be.

Last edited:
Lol people forgot how MK version were on Gameboy. My first fighting game on handled has been Killer Instinct for Game Boy, as a kid I loved it and had a blast, but now I know it was shit.

Probably someone will enjoy this on Switch as well.
Especially the kids XD

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Hot take, but the Xbox and PS5 versions are also not worth $70. Most games aren’t.

diffusionx

Gold Member
That video of the character apparently on a different horizontal axis to the player is one thing, the price is another, but comparing the graphics and saying the next gen version is better than the Switch version like it's a surprise is baffling.

Gamers seem to be more interested in sneering at things than celebrating things. It's quite sad.
Yea. The fact is, it's a full current gen title using all the fancy features of the engine. The choice is literally look like this or don't release. SF6 didn't come out on Switch, Tekken 8 isn't coming out on Switch.

Last edited:

Impotaku

The more amazing thing is learning people still play mortal kombat, it was low tier even back in the day the only thing that made it stand out was the digitised gore.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The more amazing thing is learning people still play mortal kombat, it was low tier even back in the day the only thing that made it stand out was the digitised gore.

How do people exist in the world that would say something like this is beyond me.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

MK11 was Switch Pro compared to MK1.
OK MK1 is probably more heavy, but you can't release a game in that condition.

The fact that there are not 4 consecutive characters helps a lot, Nintendo Switch apparently costs too much power to put 4 characters on one screen.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
It also drops to about 10fps or less during the fatalities

Oh and this is what happens when you uppercut somebodies head off

uPwK5GP.png

Even the pre rendered videos drop frames
I had to stare at this picture for a good 10 seconds before I figured out what was going on lol.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Not only that, they changed the music on the Switch version

Test your sight
Test your sight
Test your sight
Test your sight
MORTAL KOMBAT!

cireza

Nah bruh. You can't blame Unreal for this.
Of course I can. Compare MK IX and Dead or Alive 5+ on Vita. There is a reason why one of these games had a chance to run superbly on the console. The one that wasn't build on a wasteful engine, but actually built on an in-house engine did.

Wait what, the game runs at 60fps on the Switch!? 😳how they even managed to do that

looks ugly but nothing a 'next gen' patch couldn't fix lol
No, I'm pretty sure it doesn't run 60. Immediately at the start of each round there's a massive frame drop and resolution falls to shit straight away.
And don't get me started on the load times before each fight... woof

MirageMew2

Your mind might implode learning Mortal Kombat is quite literally the highest grossing fighting game franchise of all time.

Top Bottom