• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

505 Games will be shutting down their offices in France, Spain and Germany

As Gamereactor has learned, and as EA, Activision or 2K Games did in recent years, 505 Games is left without local representation in its subsidiaries in the old continent. This means that, apart from the Milanese headquarters and preserving the British company given its operational difference, Germany, Spain and France will close (some after more than 15 years of activity) and cancel their work, mainly in marketing, communication and relations.

The number of employees affected is not as large as last year's (less than 10 people), but it does mean the important loss of direct territorial relations, a move that other publishers have already made with dubious results.

Indredible, this industry is sick
I'm not surprised at all.
At the start of the generation almost every developer said that game prices need to go up because development is getting multiple times harder, expensive and time-consuming. And GAF said 'Lazy and greedy devs'.
Also former President of Nintendo said that multiple times during Wii , PS3, X360 era. He predicted that those 'graphic' wars will result in exactly more expensive and long development games. So they skipped a generation because of that.
But people wanted better graphics, faster releases and bug-free games all at once.

At the start of the generation almost every developer said that game prices need to go up because development is getting multiple times harder, expensive and time-consuming. And GAF said 'Lazy and greedy devs'.
Also former President of Nintendo said that multiple times during Wii , PS3, X360 era. He predicted that those 'graphic' wars will result in exactly more expensive and long development games. So they skipped a generation because of that.
But people wanted better graphics, faster releases and bug-free games all at once.
That's not the problem here. The main problem is mediocre to shit games.

If you make a quality product, it will sell.
If you release a piece of shit, that's on you.

I don't think the main problem is people not willing to pay more. It's people don't want to pay more for mediocrity. And I'm all for that.

Companies can ask for more, but not when they are using 5-10 year old engines and implement them in a shitty way for a shit game. (Suicide Squad, are you reading this?)

SO bottom line is:

Want to ask more for your product? MAKE IT FUCKING WORTH IT!!

Majormaxxx

Lol at people blaming the consumer. Their profit margins have skyrocketed. Now they are trimming the fat. They are overpaying developers. Those budgets are spent on salaries.

Ozriel

M$FT
That's not the problem here. The main problem is mediocre to shit games.

If you make a quality product, it will sell.
If you release a piece of shit, that's on you.

I don't think the main problem is people not willing to pay more. It's people don't want to pay more for mediocrity. And I'm all for that.

Companies can ask for more, but not when they are using 5-10 year old engines and implement them in a shitty way for a shit game. (Suicide Squad, are you reading this?)

SO bottom line is:

Want to ask more for your product? MAKE IT FUCKING WORTH IT!!

Returnal was one of the best rated games of 2021, and made it to the GOTY conversations.

Sales were lukewarm.

We know Ratchet Rift Apart didn’t set sales records. Neither did HiFi Rush. Neither did Titanfall 2. Alan Wake 2 was GOTY nominated but had very modest sales.

It’s not as simple as ‘make a quality game’. Most devs don’t set out to make ‘shitty games’, and if you closed every developer that has a history of making poorly received games, this hobby would be in a dire state

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Not a day goes by this week without a news about layoffs or a studio being shutting down.
The way current video game industry works needs a HUGE effin' overhaul and more people need to unionize.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Sure let's ignore the temporary explosive growth the industry experienced during the pandemic and the fact that people were allowed to borrow bags of money without interest.

This narrative that Nintendo was some kind of cannery in the mine makes more sense.

DaGwaphics

^ The cannery in the mine is a new visualization that I've never seen used before. But, I guess you could say that Nintendo pumps out content like a well oiled assembly line. Interesting.

These must have been some lonely employees. Three offices with just 10 people.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Unfortunately regional marketing etc. is not so necessary any more, with some exceptions like needing to cater to any vastly different audience like some British company trying to sell their stuff to Japan or China they have no real clue about. The west is pretty uniform outside football vs "football".

Last edited:
hSHDyoH.png

It's the fault of players, they're cheap and not spending enough money.

DryvBy

They have increased game prices. $70 and DLC and Season Passes. Games are hundreds now.

jm89

less than 10 people working in 3 countries?

The f? they work in air bnb room or something?
Could be shared office spaces. Some companies who have very few people in a location don't bother with their own dedicated offices.

Cyberpunkd

Insomniac made three Spider-Man games in 5 years, they sold tens of millions of copies. They got laid off.

Season 3 What GIF by Paramount+

The real reason is headcount growth during Covid where everyone assumed media consumption habits will last. But since we can push for higher game prices at the same time - fuck it, let’s blame game budgets.

FeralEcho

hSHDyoH.png

It's the fault of players, they're cheap and not spending enough money.
Yep,this industry is producing record numbers,all throughout 2020 through 2023 all we kept hearing is how many broken records some company or game did so anyone blaming the consumers for this is a fucking retarded monkey.

All this is at the end of the day is the chickens coming home to roost after all these companies did for countless years was mismanage studios,focusing on woke media and messaging,on gaas projects that end up losing more money than they cost just cuz everyone wants their own fortnite,delivering broken products and pushing the profit targets more and more each year.Well now we plateaued so enjoy the downfall you dipshits.It's too bad it's the developers suffering and not these worthless greedy fucks calling themselves CEOs.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Am I reading this right? They shut down 3 global offices and the number of people affected is les than 10 people? So each office had around 3 people each?

hemo memo

Gold Member
Insomniac made three Spider-Man games in 5 years, they sold tens of millions of copies. They got laid off.

Season 3 What GIF by Paramount+

The real reason is headcount growth during Covid where everyone assumed media consumption habits will last. But since we can push for higher game prices at the same time - fuck it, let’s blame game budgets.
Why would anyone with a half brain assume that? How the hell no one on those executive meetings said “hey are you fucking kidding me. Wake the fuck up”

Cyberpunkd

Why would anyone with a half brain assume that? How the hell no one on those executive meetings said “hey are you fucking kidding me. Wake the fuck up”
I work in Sales. There are two major reason you will fail at selling anything:

1. Status quo wins
2. Status quo needs to change but everyone is afraid of making a bad decision

Here we have no.2. Nobody anywhere wanted to be conservative and go “let’s go really slow, we will see if the trend lasts, this way we avoid downscaling”. And why would they? There is no penalty for going with the crowd, you can always say “nobody saw that coming” in the end.

Last edited:
Top Bottom