• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

40k game ideas.

Between Rogue Trader, and Space Marine 2 it looks like 40k fans are finally getting a seat at the quality videogames table. What are your best ideas for 40k videogames in generas that haven't been tried before?

I think the most glaringly obvious is a Mass Effect clone 3rd person shooter RPG placing you in the shoes of a newly minted Inquisitor. You choose your Ordo (class), recruit your retinue, and go on an adventure. The Puritan/Radical (Paragon/Renegade) morality scale is built in. The universe is big enough that you can tell a deeply intricate story without having to worry about universe-shattering stakes. A plotline about tracking down an Alpha+ psyker would be incredibly bombastic, yet could be contained to a sub-sector.

Star Trek Bridge Command, but 40k.

Tie Fighter, but 40k.

Factorio, but Adeptus Mechanics.............wait, that's just Factorio.

I love it how GW got the demand for 'The Message' a few decades ago. They said, "Hold my Amasec," and created one of the most bat-shit insane factions in an already bat-shit insane universe. Fuck yeah Adepta Sororitas!

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
Maybe time to kick the WH40K universe into a treasure chest and don't open it ever again. Gaming space needs fresh air. Time to kill these fucking franchises that became mongrelified monsters of their own selves.

Last edited:

Fredrik

WH40K empire management game, with real time space to ground battles and with seamless transition.

There's two great WH40K turn based tactics games:

Nice never seen either one, looks a bit AA but added to the wishlist 👍
Is there something for VR where you feel like you look down on a battlefield, God mode perspective?

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
The obvious MMO is an incredible idea but will never happen due to the cost.

The ARPG inquisitor martyr is legit good but we need a sequel with a PoE approach to end game, and a refinement to the gameplay as well as more classes.

I’m also of the mind a good 40K visual novel/disco Elysium type rpg would do well, but it needs more budget and polish than rogue trader. I’m 40 hours into RT and while it’s the best 40K game yet it still isn’t on par with modern gaming minimums like dialogue voices, character art portraits, animations, cut scenes, etc.

Holammer

40k table top experience in computer form. With dice rolls and everything. I would even accept buying armies as DLC.
But that's never going to happen.

... yes, there are table top simulator solutions, but I mean a good looking official product with Battle Chess style animations.

T4keD0wN

Theres so much potential in the ip when it comes to games that even though theres a lot of them the potential is largely unexplored.

Named adeptus astartes (Grey Knight) souls-like on a planet controlled by chaos forces, just imagine the boss fights

How does Total War 40k not exist yet?

Dead Space ripoff about a ship experiencing warp anomaly

IDK how, but Siege of Terra campaign in the style of Last of us pt2 would be dope, but it would cost like 20billion.

Doom, but tyranids

Anno 40k hive world city builder

But my best idea is: Warhammer 40k Rogue Trader 2 - this time with no T-posing

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Named adeptus astartes (Grey Knight) souls-like on a planet controlled by chaos forces, just imagine the boss fights
Sticking to lore would have been very boring.

Everyone that is not demon prince gets wiped on the floor.
Demon prince wipes the floor with everyone.

Holammer

Title: Waaagh like it's 39999
Hive world becomes part of the 'Great Game', falls to chaos in a shit-hit-the-fan fashion, Orks invade and throw a stonkin' great Waaagh!

A spectacle fighter where the player character grows [literally] throughout the game as you level up, with some customization options depending on your cunning, but brutal or brutal, but cunning type playstyle. Then there's Painboy enhancements, trophies and not to mention customizable cosmetics for warpaint & shoota.
Enemies consists of crazed humans giving themselves to chaos, many flavors of daemons and the occasional pockets of PDF doing their heroic last stands. Even bits of the planet itself is an enemy as it is in the early stages of warp corruption and more as the game progresses. Chaos Warbands! The possiblities are endless.

As you rise in ranks you get to crump the occasional git trying to keep you down and eventually taking on the warboss himself. Ending with a final showdown against a fresh Daemon prince, then you and your waaaaagh get off planet before humies arrive and finish off the planet.

foamdino

Idea the first: CDPR start with Cyberpunk's Night City
  1. convert it into a hive city
  2. change the gangs into a mix of gangs, cultists (chaos/heretics, genestealers etc)
  3. add orbital docks
  4. main character is an interrogator for the inquisition sent to uncover a plot to ... (steal something, obliterate the planet, corrupt the governor etc etc)
  5. skills trees for psyker, augmentations (cyberware), melee (swords, axes, knives), pistols, assault, snipers etc
Idea the second:
Adeptus Mechanicus Explorators game, start on an Ark Mechanicus that get's into warp storm difficulty - blown off course by 100s of years and you as a lowly tech serf have to survive the lower decks of the ship, get promoted to tech adept, sent down to surface of planet to uncover some knowledge etc etc

Idea the third:
Adeptus Administratum: Battle for the caffeine pot. Game like Papers Please, gamefied desk job, but you have to keep ahead of X other desk jockeys

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I clicked in here expecting to see 40,000 ideas for games. I am disappointed OP lol.

Kidding, I never got into these games much, but meant to. I played whichever one kind of plays like Diablo at one point and that was fun. Are they all in that style?

A Vanillaware action JRPG

pov-anime-and-warhammer-40k-finally-uniting-against-the-v0-hukgzubqng3b1.png

vanillaware-odin-sphere.gif

Idea the first: CDPR start with Cyberpunk's Night City
  1. convert it into a hive city
  2. change the gangs into a mix of gangs, cultists (chaos/heretics, genestealers etc)
  3. add orbital docks
  4. main character is an interrogator for the inquisition sent to uncover a plot to ... (steal something, obliterate the planet, corrupt the governor etc etc)
  5. skills trees for psyker, augmentations (cyberware), melee (swords, axes, knives), pistols, assault, snipers etc
Idea the second:
Adeptus Mechanicus Explorators game, start on an Ark Mechanicus that get's into warp storm difficulty - blown off course by 100s of years and you as a lowly tech serf have to survive the lower decks of the ship, get promoted to tech adept, sent down to surface of planet to uncover some knowledge etc etc

Idea the third:
Adeptus Administratum: Battle for the caffeine pot. Game like Papers Please, gamefied desk job, but you have to keep ahead of X other desk jockeys
40k Papers Please sounds fucking hilariously insane.

I clicked in here expecting to see 40,000 ideas for games. I am disappointed OP lol.

Kidding, I never got into these games much, but meant to. I played whichever one kind of plays like Diablo at one point and that was fun. Are they all in that style?
Unfortunately so for the most part. The only relatively recent stand-out 40k games that aren't strategy, and isometric RPG are Space Marine 1&2, Boltgun, Darktide, and Necromunda iirc. So FPS, and linear third person shooters. There is a respectable 2d Ork themed Contra clone called Blood, Shootas, and Teef, and there's a Ork themed Twisted metal clone in early access right now, but there doesn't seem to be many devs willing to think outside the box.

foamdino

I was thinking a narrative rpg as a 40k imperial guardsman would be a great satire vehicle (accidentally friendly fire the commissars, taking orders along trenches in some emperor-forsaken hell world, shirking "going over the top" using whatever tricks and strategies you can, seeing friends/companions being mulched by the war machine) => Disco Elysium x astra militarum

WitchHunter

Banned
Between Rogue Trader, and Space Marine 2 it looks like 40k fans are finally getting a seat at the quality videogames table. What are your best ideas for 40k videogames in generas that haven't been tried before?

I think the most glaringly obvious is a Mass Effect clone 3rd person shooter RPG placing you in the shoes of a newly minted Inquisitor. You choose your Ordo (class), recruit your retinue, and go on an adventure. The Puritan/Radical (Paragon/Renegade) morality scale is built in. The universe is big enough that you can tell a deeply intricate story without having to worry about universe-shattering stakes. A plotline about tracking down an Alpha+ psyker would be incredibly bombastic, yet could be contained to a sub-sector.

Star Trek Bridge Command, but 40k.

Tie Fighter, but 40k.

Factorio, but Adeptus Mechanics.............wait, that's just Factorio.
Just make a game about Syama Pedersen's Astartes for fucks sake. That guy has imagination and can smack everyone in the head with a frying pan when they do something half assed.

Xyphie

Isometric/third-person roguelike with a Hive City setting in which you progress further and further down, kind of like the original Diablo/Torchlight games. Stuff gets wackier the further down you get, so like criminal gangs progressing into cultists, progressing into chaos/genestealers.

Top Bottom