• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

22 movies Ebert really hated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah it's just an ensemble movie that is all about trying to find the culprit with an ending twist. Nothing pretentious about it.

Fun performances too. Especially Spacey and Del Toro. Not a classic like some people try to paint it as but it was fun imo.

Ah, an old friend made it sound like some must see magnum opus. Spoiler it for me what's the twist? I'm never going to see it.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
One of my favorite Ebert blog posts, I'm A Proud Brainiac, in which he destroys the weirdos screaming at him for not liking Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

Ah, an old friend made it sound like some must see magnum opus. Spoiler it for me what's the twist? I'm never going to see it.

The core mystery of the movie is a cop interrogating small time hood Kevin Spacey as to the identity of super criminal Keyser Sose, as Spacey tells him the story of the big heist gone wrong.
It turns out that Spacey himself is Keyser Sose, which is incredibly obvious from the very first scene in which Sose is mentioned if you're paying attention even a tiny bit whatsoever. A bunch of the names and details of the story he told the cop come from objects sitting around the cop's office, so in the end how much of the story was true and how much was bullshit is entirely up to the viewer.

Another nice thing about Ebert is that he wasn't above revisiting films years later to review them again. Originally, he gave Unforgiven 2.5 stars, but he revisited it years later to award it the 4 star review. Big Lebowski was a 3 star film originally, but eventually elevated to 4 stars.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
17. The Village, one star.

“Eventually the secret of Those, etc., is revealed. It’s a crummy secret, about one step up the ladder of narrative originality from It Was All a Dream. It’s so witless, in fact, that when we do discover the secret, we want to rewind the film so we don’t know the secret anymore. And then keep on rewinding, and rewinding, until we’re back at the beginning, and can get up from our seats and walk backward out of the theater and go down the up escalator and watch the money spring from the cash register into our pockets.”

roflmao!!

I think all of the Ebert reviews I read were of movies he thought were at least decent. Looks like I've been missing out.

One of my favorite Ebert blog posts, I'm A Proud Brainiac, in which he destroys the weirdos screaming at him for not liking Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

The core mystery of the movie is a cop interrogating small time hood Kevin Spacey as to the identity of super criminal Keyser Sose, as Spacey tells him the story of the big heist gone wrong.
It turns out that Spacey himself is Keyser Sose, which is incredibly obvious from the very first scene in which Sose is mentioned if you're paying attention even a tiny bit whatsoever. A bunch of the names and details of the story he told the cop come from objects sitting around the cop's office, so in the end how much of the story was true and how much was bullshit is entirely up to the viewer.

Oh snap so kinda like Se7en then? Man love spacey I was a teenager when usual suspects came out. I think I might watch it anyway spoilers do not bother me in the slightest.

Socreges

Banned
The Usual Suspects is great. The rest...nod.

this is still one of the best film critic burns ever
Nah. It's just a good homage to an oft-spun Winston Churchill quote:

Lady Astor: "Winston, you're drunk!" Winston Churchill: "But I shall be sober in the morning and you, madam, will still be ugly."

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Love ebert! But he's wrong about The usual suspects!

He also didn't like Raising Arizona, Blie velvet and clockwork orange :p

ISOM

He isn't lying about The Village. The twist is so damn lame. It ruined my whole enjoyment of the movie.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Ebert and I had very different opinions on what was good and what wasn't. Honestly Armageddon is my closet passion film. Probably one of the most beautiful shot and edited films ever. Yeah it's an assault on your ears and eyes, that's the point of it!

Zackat

He had some interesting thoughts on Freddy Got Fingered
"But the thing is, I remember 'Freddy Got Fingered' more than a year later. I refer to it sometimes. It is a milestone. And for all its sins, it was at least an ambitious movie, a go-for-broke attempt to accomplish something. It failed, but it has not left me convinced that Tom Green doesn't have good work in him. Anyone with his nerve and total lack of taste is sooner or later going to make a movie worth seeing."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/04/showbiz/roger-ebert-obituary/

Stuck with him I suppose lol.

FTF

I agree with most on that list except two...The Village, which isn't a great movie, it's just not as terrible as his review makes it out to be, and the one I vehemently disagree with him on is The Usual Suspects. That's a great damn movie Ebert. But RIP good man.

Also, Freddy Got Fingered might be the biggest piece of shit I've ever seen. Regardless of the fact I laughed at the Helsinki joke.

Edit: oh yeah, he's wrong about Tommy Boy too.

Lijik

Another nice thing about Ebert is that he wasn't above revisiting films years later to review them again. Originally, he gave Unforgiven 2.5 stars, but he revisited it years later to award it the 4 star review. Big Lebowski was a 3 star film originally, but eventually elevated to 4 stars.

I remember he warmed up to Donnie Darko between the theatrical and home releases as well

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Really? Why?

Because it's the most vapid imaginable treatment of the Seven Deadly Sins concept, I dislike everything about Fincher's directing style, Pitt's performance is embarrassingly bad, and it's constantly touted by wannabe film school rejects as some kind of masterpiece.

However, it's at least about something, and even if I hate the visual style, it does have a visual style, so I have to put it above The Usual Suspects.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
My favorite episodes of At The Movies was when there was some simple, dumb movie that one of them liked and the other didn't. You'd rarely hear them argue over some artistic, revolutionary, controversial film that vehemently.

But boy they'd swing for each others heads over Baby's Day Out, Spawn, and The Mask

Didn't he ream I Spit on Your Grave as well? Either it was left off of his list accidentally, or he just didn't even bother giving it a real review.

Still, those back and forth comments between him and Gallo about The Brown Bunny was hilarious.

Because it's the most vapid imaginable treatment of the Seven Deadly Sins concept, I dislike everything about Fincher's directing style, Pitt's performance is embarrassingly bad, and it's constantly touted by wannabe film school rejects as some kind of masterpiece.

However, it's at least about something, and even if I hate the visual style, it does have a visual style, so I have to put it above The Usual Suspects.

WHATS IN THE BOX THO?!?!

Not a film geek tho I liked Se7en, what do you think of Gasper Noë?

mcw

Can we talk about this shit, though?

Ebertiswrong.png

Eh? What's the issue? Everyone knows that Garfield: A Tale of Two Kitties is a classic. That scene at the end where he covertly swaps places with Heathcliff at the guillotine, man... getting a little dusty in here...

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
17. The Village, one star.

“Eventually the secret of Those, etc., is revealed. It’s a crummy secret, about one step up the ladder of narrative originality from It Was All a Dream. It’s so witless, in fact, that when we do discover the secret, we want to rewind the film so we don’t know the secret anymore. And then keep on rewinding, and rewinding, until we’re back at the beginning, and can get up from our seats and walk backward out of the theater and go down the up escalator and watch the money spring from the cash register into our pockets.”

Bwahahaha, holy shit.

Aurongel

Totally agree with him on The Usual Suspects. That film was the Iron Man 3 of its' day where it pulls the rug out from under the viewer then has nothing beyond that to show for it.

C4Lukins

Outside of The Usual Suspects, I do not disagree with most of those choices.

There is some stuff on there like Tommy Boy. But outside of The Usual Suspects, I would rate everyone of those films a five or below out of ten. The Village I may give a 5.5.

He really was my favorite, and if these are his controversial reviews then I am impressed.

YuShtink

Totally disagree about Tommy Boy and plenty of his others reviews over the years, but I love Ebert. His reviews were always enjoyable reads. My parents had a book of his reviews that I used to read all the time when I was younger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom