• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

21 Minutes of Death Stranding Directors Cut iPhone 15 Pro Max Gameplay

nial

Gold Member
Perfect for playing Death Stranding on the beach.
PORE3Eq.jpg

LordOfChaos

The problem with every iPhone is that as impressive as their silicon is for short bursts, they provide almost no cooling and they throttle very fast and then start dimming the display

I hope the 16 line finally has vapor chambers or better cooling. I'd actually love for them to lean into a full "Switch Kit" for it with a TV dock with extra cooling and adaptive standalone to vice grip style controllers, as an Apple official accessory so devs would target it over a third party solution.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Is the market even there for AAA games on mobile. Like sure fortnite so kids can do the jumba-joo with their Nicki manaj skin or whatever.

But like what were the RE conversion sales? Do we know?

Do we see Alan wake 2 being a big hit because it's on mobile for example

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
As impressive as it is to have this run on an iPhone, reading /interacting with the game's busy UI on such a small screen seems like it would be quite frustrating with lots of squinting.

GHG

Don't understand why. This is probably the size of the Switch lite and you can play games like Skyrim, Witcher 3, Dark Souls etc. on there.

sZ8H2Mh.jpg

Personally I wouldn't play games like that on there.

There are certain games that deserve a big screen experience (along with surround sound if you have it). The games you listed fall into that category for me.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Personally I wouldn't play games like that on there.

There are certain games that deserve a big screen experience (along with surround sound if you have it). The games you listed fall into that category for me.

You can play on any tv with any controller. 😵‍💫

But the thing is next years iPhone will be better.. then the year after that.. year after that.

Consoles just will not be able to keep up in a few years. I see iPhone docks becoming a big thing in 3-4 years.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I haven’t followed Apple’s initiative much, but if you can buy a game, and play it on multiple devices besides their phone - then they might do well.

But personally even if I had every device they make that could play games, I still wouldn’t bother playing on my phone. I’d rather just wait until I was on a device that provides a better experience.

Edit: That could change though. Especially if I could easily broadcast it to a TV. Who knows where we’ll be in the next twenty years, but I could see smartphones taking over.

Last edited:

GHG

You can play on any tv with any controller. 😵‍💫

But the thing is next years iPhone will be better.. then the year after that.. year after that.

Consoles just will not be able to keep up in a few years. I see iPhone docks becoming a big thing in 3-4 years.

Ah so this is the new version of "the mobile phone will kill xxxx purpose built device".

I've been hearing for over a decade about how docked mobile phones will replace desktop computers/laptops.

Still waiting.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Ah so this is the new version of "the mobile phone will kill xxxx purpose built device".

I've been hearing for over a decade about how docked mobile phones will replace desktop computers/laptops.

Still waiting.

Did you ever see 3 full on console graphical show case games on any phone in the past? Nope...
plus now that all iOS and android games can also be played on Mac's and pcs.
it's pretty easy to see a consoless future sooner than later.

Be afraid... be very afraid!!! Mwahahafa!!

61062588d94f9c2e91d023b77ecf266a.gif

• Empathy
Reactions: GHG

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The iPhone 15 Pro Max starts at £1200 LOL.

I'm sure Sony are shaking in their boots.

And Millions more people than console owners pay interest free $20 a month to finance them. I don't care if you guys don't like it but don't be obtuse about it. 😵‍💫

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I don’t live in the EU…can someone sea if this is available on their new version of the App Store?

I would also guess this isn’t coming to Android because 1) hardware variance 2) lawless heathens.

(Posted from my droid)

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
And Millions more people than console owners pay interest free $20 a month to finance them. I don't care if you guys don't like it but don't be obtuse about it. 😵‍💫

I like it, but the price is pretty brutal once you start adding on top things like service payments and insurance - the latter being pretty much essential when effectively paying lease-to-buy on such an expensive handset.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
This is genuinely impressive, but like others have said, I'd much rather play this game on a big ol' screen at high res.

I wonder how much money/worker hours it takes to port a game to the iPhone like this. I was surprised with those Sony leaks at how "cheap" it is to port something, so even if it only sells a few thousand copies, it at least breaks even.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Every IPhone I had overheated on me. None of my Samsung phones needed to cool off. They're just not being much of use in hot or warm weather. Felt like mine about to go up in flames once in the summer...

Social Media Burn GIF by Yeremia Adicipta

Oh, yeah, for sure. I had an iphone 11 which was basically useless for gaming because of the screen dimming issue. Couldn't play Cat's Quest for more than a couple of minutes at a time. My former 13 Pro worked fine, though. But my post was actually more of a... joke.

I'll buy it. It looks amazing. Bunch of grandpas on here. I always have my phone on me. There have been plenty of times where I was desperate for something to do while I waited for something, and was sick of browsing the internet.

ZoukGalaxy

*Actually the first 21 minutes were also the last 21 minutes: battery died just after.

Big Mouth Lol GIF by MOODMAN

Please be excited.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
*Actually the first 21 minutes were also the last 21 minutes: battery died just after.

Big Mouth Lol GIF by MOODMAN

Please be excited.

You can charge your phone while connecting to tv via a hdmi usb adapter.

The one big hurdle apple needs to resolve is using external ssds for apps not just file storage.

I just got the iPhone 15 Pro like 2 days ago but as much as I like that phone, I can‘t imagine playing a big game on this thing. Maybe one day I‘ll buy a backbone controller for it and try it out, but they would‘ve add a lot more AAA games to their service first.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
People shitting on this have absolutely zero foresight.

This is just the beginning and we already have phones playing AAA graphically intensive titles that are only a few years old. Even just a few years ago, the idea that a phone could play games like this seemed like a ludicrous idea.

Going to be very interesting to see what this looks like 10 years from now.

Last edited:

DanielG165

I doubt any smartphone could run a full blown console port well, to be fair, not even gaming phones with greater cooling and external fans. That’s why the machines that usually run these types of games are comparatively massive, plugged into a wall, and have all the cooling they need to not choke after 30 minutes.

The A17 Pro itself is an *incredibly* powerful mobile chip, and the things you can do with it are damn impressive. The 15 Pros are still the only phones that can shoot in LOG, for example, and do so at 4K/60 with HDR. But, trying to run a full blown console game on said chip that’s packed inside a tiny device with passive cooling was always going to be a struggle. Though, the fact that you can run games like this AT ALL on your iPhone kind of speaks for itself.

I feel like we’re probably only two generations of iPhone away from this being a truly viable option for some people.

Top Bottom