• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2018 FIFA World Cup |OT| Go big and get VAR'd!

dolabla

Well that sucks. That guy who completely missed..............

Russia has a lot to be proud of though. They were never expected to be here.

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
Thank you Russia for being my pick to go all the way and surprising everyone by getting this far. Great ride! Now all my hopes are with England!

Russia threw it away at the last hurdle. Those were two shocking penalties.

Tough game for England now against a hungry Croatia for a place in the final!

Atrus

Gold Member
Hope Croatia recovers well and plans their strategy to put England away.
Belgium and France keep giving so Tuesdays match of titans will be epic as would a dramatic Croatian win into the finals.

Atrus

Gold Member
Have they found the Russian team in body bags yet?

It would be too public and these folks will be seen as heroes to stay in this long. This won’t happen.

Now the medical team in charge of their athletic doping program on the other hand...

Let’s just say they have some s’plainin to do.

WaterAstro

It would be too public and these folks will be seen as heroes to stay in this long. This won’t happen.

Now the medical team in charge of their athletic doping program on the other hand...

Let’s just say they have some s’plainin to do.
Putin could give them an airplane flight and uh lol

Makariel

Ok, I was wrong on so many levels regarding my last predictions, all the more reasons to predict some more:
France - Belgium the battle of the fries will end 3:4 in favor of the red team, after a counter in the 97th minute when the French team is mentally already preparing for the extra half hour.
Croatia - England will either go 1:2 to England or decided in penalties, in which the Croatian team has a lot of experience by now.

So my prediction is: Belgium - England in the final, which pretty much guarantees France - Croatia to be the outcome, since I've been mostly wrong so far.

Putin could give them an airplane flight and uh lol
A joke doesn't get better just because it's being retold multiple times.

Boss Mog

So after beating Argentina France got an Argentine referee against Uruguay and now after beating Uruguay they're getting a Uruguayan referee against Belgium. I can only assume that if France make it to the final that the referee will be a Belgian. It's kind of fucked up if you ask me, though props to the Argentine referee of the France - Uruguay match, he was very fair and did a good job.

So I was 4/4 on my quarter final predictions so here goes for the semis:

France 3 - 2 Belgium
(AET)

England 1 - 1 Croatia
(3 - 4 PK)

This world cup making me want to buy Fifa 18. Which version is better, ps4 or pc?
Get PES 2018 if you must get one now. I actually picked it up digitally on PS4 last week because it was 7€ on the European PSN Store. It plays really well and you can install files to get all the proper teams, jerseys, competitions, etc... and it has the UEFA Champions League license (PES 2019 won't have it anymore, EA used its financial muscle to steal it)

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Besides the French team, Hazard and Luka Modric, the last 4 teams are lacking star players who can make some playstation moves....the 2014 semifinalists had more quality imo.
Not excited about the end game.
Perhaps i want to see England win it for the lol and smack the arrogant french.

Last edited:

Makariel

Besides the French team, Hazard and Luka Modric, the last 4 teams are lacking star players who can make some playstation moves....the 2014 semifinalists had more quality imo.
Eh, football is a team game and this world cup shows clearly that a good team is greater than a superstar player surrounded by subordinates who seem to be afraid to act on their own. Otherwise Argentina would have been in every final the past few years.

Boss Mog

Not really sure what you're talking about, all 4 teams are star studded with most of the players playing for the best European clubs.
Also the French team was never arrogant and the fans are humble and didn't have high hopes going in to the tournament. Meanwhile England beats Columbia on PKs and their fans are chanting "It's coming home" so who's arrogant?

Atrus

Gold Member

There’s plenty of talent on field for the final 4. They may not be the biggest names but they are still lauded talent. Not everything is about Messi, Ronaldo or Neymar. You’re better off not watching the World Cup if that’s the case, as none have won one and likely never will.

I also don’t see how the French are arrogant. Their matches have taken all opponents with the seriousness they deserve because that side of the bracket has been a bloodbath of skilled opponents.

The English team on the other hand beats some impoverished Central American countries, who are happy just to show up for their first World Cup, and a Colombian team without its star player on PKs and now they’re the greatest heroes in English history.

How easily we forget the English tradition of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

WaterAstro

I haven't followed footy for a while, but why is France stronger? This Belgium team is just as stacked and, I think, even better on defense.

I'd put Courtois over Lloris by a bit, and I'm more assured of Belgium's defenders.

Mr Hyde

Talk about quality football the first half of the game. Both teams pushes through and creates some good chances to score. Very entertaining so far. Second half is going to be a blast if this continues.

Atrus

Gold Member
Two titanic teams, each with incredible keepers, grinding against each other to win.

This is probably the game of the World Cup right here. I’ll be sad to see either lose.

Fantastic to watch.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Belgium’s keeper seems like a badass.

(Sorry in advance for noob talk, hah, I’ve only seen the end of Belgium/Brazil and the current match this WC)

Alx

All the keepers of the last 4 contenders seem skilled and in good shape actually , they all had their spectacular and critical saves.

Makariel

I doubt the actual final will be that good, but I'm happy to be proven wrong on that front.

Some truly excellent saves so far!

Mr Hyde

Lol, I could hear my neighbours scream like crazy. They are usually very quiet. Guess they root for France.

Makariel

I'm amazed anyone can get past the bunch of hair and elbows that is Fellaini!

Belgium one down but they already have shown how fast they can get back.

Mr Hyde

The biggest thing in this game was not the world class football these two teams displayed this evening or the beautiful header from Umiti that took France to the final, it's that I just noticed that Thierry Henry was assistant coach for Belgium. WTF?

Atrus

Gold Member
Congratulations to France.

A hard fought victory from an incredibly good squad, better than the German squad in 2014.

The Belgian team can hold their head high as the games against their opponents have been the best matches of the tournament.

Makariel

France did everything right today, as soon as they lost the ball they built a wall, kept calm and had an answer to anything Belgium could throw at them. And Mbappe is a rocket on legs.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Belgium had a lot of possession but failed to create any real chances except for the shot Lloris blocked. France created way more chances while defending superbly. They deserved to win, but props to Belgium for a good show in this tournament.

longdi

Banned
As expected! France is too good, a well built team with talented players!

Another comfortable win.

I was saying, there is just a lack of super talents in the other 3 semis. Even though Belgium had Eden and Kevin, you won't count on Lukaku or Feiliani conjuring moments of magic.

If Brazil had more random luck, they should have faced off with France and we get a good fight. Im sure the frogs will have more trouble containing neymar,coutinho,jesus,marcello,renato!

You seen a shitty Argentina scored 3 against them with moments of inspiration! Imagine. Brazil with similar forwards but with a better defence and team play!

Unless England does a Portugal, contain contain and bunch of random luck, i can see France win the finals 3-0!

Last edited:

HarryKS

As expected! France is too good, a well built team with talented players!

Another comfortable win.

I was saying, there is just a lack of super talents in the other 3 semis. Even though Belgium had Eden and Kevin, you won't count on Lukaku or Feiliani conjuring moments of magic.

If Brazil had more random luck, they should have faced off with France and we get a good fight. Im sure the frogs will have more trouble containing neymar,coutinho,jesus,marcello,renato!

You seen a shitty Argentina scored 3 against them with moments of inspiration! Imagine. Brazil with similar forwards but with a better defence and team play!

Unless England does a Portugal, contain contain and bunch of random luck, i can see France win the finals 3-0!

They raised their game today. This was not the same France that played earlier.

Well, I'd like to see France v England. France is a fun team to watch. They've been better here at the finals than they were in qualification - despite topping the group. I'm pulling for them to get their 2nd title.

Top Bottom