• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014/15 UEFA Champions League Final |OT| Juve vs Barca

Status
Not open for further replies.

NolbertoS

Great final by Barca. Juventus were hoping to go into extra time or penalty kicks. Thr EPL, Bundesliga, Le Lige, will have to step it up next season for Champions League glory. Been watching La Liga this year and as much as its entertaining, the hegemony of Barca and Real has to stop. The other spanish clubs should side against the big 2 and get more TV exposure and international rights.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
goat

just still bums the cynic in me that it all comes down to money

Actually, it comes down to being a great team at all age levels of the competition, and nurturing players thorough their careers in the best possible way. Achieving this is only possible by being an extremely focused club.

Montoya
Pique*
Busquets*
Xavi*
Pedro
Iniesta*
Rafinha
Bartra
Alba*
Roberto
Masip

All of those are first team players formed in the club, playing for the team before they were 14yrs old. Money matters, but it's all about how you spend it. If it truly came down to "money", United, Bayern, or Madrid would have been the dominant team in the past decade, not Barcelona.

*starters.

Syntsui

Great final by Barca. Juventus were hoping to go into extra time or penalty kicks. Thr EPL, Bundesliga, Le Lige, will have to step it up next season for Champions League glory. Been watching La Liga this year and as much as its entertaining, the hegemony of Barca and Real has to stop. The other spanish clubs should side against the big 2 and get more TV exposure and international rights.
Alt Madrid did win last Spanish League and almost won CL. Too bad they couldn't hold their key players.

Firemind

He's the highest paid player in the world because Barcelona basically took him at zero cost at a young age and carefully nurtured his talent. That hardly goes along with the contention here that Barca throw transfer money at things and buy all the best players ala Madrid so poor poor teams like Juventus can't compete. Barca's greatest players are all home-grown.
But Barca's greatest player isn't home grown.

Portugeezer

CG2Ic9BW8AIYVNu.jpg

Legends cry :(

In all his years, it still matters so much to him.

Legend.

jtb

Banned
Pique and Alba developed at other clubs, then were bought back. Barcelona are undeniably good at developing talent and they have given young talent a chance, but they're no different than any other football club. Barcelona have a ton of money and when they see holes in their team, they generally throw a ton of money to fix that problem. Which is perfectly fine because that's what good football clubs should do.

United and Bayern develop young players too and United was the dominant team in Europe for a few years, before the passing of the torch to Barcelona in Rome. Good teams tend to have both an established spine, while adding fresh blood each season. Barcelona is no exception.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Pique and Alba developed at other clubs, then were bought back. Barcelona are undeniably good at developing talent and they have given young talent a chance, but they're no different than any other football club. Barcelona have a ton of money and when they see holes in their team, they generally throw a ton of money to fix that problem. Which is perfectly fine because that's what good football clubs should do.

United and Bayern develop young players too and United was the dominant team in Europe for a few years, before the passing of the torch to Barcelona in Rome. Good teams tend to have both an established spine, while adding fresh blood each season. Barcelona is no exception.

It is easier to throw money to cover a few holes like what Barcelona is doing, than to throw money to buy a whole squad. I am not saying Barca doesn't have money, but what makes them dominate Europe is their ability to develop their players. The same reason that elevated Manchester United to UCL glory in 99.

I must say though, United never really dominated Europe at the level Barca is doing it. Passing the torch lol.

Here's what Oliver Kahn had to say about the 2-1 and Buffon (loose translation): "You never should let the ball bounce off your hands like that in such an important final. I know what I'm talking about." Ha! Never liked him as a player but as an expert of german TV he's quite entertaining from time to time.

jtb

Banned
It is easier to throw money to cover a few holes like what Barcelona is doing, than to throw money to buy a whole squad. I am not saying Barca doesn't have money, but what makes them dominate Europe is their ability to develop their players. The same reason that elevated Manchester United to UCL glory in 99.

I must say though, United never really dominated Europe at the level Barca is doing it. Passing the torch lol.

That 07-08 United team was one of the strongest club teams ever assembled imo, right up there with the 08-09 Barcelona team that beat them in Rome. The only reason United didn't dominate longer was because Ronaldo was sold and the Glazers didn't reinvest that huge sum of money. And I say that as an Arsenal fan.

The Barcelona teams that have dominated are really three different teams—the 06 team, which is barely recognizable compared to the 09-12 Guardiola teams, and now this team, which is way more direct than the Guardiola team, though it does have a lot of the same spine carried over. So when I'm comparing the teams, I'm really comparing that 06-09 United team to the 08-12 Guardiola Barcelona team.

Porcile

That 07-08 United team was one of the strongest club teams ever assembled imo, right up there with the 08-09 Barcelona team that beat them in Rome. The only reason United didn't dominate longer was because Ronaldo was sold and the Glazers didn't reinvest that huge sum of money. And I say that as an Arsenal fan.

The Barcelona teams that have dominated are really three different teams—the 06 team, which is barely recognizable compared to the 09-12 Guardiola teams, and now this team, which is way more direct than the Guardiola team, though it does have a lot of the same spine carried over. So when I'm comparing the teams, I'm really comparing that 06-09 United team to the 08-12 Guardiola Barcelona team.

Manchester United had ONE great team, which won ONE final on penalties. The other two finals they were completely annihilated. Barcelona, Real Madrid, AC Milan and Bayern Munich have been far more successful.

Gothos

This season shows that when Messi is determined enough and actually gives a fuck Barca is basically unstoppable. It was so clear that he wanted to win EVERYTHING this season. I guess next year he'll be his shadow again :)

jtb

Banned
Manchester United had ONE great team, which won ONE final on penalties. The other two finals they were completely annihilated. Barcelona, Real Madrid, AC Milan and Bayern Munich have been far more successful.

Eh. It's hard to win in Europe. As far as recent European teams go, they're behind Barcelona, tied with Milan, way ahead of the rest. Madrid? Bayern? Don't make me laugh.

Anyways, the point is... the Barcelona mythology of homegrown players is dumb. Just about every big club developed young players, the only ones that don't are the oil ones and Real Madrid.

Pranay

Eh. It's hard to win in Europe. As far as recent European teams go, they're behind Barcelona, tied with Milan, way ahead of the rest. Madrid? Bayern? Don't make me laugh.

Anyways, the point is... the Barcelona mythology of homegrown players is dumb. Just about every big club developed young players, the only ones that don't are the oil ones and Real Madrid.

Bayern have dominated better then Man Utd

Played 3 finals (2 runners up and 1 Winner) in 4 years is a better achievement

Regarding Real, they have been in consecutive semi final for last 5 years , winning once

Porcile

If you go back on the last fifteen years it's been.

Barcelona - Four wins.
Real Madrid - Three wins.
Ac Milan - Two Wins, one final.
Bayern Munich - Two wins, two finals.
Manchester United - One win, two finals.

Even if you took out Real Madrid completely (why though? since they've had five semi-finals in a row now) and Bayern's 2001 title, Bayern still have an equal amount of finals and wins compared to Manchester United in a comparable three year period (2010-2013). Milan in a four year period (2003-2007) won two titles and were in another final.

edit - four and five years it should be. I need to learn how to count or go to bed. haha

cebri.one

UCL Trophies (last decade)

Barça 4
Milan 1
M. United 1
Inter 1
Chelsea 1
Bayern 1
Real Madrid 1

edit:

BTW Spain has won, during the last decade, 18 european trophies. The second best is England with... 3.

Pranay

Just shows how pathetic is La Liga. Thanks to that Barca/RM can focus their efforts on Champions League.

Yeah thats why they have 5 teams in next season ucl and a la liga team winning a europa league as well

Those 2 teams are too just way better then the competition rather then others being weak.

(which was true 3 seasons ago but not now)

Porcile

The only English teams you could ever rightly say have dominated European football for a certain period are Liverpool and... Nottingham Forest?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
UCL Trophies (last decade)

Barça 4
Milan 1
M. United 1
Inter 1
Chelsea 1
Bayern 1
Real Madrid 1

It really is unbelievable when you think that before the last decade Barça only had 1 (CC), the team was one that "always could but never was" just like Spain, damn Cruyff really did change everything.

Well, our treble's safe :p

It was an enjoyable match, got a bit scared in the 2nd half but then Suarez scored while momentum was strongly in Juve's favor (just like Morata did).

Both sides' first goal were pure football magic, sooooo goood.

lol at people saying Neimar's header was legit: the ball would've not gone inside the net if it weren't for the handball (with his arm's reaching far from his body), thus invalidating the goal; intention has nothing to do with this kind of decisions, end of story. Though call, for once the goalpost referee earned his fee, especially considering the lineman made the wrong call, luckily the ref listened to the right person on the field.

Pirlo sobbing was cute.

Porcile

RM didn't win la Liga last season.They were 3rd. And Sevilla has won the Europa League this year, again.

Not forgetting Atletico won the Europa League in 2010 and 2012, beating an English team in one final, and another Spanish team (by the way, a Spanish team which completely destroyed Manchester United home and away earlier in the competition) in the other final. They then won the Super Cup by beating an English team comfortably.

Dash Kappei

Damn the mental gymnastics EPL's fans do is rather embarrassing....

Just shows how pathetic is La Liga. Thanks to that Barca/RM can focus their efforts on Champions League.

Yeah that's why they have a record-setting 5 teams in the UCL next year, with Sevilla double winners of UEL ('14 and '15), Barça current UCL's winners, RM past UCL's winners and Atletico past UCL's finalists and 2010 and 2012 UEL's winners. What a joke of a league, yeah...
The years of a two teams league are well in the past my friend, not true anymore.

Busquets is such a shit cunt. Troll King of the sneaky foul

Now that I absolutely agree with
a095b62ba601cdf2e9b5ff3d0e9c8069_biscuitsshakey.gif

krYlon

Good final. A bit helter skelter, seemed like the two teams just went for it. Made it very entertaining.

Real Madrid have won La Liga once in the last seven years.

Also, as well as the achievements of Sevilla and Atletico as others have pointed out, Malaga reached the quarter finals of the Champions League two years ago where they very narrowly lost out to eventual runners-up Dortmund.

alterno69

Banned
At least it was kinda close for most of the game, Juve put some pressure in the second half before Buffon decided to fuck it up.

I wanted to see Pirlo win it, the man is a legend.

Good win for Barcelona again.

alterno69

Banned
I think he was caught standing on the wrong foot before the first shot by Messi, the ball wasn't very far from him to spit it out like that, straught into Suarez feet.

It reminded me of Van Der Sar fucking it up in the last final against Barcelona by conceding that Messi goal too.

Dash Kappei

At least it was kinda close for most of the game, Juve put some pressure in the second half before Buffon decided to fuck it up.

I wanted to see Pirlo win it, the man is a legend.

Good win for Barcelona again.

Pirlo's won 2 already (+1 WC), that's enough.
How did Buffon fucked it up exactly, he was arguably Juve's MVP

I know it didn't matter but holy cow at the offside on that last goal......

It always matters in a UCL final. Juve didn't deserve to lose 1 - 3 (as much as it brings me satisfaction :p), 1 goal lead by Barça was fair, two is a bit much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom