• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 World Hockey Championship of watching real hockey again.

Heretic

Probably, unless USA chokes against Switzerland, and Slovakia beats France. Then quarters would be Canada-USA and Finland-Slovakia.

Of course that might change if Canada actually lost to Belarus, but that's obviously not going to happen.
I see. Thanks for the info!

Socreges

Banned
Haven't seen the brackets but wouldn't the US face Finland in the quarters? I remember the announcers mentioning that Finland and the US would meet again in the quarters
Isn't decided yet.

Assuming that Canada ends up as H1, there's actually no way that Canada could face Finland (since Finland beat Slovakia), so I was wrong. They will most likely face Slovakia, but could conceivably face the US or even France (if France beats Slovakia, which won't happen).

Heretic

Isn't decided yet.

Assuming that Canada ends up as H1, there's actually no way that Canada could face Finland (since Finland beat Slovakia), so I was wrong. They will most likely face Slovakia, but could conceivably face the US or even France (if France beats Slovakia, which won't happen).
It seems strange to me that the USA are considered pretty big underdogs. I think they have a fair chance at winning the championship. Especially if they continue playing like they played against Finland.

Socreges

Banned
Isn't decided yet.

...it happened. If Canada beats Belarus (tied 1-1 now), they'll face France in the quarters. Awesome.

[edit] Corey Perry is obviously concerned that someone is going to think he gives a shit.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
...it happened. If Canada beats Belarus (tied 1-1 now), they'll face France in the quarters. Awesome.

[edit] Corey Perry is obviously concerned that someone is going to think he gives a shit.

Huh? France-Slovakia match hasn't even started yet.

Heretic

Did you not see the goal? That was exactly when I made the post. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFMMqUaeRiM#t=44s

Looked so lazy there standing upright with his stick in the air, as if the play was already dead. Just kind of funny.

Hahaha yeah. Lucky bounce. Ducks are lighting the lamp today! Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, and Fowler have scored today. Sbisa and Palmieri were the only ones missing from the score sheet. Overall good day for my boys.

Looks like it's USA vs Finland afterall and Canada vs Slovakia

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It seems strange to me that the USA are considered pretty big underdogs. I think they have a fair chance at winning the championship. Especially if they continue playing like they played against Finland.

These are the medals the US has won in the championship since their last gold:

1960: Gold
1962: Bronze
1996: Bronze
2004: Bronze

That's it. Not too hard to see why few expect them to win or even reach the gold game. Could it happen? Sure. But judging from past results it doesn't seem very likely. The US may be a big hockey nation, but on the national team level they're simply not up there with the best.

These are the medals the US has won in the championship since their last gold:

1960: Gold
1962: Bronze
1996: Bronze
2004: Bronze

That's it. Not too hard to see why few expect them to win or even reach the gold game. Could it happen? Sure. But judging from past results it doesn't seem very likely. The US may be a big hockey nation, but on the national team level they're simply not up there with the best.
Come on, just because they are bad in a tournament when they are at clear disadvantage to all non North American countries you don' think they are up with the best? If we look at tournaments with the worlds best players they won the World Cup 96 and lost the final 91(CC) and finished second in both Salt Lake City and Vancouver.

Before Sweden won in Turin we hadn't finished better then second in a tournament with the best players, and that was 84.

Socreges

Banned
They're absolutely up there with the best. They do struggle a bit on the larger ice surface, though, whereas Canada has more skill to help compensate. Canada/U.S. also don't get as many of their best players out to the WHC as European nations.

This year they're rep'ed a lot better, though, and done really well so far.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
They're absolutely up there with the best. They do struggle a bit on the larger ice surface, though, whereas Canada has more skill to help compensate. Canada/U.S. also don't get as many of their best players out to the WHC as European nations.

This year they're rep'ed a lot better, though, and done really well so far.

But that's just it. Canada has done a hell of a lot better than the US in the WC. Canada is one of the best hockey teams in WC history, while the US is not. They're consistently in the the top 4-8, yes, but they're usually not all the way up there with the best of the best.

They have done a bit better in the Olympics, though.

Anyway, my post was really just meant to illustrate why few expect the US to win the WC, since that's what I was replying to.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Pacioretty is second only to Malkin in tourney points, and has the most points for a US player in the tourney since 1976 apparently, awesome stuff. It's also pretty sweet seeing him play with Ryan.

What a day tomorrow. The most interesting games beforehand is USA - FINLAND and SWEDEN - CZECH REPUBLIC.

The Czech Republic looked mediocre and was outplayed against Sweden in the Preliminary Round but apparently played a huge last game against the germans. Has Sweden fully rehabilitated after the upsetting game against Russia? Not to mention all the player injuries.

USA looked great against a very bad looking Finland. This one is hard but Finland has been having problems scoring this tournament. Also might have bad confidence after the 5 - 0 loss before. I predict an american victory.

Norway upsetting Russia? We'll see! ;)

There is a top3, Russia, Canada, Sweden.

Top6, Czech Republic, Finland, USA

etc! ;) ,

Withouth an NHL break, sure I can buy this. But with an NHL break I wouldn't put Sweden at a higher level then the US. On big ice maybe a small advantage for Sweden and on small ice a small advantage for the US.

Withouth an NHL break, sure I can buy this. But with an NHL break I wouldn't put Sweden at a higher level then the US. On big ice maybe a small advantage for Sweden and on small ice a small advantage for the US.
It's not like Sweden has all its stars playing every wc either. This year is the exception, but we always manage either way.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Great start for Slovakia, 2-0 already. Still think Canada has this, but Slovakia has been improving a lot during the tournament.

Spocker

Slovakia beating Canada is a real surprise considering how bad Slovakia has been for a couple of years now..

Still they have the strange habit of playing good (or making their opponents play bad) in the quarter finals. Sweden remembers the Olympic Games 2010.

Damn. Never would have guessed that Slovakia beats Canada considering that Slovakian ice hockey has been in pretty big downward spiral for couple of years. Still just shows how much you can conpensate the lack of skilled players with tight team play.

Sweden has not missed the semi-finals in 12 straight years, god damn. To bad I have a bad feeling about tonights game..

Now USA - Finland!! Good day to be a hockey fan.

Drazgul

Aaaawww yeeaaaahhh!

WIN-mm2011.gif

Heretic

DAMMIT!!!!

USA 2 - 3 Finland

He who laughs last laughs best...

Seeing his hometown advance better motivate Teemu to continue playing!

Heretic

Better watch out what you wish for, or you'll have another Gordie Howe on your hands.

Yeah... I want him back but at the same time I want the Ducks to focus on the future now. It's going to suck seeing him go but we have some pretty good prospects that I'm excited to see.

Blah... stupid Finland.

AAequal

Banned
I was at edge of my seat for the whole match. Go Finland! Still I think Russia is set for gold, but I would do anything to see Sweden vs Finland gold game.

Top Bottom