• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1920's Hollywood stunts were INSANE

GreyHorace

So I watched the latest of Corridor Crew's videos of Stuntmen React, and they showed clips from an old 1920's silent film The Show by Larry Semon.

Holy Shit. The clips of those guys running atop the train were unreal as were the shots of people jumping on top of the train from a bridge! We also can't discount the absolute madness of that motorcycle with sidecar crossing in front of the fucking train!

I know stunts like these were pretty commonplace back in the day, but it still blows my mind that there were people crazy enough to do shit like this without the benefit of greenscreens, CGI or even safety harnesses.

And we can't have a thread like this without mentioning Jackie Chan's idol, Buster Keaton and the crazy stuff he did. If he wasn't a comedy actor, Keaton would probably be called the most badass action star by today's standards.

Keaton-4.gif

three-ages-02.gif

DqCn_f.gif

I_D

When I saw the thread title, I was going to recommend Corridor Crew. Looks like you have that covered.

I don't really have anything else to add, other than that people should check out as many movies as they can from before CG existed. The stunts people pulled off, especially with vehicles, are insane.
Everything from Wings to significantly more-recent stuff like Smokey and the Bandit are basically illegal to even attempt nowadays.

INC

Gives me heart palpation just watching buster keaton

Closes we have now is Jackie chan and Tom cruise

Last edited:

GreyHorace

When I saw the thread title, I was going to recommend Corridor Crew. Looks like you have that covered.

I don't really have anything else to add, other than that people should check out as many movies as they can from before CG existed. The stunts people pulled off, especially with vehicles, are insane.
Everything from Wings to significantly more-recent stuff like Smokey and the Bandit are basically illegal to even attempt nowadays.

Just watched the dogfight from Wings. That shit is indeed insane. You can tell they actually filmed the pilots flying those planes.

Another example that blows my mind yet isn't from 20's, is the chariot race from 1959's Ben Hur.

GreyHorace

Harold Loyd’s “Safety Last” is a classic here, half the movie is just him climbing up a building as people open windows, things pop out at him, etc. Amazing death defying stunts.

Did they actually film that on the side of a building? Holy shit.

And you probably already know this. The clock stunt was paid homage by Jackie Chan in Project A.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Miss this.

Spectacle used to mean so much more when it was real. Seeing the latest crazy stunts was always a jaw-dropping moment, and gave a story a little bit of edge-of-your-seat realism, knowing that someone actually did and filmed this frightening thing.

I understand why it’s gone out of fashion. When you can literally render anything, and pretty convincingly, what use is putting people at risk to tell your story? But there will always be daredevils, and I’d like to see more of this. Just put a disclaimer in front of the movie, so I know that all this stuff was done for real.

GreyHorace

Miss this.

Spectacle used to mean so much more when it was real. Seeing the latest crazy stunts was always a jaw-dropping moment, and gave a story a little bit of edge-of-your-seat realism, knowing that someone actually did and filmed this frightening thing.

I understand why it’s gone out of fashion. When you can literally render anything, and pretty convincingly, what use is putting people at risk to tell your story? But there will always be daredevils, and I’d like to see more of this. Just put a disclaimer in front of the movie, so I know that all this stuff was done for real.

I know what you mean. It seems like filmmakers today have forgotten how to wow audiences with practical stunts and effects since the advent of CGI.

The only director in recent memory who's done something akin to this is George Miller with Mad Max Fury Road.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So I watched the latest of Corridor Crew's videos of Stuntmen React, and they showed clips from an old 1920's silent film The Show by Larry Semon.

Holy Shit. The clips of those guys running atop the train were unreal as were the shots of people jumping on top of the train from a bridge! We also can't discount the absolute madness of that motorcycle with sidecar crossing in front of the fucking train!

I know stunts like these were pretty commonplace back in the day, but it still blows my mind that there were people crazy enough to do shit like this without the benefit of greenscreens, CGI or even safety harnesses.

And we can't have a thread like this without mentioning Jackie Chan's idol, Buster Keaton and the crazy stuff he did. If he wasn't a comedy actor, Keaton would probably be called the most badass action star by today's standards.

Keaton-4.gif

three-ages-02.gif

DqCn_f.gif

These gifs are overused and not really that impressive

Nymphae

Banned
It made me laugh so hard rewatching Buffy this year, they do so many cuts to stunt men in the fights, celebs are such pussies now for the most part, also probably more red tape these days

GreyHorace

It made me laugh so hard rewatching Buffy this year, they do so many cuts to stunt men in the fights, celebs are such pussies now for the most part, also probably more red tape these days

This is why I respect Keanu Reeves so much. He may not be that good an actor, but man does the guy go 100% in doing his own stunts.

Tschumi

Buster Keaton /thread
giphy.gif

I like those people are insane 20XX videos, literally make me sweat and cringe. Movies don't really thrill me anymore because you know it's all fake but shit like this goes straight to my core

Pretty sure one of those dudes killed themselves doing that a few years ago.. maybe not those specific guys

Edit: explain to me how they're fake? Interesting!

Last edited by a moderator:

jason10mm

Gold Member
My big problem with cgi is when directors use a camera angle that cant work in real like (having it spin around nonsensically in the Black Panther Killmonger final fight is a particularly egregious example) that really adds to the "fakeness". Another problem is overuse, if EVERYONE is jumping off buildings then it lessens the impact of that one important building jump.

For me the best use is masking stunt men and hiding wires/pads for REAL stunts. Make physical stunts safer, not obsolete!

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
This reminds me on a similar note how the Three Stooges used to get hurt due to the general negligence of Columbia's Jules White. This wasn't 20's but most were shot in the 30's and 40's. I'm not sure if they say it in the video but the part where Moe falls off the table and broke his ribs; he passed out as soon as the take was finished. Columbia has no regard for him whatsoever and I believe he made a quick and short trip to the doctor and was required to come back to finish filming the same day.

GreyHorace

This reminds me on a similar note how the Three Stooges used to get hurt due to the general negligence of Columbia's Jules White. This wasn't 20's but most were shot in the 30's and 40's. I'm not sure if they say it in the video but the part where Moe falls off the table and broke his ribs; he passed out as soon as the take was finished. Columbia has no regard for him whatsoever and I believe he made a quick and short trip to the doctor and was required to come back to finish filming the same day.

Oh yeah. I've read how the Stooges used to get abused because their slimeball of a manager signed them to a bad contract.

Good thing they came out fine after they retired from making movies, largely because of Moe Howard's business savvy in investing their earnings. Larry was able to retire in comfort despite his compulsive gambling and Curly received medical care after he had a stroke.

It's a case of an actor being the total opposite of his screen persona. Moe may have been an abusive bully onscreen, but offscreen he was one of the nicest guys in showbiz.

moe-howard-200.jpg

GreyHorace

My big problem with cgi is when directors use a camera angle that cant work in real like (having it spin around nonsensically in the Black Panther Killmonger final fight is a particularly egregious example) that really adds to the "fakeness".

Regarding this, the Corridor Crew on one of their early VFX Artists React videos talked about Pacific Rim. They mentioned that despite the CG robots, Guillermo Del Toro shot them in a way that made it look like there was a camera on set. That's why there are no swooping aerial shots at impossible angles, because Del Toro wanted to emphasize the mass and weight of these huge mecha as if they were occupying real 3d space. It's one of the reasons why the sequel, Pacific RIm Uprising, was such a dismal failure.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Oh yeah. I've read how the Stooges used to get abused because their slimeball of a manager signed them to a bad contract.

Good thing they came out fine after they retired from making movies, largely because of Moe Howard's business savvy in investing their earnings. Larry was able to retire in comfort despite his compulsive gambling and Curly received medical care after he had a stroke.

It's a case of an actor being the total opposite of his screen persona. Moe may have been an abusive bully onscreen, but offscreen he was one of the nicest guys in showbiz.

moe-howard-200.jpg
All true.
Some interesting facts about each of the Stooges you may not have known:

- Shemp was part of the original trio during their early vaudeville years but was replaced by his brother Jerome "Curly" Horwitz
- Curly always hated having his head and beard shaved. He originally started acting with long curly hair and a moustache and beard (a few rare photos exist of Curly like this). He shaved his head and beard as part of his sign-on deal with Ted Healy's Stooges
- Larry was a multi-musician. He was first picked up into the Stooges after being witnessed by Ted Healy playing violin as part of a comedy act in the 1920's. He was a professional violinist but also knew how to play basic guitar.
- Moe was just like described; he was the nicest in real life of the Stooges (next to Shemp who was well-liked by his fans). Moe had a hobby for making arts and crafts outside work. The band didn't have a real account manager - so Moe took the responsibility of helping manage finances for Curly and Larry.

GreyHorace

- Shemp was part of the original trio during their early vaudeville years but was replaced by his brother Jerome "Curly" Horwitz

I liked that even though Shemp left the Stooges, Moe was supportive and encouraged him. Shemp would go on to have a successful solo career but returned to the Stooges after Curly had a stroke. He didn't want to come back but knew Moe and Larry would be out of a job if he didn't. All to repay Moe's kindness.

Last edited:
Harold Loyd’s “Safety Last” is a classic here, half the movie is just him climbing up a building as people open windows, things pop out at him, etc. Amazing death defying stunts.

Me, afraid of heights, watching the guy wobbling around after hitting his head at the end:
'Fuck you for making this and stressing me out'

That was amazing. :eek:

Stitch

Gold Member
Tiger on Beat is great but they should've shown this stunt from Tiger on Beat 2

In the movie Conan Lee just stands up but he actually spent some time in Hospital.

Last edited:
Top Bottom