• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1899 Cancelled

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Never watched it. But wiki says it got positive reviews and was a highly watched show. Maybe the show costs too much to make. Who knows

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
That's a bummer. I thought Dark was a terrific series. I watched the first two episodes of 1899 yesterday and they were excellent. Guess the first series ends on a cliffhanger and none of the mysteries will ever be explained..

It's a fucking crazy world when Netflix creates multiple god awful shows based upon The Witcher books and lore, and then cancels an original series that's actually good.

SJRB

Gold Member
That sucks, I just finished the first episode.

Might as well bail.

I wish writers would just publish the rest of the story when a show gets cancelled so people get closure on events.

Trilobit

It had all the ingredients I like, scifi, ships, 19th Century, mystery. But I still gave up half way because it didn't have characters I cared about.

DKehoe

Pity, it looked interesting. For those of you who have seen it, did the season 1 finale serve as a decent conclusion or leave things hanging?

cormack12

Gold Member
Pity, it looked interesting. For those of you who have seen it, did the season 1 finale serve as a decent conclusion or leave things hanging?

It closes as a complete season. It leaves it open to imagine what happens beyond but the story gets wrapped up in itself.

Pejo

The setting for the show had a ton of potential, but it squandered with the slowest most boring story they could come up with.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Not surprised. It was a hot mess from the get go, felt simultaneously very chaste yet salacious in ways I don't care for, and the core mystery, such as it was, didn't deliver AT ALL.

Neolombax

Ah well. It wasnt a good show anyway. The premise was interesting at the start, later on it just dragged and there was nothing substantial revealed by the end. The cliffhanger ending didn't make me curious for more, it was a relief that the season was over.

Valonquar

Yet another smart TV series canceled so the masses can get more bullshit cheap reality TV garbage and bargain bin foreign stuff full of the worst CGI imaginable.

I'm just going to stop watching Sci-fi altogether until a show has had 4+ seasons with an ending already out or promised.

Last edited:
Yet another smart TV series was canceled so the masses can get more bullshit cheap reality TV garbage and bargain bin foreign stuff full of the worst CGI imaginable.

I'm just going to stop watching Sci-fi altogether until a show has had 4+ seasons with an ending already out or promised.
smart shouldn't be a synonym of boring-pretentious-slow

LEGFrZL.png

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Netflix: "HEY GUYS COME CHECK OUT OUR AWESOME AND FULLY FUNDED ORIGINAL CONTENT!"

Also Netflix: "We regret to inform you that the show we spent months shoving into your face, spent millions on, viciously pushed advertising for, and allowed you to get attached to has now been cancelled"

Absolute. Joke. Their continued habit of cancelling shows after a single season combined with their imminent subscriber problems is going to sink them I think. They got too comfortable and allowed themselves to fall behind in content as well as public confidence. They are fucked.

Dr.D00p

Many of these over hyped Netflix shows are discovering that what makes for good, time sucking viewing during a lockdown does not make for good viewing when there is no lockdown...

jakinov

What the fuck? This was a great show. And instead we get shit like blood origin. Netflix wake the fuck up
You aren't getting blood origin instead of 1899. You got both. But you just are not getting more of 1899. If Blood origin wasn't a limited series, it would have probably been cancelled too.

1899 was probably really expensive and the viewership didn't justify the costs. It placed on the charts but considering a lot of the sentiment has been somewhat mixed, many people likely started but didn't finish the show.

Last edited:
Netflix knows exactly how many people watched it all, how many gave up after a few episodes and how that translates into customer retention and growth. And there was a time when they were fat with VC cash and competition was barely present in the streaming market. BAck then they could afford to take a chance on a second season for something that did not do as well as expected.
But they are now struggling to keep going with rivals swimming in cash from other parts of their megacorporation, content libraries going back to others and just saturation of content.

And 1899 was just not good enough. I've seen Dark 2,5 times (rewatched season 1 before 2 came out and 1 and 2 before 3 came out) and was really stoked for this.

Last edited:

RaduN

I liked some of the actors and the effort put into the setting and effects, but it was pure crap otherwise.
Dark at least had that generations spawning family tree gimmik going for it. This had absolutely nothing.

xrnzaaas

The concept of the show was interesting, but actually watching it was something else. It didn't click with me and I dropped out during episode 3. I bet other viewers have done the same thing and Netlix figured out not many would tune in for season 2 (and it's not a show you can randomly start watching, you need to see the whole thing).

Sonik

I love how Netflix keeps cancelling the shows that are the least bit interesting but keeps flinging absolute shit on the wall non-stop. Has anyone watched First Kill? This fucking company actually thought this thing was a good financial investment but cancel shows like 1899 that although not great were at least a little interesting. Same with Resident Evil and the new Witcher abomination that these delusional fucks approved.

I honestly wouldn't be so perplexed about this decision because like I said the show wasn't anything special if they had better content and didn't keep spamming us with trash. If you have stock in this company you better bail out, these people are complete morons

Dr.Morris79

I love how Netflix keeps cancelling the shows that are the least bit interesting but keeps flinging absolute shit on the wall non-stop. Has anyone watched First Kill? This fucking company actually thought this thing was a good financial investment but cancel shows like 1899 that although not great were at least a little interesting. Same with Resident Evil and the new Witcher abomination that these delusional fucks approved.

I honestly wouldn't be so perplexed about this decision because like I said the show wasn't anything special if they had better content and didn't keep spamming us with trash. If you have stock in this company you better bail out, these people are complete morons
Exactly my thoughts on it.

Valonquar

Canceled good Sci-Fi shows recently:
The Expanse (at least the books are there with an ending)
Westworld (reeeealy needed that final season, but most agree it was going far downhill)
Raised By Wolves (Sad, but not suprised to see it go, too weird for most viewers I think. The lore was interesting anyhow)
1899 ( For the people that liked it, it just seemed like a forgone conclusion they'd be making more. I mean, if you liked Dark, you'd like this, and they gave Dark multiple seasons.)

Hugare

Loved Dark, but didnt enjoy this show at all

The cast of characters were very unlikable. The idea of each one of them speaking a different language was neat on paper, but made their interactions limited.

It was ridiculous to see people that doesnt understand each other bonding, and even falling in love 'cause ... yeah.

And this show probably cost a ton of money, and would cost even more now with a completely change of setting in season 2

They would have to have lots of viewers to justify its existence, and they didnt.

Honestly this is why I don't even bother watching new shows on any network/service as they're running. I miss out on any hype or fervent discussion but don't care about that. I'll especially not waste my time on a show that is cancelled early.

1899 was interesting for the first few episode then went to shit. glad it's cancelled.

netflix need to stop throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks though. stop greenlighting everything and anything. the shows that have promise get the best directors/writers you can and if you do green light it then at least give it 2-3 seasons to find it's footing. if things don't look great then decide early what you're doing with it so you can let the writers wrap it up. if season 2 + 3 suck don't hold off to see the reception to decide if you want to season 4. the worst thing about all this is getting invested in a story/characters and then being left hanging not knowing how it ends. that shit makes me very hesitant to start any shows until it gets super great reviews after a few seasons. i'm not wasting my time watching trash you're gonna just shit can.

Last edited:
Bit of a shame would have like to see where it went. That said I'm not surprised.

Didn't hold a candle to Dark which is a top tier show

Not gonna lie, the show looked right up my alley when I saw the original trailers but after reading impressions I didn't bother watching.

Top Bottom