• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

12-year-old Sikh boy arrested in US after classmate accuses him of carrying a bomb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mael

I guess in the land of free speech you can't joke about a bomb and not get thrown in jail...
This whole thing is all kinds of fucked up.

Quonny

Oh wow well now we know that, they should have shot the monster on the spot. Im sure if a white kid joked about a bomb he'd be arrested too, so fairs fair.

I was specifically commenting to the people who said he was being bullied and the bully made it up, but keep being a funny man, funny man.

I know this is defending really shitty behavior, but that's standard procedure in Texas. All bomb threats are to be taken seriously and law enforcement is called in. This is really more of the police's fault.

If that's the case then I'm not sure how the principal is at fault at all. If that's procedure then that's procedure. The police should've come in with the bomb squad or whoever they use for this and then when nothing is found the accuser should be suspended for something that serious.

emrober5

You don't joke about having a bomb in your bag.

Not in times like these. It could have been handled better (like by contacting the family), but evacuating the school and detaining the kid is absolutely justified.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
As a Sikh, seeing both the islamophobia and general disregard for black lives in America has always made me a bit scared Sikhs would be next and this is worrying. Like, a tangible worry is washing over me and not just a paranoid one.

Also I'm watching Inside Man again as I read this :|

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Principal should be jailed for child endangerment.

As a Sikh man that sports a turban and a beard, I was actually quite nervous going to Seattle last weekend and was glad to be home in Canada even though nothing happened to me. I read these stories and I feel awful for American Sikhs. I've had racist shit thrown at me after 9/11, and I was like 12.

It sucks. Between this and the guy who got shot in the face (thank God he survived)... I dunno. It sucks feeling this shitty about it. My heart goes out to them.

I'm glad I live in Vancouver.

I'm not sikh, but being an indian hindu and walking around with a beard, America is a very scary place right now. I'm not looking forward to going through immigration tomorrow when I fly home for Christmas.

yea....i'm going to have to put some of the blame on the kid here

While yes it's partly on the kid in this situation with no more details, putting myself in his shoes (which I've done before) it's not hard to see why he could've done it:

1. Kids are stupid and don't think of consequences.

2. He was a clown/goofball so probably awkward funny

3. He moved into a new school and went for the self-deprecating humor to try and dissolve any possible tension that might exist and to establish himself as the funny guy.

I've done similar things where I make a joke at my expense/ethnicity to bring down any racial tension that might exist among my closest coworkers/people I want to be friends with. Unfortunately in his case it's a bad political climate and he didn't take into consideration a bully/racist using it against him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom