• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

11th Anniversary of the Xbox One Reveal

Neon Xenon

Was watching an EFAP highlight where they talked about the Xbox One's failings and this conference was mentioned, along with Don Mattrick's colossal PR fuckup. It's wild looking back on this 11 years later. It was bad at the time, but I think I still underestimated how much damage that did to the Xbox brand.

I was waiting for this one, excellent. Oh, forgot about the clip about letting friends borrow your games:

That video could be seen as arrogant, smug, pompous, and Sony had every single right to do it.

Hero of Spielberg

Gold Member
It wasn't misreading. It was utterly shitting on their target audience and not giving a tot. They used the money from the 360 owners to make the One and said thank you and fuck you to the latter.

Don Mattick can choke on a bag o' dicks.
Hmm, obviously no business wants to can it's target audience, I think they just misread what that audience wanted and how broad it was (in terms of demo). Either way it was a colossal fuckl up from Don Matrick and one that was arguably the worst possible time to make given the transition to digital game libraries and BC with all consoles moving forward.

Xbox used to be the "gamer's gaming machine" the ultimate Mountain Dew chugging dudebro platform.

They decided they didn't like that enough, so they chased the Wii's casual audience, not realizing that was already a ship that had sailed, then they chase the Tumblr dyed hair audience, oops, they don't buy games.

So now they have nothing, destroyed their original brand image in favor of chasing ghosts, good job idiots.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Was watching an EFAP highlight where they talked about the Xbox One's failings and this conference was mentioned, along with Don Mattrick's colossal PR fuckup. It's wild looking back on this 11 years later. It was bad at the time, but I think I still underestimated how much damage that did to the Xbox brand.

That video could be seen as arrogant, smug, pompous, and Sony had every single right to do it.
Oh it was smug alright and I loved the living shit out of it after that Xbone reveal disaster.

undrtakr900

images
Microsoft should be thanking this man, because they were committed to the "always online" DRM console, until they got massive backlash after these tweets went viral, ultimately resulting in Microsoft backtracking.

It also gave us this gem/troll from Sony 😁

MacReady13

I hooked up my old 360 today for nostalgia’s sake. What an amazing system. Those arcade games were unbelievably good and the amount of classic games this system produced was stunning.

The fall Xbox has had since from around the release of the Kinect to today has been so sad. I really was the biggest Xbox fanboy and to be fair, I still want them to get back to the heights of the 360 days with similar types of games.

Sadly though, they’ve abandoned players like me for the casual, woke brigade who don’t want to own games.

They seem to think everyone wants to move to a future where we want to play games like Forza and Hellblade on a fucking bus, or on our lunch breaks at work! No. The majority of us don’t. We want to play those games at home, to fucking unwind.

I’ve just never seen such a fall from a company who once understood its customer base so well during the original Xbox era and the start of the 360 era to where they are today. And I lived through the Atari era and the Sega era! Xbox are lucky their parent company just happens to have billions/trillions to spare.

They fostered a community of gamers (mainly guys) who loved to play and communicate online and they’re still their biggest fans. They’ve dropped us for people who actually aren’t gamers! Pathetic Xbox.

The way the trolls here talk it's like there were no games on the One. I would say for all its faults and the terrible reveal, it had much better launch software than either the 360 or PS4 launch software, it also had some nice console exclusives. For a time the biggest issue with the system was the Underpowered GPU. I could take the Kinect pile of crap if the One had a better GPU than the PS4.

I've always had 3 issues with the XBox and there still around even today. PR isn't good enough and even in the 360 era this was true other than a nice ad for Gears. XBox never gives an IP a 2nd chance, unless it sells millions in the 1st week, I so wanted to see IP like Crimson Skies, RECORE, Quantum Break, and Lost Odyssey to grow and Xbox still lacks platformers for the family and kids.

The way the trolls here talk it's like there were no games on the One. I would say for all its faults and the terrible reveal, it had much better launch software than either the 360 or PS4 launch software, it also had some nice console exclusives.
I was recently gifted an Xbox One S. I am really enjoying it... to play Xbox 360 games. I looked online, I looked at my local shop, I can't find a single Xbox One game that I would buy on Xbox instead of PS4. I am not exaggerating. I would never buy Gears/Halo/Forza, so what does that leave me? Ryse Son of Rome? Every multi-platform game is better on PlayStation. Where are all these "exclusives" you mention?

I am genuinely asking: what games would someone who has PS4 even consider buying on Xbox One instead? I'd love to have at least one Xbox One game in my collection. In the meantime, I have a list of almost 20 Xbox 360 games that I want to get that are either exclusive or best on Xbox.

I found this article:

These are the best exclusive games? Yikes. Okay, so are there any multi-platform games that are better on Xbox One instead of PS4?

Last edited:
I was recently gifted an Xbox One S. I am really enjoying it... to play Xbox 360 games. I looked online, I looked at my local shop, I can't find a single Xbox One game that I would buy on Xbox instead of PS4. I am not exaggerating. I would never buy Gears/Halo/Forza, so what does that leave me? Ryse Son of Rome? Every multi-platform game is better on PlayStation. Where are all these "exclusives" you mention?

I am genuinely asking: what games would someone who has PS4 even consider buying on Xbox One instead? I'd love to have at least one Xbox One game in my collection. In the meantime, I have a list of almost 20 Xbox 360 games that I want to get that are either exclusive or best on Xbox.

I found this article:

These are the best exclusive games? Yikes. Okay, so are there any multi-platform games that are better on Xbox One instead of PS4?

I think you are trolling and hiding being hind I'm 'genuinely asking'. It would be like me asking what good exclusives are on the Switch but saying I would never buy Mario, Zelda, Luigi Ect and then you conveniently link to a site that happens to say (also out on PC) It's so predictable and so much trolling.

So Bye, bye troll

Drew1440

The way the trolls here talk it's like there were no games on the One. I would say for all its faults and the terrible reveal, it had much better launch software than either the 360 or PS4 launch software, it also had some nice console exclusives. For a time the biggest issue with the system was the Underpowered GPU. I could take the Kinect pile of crap if the One had a better GPU than the PS4.

I've always had 3 issues with the XBox and there still around even today. PR isn't good enough and even in the 360 era this was true other than a nice ad for Gears. XBox never gives an IP a 2nd chance, unless it sells millions in the 1st week, I so wanted to see IP like Crimson Skies, RECORE, Quantum Break, and Lost Odyssey to grow and Xbox still lacks platformers for the family and kids.
The TV,TV,TV excuse gets used too much, what caused the downfall of the Xbox one was it being priced at $499 when the competition was cheaper and was more powerful. The size of the console was also a concern when compared to the footprint of the PS4, but it was understandable that Microsoft really didn't want another RROD situation, so they gave the console as much cooling as possible. This is also reflected in the Series consoles, and shows the impact of the RROD still lives on to this day.

The TV,TV,TV excuse gets used too much, what caused the downfall of the Xbox one was it being priced at $499 when the competition was cheaper and was more powerful. The size of the console was also a concern when compared to the footprint of the PS4, but it was understandable that Microsoft really didn't want another RROD situation, so they gave the console as much cooling as possible. This is also reflected in the Series consoles, and shows the impact of the RROD still lives on to this day.
Size gets used too much too, more so when one looks at the size of the PS5. I didn't mind the higher price, the stupid look or the TV crap. It was the underpowered GPU and memory that hurt me, when that was always the main selling point of both the OG Xbox and 360 and then to make matters worse they reserved over 10% of an already underpowered GPU for Kinect. Kinect was really Xbox's own 32X moment :(

I will say mind that for me the XBox One launch software was far better than that of the 360, PS4, PS3, PS V and Series X (not that's saying anything)

With the Xbox 360 they consulted Epic on what they would like to see in regards to the hardware. With the Xbox One they asked ESPN lol. It's basically what my Dad would have designed if he was asked to design a games console and he hates games.

I think you are trolling and hiding being hind I'm 'genuinely asking'. It would be like me asking what good exclusives are on the Switch but saying I would never buy Mario, Zelda, Luigi Ect and then you conveniently link to a site that happens to say (also out on PC) It's so predictable and so much trolling.

So Bye, bye troll
I accept your refusal to answer as an answer: there is nothing.

I am a new Xbox One owner sincerely looking for Xbox One games. If anyone else has any suggestions that aren't: Halo, Forza, a GAAS, or online-only, I'd love to hear them. It feels weird to have this console and only use it for prior-gen games.

I was that taken aback by the initial reveal that I tried to convince myself it was a parody .

This place was a mess too, with the Thuways and Pete Dodds of this world lapping it up.

Top Bottom