• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Videogames that killed their developers!

KungFucius

King Snowflake
The video starts at 5 minutes for me. The APB embargo was ridiculous. I don't know how the fuck that happened.

Too Human. Silicon Knights was a super promising studio until they released that abomination.
Too Human was a severely under-rated, but far from perfect game. It didn't deserve one bit of the hate it deserved. The only valid criticism was the lack of content.

90% of the people who hated on Too Human either didn't play it or were not skilled enough as gamers to manage to move 2 sticks at once. It's still one of, if not the best, Hack and slash Loot RPG's to have ever released on consoles.

And the ScREEEchers who ruined the game and slagged it off were pandered to and look where that got us. Give me Too Human over 90% of the broken, dross, simplistic shite games, any day of the week.

Kokoloko85

They did a good job with Metal Gear, about the only time a metal gear game came to a Nintendo home console in recent years....(not taking into account any ds ports..)

They didnt an ok job with Twin snakes. Messed it up in my eyes. They ramped up the cheese and action in the cutscenes way too much.

Eternal Darkness was good but lots of issues and kinda still played rough

Last edited:
Too Human was a severely under-rated, but far from perfect game. It didn't deserve one bit of the hate it deserved. The only valid criticism was the lack of content.

90% of the people who hated on Too Human either didn't play it or were not skilled enough as gamers to manage to move 2 sticks at once. It's still one of, if not the best, Hack and slash Loot RPG's to have ever released on consoles.

And the ScREEEchers who ruined the game and slagged it off were pandered to and look where that got us. Give me Too Human over 90% of the broken, dross, simplistic shite games, any day of the week.
I loved the setting of Too human but then I have notoriously bad taste.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
A lot of those closures stemmed from the state of the industry at the time. Around 2011 a bunch of things were happening that had a profound impact on funding; for a start-off this was the height of the mobile gold-rush. On the console-side the success of Wii and Xbox 360 were cooling off, and Sony was still struggling with problems of its own creation, and launching the Vita into the most hostile market conditions imaginable. The FPS scene was consolidating around a handful of mega-franchises and it was apparent that competing with them would involve heavy investment and as a result risk.

This is the period when analysts were unanimously predicting the end of console gaming, and as a result a lot of companies went to the wall.

Neilg

Too Human. Silicon Knights was a super promising studio until they released that abomination.
Too human was a mess, but it didnt kill the studio. They tried to sue epic over the state of UE3 and blamed them for it's issues, then lost, and epic counter-sued claiming they'd stolen tech from UE3 to implement in their own engine, won, and a court demanded every game/in development project which used any tech or code stolen from UE3 had to be destroyed, with epic being given access to their servers to verify that this had happened. Which at that point was all of their games including 3 unannounced ones.

Stealing code from epic and having the balls to start a lawsuit with them is what killed the studio. Just an insane amount of hubris.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
What do you guys believe will be next game killing a developer? I have a name in mind but I’m too biased to say it.
GTA 6? Witcher 4?

Those games seem to me like they are going to be far worse than their predecesors. That said, they are very popular franchises, so they'll sell well even if mediocre.

Roufianos

They did an ok job with Twin snakes. Messed it up in my eyes. They ramped up the cheese and action in the cutscenes way too much.

Eternal Darkness was good but lots of issues and kinda still played rough
Didn't Kojima Productions handle the cutscenes?

Arthimura

What's is so bad about it? I see people saying good things about Too Human.

I got for free on Xbox some years ago, planned to play it some day.

Kuranghi

Here is an op on the cutscenes in TTS:

They were written and directed by Ryuhei Kitamura, of Versus fame, whom Kojima really liked. Koji even approved the cutscenes personally. I do like most of the new cutscenes tbh, but the game has tons of flaws not in the original, like the worse music, voice acting and the new MGS2 gameplay features ruining the challenge of the old level/AI design.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
They did a good job with Metal Gear, about the only time a metal gear game came to a Nintendo home console in recent years....(not taking into account any ds ports..)

Never played Too Human but gotta disagree here mate. Twin Snakes destroys the atmosphere and game balance of the original. Even the voice acting was somehow measurably worse despite bringing back the original cast. The cutscenes are not necessarily Silicon Night's fault. As Kuranghi Kuranghi pointed out the crazy new style effectively had Kojima's blessing. But in my opinion, and for many other fans, it is a markedly inferior remake.

I've only heard good things about their Eternal Darkness, though. Still gotta try it!

Spaceman292

Banned

Were you applying clown make up as you wrote this?

anothertech

Lair killed Factor 5
COD BO Reclassified killed Nstigate
Unit 13 killed Zipper Interactive
007 Legends killed Eurocom
Ghostbusters 2016 killed Fireforge games
APB killed Realtime Worlds
Homefront killed Kaos studios
Tomb Raider AoD killed Core Design
Tony Hawk's Pro 5 killed Robomodo
Haze killed Free Radical design

ethomaz

Banned
Lair killed Factor 5
COD BO Reclassified killed Nstigate
Unit 13 killed Zipper Interactive
007 Legends killed Eurocom
Ghostbusters 2016 killed Fireforge games
APB killed Realtime Worlds
Homefront killed Kaos studios
Tomb Raider AoD killed Core Design
Tony Hawk's Pro 5 killed Robomodo
Haze killed Free Radical design
Drive Club killed Evolution.
The Order killed RAD (some will say it is not but…)

Last edited:

skit_data

I’d say CP2077 pretty much killed all of CDPRs goodwill and respect amongst gamers. It may not have killed them as a developer but their fall from grace has been a really hard fall. If the next Witcher game isn’t top notch at launch they are done as a developer.

Reactions: Fuz

bender

What time is it?
Indeed but that was before Too Human. Twin Snakes is my favourite Metal Gear. Don’t hate me.
200w.gif

Krathoon

I was playing through that in an emulator on a Kindle.
Panzer Dragoon Saga, I mean.

Last edited:
Top Bottom